Diskless Leopard Installation + Local Time Machine

Adrian Fogge

29 posts in this topic

I have done some checking around and have found a really great way to install Leopard on a system without having either a Dual-Layer DVD or external storage media of any kind.

First off, you must resize your Main partition down by 10GB-20GB Depending on personal preferences through either Disk Utility or one of the other Paid partitioning tools avaliable.

Example:

Hydra - (HFS+) 120GB

- Becomes -

Hydra - (HFS+) 110GB

TimeMachine - (HFS+) 10GB

After that is accomplished, go into your Disk Utility and restore your Leopard Installation DVD Image to the TimeMachine partition and reboot to the TimeMachine partition.

Format your main Harddisk partition to HFS+ to make room for Leopard.

Start your installation

After the installation is completed, go into Disk Utility and format your TimeMachine partition.

Once your TimeMachine partition is blank, go into your System Preferences -> Time Machine and set your backup interval to "Automatic", the Data Storage location as "/Volumes/TimeMachine".

Personally, I set TimeMachine to only work with my Home directory minus Videos and Music as to maximize storage avaliable for backing up documents and settings on the system.

The initial backup for me minus Videos and Music was 3.5GB. I tested TimeMachine, and it would appear that it does not perform a "Complete" backup at every interval, meaning at the rate that I change and create new documents, I would have 14 months before the remaining 6.5 GB is utilized.

When it comes to the stuff that it would be backing up is source code files, e-mails, contacts, documents, reports and other text based items.

If you have another Mac at your disposal (could be a hackintosh as well, as long as you have firewire), boot your real mac while holding "t" to enter Target Disk Mode, which will make your computer act as an external firewire harddrive. From there, you can partition with iPartition, Drive Genious or one of the other partitioning tools avaliable for OS X.

If you do not have another mac at your disposal, you may want to go to http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/where.xml and download the Gentoo PPC Minimal Installation CD, record that, boot to it, and then use "parted /dev/hda"

In there, type "resize" and follow the menus to specify what size you need.

After that is done, type "exit", "reboot" and then you can proceed with the guide as listed above.

If you have another Mac at your disposal (could be a hackintosh as well, as long as you have firewire), boot your real mac while holding "t" to enter Target Disk Mode, which will make your computer act as an external firewire harddrive. From there, you can partition with iPartition, Drive Genious or one of the other partitioning tools avaliable for OS X.

If you do not have another mac at your disposal, you may want to go to http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/where.xml and download the Gentoo PPC Minimal Installation CD, record that, boot to it, and then use "parted /dev/hda"

In there, type "resize" and follow the menus to specify what size you need.

After that is done, type "exit", "reboot" and then you can proceed with the guide as listed above.

i wasn't able to get that to work, no matter what i did or typed (on gentoo) all i got back was "invalid file structure/system" or something like that :S anything else i can do?

First off Nigel, do you have a PPC mac?

On a side note, here is another solution that is much less elegant, but it will work.

If you have all of your data backed up, then here is one method that you can use...

It will lose absolutely everything, so watch out...

Back up all of your data to an external harddrive including the Leopard DMG.

Insert your original OS X install disk, repartition your internal drive from there with your two partitions. Restore your Leopard DMG from the External Harddrive to your Time Machine partition. 

Reboot.

Install from the Time Machine Partition by pressing Option at boot and selecting the drive. 

Restore all of your files back to your installation after all is said and done.

First off Nigel, do you have a PPC mac?

On a side note, here is another solution that is much less elegant, but it will work.

If you have all of your data backed up, then here is one method that you can use...

It will lose absolutely everything, so watch out...

Back up all of your data to an external harddrive including the Leopard DMG.

Insert your original OS X install disk, repartition your internal drive from there with your two partitions. Restore your Leopard DMG from the External Harddrive to your Time Machine partition. 

Reboot.

Install from the Time Machine Partition by pressing Option at boot and selecting the drive. 

Restore all of your files back to your installation after all is said and done.

yeah i do have PPC mac, unfortunately i don't have a big enough external drive to carry out an operation like that. I'm pretty limited to what i can do right now. i installed an old copy of tiger i had to my ipod mini to try and run ipartition....but it says i only have 128mb free on my internal drive, so i can't add a new partition with it i don't think.

All you need on the external drive is enough space for the Installation Image and your personal files. 

I am not sure about how much stuff you have, but the install image is 5GB, and then the other stuff all you would need to keep is your Documents, Music & Videos as all Apps can be re-installed/re-downloaded.

Either way, when you are dealing with installing another OS, you definitely should be backing up your stuff because odds are that something will go horribly wrong. If it is not backed up, then you are pretty much SOL.

I was just trying to get Frontrow working on my Powerbook 17" HR, as it needs the IR receiver to run even under Leopard. I did the normal little hacks that one would do under Leopard and in turn I was left where only one out of every 10 programs ran, could not connect to the internet, all kinds of nonsense. 

Not to mention how fonts started randomly missing characters... Try working with no "M" "Q" "T" "E" "I" "<space>" "4" or "7"

In turn, I needed to reinstall everything because I could not get Disk Utility to run so I could mount my external drive to put all my stuff on it. 

If I did not have my backups from a couple days ago, I would truly be screwed.

All you need on the external drive is enough space for the Installation Image and your personal files. 

I am not sure about how much stuff you have, but the install image is 5GB, and then the other stuff all you would need to keep is your Documents, Music & Videos as all Apps can be re-installed/re-downloaded.

Either way, when you are dealing with installing another OS, you definitely should be backing up your stuff because odds are that something will go horribly wrong. If it is not backed up, then you are pretty much SOL.

I was just trying to get Frontrow working on my Powerbook 17" HR, as it needs the IR receiver to run even under Leopard. I did the normal little hacks that one would do under Leopard and in turn I was left where only one out of every 10 programs ran, could not connect to the internet, all kinds of nonsense. 

Not to mention how fonts started randomly missing characters... Try working with no "M" "Q" "T" "E" "I" "<space>" "4" or "7"

In turn, I needed to reinstall everything because I could not get Disk Utility to run so I could mount my external drive to put all my stuff on it. 

If I did not have my backups from a couple days ago, I would truly be screwed.

hmmmmm....so really all i need is my tiger image (yes i pirated it too), leopard image, music, documents and photos. i just dunno if i have all the space for that. i'm limited to a 20 gig usb hard drive and an ipod mini.

That will work.

What you will want to do is back up your documents and the Leopard Image to your external drive, use your Leopard disk, go directly into the Disk Utility on the Leopard Install Disc, format your internal hard disk, create your two partitions, restore the Leopard Image to your Time Machine partition, reboot to Time Machine Partition, install. 

is a time machine partition necessary. What i'm planning to do is put my itunes library of 10.66gb on to my external along with my tiger and leopard image. i'm running tiger on my ipod mini right now...so after i've moved my necessary info to my external drive i will format and partition my internal drive in to 2 partitions. i will mount the tiger image and install it to one partition and install my leopard image to the other, then i'll boot to tiger (which i want to be primary) and move my pictures or w/e back...whilst keeping my itunes library on the external drive (been doing that for a while anyway). Will this then work out ok?

No, a time machine partition is not necissary, however the purpose here is to be able to have local Time Machine support, so that people with Notebooks can have access to their backups when they are on the go versus needing to wait until they get home to access their previous versions of documents, or missing a backup entirely.

I more came up with this to help myself, and since it worked for me I thought that I would share it with everyone else.

There are many other ways to install Leopard, or any other operating system for that manner and the trick is finding one that not only works for you but does everything that you want it to.

Hi all,

I've read a lot about dvd, dl, etc... within these forums, many thanks, but I'm not sure that I have been able to sort and extract the best information about this subject : Leopard safe installation.

I did all preparations for what I understood about Leo DVD, download, unrar, convert, mount, remove XCode, dismount, prepare a 4.7 Go image (4.4 free), restore, all this steps were successfull but I couldn't success to put 5.05 Go within 4.4 Go ;) , I was getting always error 34, after many tentatives I gave up since I don' have any DL DVD.

I'm transferring the downloaded files onto my iPod (60 Go, 20 free), I've tried to transfer the .dmg but the Mac mini couldn't complete the 5 Go copy.

So I'm wondering if, within my Mac Mini (PPC not intel), Tiger and Leopard could live together without any fighting :whistle: .

Before to mess up my last live computer (for the time being) I'd like to be sure that the following tasks are possible:

1 - make a partition for Leo (10 Go) on the Mac mini HDD (80 Go, 25 free) on the fly from Mac mini.

2 - install a dual boot for Tiger and Leopard on Mac mini.

3 - install Leopard from iPod to Mac mini.

Thanks for your help,

lion

Yes, Leopard and Tiger can coexist on the same system, including PPC systems.

Lets start at the begining for you.

First, as you can not use diskutil to resize your active partiton, we will need to do something a little creative.

First, copy /usr/bin/open to your iPod, along with a drive partitioning tool (like iPartition, unless you have a personal favorite).

Copy your Leopard Image (DMG) to your iPod (still as the image file)

Boot to your original install discs (does not matter which version, as long as you have access to "Terminal").

After you are booted into your Install Disc, open your terminal.

/Volumes/iPod/open /Volumes/iPod/iPartition.app (or substitute for your own partitioner of choice)

Resize your main installation partition down by however big you want Leopard to be.

Create a new Journaled HFS+ partition for where you want Leopard.

Quit iPartition and open Disk Utility

Mount your Leopard Image and go back to your Terminal.

/Volumes/iPod/open "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/OSdata.pkg"

Now, the Leopard install screen will pop up, and you will go through the normal menus to do everything.

When you are done installing, you will be able to choose between Leopard and Tiger by pressing your Option key at boot.

This was all from memory and I think that I have the path wrong for the OS Data Package, however it should be something close, and as long as you to "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/OS" you can use Tab to find the correct package to use.

If you run into any problems, let me know and I will help you to get this resolved asap.

Adrian Fogge

I was thinking, if you have another Mac avaliable (can be a hackintosh), then you can get your Mini running with the repartitioning very easily...

What you would do is set your Mini in Target Disk Mode (T at boot), and then use a partitioning tool like iPartition, Drive Genious, (fill in the blank) and then resize your "active" partition that way without needing to use an external storage device or your installation discs. 

After that point, while still in Target disk mode, you can open the installer directly on your other computer and direct it to install on the free partition on the other computer. 

After that is done, all you would need to do is use Option on your Mini to choose between Leopard and Tiger.

Yes, Leopard and Tiger can coexist on the same system, including PPC systems.

If you run into any problems, let me know and I will help you to get this resolved asap.

Adrian Fogge

Hi Adrian,

Thanks a lot for all these explanations, I'll try tomorrow cause it's a bit late here (12:10am)

Yes I've got other Hackintoshs, thanks again and I'll keep you inform,

Lion

Hi Adrian,

Thanks a lot for all these explanations, I'll try tomorrow cause it's a bit late here (12:10am)

Yes I've got other Hackintoshs, thanks again and I'll keep you inform,

Lion

Hi Adrian,

Hackintosh1:

A8N-SLI DeLuxe

Pro athlon 64 - 3500+ (socket939)

Leadtek WinFast PX6600 GT TDH Extreme - 128 Mb DDR3 PCI Express

4 Go Ram Corsair (4 x XMS DDR-SDRAM PC 3200 CMX1024-3200C2)

10 Go HDD

10.4.6_Goatsecx + 10.4.7 update

DVD Burner + DVD reader

MacMini:

PPC version

G4 1.25Ghz

1 Go Ram

80 Go HDD

OSX Tiger 10.4.7

SuperDrive

Adrian, here under are in chronological order your instructives steps that I've followed :

0 - Look for free OSX partitionning tool on Internet (1 hour) , not OK :)

1 - Buy partitionning tool on Internet (5 mn), OK :D

2 - Install partitionning tool on Hackintosh1 (10 mn), OK :D

3 - Firewired Hackintosh1 and MacMini, OK :D

4 - Boot MacMini in Target Disk Mode (T at boot), OK :D

5 - Defrag MacMini's partition1 from Hackintosh1 (4 hours), OK :D

6 - Shrink MacMini's partition1 with partitionning tool from Hackintosh1, OK :D

7 - Create MacMini's partition2 from Hackintosh1, OK :D

8 - Format MacMini's partition2 from Hackintosh1, OK :D

9 - Read the threads within the forum ans specially the one from Gaber: :D

called Simple Dual-Boot Installation, No External drive, discs, whatever required...

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=25120

follow his instructions starting from :

Go into "Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/" and open "OSinstall.mpkg"

-Follow directions, when your done, reboot. When the white screen pops up, hold alt and choose

the hard drive with Leopard on it. :D

10 - Enjoy! the help from Adrian and Gaber :robot:

Thanks a lot Adrian and Gaber :idea:

Lion