146 replies to this topic

rvd

rvd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,
I am new to osx86 stuff. But I managed to get OS X (10.4.8) up and running on my HP Pavilion dv1000! I have a Broadcom chip as well - dev id 4320 - and I followed the instructions from sportman exactly. You must be careful, but I had to change en0 to en1. It works, I didn't think it would, but it did. You must do the permissions and you must reboot. I had to choose my network however, and I had to unplug my regular internal LAN card ( i mean, I had to Disconnect the ethernet cord from my computer, for the airport to function).
It's strange but OSX runs very cool (yet fast) on my laptop, with less fan noise. I get the impression that it likes OS X better than XP...
Take care,
Rich

kamig

kamig

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
4311... doesn't work :(
Someone could post the entire procedure to configure the Broadcomm wireless chipset? :lol:

kamig

kamig

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
please :)

rvd

rvd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
the procedure is here:

http://forum.insanel...amp;hl=sportman

but 4311 might be different. good luck.

technicallyhesright

technicallyhesright

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey I've got a inspiron 5150 with a truemobile 1400 broadcom a/b/g inside that is working thanks to this thread and another tip about adding your id to the appleairport2.kext (!important). So don't give up! Now if I could just get the display to go to sleep...

George123

George123

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and type in "sudo rm -rf /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist" (without the qoutes). Now enter your password and reboot.

Thank you. It works for my 4311 card. I use this card fine on my 10.4.7. After I reinstalled 10.4.8. It was recognized as internal earthnet. With your method. It works now.

Yossarian_16th

Yossarian_16th

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey everyone, I'm another with a Compaq C300 series with Broadcom 4311 wifi that's having issues.
Exact same symptoms as everyone else; card isn't seen by profiler, but grep provides positive output. Anyone have any clues on this one?

wisebyte

wisebyte

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

i bought a laptop(HP Presario C300 series) a week ago. it has a broadcom that exactly matches the dev id as 4311, but it never apears as an installed one.
i have the kext file in my OSX 10.4.6.
do in need another kext file of OSX 10.4.3? Could someone help me with this kext file?
thanks

I have the Presario C500, which is basically the same. I have the same exact problem and I think I know why. It's because the wireless is not turned on (therefore the wifi light which lights up blue under Windows XP or Vista is not on). If there is a way to turn that thing on (I already tried pushing the button, but I think it's just a keyboard hot-key, so not workiing) then I am sure it will work with the built-in driver which already has the device id 4311.

One of you super hackers, could you please help us turn the wifi on?

Thanks very much! :censored2:

dane

dane

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Broadcom Wireless Tutorial
Kext Used
The kext used for this tutorial is the IO80211Family.kext. This kext needs to be put into /System/Library/Extensions/ if it is not already there.

Entering your device ID

• Make a backup of IO80211Family.kext
  • Edit the .plist file
  • Once editing the plist navigate to the area where you see
  • Add a line with dev id (in place of XXXX)
Setting Permissions
  • Type these commands into terminal
Final touches (Optional)
  • edit the interface config in order to use the airport utility instead of istumbler.
  • swap the en0 with en1 for that device.
  • Run disk util and repair perms
  • Please note that you may need to change the number to en2 if you have 2 onbaord pci lan cards.
Sometimes your network card is already configured as an airport device and you do not need to swap the en #

Now i have folowed these instructions and i do have a network up and running with a Linksys wmp54G , the problem is that the connection is not stable at all, it often disconnects and it is impossible to download a file, or on the Lan to move a file from one computer to another. The machine is a stock ibm m42 that runs OSX flawlesly. When it runs XP from another disk there is no problems with the connection. It is running 10.4.8 JaS SSE2 SSE3

cloudy

cloudy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

I have the Presario C500, which is basically the same. I have the same exact problem and I think I know why. It's because the wireless is not turned on (therefore the wifi light which lights up blue under Windows XP or Vista is not on). If there is a way to turn that thing on (I already tried pushing the button, but I think it's just a keyboard hot-key, so not workiing) then I am sure it will work with the built-in driver which already has the device id 4311.

One of you super hackers, could you please help us turn the wifi on?

Thanks very much! ;)

I can see the blue light on the upperside of keyboard, but the wifi card still doesnt work at all.
You can confirm yur card is enabled if you go into the bios configuration.
I think there are some kernel dependency problems with the IO80211 kext file. On booting sequence I see the warning every time.
regards,

wisebyte

wisebyte

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

I can see the blue light on the upperside of keyboard, but the wifi card still doesnt work at all.
I think there are some kernel dependency problems with the IO80211 kext file. On booting sequence I see the warning every time.
regards,

Thanks for confirming that Cloudy. My blue WiFi light doesn't come on, but my BIOS is set to enable the WiFi. Here is something that might shed some light for someone out there. When I click to shutdown my computer, the wireless will cause a panic. Following is the read out:

Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):    com.apple.driver.AirPortBrcm43xx(203.2)@01fb37000        dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily(1.51)@0x1ea5e000        dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.1)@0x1b360000        dependency: com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family(140.4)@0x1eb68000    com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family(140.4)@0x1eb68000        dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily(1.51)@0x1ea5e000        dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.1)@0x1b360000Kernel version:Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.1: Sat Dec 9 22:18:27 AZOT 2006; semthex:/nebukadnezar/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386
If this makes sense to anyone please help. Thanks a lot! Many of us will sure appreciate completing this Broadcom guide, so we can use our WiFi. :rolleyes:

LoveableGeek

LoveableGeek

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

regards,

Whenever I boot with the v flag I see the same dependency warnings as well. Interesting though, the light on my Wifi card doesn't come on unless I boot into windows first, turn on the card, then warm boot into OSx86. Oddly, even if I enable my card in Linux, when I reboot into OSX, the card turns off during the brief moment that the laptop has no power.

On a side-note, do you have any more complex function in your BIOS than "enable" or "disable" for your wireless card? I find that my BIOS is horribly limited.

cloudy

cloudy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
LoveableGeek, Exactly same here as you explained. Maybe we are out of luck with this card.

wisebyte

wisebyte

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Whenever I boot with the v flag I see the same dependency warnings as well. Interesting though, the light on my Wifi card doesn't come on unless I boot into windows first, turn on the card, then warm boot into OSx86. Oddly, even if I enable my card in Linux, when I reboot into OSX, the card turns off during the brief moment that the laptop has no power.

On a side-note, do you have any more complex function in your BIOS than "enable" or "disable" for your wireless card? I find that my BIOS is horribly limited.

The only BIOS control I have for my Presario C500 (c502us to be exact) is either enable or disable for the wireless card. I wish there was more or if the button to the top of the keyboard will work like a hardware switch, but no. That's all I have. :P

LoveableGeek

LoveableGeek

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

The only BIOS control I have for my Presario C500 (c502us to be exact) is either enable or disable for the wireless card. I wish there was more or if the button to the top of the keyboard will work like a hardware switch, but no. That's all I have. :blush:

Tres lame. I guess this is what we get for buying cheap laptops from Compaq. Have you tried to change your wireless card yet? If you connect anything but approved models (I believe there are exactly TWO for mine, a Presario c304nr) when you power on the notebook, it doesn't even POST, just goes straight to a message about an unsupported wireless device. Won't do a thing til you yank it out again.

Of course, I have heard that people hack their BIOS to get all cards to work, but as Compaq / HP won't even send me the recovery CDs I ordered 6 months ago, I seriously doubt they'd be happy to replace a scrapped notebook with an unsupported BIOS :(

patochan

patochan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey there,

I've been playing with my system and... the wireless works based on this .zip file on this thread and the .kext change I made from another thread!! I really wanted to thank everyone for their hard work because I was getting frustrated about no internet on my laptop and now it works! I'm ecstatic and I know I owe it all to you guys working hard out there!

It's an older model Toshiba Satellite A45 series with an Atheros chip. I never could find the device name in the System Profiler having made just one partition on the disk and that was kind of like hit or miss. Just today I reformatted the machine again because I'd been doing so many of the tweaks that are recommended all over the internet, and I didn't know what was what anymore. A clean re-install of 10.4.8, the IO8...Family.kext change, changed en0 to en1, downloaded and installed the Wireless package.... and I'm in!

Thank you thank you thank you everyone. I wish I could be more help to others, but all I did was follow directions and I wasn't afraid to reinstall! You guys are great!

Proud "macshiba" user!

Jackobyte

Jackobyte

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Just a little note........

I got my Belkin 7001 card working however it would not connect to my Wireless Access Point with WEP enabled with the "Error connecting to Airport network" message.

Turns out that I had to turn the WEP system from Automatic to Open System.

Started working perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Ndx

Ndx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

ther is no such file in my directory my card is 4318
how to make it work

Piero A.

Piero A.

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Hi everybody,

I own an acer 5612wlmi and i bought a mini pci-e broadcom controller that is pefectly recognized in windows and osx like airport extreme and don't need to modify any extensions.

My problem is that my Acer Bios don't recognize it for so is not power enabled.

Because i'm not able to modify the bios if somebody is interested i can sale it for a very low price.

pieroandreini@vodafone.it

Attached Files

creepyteletuby

creepyteletuby

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i have an odd problem with my wireless configuration.

I am using the Jas 10.4.6 disc

1. When i do a clean install, and it asks me if i want to use a network for something, I am able to succesfully scan for networks, and I am able to connect to them

PROBLEM:

2. although I am able to connect, once OSX starts it assumes i am on a wired ethernet network. if i reboot it will not connect to the net.

3. I have an HP Pavilion dv6000. I think the wireless card is a broadcom. There is a chip on the card that sais broadcom, but idk if thats the manufacturer of the whole chip.

4. I have tried the Atheros method, the Broadcom card method, and the broadcom chipset method and i have a few problems.

*the atheros method kernal cannot be loaded.

*in either broadcom method, when I am supposed to edit THE .PLIST file, the file is completely blank.

any ideas on how to fix this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy