[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

@amh10, wish i knew, they are totally random and with no traceback. I have the feeling it's related to the powerstep the processor is in.

Incase anyone needs it:

I have the 1366x768 display and my info is:

"IODisplayEDID" = <00ffffffffffff0006afec220000000001130103902213780ac8959e575492260f5054000000010101010101010101010101010101016e195620500008301008340058c11000001a6e195620500008301008340058c11000001a000000fe00314a43324e80423135365857320000000000000000000000000001010a202000d4>

"DisplayVendorID" = 1711

"DisplayProductID" = 8940

"IODisplayPrefsKey" = "IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/GFX0@2/AppleIntelFramebuffer@0/display0/AppleBacklightDisplay-6af-22ec"

my Overide EDID file is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>DisplayProductID</key>

<integer>8940</integer>

<key>DisplayProductName</key>

<string>Dell LCD</string>

<key>DisplayVendorID</key>

<integer>1711</integer>

<key>IODisplayEDID</key>

<data>

AP///////wAGr+wiAAAAAAETAQOQIhN4CsiVnldUkiYPUFQAAAABAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEB

AQEBbhlWIFAACDAQCDQAWMEQAAAabhlWIFAACDAQCDQAWMEQAAAaAAAA/gAxSkMyToBC

MTU2WFcyAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEBCiAgANQ=

</data>

</dict>

</plist>

This completely fixed my display issues, THANK YOU!! My install had become almost unusable due to video issues, I haven't had any since creating the modified EDID.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well i copied the

<key>IODisplayEDID</key>
<data>
AP///////wAGr+0XAAAAAAAUAQSQIhN4AiE1rVA3qiQRUFQAAAABAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEB
AQEBeDeArnA4MkA8MKoAWMEQAAAaeDeArnA4MkA8MKoAWMEQAAAaAAAA/gBLWVlWS4BC
MTU2SFcxAAAAAAAAgQKbAQEAAAIBCiAgAAE=
</data>
</dict>
</plist>

So it looked like this

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<integer>6125</integer>
<string>Internal LCD</string>
<integer>1711</integer>
<key>IODisplayEDID</key>
<data>
AP///////wAGr+0XAAAAAAAUAQSQIhN4AiE1rVA3qiQRUFQAAAABAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEB
AQEBeDeArnA4MkA8MKoAWMEQAAAaeDeArnA4MkA8MKoAWMEQAAAaAAAA/gBLWVlWS4BC
MTU2SFcxAAAAAAAAgQKbAQEAAAIBCiAgAAE=
</data>
</dict>
</plist>

into my file , closed plist and then copied the whole "DisplayVendorID-6af" folder (6af being the first of the two color values) to System/Library/Displays/Overrides . I left all the other "DisplayVendorID" Folders also there.

Then i used kext wizard to repair the permissions and the cache and rebooted.

However still got a glitch earlier and my laptop froze too.

Where did i take the wrong turn?

Thanks for your help!

Did you name the Modified EDID correctly? mine for example is "DisplayProductID-22ec" without the quotes and no file extension. This is inside the "DisplayVendorID-6af" folder.

• Like 1

Macman updated the source code... he added the 1gb memory value instead of the 2gb. In case someone will wonder why it shows 1GB when booting.

Incase anyone needs it:

I have the 1366x768 display and my info is:

"IODisplayEDID" = <00ffffffffffff0006afec220000000001130103902213780ac8959e575492260f5054000000010101010101010101010101010101016e195620500008301008340058c11000001a6e195620500008301008340058c11000001a000000fe00314a43324e80423135365857320000000000000000000000000001010a202000d4>

"DisplayVendorID" = 1711

"DisplayProductID" = 8940

"IODisplayPrefsKey" = "IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/GFX0@2/AppleIntelFramebuffer@0/display0/AppleBacklightDisplay-6af-22ec"

my Overide EDID file is:

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<integer>8940</integer>

<string>Dell LCD</string>

<integer>1711</integer>

<key>IODisplayEDID</key>

<data>

AP///////wAGr+wiAAAAAAETAQOQIhN4CsiVnldUkiYPUFQAAAABAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEB

AQEBbhlWIFAACDAQCDQAWMEQAAAabhlWIFAACDAQCDQAWMEQAAAaAAAA/gAxSkMyToBC

MTU2WFcyAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEBCiAgANQ=

</data>

</dict>

</plist>

This completely fixed my display issues, THANK YOU!! My install had become almost unusable due to video issues, I haven't had any since creating the modified EDID.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Did you name the Modified EDID correctly? mine for example is "DisplayProductID-22ec" without the quotes and no file extension. This is inside the "DisplayVendorID-6af" folder.

Yeah well i think so.

Terminal looks like this for this part

IODisplayPrefsKey" = "IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/GFX0@2/AppleIntelFramebuffer@0/display0/AppleBacklightDisplay-6af-17ed

And the file looks like this now

6zr66x.png

For i7 SSDT users: If you're like me switching the SSDT for when you need the extra power or the extra battery life then you will love this simple app that does exactly that with only one click!

Requirements: Unmodified versions of my SSDTs (SSDT-9TS.aml & SSDT-3TS.aml ) placed in the / root partition. One of them must be name SSDT.aml for the script to locate the files properly.

Turbo State Toggle.zip

For i3 & i5 users, do you use a different SSDT.aml file or just the "EnablerPStates=Yes" & "EnableCStates=Yes" boot arguments?

For i7 SSDT i7 users: If you're like me switching the SSDT for when you need the extra power or the extra battery life then you will love this simple app that does exactly that with only one click!

Requirements: Unmodified versions of my SSDTs (SSDT-9TS.aml & SSDT-3TS.aml ) placed in the / root partition. One of them must be name SSDT.aml for the script to locate the files properly.

Turbo State Toggle.zip

For i3 & i5 users, do you use a different SSDT.aml file or just the "EnablerPStates=Yes" & "EnableCStates=Yes" boot arguments?

I use SSDT.aml in the root and DropSSDT as boot argument...

@Maxey

That all looks right, are you still getting video issues?

Yeah unfortunately i do. Just in this very moment having it and also random system freezes. Hmm for now have increased the automatically saving time of word to 3 minutes :D

Still... a little bit annoying anyway...

And if you remove the SSDT.aml does your system score less in geekbench?

You mean, while the system is running? Or just before I reboot?

I can try it tonight... So, correct me if I'm wrong :

1) Boot with DropSSDT and SSDT.aml in the root of my install partition ;

2) Run GeekBench (64bit) and see the result ;

3) Delete or change the SSDT.aml (with the 3 states one) ;

4) Re-run Geekbench and compare the results.

If my results are worse than with the SSDT for i5-2430M, I suppose I can use this soft because the SSDT tables have changed when I changed/deleted it. If not, I can't.

Anyway, I'll try it tonight, when I come back from work (around 6.00pm - Brussels/Paris time).

OK, thank you Rockball.

1 & 2 correct.

3. just rename the SSDT to anything else so the bootloader won't load it

4. correct, if there's a drop in geekbench score i'll update my app to be compatible with i3/i5 users.

About the restart bug, i'm experimenting with some applescript to avoid the bug, so far i'm successful but it's rather slow, the whole restart process taking around a minute... i'll post the script as soon as it's complete!

Update: well, i managed to reduce it to 20 seconds, it depends from system to system of course. Basically the script shuts down the laptop after programing it to power up 10-20 seconds later. It would be faster and easier i guess to just shutdown then power up manually, but hey... lazy mode on!

Restart Script.zip

OK, thank you Rockball. 1 & 2 correct. 3. just rename the SSDT to anything else so the bootloader won't load it 4. correct, if there's a drop in geekbench score i'll update my app to be compatible with i3/i5 users. About the restart bug, i'm experimenting with some applescript to avoid the bug, so far i'm successful but it's rather slow, the whole restart process taking around a minute... i'll post the script as soon as it's complete!
Ok, I did it but I'm experiencing something weird...

I boot into Lion 10.7.2 with SSDT and DropSSDT, run Geekbench and the score is about 6150 (it is normally about 6700). Then I renamed SSDT.aml to SSDT 2.aml, rebooted and ran Geekbench : score remained the same : around 6150...

My question is : Would the drop in scores (6700 to 6100) be related to the fact I'm on my battery and not on power?

So, I'll try tomorrow to see the results while charging my computer :)

Anyway, thanks for your great support! And, what is your Applescript doing to avoid the restart bug?

@Rockball, uhm i think chimera might load the SSDT if it's name SSDT2, SSDT 2 or SSDT-2. Not sure tho, anyway the score drop on real macs is related to the battery/power.

About the applescript, i updated my previous post, read it there :P

@Rockball, uhm i think chimera might load the SSDT if it's name SSDT2, SSDT 2 or SSDT-2. Not sure tho, anyway the score drop on real macs is related to the battery/power. About the applescript, i updated my previous post, read it there :P

Yeah, I tried it just now with the power (not battery) and I'm at about 6700, like previously, so no problem on my install :D

About the SSDT tables, I tried loading OS X with no SSDT table in Extra or root and "DropSSDT=Yes", and as weird as it can be, I read the "SSDT table added" line when Chimera loads OS X... Related to "UseKernelCache=Yes"?

Yes, I read your up-to-date post when connecting :) I'll try it as far as I ended my work. Writing my thesis too... [Mode boring : ON] :)

I'll try to load OS X with Enable P/C-States and see if the results are the same...

Hello,

I used the great guide written by Mahesh for l702x to install 10.7.2. (http://www.insanelym...howtopic=273500).

Everything was working, except an issue which my be related to USB.

Mahesh told me to replace my DSDT by the one included in l502x V6 pack, and redirected me here.

That's what I did but it didn't fix the issues.

I already gave some details about my problem in the other thread, but I'll repeat them here:

My WiFi dongle is a DLINK DWA-121, which is supposed to work with Realtek Lion drivers (chipset RTL8188) according to HCL 10.7.3.

Unfortunately I can't get it to work, WiFi stays unavailable (not visible in Preferences / Network pane), it looks like the dongle is not detected at all.

I tried a few different drivers with no luck.

Sometimes it hangs on startup and I have to remove the dongle and reboot, sometimes nothing happens at all.

The second issue is that my iPhone is not showing up either when I plug it.

I can tell that something happens when I connect it on USB, because iTunes freezes and the whole system becomes really sluggish.

The WiFi dongle and the iPhone being both connected on USB, I was wondering if these two issues might be related to a more generic USB driver issue?

Has anyone encountered issues when plugging an iPhone or other USB devices?

I tried with a simple USB key and it worked perfectly, so this might be a wrong lead...

Thanks in advance for your help!

@marcassin, USB3 ports are problematic, get a usb hub and plug it in the USB2 port (right side USB/E-Sata).

I also have a wifi stick, which is supported... in theory that is. It only works in 32bit mode, maybe it's the same case for you? Afaik most manufacturers provide drivers only for 32bit mode...

@Rockball, chimera generates some SSDT tables by itself, but most of the time they're not good.

Oh ok. I tried with Enable P/C States options ticked and DropSSDT disabled, with SSDT.aml in the root of my partition and the score dropped down to 5100...

Maybe I'm the only one experiencing it, I really don't know.

@ Marcassin :

About the USB WiFi stick : I bought a DWA-131 before I bought a Dell 1510 Wifi card. I found drivers on the internet and I thought it wasn't working because I had nothing in the Networ prefpane... I was very sad because it cost me 25€ but the day after that, I found an app in the Launchpad (I don't remember the exact name, but the logo was something like "Wireless", you know?) So I launched it and there my dongle was supported, showing the differents networks available : You have to launch this app' at every boot to get WiFi working, and let it run all the time. It replaces the network prefpane...

Maybe there is something like this for you.

About the hang on boot while dongle connected : Go to your BIOS settings and disable "USB Virtualization". It fixed the problem for me, with a bluetooth dongle...

Like DoiX said, for the USB3 ports, they are a little bit problematic. I haven't exerienced KP when hot unplugging something from them for a while, but the best way to avoid it is to buy a USB hub (I bought a 12ports USB HUB with a sector adaptator for 10€ and it's working perfectly with 2 external HDD of 2To and my bluetooth dongle, my printer, and some extra things, all plugged at the same time).

I installed Mountain Lion DP2... it's better in terms of performances but it has a kernelcache bug (on my system atleast) after a couple of restarts it can't boot with UseKernelCache=Yes because it doesn't detect the root partition... weird.

Still, it's not yet ready to be used as main OS!

Update: i've posted a while back saying that my 10.7.3 installation is unstable as hell, kernel panics with not apparent traceback and such. If anyone else encounters this problem you can update to 10.7.4 (it's in beta testing now but it's stable and bugless... you can find it on the internet) and everything will be alright again.

Don't forget to reinstall manually or via my installer pack the following kexts: AppleHDA, IOAudioFamily, ApplePS2Controller.kext, AppleACPIPlatform.kext. To re-enable speedstep/sleep install a patched AICPUPM.kext from 10.7.2 or 10.7.3 whichever was stable on your system because for now there is no working patcher script for 10.7.4.

Oh, a funny thing in 10.7.4 using AICPUPM.kext from 10.7.2, SSDT files are no longer necessary. GeneratePStates=Yes CSTUsingSystemIO=Yes and DropSSDT=Yes are now enough to have all power states. However, this might be the case only for i7 users... you never know what apple screws up.

Notice for Atheros users: Since 10.7.3 and above, depending on your atheros card, you will loose WiFi. To fix this you need to rollback(reinstall) the IO80211Family.kext from 10.7.2. This situation occurs in Moutain Lion DP2 as well.

Edited by DoiX
  • Like 2

Update: i've posted a while back saying that my 10.7.3 installation is unstable as hell, kernel panics with not apparent traceback and such. If anyone else encounters this problem you can update to 10.7.4 (it's in beta testing now but it's stable and bugless... you can find it on the internet) and everything will be alright again.

Don't forget to reinstall manually or via my installer pack the following kexts: AppleHDA, IOAudioFamily, ApplePS2Controller.kext, AppleACPIPlatform.kext. To re-enable speedstep/sleep install a patched AICPUPM.kext from 10.7.2 or 10.7.3 whichever was stable on your system because for now there is no working patcher script for 10.7.4.

Oh, a funny thing in 10.7.4 using AICPUPM.kext from 10.7.2, SSDT files are no longer necessary. GeneratePStates=Yes CSTUsingSystemIO=Yes and DropSSDT=Yes are now enough to have all power states. However, this might be the case only for i7 users... you never know what apple screws up.

Great news that it's working. Though, is it better in term of performance? Or the same as in 10.7.2?

And, I suppose (in this case, of course because it's a beta) that we always have to install the update (10.7.3 or 10.7.4) by downloading it from the Apple website and then install it?

I'll try DP2 of Mountain Lion tonight, because I didn't succed with DP1 : a lot of things not working (mail, calendar, ... and many other apps would'nt start!).

Anyway, thanks for the information DoiX :)

Recommended update method is by manually downloading the updates, even if it's not a beta. As for performances.. i can't really tell. I did a series of 10 geekbench tests... the avg score is 100 higher than on 10.7.2 but that can be caused by many things.

Actually, that's what I thought... And what I did to update from 10.7.1 to 10.7.2.

Yes of course it can be from many things for the Geekbench scores.

But did you notice changes with HD3000 for example? Any improvements with it in the interface...

As somebody noticed some improvements in Mountain Lion : more fluidity, less 'lag', .... :)