Can't get your X1600XT working with borisbadenov etc?

Ciber

60 posts in this topic

could it be that our problem with extended desktop is somehow related to this?

No, the problem has to do with the graphics driver not being properly initialized (because the BIOS bootloader is being used, instead of EFI) and not creating a second "context".

It has nothing to do with Apple disabling extended desktop mode as was done in some older models.

Ok Bofors, so what actually makes the difference between Intel GMA and our ATIs?

I mean, Intel GMA950 has Extended desktop support right from the box, because it is used in

minis? Right?

So using a graphic card from Apple should bring full support? Or these cards wouldnt be even

recognised by our hackintoshes?

I am a bit confused about this extended support issue. Is EFI the only way how to get full support?

Sorry for all those stupid questions, but I'm quite happy with my Core2Duo, just missing the full

graphic support.

Ok Bofors, so what actually makes the difference between Intel GMA and our ATIs?

Namely the graphics driver, and probably fact that the GMA 900 was used to BIOS was used to boot OS X on the Developer Transitions kits.

So using a graphic card from Apple should bring full support? Or these cards wouldnt be even

recognised by our hackintoshes?

I do not if anyone has tried this yet, but I think the problem would be the same (at least for the ATI Mac Pro card), the BIOS boot loader we using will not properly initialize the driver. But it still possible that the Nvidia Mac Pro might work, because that is different driver.

Is EFI the only way how to get full support?

Well, the last time I checked, EFI was not working here, yet people were certainly getting close. But yes, I absolutely think EFI is the way to go. It should solve this and a number of problems at a fundemental level. Without EFI, hackintoshs are never going to be 100% compatible with real Macs.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a HIS X1600XT 2xDVI and tried flashing. The flash worked fine, but the DVIs dosen't work. I have to use the DVI->RGB converter. Tried both DVI ports, and only VGA works.

HIS BIOS P/N: 123-00SC1H06-00R SSID: 2050

Sapphire BIOS P/N: 11x-5C8801SA-008 SSID: 0880

EDIT: I also tried with Sapphire 11x-5C8801SA-009 but with the same result as the 008.

jbond: Can you please send me your HIS X1600XT BIN-file? I used the one Jemm posted in this thread.

guys.. for working and not working flashing their cards..

what type of memory chips and speed did your card have? i think this is important before flashing your card..

example (taken from techpowerup)

Sapphire X1600Pro 256 PCIE

Infineon 2.5 ns

Core 500 / mem 405

Ciber,

Thanks for creating the ISO. I have an enhancement that also allows DVI-only booting.

I have discovered a problem with the ATI BIOS I recommended; It does not allow one to boot in DVI when it has been applied to the Asus EAX1600XT Silent card. The OS runs fine and works in DVI, but you can't see the boot if you only have a DVI monitor connected.

I have found an alternative BIOS.

The site vnunet.com has a nice article called Firmware Secrets Revealed that refers to mvktech.net, which has a repository of ATI BIOS files.

The Club 3D BIOS can be flashed into the EAX1600XT Silent to resolve the issue with DVI-only booting. It also allows excellent support under Windoze wit the latest ATI Catalyst drivers (with one or two monitors) and it is possible to switch between VGA and DVI on-the-fly (not perfect, but works) under OS X.

Just remember, you need to use the "force" (or -f) command when flashing if you're changing manufacturers. I've found that atiwinflash works find from under XP, either command line or graphically.

In researching this, I flashed the BIOS of my EAX1600XT at least a dozen times with MSI, Sapphire, Club 3D and Asus BIOSes and had no problems at all. YMMV. AYOR. Etc. I have only tried 256MB PCI-E 1600XT BIOSes.

The effect upon OS X is instant: the wrong BIOS craps out; the right BIOS works perfectly.

Ciao.

Wahoo!! After 2 days of flashing and re-installations, finally got full features on my HIS X1600XT dual DVI card after reading Ciber's initial post.

Followed the instructions and booted up on the bootable ISO after burning it on a CDROM. Was not able to save the original BIOS as the CD is not writable. Proceeded and installed a thumb drive with the ATIFLASH utility and Sapphire BIOS on USB. Switch to the thumbdrive by typing C: and then save the original BIOS, then flash with shapphire BIOS and restart.

Got full range of resolutions WITHOUT CI/QE on VGA/DVI adapter only. No signal if I connect direct on DVI port as I was on JAS 10.4.8. with Neopheus v3.5 installer. (Same results when graphic card flashed with ASUS X1600XT BIOS or MSI X1600XT BIOS)

Flashed the graphic card again with the Shappire BIOS, moved my 10.4.8 system files to the trash and reinstalled JAs 10.4.7 with the x1600 driver ticked. Rebooted and everything now works, DVI CI Q/E sleep, the second DVI port not working though.

With VGA/DVI adapter installed, sleep does not function.

post-61582-1162636683_thumb.png

I have a HIS X1600XT 2xDVI and tried flashing. The flash worked fine, but the DVIs dosen't work. I have to use the DVI->RGB converter. Tried both DVI ports, and only VGA works.

HIS BIOS P/N: 123-00SC1H06-00R SSID: 2050

Sapphire BIOS P/N: 11x-5C8801SA-008 SSID: 0880

EDIT: I also tried with Sapphire 11x-5C8801SA-009 but with the same result as the 008.

jbond: Can you please send me your HIS X1600XT BIN-file? I used the one Jemm posted in this thread.

You flashed to 009?

:) I've tried this method (flashing w sapphire bios) after many many tries with other methods (2 months of reinstalling etc). Worked great for me, DVI out working at 1920X1200 resolution also all the rest QE, CI Rotation, all resolutions. Only one problem, when I boot up (on DVI) I get a black screen during the entire booting-up process no vga resolutions at boot up until I get fully to the OSX desktop. I can't see what’s going on even if I try to get into my computer bios for setup options. My Video Card is an ASUS X1600XT Rev.1 Silent. Is there a place where I can set vga resolutions for boot up inside any kext file?