LaCie USB 3.0 drivers are here for OS X

antic

240 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

I used the 1.0.8 PXHCD (not sure about the more current versions working on Snow Leopard). I used the Kext Wizard utility to install it, made sure all USB drives were disconnected first, installed the kext, ran the Kext Wizard Maintenance, rebooted, and the Super-Speed Bus appeared in the System Profiler | Hardware | USB.

Before using this driver, the USB 3.0 ports were not recognized by SL. My Gigabyte board uses the Etron Technology EJ168 USB 3.0 Controller (quantity two). I have one USB 3 external drive enclosure (Anker). Unfortunately, the Seagate Momentus 7200.4 (ST9500420ASG) inside it can only muster a 1.5 Gb / s SATA connection, even though it is supposed to be 3.0 Gb / s. However, with this USB 3 aware kext, the drive has the same transfer speed with USB 3 as it does with eSATA (about 77 MB / s). With a USB 2 connection the drive is about 32 MB / s. Sometimes the eSATA connection can reach 82 MB / s, which I believe is a direct result of how the 7200.4 can merely connect to a SATA II controller, not necessarily have transfer rates at SATA II speeds (ever).

If curious, search the web for the negotiated link speed issues with this particular Momentus flavor. I pulled the Seagate drive from my MacBook Pro when I was suspecting the drive was going to die (3 year warranty is almost up). The Seagate would always connect with 1.5 Gb / s negotiated link speed on my MacBook Pro (and continues to with the Gigabyte eSATA connection). After getting my new MacBook Pro hard drive up and running (a WD Scorpio Black), all of a sudden the potential slow SATA speed issue went completely away, by having a hard drive that can operate at the highest speed possible (the 2010 MacBook Pro 6,1 maxes out with 3.0 Gb / s controllers).

Use the patched AppleUSBXHCI kext. It works a lot better than PXHCD.

Can you please post a link to this patched KEXT from Apple ? Do you know if it support Hubs ?

Did I read right somewhere on this thread...someone said that the LaCie 1.0.11 driver supposedly supports HUBS ? Can someone confirm that please ?

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.caldigit....ex.asp?KBID=108

I installed the Caldigit USB3 Driver (CalDigitUSBxHCI.kext and CalDigitFastIO.kext) for Mountain Lion. By removing the IOPCISecondaryMatch and IOPCIMatch parts in Info.plist, leaving only IOPCIClassMatch, the kexts make my Etron EJ168 on-board controller work...only for the first mount. If I umount the USB stick, I can't mount it again without a reboot (the device won't even show up in diskutil).

I didn't run the pkg installer, rather copied the two kexts to S/L/E.

Any thoughts?

Yeah - I actually bought a CalDigit FASTA-6GU3, to avoid all this hassle... and it has all the same issues... (SL 10.6.8)

I fear it's just that the driver is useless, not that it's not working with your particular hardware.

Oh, I did sort of get it to recognise my HUB, but only the first device I plugged in worked, and it would instantly KP on boot.

• 1 month later...

Yeah - I actually bought a CalDigit FASTA-6GU3, to avoid all this hassle... and it has all the same issues... (SL 10.6.8)

I fear it's just that the driver is useless, not that it's not working with your particular hardware.

Oh, I did sort of get it to recognise my HUB, but only the first device I plugged in worked, and it would instantly KP on boot.

Brilliant. Useless driver then. It doesn't seem like CalDigit, or any of the card manufacturers are interested in keeping up the drivers.

You might think at some point they'd just put the code for the drivers out. It's not like they're going to be losing money if they're not supporting the cards,

and frankly they'd be earning themselves the good will of the public because they've given people the opportunity to make something of the hardware.

Is it possible to patch the 1.0.11 kext to stop it flooding the console with messages? It actually enabled the hub-attached rear USB3 ports on my P9X79. Any other kext will cause a KP with these ports so I normally have to enable just the front controller.

There's no logging with the 1.0.10 driver but devices plugged into the rear ports don't work. It would be nice to have all my USB ports working but I can't put up with the constant logging.

Can you please post a link to this patched KEXT from Apple ? Do you know if it support Hubs ?

http://www.insanelym...i-from-os-1082/

http://www.insanelym...00#entry1892642

Is it possible to patch the 1.0.11 kext to stop it flooding the console with messages?

http://www.insanelym...-usb-30-driver/

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/286860-genericusbxhci-usb-30-driver-for-os-x-with-source/

• Like 1

Thanks shiecldk. After further testing it seems the kext wasn't working as well as I'd thought last night. So I'll stick with just having the front USB3 ports active.

Have you tried Zenith432's Patched AppleUSBXHCI.kext or GenericUSBXHCI.kext?

Have you tried Zenith432's Patched AppleUSBXHCI.kext or GenericUSBXHCI.kext?

I'm running 10.6.8 so neither of those are an option. Ideally I'd prefer not to use patched Apple kexts so I was hoping the Lacie kext was going to do the job.

I'm running 10.6.8 so neither of those are an option. Ideally I'd prefer not to use patched Apple kexts so I was hoping the Lacie kext was going to do the job.

Not sure if this advice would help you. I think you could try to replace all USB related kexts with the ones in Mountain Lion.

People had tried replacing USB related kexts for their Ivy Bridge USB 3.0 ports after MBPR, which used a newer version of OSX, released to market.

It seemed no one had serious problem with the newer version of USB kexts in their older system.

It might be a good try for your 10.6.8. :)

Just remember to backup the original USB kexts before trying anything. :P

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Not sure if anyone will read this, but how much work would be involved in making the USB 3 express card (any type) bootable with a mac 5,2 under any operating system (preferably El Capitan)

I'm new and a little green so appologies! But I believe it's the EFI drivers not playing the game?

We're any of these patches a step in the right direction or did more need to be done by Apple.

A summary would be awesome!

I've really enjoyed reading this whole thread many people have done some reall cool stuff!!

Cheers!

New driver from lacie which supports ML

http://www.lacie.com...er.htm?id=10239

I tried it on my asus p8z68 deluxe (sandy bridge) which actually shows the USB 3.0 PORTS but failed at mounting my external drive - ADATA NH03.

here is USB PROBER OUTPUTS :

attachicon.gifIORegistry.txt

attachicon.gifKernel Extensions.txt

attachicon.gifUSB Bus Probe.txt

attachicon.gifUSBPortStatus.txt

and the lacie driver downloadattachicon.gifLaCie-USB-3.0-Driver.1.0.10.dmg

I'am new in hackintosh (two weeks) and may be this stuff will interest someone.

sorry for my english it's not my native tongue.

attachicon.gifsnapshot-nec controllers supported.tiff

nec controllers supported.

Massinnisa,

Ever get your P8Z68 deluxe usb 3 Nec renesas ports functional? I have the same board and getting inconsistant results in El Capitan.

Trying to flash vendor ids for Lacie and load the lacie kext but only usb 2 drives got recognized. Anyone have a solution?

Also tried Sonnet. Just as limited.

Thanks

• 1 year later...