Simple Broadcom Wirless Tutorial

sportman

147 posts in this topic

Stupid question, how do you find the device id?

Look in System Profiler or go to Windows -> Device Manager -> Network Adapters -> your device -> Properties -> Details tab -> Vendor is 4 characters after VEN_ and Device is 4 characters after DEV_

I have a pcmcia version which uses the Atheros driver, the vendor id is 168c and device id is 0013. Will this method work? i changed the stuff, but it doesn't seem to find my card at all. I also tried using the IO80211 kext from 10.4.5 which worked for some people, but still nothing. I was wondering if maybe this was only working for the onboard model of this card and pcmcia wasn't going to work.

I have been trying ALL day, still nothing. Thanks a bunch in advance to anyone

I also have one of these wifi cards vendor 168c and device id 0013... this method doesn't work ;) doesn't detect the wifi card :D

I too am having problems with my Broadcom card and JaS 10.4.8. Mine is in HP dv2000t laptop. DevId 4311.

The card is recognized as an airport card. However, it cannot be set-up. The Airport setup utility complains that it cannot communicate with the card. System profilers reports the card to be turned off, which it is not.

What's odd is that it worked fine in 10.4.6. On one of my laptops I did upgrade from 10.4.6 to 10.4.8 and the card still functions. However, on dv2000t I did a clean install from the 10.4.8 DVD, and I have no wireless now.

Actually, during the OSX post-installation setup the wireless did work. Once I've rebooted, I've started experiencing these problems.

I tried physically removing the Broadcom card, booting w/o it, installing it again, to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Update:

I managed to get my 168c,0013 working finally :P All I had to do was get the IO80211Family.kext from the official apple intel update 10.4.5. I opened the dmg file, extracted the archive.gz file and inside it go to Library/Extensions and you should be able to find the IO80211Family.kext file. Just copy it to your /System/Library/Extensions and then repair its permissions and ownerships:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions

Reboot the machine, go to the Network Settings and hopefully it will detect the existence of an airport device :D

Good luck guys!

• 2 weeks later...
I too am having problems with my Broadcom card and JaS 10.4.8. Mine is in HP dv2000t laptop. DevId 4311.

The card is recognized as an airport card. However, it cannot be set-up. The Airport setup utility complains that it cannot communicate with the card. System profilers reports the card to be turned off, which it is not.

What's odd is that it worked fine in 10.4.6. On one of my laptops I did upgrade from 10.4.6 to 10.4.8 and the card still functions. However, on dv2000t I did a clean install from the 10.4.8 DVD, and I have no wireless now.

Actually, during the OSX post-installation setup the wireless did work. Once I've rebooted, I've started experiencing these problems.

I tried physically removing the Broadcom card, booting w/o it, installing it again, to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and type in "sudo rm -rf /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist" (without the qoutes). Now enter your password and reboot.

Update:

I managed to get my 168c,0013 working finally :unsure: All I had to do was get the IO80211Family.kext from the official apple intel update 10.4.5. I opened the dmg file, extracted the archive.gz file and inside it go to Library/Extensions and you should be able to find the IO80211Family.kext file.

I downloaded the 10.4.5 update from

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosxupdate1045.html

But could not find the archive.gz file. When I used UltraISO to open MacOSXUpd10.4.5PPC.dmg, I could only find the Archive.pax.gz file there and could not find IO80211Family.kext

Could you attach the IO80211Family.kext file or related address?

After completeing all instructions to the letter, I got my BCM 4318 to recognise teh wireless network, but it can't access the web. :unsure:

I did the optional stuff in the networkinterface.plist but it keeps resetting back to en0 after reboot

any thoughts?

I have the same trouble.

Maybe this en0/en1 problem is the main reason why the Airport option doesn't show up in Network Port Configurations window(only Built-in Ethernet show up), although my Mac can detect the Airport Cart in the computer info window.

Looking forward to further instruction for the en0/en1 problem.

After completeing all instructions to the letter, I got a wireless network icon on menu toolbar, but it can't be configured to access the web.

I did the optional stuff in the networkinterface.plist but it keeps resetting back to en0 after reboot

Maybe this en0/en1 problem is the main reason why the Airport option doesn't show up in Network Port Configurations window(only Built-in Ethernet show up), although my Mac can detect the Airport Cart in the computer info window and it shows Airport is currently turned off.

I am running MAC 10.4.8 for AMD final version

Looking forward to further instruction.

Edited by hefeng

Guest AaloPalto

Any suggestions?

Hi.

Mine is an build-in Broadcom WiFi b/g too, Dev_4311.

After setup the en0<->en1 swap trick i'm able to configure it, but it dont find any network, no infrastructure neither ad-hoc works. the wireless switch on the notebook works, so i can turn it off, but no way to get any signal...

very strange huh, and i dont have an idea to get it to work

Okay folks I can't get my dell 1390 (broadcom 4311) to work. Here is some info about my machine and steps I have taken.

1. I installed the dell card and removed the intel from my fujitsu 4215 tablet pc hoping to get wifi in osx.

2. The dell card was successfull installed in both XP and vista.

3. Tried to install JAS 10.4.6 release and upon boot from DVD, a black screen popped up and in several languages I was told that I needed to restart the computer, I did this and continually got the error. So I disabled the wifi in my BIOS and was able to do a clean install 10.4.6.

4. So after the install is complete, I try to enable wifi in the BIOS and get the same error and unable to boot to osX.

-the only thing currently on my system is osx...with another partition set aside for XP or Vista...but I haven't gotten that far yet.

Here is what I have done in terms of troubleshooting:

1. Checked the info.plist and my card device is listed as a possible device.

Disabled the following one at a time in the BIOS and still received the error:

- Hardware power management

- speedstep technology

- core multi-processing

- AHCI configuration

- LAN

- Bluetooth

- IDE controller

What I find strange is that this card works in both XP and Vista, but not in OSX...I've searched the forums but am unable to find any help. If someone can point me in the right direction or offer any help I would appreciate it.

I currently do not have another os installed and unable to determine the vendor and device id for certain...and currently have it disabled in bios so I can't use system profiler because it doesn't know it is there. However, I believe the ID's are: Ven: 14e4 and dev:4311, but am unable to know for sure...I have a linux ubuntu disk with me, could I use that to figure them out, if so how? I suppose I could also install XP and pull up the info...

Guest AaloPalto
I can confirm that the ven ID is 14e4 and dev id is 4311 via ubuntu linix boot.

Hrmm, i dont think you will have an chance to get that card to work. Like i dont have with mine :/

Well this is sure strange...other don't have a problem with a card, it is recognized with vista and xp...my machine must be cursed!!!

Ha! I feel like all us 4311 owners are cursed :censored2:

I think certain versions of this card are crippled, particularly the ones in Dell and HP/Compaq notebooks.

I also have wireless in WinXP/Vista, but the card won't work in OS X or in Ubuntu with ndiswrapper.

If anyone has info on getting Broadcom 4311 cards to work, they would be our savior. I mean come on, the file

we're editing is NAMED for the Broadcom 4311 for crying out loud!

The 4311 issue on the C300 might involve more than just the kext for the card. The kext in 10.4.8 has the necessary line, but one other thing I have found is that the card does not show up at all under System Profiler as even being in the machine. My guess is that there is a problem with the mini-PCI interface itself not being recognized, and the card being downstream, it never even gets seen.

Okay...so I've got some additional information that others may be able to help with to come up with a possible solution. I believe the card is not getting loaded on startup...I don't think it gets "seen". Upon boot I complete the following while in terminal:

"ioreg -l | grep pci14e4" (I'm not sure what this command means, I saw it in another post)

I received the following:

"name" = "pci14e4,4311"

"IOName" = "pci14e4,4311"

"compatible" = <"pci1028,7","pci14e4,4311","pciclass,028000$

I type the following command "kextstat | grep Brcm" in terminal and recieve no information, however if I then manually kextload the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext I receive the following output after entering the "kextstat | grep Brcm" command:

I receive the following:

85 0 0x3c358000 0x68000 0x67000 com.apple.driver.AppleAirPortBrcm4311 (100.9) <42 16 11 2>

Now after all this, I still can't get wireless to work...is there a way to force the appleairportbrcm4311.kext to lead at startup? I think if I can do this then I might have a chance...any thoughts/ideas?

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone help me, before i'm going crazy?

I'm using an Asus Laptop, with broadcom integrated wireless, on 10.4.8 AMD TEST ISO,PPF1.

So i follow the howto:

"Use this guide except edit this file:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Contents/Info.plist"

=> OK, so i just have to do that:

"Setting Permissions:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions"

Thats ok, but now:

"edit the interface config in order to use the airport utility instead of istumbler. swap the en0 with en1 for that device."

But in my file, there is no "en0" or "en1"! Just "fw0" firewire! :)

So please InsanelyMac, pimp my laptop! :)