How to Install Retail OS X 10.6 "Snow" under VMware Workstation 7 or Player 3

MSoK

69 posts in this topic

Edit the vm settings and check you have a usb controller added under hardware.

Under Hardware it says "usb controller present". On the bottom right of the vm where the icons are for hardware components is a wierd icon (i.e. not a normal usb icon), thats gray. When I click it, it gives all the warning message about disconnecting this usb device from the host and connecting it to the vm. However, it then errors out with this message "The connection for the USB device "Toshiba Removable Disk" was unsuccessful. Driver error."

Has anyone actually used Time Machine under a vm ?

Does anyone know if you can get the host machine's webcam to work in an OSX vm?

Sp0oner,

The simple answer is yes, if you hover over the icons in the bottom right corner of your Player or Workstation session, where the Hard Drive and CD icons are, there should be a USB icon which is in my case "Primax HP HD Webcam" right click and select Connect (Disconnect from host). I actually change the icon to a Webcam which is an option.

Finally choose an appropriate application like Photo Booth to test.

Cheers,

MSoK.

P.S. Ensure you have the USB Controller present in your Virtual Machine Settings.

• 3 weeks later...
Sp0oner,

The simple answer is yes, if you hover over the icons in the bottom right corner of your Player or Workstation session, where the Hard Drive and CD icons are, there should be a USB icon which is in my case "Primax HP HD Webcam" right click and select Connect (Disconnect from host). I actually change the icon to a Webcam which is an option.

Finally choose an appropriate application like Phot Booth to test.

Cheers,

MSoK.

P.S. Ensure you have the USB Controller present in your Virtual Machine Settings.

Sorry I thought i'd replied! Thank you for the answer, I should have known to check there but just blindly assumed it was just a usb icon at the bottom of the screen there ;)

• 2 weeks later...

MSoK,

[uPDATED: 04/JUL/2011]

Links to darwin.iso from Fusion 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 (latest version 3.1.3) to install VMware Tools:

http://www.rapidshare.com/files/897645198/darwin313.iso

http://www.rapidshare.com/files/435446913/darwin312.iso

[uPDATED: 04/JUL/2011](Thanks to Zenith432)

Please update your post

VMware Fusion 4.0.2 build-491587 is the latest version released on September 27, 2011

So can you post the latest darwin402.iso version for installing VMware Tools for Snow Leopard or Lion in VMware Workstation 7.1.4 or 7.1.5 or 8.0 versions.

Can we use this latest darwin402.iso version in Snow leopard or in older VMware Workstation 7.1.4?.

MSoK,

Please update your post

VMware Fusion 4.0.2 build-491587 is the latest version released on September 27, 2011

So can you post the latest darwin402.iso version for installing VMware Tools for Snow Leopard or Lion in VMware Workstation 7.1.4 or 7.1.5 or 8.0 versions.

Can we use this latest darwin402.iso version in Snow leopard or in older VMware Workstation 7.1.4?.

OSXinstaller,

I have specifically not put the link on the Workstation 7 "How to" as I have not had chance to check if it is of any benefit, so would recommend using the drawin.iso from Fusion 3.1.3. Use 4.0.1 or 4.0.2 under Workstation 8, will post when I get a minute.

Cheers,

MSoK.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey,

I am a newbie to hackintosh scene, but a not a newbie when it comes to tech. I loved the quiz part of the registration.

Well last night I was able to boot into OSX via booting the system by the darwin.iso. I boot 2 cd images (darwin and osx install iso) and somehow got into what I wanted...but I can tell I am doing something wrong.

Well..this is what I have...latest VMware Player 4.

I downloaded Albert's Workstation 7, Player 3 adn Fusion 3 Mac OS X Unlocker, and then I updated it with Donk's Updated Installation Script for Albert's Unlocker --- (I assume I had to update the .bat file from albert's to reflect the changes listed in Donk's)

and then I run the script in (admin console) in wp7

And this is what I get

C:\Users\username\Documents\Virtual Machines\macosx_guest_vmware-7>windows

VMware Mac OS X Patcher 1.0.0

=============================

Core=VMware Player

InstallPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\

VMXPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\x64

UIPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\vmwarebase.dll

The VMware Authorization Service service was stopped successfully.

The VMware USB Arbitration Service service was stopped successfully.

Mac OS X guest unlocker for VMware, version 7

Directory C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\x64:

File vmware-vmx.exe:

Unlocking Mac OS X guest on non-Mac host ...

Unlocking Mac OS X Client guest (method 0) ...

File vmware-vmx-debug.exe: Missing file.

File vmware-vmx-stats.exe: Missing file.

File C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\vmwarebase.dll:

Unlocking Mac OS X guest on non-Mac OS X host (method 1) ...

Too few match sites.

The VMware Authorization Service service is starting.

The VMware Authorization Service service was started successfully.

The VMware USB Arbitration Service service is starting.

The VMware USB Arbitration Service service was started successfully.

But after this, if I run VMware and choose make a new Virtual Machine and go into option of Guest Operating System - I can not see 'Apple Mac OS X"

So I assume Unlocker didn't work.

I can't figure out where I am going wrong....I am looking at the instructions posted.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

flynn

PS - This is my first post on here

Hey,

I am a newbie to hackintosh scene, but a not a newbie when it comes to tech. I loved the quiz part of the registration.

Well last night I was able to boot into OSX via booting the system by the darwin.iso. I boot 2 cd images (darwin and osx install iso) and somehow got into what I wanted...but I can tell I am doing something wrong.

Well..this is what I have...latest VMware Player 4.

I downloaded Albert's Workstation 7, Player 3 adn Fusion 3 Mac OS X Unlocker, and then I updated it with Donk's Updated Installation Script for Albert's Unlocker --- (I assume I had to update the .bat file from albert's to reflect the changes listed in Donk's)

I can't figure out where I am going wrong....I am looking at the instructions posted.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

flynn

flynn,

Although the Workstation 7 / Player 3 "Unlocker" by Albert does partially work, but is not recommended for Workstation 8 / Player 4. If you use the new Zenith/Donk "Unlocker" then you should be able to choose Mac OS X in the wizard, link below for all related posts.

You will get some missing file messages using the new "Unlocker" with Player 4, also it is recommended to stop all the VMware services before running the "Unlocker" and then restarting once the "Unlocker" has installed.

Also do not mount the darwin.iso, it is not required. The darwin.iso is accessed via the install VMware Tools in W8 and P4 for Snow, and has to be copied to the guestOS in Lion and run locally.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1750634

flynn,

Although the Workstation 7 / Player 3 "Unlocker" by Albert does partially work, but is not recommended for Workstation 8 / Player 4. If you use the new Zenith/Donk "Unlocker" then you should be able to choose Mac OS X in the wizard, link below for all related posts.

You will get some missing file messages using the new "Unlocker" with Player 4, also it is recommended to stop all the VMware services before running the "Unlocker" and then restarting once the "Unlocker" has installed.

Also do not mount the darwin.iso, it is not required. The darwin.iso is accessed via the install VMware Tools in W8 and P4 for Snow, and has to be copied to the guestOS in Lion and run locally.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1750634

Wow...thank you Sir...

Yes, the Zenith/Donker Unlocker worked like a charm...wow.

Seeing OSX in Vmware is amazing....I appreciate your help

• 4 months later...

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I know this thread is kind of old but I was wondering if anyone knew a way to get dual monitor support with workstation 7. I wanted to mess around with Xcode and I've become spoiled programming with two monitors. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Everytime I try to cycle multiple monitors VMware just pops up with an error message:

-VMware Workstation does not support the multiple monitors feature in Mac OS X Server 10.6 guests. (yeah I know... it's not a very helpful message at all).

I'm running a premade .vmdk (even though I own Snow Leopard retail ... don't know what the legalilty rules are around here, just making sure) and I used Albert's Unlocker. I don't know what other info I should include

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I succeeded with Lion and Mountain Lion. I'm on my way to have Snow Leopard, just hope the retail DVD I'm getting will get me out of the booting problem :(

Just post here to keep track of Snow Leopard guideline :D

• 6 years later...

Hello

I know its an old topic. I have read through the forum but cant seem to find an answer. Using Workstation 15. Followed the instructions and was able to get the guest OS option of Mac OS X. Able to unlock EFI. Modified CPU ID but get this message when using a retail Snow Leopard DVD. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

image.png.dedf6fe7c2092d861bb5beac356319ef.png

On 5/20/2019 at 1:16 AM, MacOnWin10 said:

Hello

I know its an old topic. I have read through the forum but cant seem to find an answer. Using Workstation 15. Followed the instructions and was able to get the guest OS option of Mac OS X. Able to unlock EFI. Modified CPU ID but get this message when using a retail Snow Leopard DVD. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

OK, so based on Apple's EULA only Snow Leopard Server can be virtualised so the functionality is disabled in Workstation. However Donk removed the functionality to support Snow Leopard Workstation in the latest unlocker 302, but a separate utility is available to allow Snow Leopard Workstation to install and run, see link to thread below:

Edited by MSoK
  • Like 1

Yes, just install the proper (older/other version) of macOS Unlocker, and the 10.6 OS X VM should then work.

Please tell us how it goes. :)

Edited by Naki
grammar/clarity

On 5/22/2019 at 12:14 PM, Naki said:

Yes, just install the proper (older/other version) of macOS Unlocker, and the 10.6 OS X VM should then work.

Please tell us how it goes. :)

No use the new EFI Unlocker for Snow Leopard. The older version dfoesn't work anymore as VMware changed the code.

17 minutes ago, Naki said:

@Donk-- can you please clarify the version numbers of old/wrong Unlocker, and NEW/correct one? :huh:

If you are using a version of VMware from 11 onwards the old method of patching the server check won't work as the code changed inside VMware. I did release some version of the unlocker 2 with a pre-patched BIOS but this causes issues as it would not match the currently version of the VMM monitor and may crash.

For unlocker 3 there is no patcher built in but I released a separate tool the EFI Patcher that can work with Worsktation 14/15 and ESXi 6.5/6.7 that modifies a copy of the EFI BIOS/Firmware. That should be used now and there is a separate topic here

• Thanks 1