62 replies to this topic

Sp0oner

Sp0oner

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Spooner,

Thanks for the vote of thanks, although all the credit belongs to Donk, Zenith, Albert et al. I just pulled it in to one place. I think the answer is probably wait for Workstation 8 which is due, and has the relevant code to support Lion, and Donk has a patch ready to go once it is launched, hopefully in the near future, watch this space, I will update this topic as soon as we have a solid offering.

Another topic exists which has been attempting to get Lion up and running so have a look, link below, but be sure to come back soon.

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1645219

Excellent, thanks. Also do you know if it is possible to get QE/CI working in the vm? I was going to use iMovie but wont work without QE.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Excellent, thanks. Also do you know if it is possible to get QE/CI working in the vm? I was going to use iMovie but wont work without QE.

Spooner,

Unfortunately currently the answer is no, Zenith432 has done some work on this area, have a look at the 3D graphics link in post 1 of this topic, but if you want full QE/CI you are either going to have to spend your money on a real Mac or create a hackintosh PC, i.e. run OS X natively on your PC. Plenty of help out there, I have had success using tonymacx86's ##### solution, but some good support also on InsanelyMac.

Sp0oner

Sp0oner

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Spooner,

Unfortunately currently the answer is no, Zenith432 has done some work on this area, have a look at the 3D graphics link in post 1 of this topic, but if you want full QE/CI you are either going to have to spend your money on a real Mac or create a hackintosh PC, i.e. run OS X natively on your PC. Plenty of help out there, I have had success using tonymacx86's ##### solution, but some good support also on InsanelyMac.

Cheers. I've had previous Hackintosh's all work fine using iatkos s3 v2 but no apparent methods possible on my current new laptop due to the optimus dual switching between the gpus (Dell non 3d l702x) and so plumped for the vm to get up and running.

MTXR

MTXR

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Question about booting OS X 10.6.3 retail dvd disc.

I ran albert's unlocker with no problem using donk's updated script.

I created the VM as per instructions and added the cpuid line in the .vmx file since i have a core i7.

I powered the VM up and i received the following errors:

Boot Failed. EFI SCSI Device
Boot Failed. EFI DVD/CDROM

I then went into the bios to check the boot order. Everything seems ok.

The original post stated i didn't need darwin.iso to boot.

Has anyone run into this and have a fix?

HoopaKoopa

HoopaKoopa

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
@MTXR,

A Google search for "Boot Failed. EFI SCSI Device" reveals there is a post here in this forum that points toward the solution.

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1664097
"PS: i convert my .dmg to .iso with poweriso4.4 and it boot now thanks !"

Are you using a dmg file? You need to uncompress it. Try dmg2img.
http://vu1tur.eu.org/tools/

dmg2img -i <input.dmg> -o <output.img>

MTXR

MTXR

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

@MTXR,

A Google search for "Boot Failed. EFI SCSI Device" reveals there is a post here in this forum that points toward the solution.

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1664097
"PS: i convert my .dmg to .iso with poweriso4.4 and it boot now thanks !"

Are you using a dmg file? You need to uncompress it. Try dmg2img.
http://vu1tur.eu.org/tools/

dmg2img -i <input.dmg> -o <output.img>

I'm using an actual retail DVD disc in my dvd-rom....

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

I'm using an actual retail DVD disc in my dvd-rom....

MTXR,

Sometimes running from an ISO can resolve these issues, I have found the best way to convert a Retail OS X 10.6.3 DVD is to use ImgBurn link below:

http://www.imgburn.com/

Sp0oner

Sp0oner

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Has anyone got a link to a guide to do the same but on an amd cpu (that supports vtx)? I want to run the vm on my hp server but it uses amd opteron and every guide i've seen via Google so far I just end up getting the same message of a cpu has entered a shutdown state...

booradlly

booradlly

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
- This is my first time posting so feel free to tell me I'm doing it wrong.
- You guys are amazing, I have a fresh install of Snow Leopard working on my comp now thanks to you, and its running perfectly. It was amazingly simple to setup.

Ok so now for my issue, I can't seem to get my external hdd to connect to the vm. I'm trying to access a time machine backup I made on a normal Mac (i.e. hfs+ format). Wanting to isolate the cause I disconnected the hdd and tried to connect a fat formatted thumb drive and that also won't connect. I've googled and read through your forums and come up nothing as this is somewhat of an isolated issue. Any ideas ?

host OS: win 7 ultimate

Sp0oner

Sp0oner

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

- This is my first time posting so feel free to tell me I'm doing it wrong.
- You guys are amazing, I have a fresh install of Snow Leopard working on my comp now thanks to you, and its running perfectly. It was amazingly simple to setup.

Ok so now for my issue, I can't seem to get my external hdd to connect to the vm. I'm trying to access a time machine backup I made on a normal Mac (i.e. hfs+ format). Wanting to isolate the cause I disconnected the hdd and tried to connect a fat formatted thumb drive and that also won't connect. I've googled and read through your forums and come up nothing as this is somewhat of an isolated issue. Any ideas ?

host OS: win 7 ultimate

Edit the vm settings and check you have a usb controller added under hardware.

booradlly

booradlly

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Edit the vm settings and check you have a usb controller added under hardware.

Under Hardware it says "usb controller present". On the bottom right of the vm where the icons are for hardware components is a wierd icon (i.e. not a normal usb icon), thats gray. When I click it, it gives all the warning message about disconnecting this usb device from the host and connecting it to the vm. However, it then errors out with this message "The connection for the USB device "Toshiba Removable Disk" was unsuccessful. Driver error."

Has anyone actually used Time Machine under a vm ?

MTXR

MTXR

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

MTXR,

Sometimes running from an ISO can resolve these issues, I have found the best way to convert a Retail OS X 10.6.3 DVD is to use ImgBurn link below:

http://www.imgburn.com/

This resolved my issues. Thanks for the help everyone.

Sp0oner

Sp0oner

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Does anyone know if you can get the host machine's webcam to work in an OSX vm?

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Does anyone know if you can get the host machine's webcam to work in an OSX vm?

Sp0oner,

The simple answer is yes, if you hover over the icons in the bottom right corner of your Player or Workstation session, where the Hard Drive and CD icons are, there should be a USB icon which is in my case "Primax HP HD Webcam" right click and select Connect (Disconnect from host). I actually change the icon to a Webcam which is an option.

Finally choose an appropriate application like Photo Booth to test.

Cheers,
MSoK.

P.S. Ensure you have the USB Controller present in your Virtual Machine Settings.

Sp0oner

Sp0oner

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Sp0oner,

The simple answer is yes, if you hover over the icons in the bottom right corner of your Player or Workstation session, where the Hard Drive and CD icons are, there should be a USB icon which is in my case "Primax HP HD Webcam" right click and select Connect (Disconnect from host). I actually change the icon to a Webcam which is an option.

Finally choose an appropriate application like Phot Booth to test.

Cheers,
MSoK.

P.S. Ensure you have the USB Controller present in your Virtual Machine Settings.

Sorry I thought i'd replied! Thank you for the answer, I should have known to check there but just blindly assumed it was just a usb icon at the bottom of the screen there ;)

OSXInstaller

OSXInstaller

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
MSoK,

[UPDATED: 04/JUL/2011]
Links to darwin.iso from Fusion 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 (latest version 3.1.3) to install VMware Tools:
http://www.rapidshar...8/darwin313.iso
http://www.rapidshar...3/darwin312.iso
[UPDATED: 04/JUL/2011](Thanks to Zenith432)

Please update your post

VMware Fusion 4.0.2 build-491587 is the latest version released on September 27, 2011

So can you post the latest darwin402.iso version for installing VMware Tools for Snow Leopard or Lion in VMware Workstation 7.1.4 or 7.1.5 or 8.0 versions.

Can we use this latest darwin402.iso version in Snow leopard or in older VMware Workstation 7.1.4?.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

MSoK,

Please update your post

VMware Fusion 4.0.2 build-491587 is the latest version released on September 27, 2011

So can you post the latest darwin402.iso version for installing VMware Tools for Snow Leopard or Lion in VMware Workstation 7.1.4 or 7.1.5 or 8.0 versions.

Can we use this latest darwin402.iso version in Snow leopard or in older VMware Workstation 7.1.4?.

OSXinstaller,

I have specifically not put the link on the Workstation 7 "How to" as I have not had chance to check if it is of any benefit, so would recommend using the drawin.iso from Fusion 3.1.3. Use 4.0.1 or 4.0.2 under Workstation 8, will post when I get a minute.

Cheers,
MSoK.

flynnlives

flynnlives

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
Hey,

I am a newbie to hackintosh scene, but a not a newbie when it comes to tech. I loved the quiz part of the registration.

Well last night I was able to boot into OSX via booting the system by the darwin.iso. I boot 2 cd images (darwin and osx install iso) and somehow got into what I wanted...but I can tell I am doing something wrong.

Well..this is what I have...latest VMware Player 4.

I downloaded Albert's Workstation 7, Player 3 adn Fusion 3 Mac OS X Unlocker, and then I updated it with Donk's Updated Installation Script for Albert's Unlocker --- (I assume I had to update the .bat file from albert's to reflect the changes listed in Donk's)

and then I run the script in (admin console) in wp7

And this is what I get

C:\Users\username\Documents\Virtual Machines\macosx_guest_vmware-7>windows
VMware Mac OS X Patcher 1.0.0
=============================
Core=VMware Player
InstallPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\
VMXPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\x64
UIPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\vmwarebase.dll

The VMware Authorization Service service was stopped successfully.

The VMware USB Arbitration Service service was stopped successfully.

Mac OS X guest unlocker for VMware, version 7

Directory C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\x64:
File vmware-vmx.exe:
Unlocking Mac OS X guest on non-Mac host ...
Unlocking Mac OS X Client guest (method 0) ...
File vmware-vmx-debug.exe: Missing file.
File vmware-vmx-stats.exe: Missing file.

File C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\vmwarebase.dll:
Unlocking Mac OS X guest on non-Mac OS X host (method 1) ...
Too few match sites.
The VMware Authorization Service service is starting.
The VMware Authorization Service service was started successfully.

The VMware USB Arbitration Service service is starting.
The VMware USB Arbitration Service service was started successfully.

But after this, if I run VMware and choose make a new Virtual Machine and go into option of Guest Operating System - I can not see 'Apple Mac OS X"

So I assume Unlocker didn't work.

I can't figure out where I am going wrong....I am looking at the instructions posted.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

flynn

PS - This is my first post on here

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Hey,

I am a newbie to hackintosh scene, but a not a newbie when it comes to tech. I loved the quiz part of the registration.

Well last night I was able to boot into OSX via booting the system by the darwin.iso. I boot 2 cd images (darwin and osx install iso) and somehow got into what I wanted...but I can tell I am doing something wrong.

Well..this is what I have...latest VMware Player 4.

I downloaded Albert's Workstation 7, Player 3 adn Fusion 3 Mac OS X Unlocker, and then I updated it with Donk's Updated Installation Script for Albert's Unlocker --- (I assume I had to update the .bat file from albert's to reflect the changes listed in Donk's)

I can't figure out where I am going wrong....I am looking at the instructions posted.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

flynn

flynn,

Although the Workstation 7 / Player 3 "Unlocker" by Albert does partially work, but is not recommended for Workstation 8 / Player 4. If you use the new Zenith/Donk "Unlocker" then you should be able to choose Mac OS X in the wizard, link below for all related posts.

You will get some missing file messages using the new "Unlocker" with Player 4, also it is recommended to stop all the VMware services before running the "Unlocker" and then restarting once the "Unlocker" has installed.

Also do not mount the darwin.iso, it is not required. The darwin.iso is accessed via the install VMware Tools in W8 and P4 for Snow, and has to be copied to the guestOS in Lion and run locally.

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1750634

flynnlives

flynnlives

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

flynn,

Although the Workstation 7 / Player 3 "Unlocker" by Albert does partially work, but is not recommended for Workstation 8 / Player 4. If you use the new Zenith/Donk "Unlocker" then you should be able to choose Mac OS X in the wizard, link below for all related posts.

You will get some missing file messages using the new "Unlocker" with Player 4, also it is recommended to stop all the VMware services before running the "Unlocker" and then restarting once the "Unlocker" has installed.

Also do not mount the darwin.iso, it is not required. The darwin.iso is accessed via the install VMware Tools in W8 and P4 for Snow, and has to be copied to the guestOS in Lion and run locally.

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1750634

Wow...thank you Sir...

Yes, the Zenith/Donker Unlocker worked like a charm...wow.

Seeing OSX in Vmware is amazing....I appreciate your help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy