[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

@darren, be a gentleman an post the patched AICPUPM.kext for others to use, for some strange reason i couldn't create a working patched kext, i always got KP (hence the jump to clover).

So far i like clover, but it's obviously still a "child". Although the OC feature/bug is nice, i'm bothered by how it affects laptop life, especially since i have only 2 P-States and my old SSDT files are not getting loaded at all.

@Zulakis, i checked your ioreg... the same problem as on Lion. Basically your panel isn't compatible.... have you tried to plugin an external screen to see how the internal panel behaves?

No because i do not have a mini displayport adapter (+ no displayport monitor.)

Could you further describe what values attracted your interest, and why you think my panel is incompatible to os x?

I understand incompatible means there is no way to get os x lion / mountain lion running on my laptop. Is this correct?

Incompatible as in the freezing you experience. FBNeedsRefresh, i believe the value is called. This is the only constant i've seen in the ioregs of other people with freezing problems, that and the connection type value. Values that can't be altered by EFIString or DSDT, they require a patched/fixed driver.

You said that by removing the kext everything is ok?

Incompatible as in the freezing you experience. FBNeedsRefresh, i believe the value is called. This is the only constant i've seen in the ioregs of other people with freezing problems, that and the connection type value. Values that can't be altered by EFIString or DSDT, they require a patched/fixed driver.

You said that by removing the kext everything is ok?

Freezing as in there is no known solution how to fix this? :/

Regarding the connector type info I found this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=259705

Using this method I can change the connector type info, i already tried but had no success. Any idea what i should set it to?

Deleting these kexts

AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext
AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGA.plugin
AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle
AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsVADriver.bundle
AppleIntelHD4000Graphics.kext
AppleIntelHD4000GraphicsGA.plugin
AppleIntelHD4000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle
AppleIntelHD4000GraphicsVADriver.bundle
AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext
AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext
AppleIntelHDGraphicsGA.plugin
AppleIntelHDGraphicsGLDriver.bundle
AppleIntelHDGraphicsVADriver.bundle
AppleIntelIVBVA.bundle
AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext
AppleIntelSNBVA.bundle

my system hangs at the point where it usually starts into GUI-mode.

You could boot the installer and access the terminal.

cp -R /Volumes/NameOfStick/<Name of kext>.kext /Volumes/name of OS Partition/System/Library/Extensions/

If the name contains spaces you must write it like this

/Volumes/Name\ of\ OS/

AppleACPIPlatform.kext http://dl.dropbox.co...atform.kext.zip

Alright, I managed to add your kext to my System but unfortunately i'm still getting the same panic... any other ideas?

And I was able to retrieve my configuration: http://i.imgur.com/nkAig.png (maybe that helps)

@Zulakis, if memory serves, people with your problem tried that solution too but it didn't work.

AppleIntelSNB*.kext AppleIntelHD3000*.kext these are the only kexts loaded by Intel HD3000. The stalling itself is another symptom, since it shouldn't happen with the kexts deleted. If you have another system/tablet/smartphone, try to connect to the desktop using VNC, after activating screen sharing in System Preferences > Sharing (be sure to test you can connect before deleting the kexts again) and dump the ioreg again, this one should be more informative as to why it doesn't show the screen.

@LightFighter, let me check the package scripts to see what else it could have screwed. The scripts have fail-safe checks... i remember getting that error once and it was caused by the lacking AppleACPIPlatform.kext. Oh, have you booted with UseKernelCache=No ? (you need to)

Edited by DoiX

I have not, but even with UseKernelCache=No I get the same panic :(

Is there any other information I could give you that might help? I really appreciate you trying to help me.

Btw, I'm booting with rBoot and -v GraphicsEnabler=No busratio=20 UseKernelCache=No

Oooh... frankly, i think it's faster to reinstall OS X. And this time, install the kexts in 2 sessions, i believe the installer is a bit bugged when installing many kexts at once.

The usual "thumb" rule is to install strictly what you need to boot normally. In your case, let's say first the IMPORTANT! System part (as you selected) then the kexts, and lastly the applications (they are the largest so its possible they messed it up). Oh, maybe you should install Atheros Rollback after, unless you know for sure your atheros card isn't working with your OS X Version.

Booting with rBoot is my only Option because the bootloader obviously wasnt installed properly ( I just get "no Operation System found" when i try to Boot from harddrive). But when i Boot with rboot i get the panic.. same happens when i Boot it with the iatkos dvd

Ah.... that changes the problem. I didn't understood you're using rBoot as a bootloader. rBoot has a bunch of kexts in it which have priority over what you install on the HDD and sometimes they conflict with them. If your HDD is GUID partitioned you will have problems booting.

It's almost 5AM here, i have to sleep. I'll post tomorrow, when i can think straight, all possible fixes. Alternatively you could reinstall.... again, and skip the battery kexts install until you get your boot straight. I also suggest you use the installer package V1.2 it fixes some bugs with it.

Sorry for delay went to bed after getting it working

AICPUPM attached here - http://db.tt/aqAnTakv

I've used my old kexts for audio (but mine was always weird) and for battery/keyboard/mouse. Using the same Extra folder from Lion - with DoiX DDST/SSDT

Curiously I think when I had issues I think it was an error with AGPM - which i thought was power management for nvidia? Don't know what it was doing as the install was going very strange and not accelerating the display at all=mega slow. Not sure what I did that fixed it but glad am back fully working!

Nvidia would be the icing on the cake really now but not holding my breath (not doubting anyones ability just that Apple will have made it more difficult than it needed to be!)

I'll update the package installer with that as soon as i get Xcode. AGPM is for GPUs, none specific.

Is sound working okay for you? If i use any of the old kexts i hear dubstep in the speakers, and i haven't been successful in patching the GM ones because apple rewrote the kexts and the old patching methods are not working anymore.

@DoiX - Yep sound is fine - think previously i used the 702x kexts... The 502x ones never worked for me - my system is weird :)

The ones i use are from your pack, just installed right over the stock ones and everything is fine - in lion was bassy but now is perfect :)

@Zulakis, if memory serves, people with your problem tried that solution too but it didn't work.

AppleIntelSNB*.kext AppleIntelHD3000*.kext these are the only kexts loaded by Intel HD3000. The stalling itself is another symptom, since it shouldn't happen with the kexts deleted. If you have another system/tablet/smartphone, try to connect to the desktop using VNC, after activating screen sharing in System Preferences > Sharing (be sure to test you can connect before deleting the kexts again) and dump the ioreg again, this one should be more informative as to why it doesn't show the screen.

Seems like it doesn't fully boot (or instantly crashes?). I cannot connect using Mac Sharing or Teamviewer.

Do you have any other ideas how i could fix this :/

@DoiX: Alright, it's me again ^^ I reinstalled again and used the v1.2 installer this time. I didnt install any battery kexts so my System boots fine from rBoot.

I'm still having a lot of troubles tho. My WiFi card is not recognised (but I think that WiFi is not gonna work either way, right?), my ethernet card is recognized but I cant really connect to the internet.. when I insert a USB stick I get a kernel panic... etc :D

I think it would be good to get Chameleon working first. Because when i try to boot from Hard Drive I just get "No operation system found", even tho I have the Chameleon pref panel in my OS X system settings... Is there any way I can maybe re-install Chameleon? Maybe some of my kext problems will resolve when I can finally boot from Chameleon.

Thanks again :)

@Zulakis, i believe it boots, just that the GUI isn't initialized due to lack of driver. At the moment i have no other ideas..

@LightFighter Intel Wifi won't work, simply no support for it. Any USB devices must be plugged in the USB2 port (right side) usb 3 causes problems and can only be used for basic stuff, like recharging or connecting a flash stick. (and this is only after 10.7.4 update)

You can download chameleon and install it from inside OSX Enoch-rev.2003.pkg.zip (courtesy of ErmaC from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231075http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231075 ) . Anyway, like i said.. if you're HDD is partition GUID, you won't be able to boot directly from the HDD..

Okay but I got the panic when I plugged the usb stick into the USB2 Port :o

I think this GUID stuff might be true. So I guess I will have to reinstall AGAIN and use a MBR partiton table this time?

I will definitely try that later today. Thank you so much so far for your help!

Hmm, KP in the USB2 port, can't say what the reason may be, see if it panics if you boot with it already pluged in. But for now, MBR partition table, btw windows recovery partition can cause problems as well. If you don't use it you can format it (thats if you haven't already)

The sound issue is driving me nuts. Am i the only one to experience this? AppleHDA's are not working, VoodooHDA is partially working... it has echoes/breaks ever half a second, sounds almost like ... dubstep again.

Edited by DoiX