Mac OS X Lion (Developer Preview) Released

harrydeo

1,521 posts in this topic

netcas writes that current chameleon bootloaders cant boot Lion (the dev version) :)

But, if not netcas specific problem (his hardware) i think that can be fixed if Lion is real available for the bootloader heros.

PS: It seems to be that the lion dev -dmg is now at the torrent bay ;)

Hello!

I downloaded the Preview Build, and i found some Info, maybe it can help:

When You mount the main dmg (Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Developer Preview.dmg) You can found only an Installer App.

Right click on that, and select Show Package Contents

There You need navigate to the Contents/SharedSupport

Here You can found an InstallESD.dmg and an mpkg file (this is useless). Open the dmg.

You will get a new window with a new Installer app, and nothing more.

But wait... The InstallerESD.dmg is 3,6Gb, and this Installer is only 5,6Mb... Maybe...

Open the latest Volume in Terminal ("cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/"), and type this command: "ls -a"

Oh, look... This is the real installer image with all the files... (BaseSystem.dmg, Packages, kernel, boot.efi...)

These are invisible files and dirs, but You can open them in Finder with a simple Terminal command (example: "open Packages")

I hope somebody can start brainstorming with these files. (And You can stole the new kexts from here, *MAYBE* some will work in SL too.)

post-359059-1298681260_thumb.jpg

Hello!

I downloaded the Preview Build, and i found some Info, maybe it can help:

When You mount the main dmg (Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Developer Preview.dmg) You can found only an Installer App.

Right click on that, and select Show Package Contents

There You need navigate to the Contents/SharedSupport

Here You can found an InstallESD.dmg and an mpkg file (this is useless). Open the dmg.

You will get a new window with a new Installer app, and nothing more.

But wait... The InstallerESD.dmg is 3,6Gb, and this Installer is only 5,6Mb... Maybe...

Open the latest Volume in Terminal ("cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/"), and type this command: "ls -a"

Oh, look... This is the real installer image with all the files... (BaseSystem.dmg, Packages, kernel, boot.efi...)

These are invisible files and dirs, but You can open them in Finder with a simple Terminal command (example: "open Packages")

I hope somebody can start brainstorming with these files. (And You can stole the new kexts from here, *MAYBE* some will work in SL too.)

post-359059-1298681260_thumb.jpg

Tryed to extract basesystem.dmg to hdd, installed bootloader... Tryed to boot, but system restarted immedeatly after chameleon was finished. No KP - only reboot

Tryed to extract basesystem.dmg to hdd, installed bootloader... Tryed to boot, but system restarted immedeatly after chameleon was finished. No KP - only reboot

We need check this on real Mac, maybe this base system not bootable alone (because it not designed to be bootable). If it right, maybe we can use these files to Install Lion from SnowLeo (Like the Install from Leopard in the early days in the SnowLeo era...)

The installer in these dmg runnable on SL, but it told, it can't found the Leo files.. Maybe some hacker can look in it a little bit deeper, i think the Installer try to found the pre-copied files on the root disk, but it can't found that... Maybe we can replace the path, where the Installer searching for these files...

post-359059-1298682476_thumb.jpg

I tryed to boot 10.6.6 with the new Lion kernel (without install, i only replaced the kernel), but i got only a nice reboot.

I think we can't boot the Lion kernel without proper bootloader support. Maybe somebody can try to restore the InstallESD.dmg to an USB drive and replace the kernel to the original 10.6.6 kernel... It might work.

The install and other things are in 10.7 much different that older OS X installs!

So there will be different kind of probs: Install way inself (can be handled by hand made install of all .pkg + Basesystem.dmg) and maybe kernel / boot differences (more anti hackintosh "walls" than in 10.4..10.6).

I think we must be patient for the next few weeks - very fast solutions would be magic :P

PS: My stand is also an quick reboot with C2D system after handmade install.

So i think its not an .kext driver problem, more kernel or other things (efi, booter).

It will be interesting to see how the new recovery partition will be used by us. No more usb stick, retail dvd. Copy your extensions to this partition once and for all and you are good to go. Even if you break the main system, boot into recovery partition and do whatever necessary.

Am I dreaming? Please tell me I am not. :P

That XPC UEFI booter is very old, never worked for me. (in 10.5 time). Maybe because it cant handle AHCI native, i use.

XPC software details:

⁃ The actual release don't manage boot device selection (please use your BIOS to set up priority)

⁃ The actual release don't manage AHCI protocol, please use IDE/USB devices or set SATA as IDE.

⁃ The actual release don't manage kernel flags, the default flag is set to verbose.

⁃ The actual release manage only HFS and FAT file systems

usr-sse2 reported ( http://netkas.org/?p=624#comment-152416 ):

"XPC booted Lion just fine! I’m writing from system booted from BaseSystem.dmg, deployed to a partition! There’s nothing to do with FakeSMC, it just works."

post-359059-1298813157_thumb.jpg

XPC booter : iPhoneTom_loader.zip

I hope it will work for us too.

do not believe any crabs ... netkas will soon have a solution ... stand by ...