Samsung R Series Notebooks

derekreid

327 posts in this topic

Ipowned,

you are trying to adapt the findings from this topic to your Acer? You know that you are trying the fixes from the Samsung Laptops which certainly do not apply 100% for your machine. :(

@marten

Was it difficult to change the display panel on your Samsung? Did you have a guide for this task? I am considering the exchange on mine as well. Also why did you opt for this type of panel and brand? Is there another brand which is even more premium than this one delivering absolutely brilliant crystal clear experience like on a Mac but working for the Samsung Laptops?

TIA

i checked hdef again, i think i didn´t edit it at all...

do u have a working method without voodooHDA for your sound ?

Not yet. If got more time i'll try get it working.

i also removed the brightness fix dsdt edit and bootplist fix, brightness still working for me :-)...

Brightness fix is included in gfx fix + PNLF device in DSDT.

general question (i´m using dsdte to edit dsdt files):

is there a simple method to change all this lines i edited every single number, that seems a bit complicated, so maybe there is a method to copy lines from ioreg to dsdt ?

You can copy values from IOReg, click it twice and Cmd+C.

okay i guess i can´t help then anymore, most of the people using 10.6.5 here (me too) and obviously thats the method which works for all of us...

last idea:

make sure u don´t have appleHDA installed and repair permissions after all your edits...

yeeeeeah :D applehda.kext deleted --> the sound is back :D thanks!

Ipowned,

you are trying to adapt the findings from this topic to your Acer? You know that you are trying the fixes from the Samsung Laptops which certainly do not apply 100% for your machine. :(

of course, i've tried these operations on my samsung laptop. i haven't updated my signature yet :)

two other things: have anyone succesfully hibernated his computer? is possible to control backlight with nvidia geforce 310m?

@iPwnd: welcome :-)

@bungo: all right so far... but with the copy and paste method you still have to edit every single value on its own, would be great to copy the whole scope :-) !

anyway i reedited my dsdt again from scratch, fixed GFX + PNLF, HPED, RTC, and TIMR and got no errors, no remarks at all finally...

its attached, maybe somebody could use it...

I recognized another strange things:

-> In System Profiler under Diagnosis -> i always get the message "Failed -> RAM -> DIMM0/ BANK1"...

What does it mean ?

-> I never need to enter my password when i try to write to Extra/E manually, in the beginning of my experience it was always necessary, fixing permissions didn´t do it again...

Is it important, any ideas how to fix it ?

I´m Still working on sleep according to the posts here but no success so far, editing H_EC like this

Device (H_EC)
               {
                   Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C09"))
                   Name (_UID, 0x01)
                   Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       Name (BFFR, ResourceTemplate ()
                       {
                           IO (Decode16,
                               0x0062,             // Range Minimum
                               0x0062,             // Range Maximum
                               0x00,               // Alignment
                               0x01,               // Length
                               )
                           IO (Decode16,
                               0x0066,             // Range Minimum
                               0x0066,             // Range Maximum
                               )
                       })
                       Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
                       {
                       	0x1E,
                       	0x04
                      })
                   Return (BFFR)
                   }

leds to KP during first boot, second boot works, sleep as well but immedliatly wake up after getting to sleep

Samsung_R780_Bios_07JA_dsdt.aml.zip

@iPwnd: welcome :-)

@bungo: all right so far... but with the copy and paste method you still have to edit every single value on its own, would be great to copy the whole scope :-) !

anyway i reedited my dsdt again from scratch, fixed GFX + PNLF, HPED, RTC, and TIMR and got no errors, no remarks at all finally...

-> In System Profiler under Diagnosis -> i always get the message "Failed -> RAM -> DIMM0/ BANK1"...

What does it mean ?

-> I never need to enter my password when i try to write to Extra/E manually, in the beginning of my experience it was always necessary, fixing permissions didn´t do it again...

I´m Still working on sleep according to the posts here but no success so far, editing H_EC like this

Device (H_EC)
               {
                   Name (_UID, 0x01)
                   {
                       {
                           IO (Decode16,
                               )
                           IO (Decode16,
                               )
                       })
                       {
                       	0x1E,
                       	0x04
                      })
                   Return (BFFR)
                   }

leds to KP during first boot, second boot works, sleep as well but immedliatly wake up after getting to sleep

This file can run on different notebook?

excuse me but I am completely noob regarding hackintosh :unsure:

@marten

Was it difficult to change the display panel on your Samsung? Did you have a guide for this task? I am considering the exchange on mine as well. Also why did you opt for this type of panel and brand? Is there another brand which is even more premium than this one delivering absolutely brilliant crystal clear experience like on a Mac but working for the Samsung Laptops?

It was difficult. You need to remove the keyboard and the top of the chassis to remove the display bezel. There were many intractable plastic clips. It took some hours but that was worth it to me. I'll repeat the procedure next friday. Maybe there is time to make a video.

Contrast, brightness, viewing angles are on a par with apples displays. Important for me was the color gamut: 90% of NTSC is very good for notebook. This is only achievable with RGB- or white LEDs and the B173HW01-V4 is the only 17.3 panel with white LEDs as far as i know.

I'm not familiar with DSDTE and i supposed i don't know what exactly do you mean. If you mean copying values e.g. for EDIT key from IORegExpl you can simply copy whole key (double click and Cmd+C) but after paste to your DSDT you need to add to each number 2 chars 0x: 00 - > 0x00

For your (and other) information i added HPET, RTC and TIMR fixes only for good looking, like in real MacBookPro6,1.

I (suppose other Samsung users too) don't need modify these setions because they work as should. ;)

What does it mean ?

I got similiar error but in BANK0/DIMM0. If i removed one module from that slot or replaced with second one, that error remain. I don't know what's wrong.

I don't need do it too. Generaly: you need to enter a pass to modify some file if you don't have permissions to that file e.g. root:wheel like kexts in S/L/E -> you can enter your pass because you are on admin account.

Device (H_EC)
               {
                   Name (_UID, 0x01)
                   {
                       {
                           IO (Decode16,
                               )
                           IO (Decode16,
                               )
                       })
                       {
                       	0x1E,
                       	0x04
                      })
                   Return (BFFR)
                   }

Very strange fix :D Lok at my post #82. I'm testing a new fix for it whithout modifying H_EC. Similiar but better in my opinion. I'll post it soon.

Probably some EHC device wakes up your system. Check Console. Workaround: comment out _PRW methods in both EHC devices.

It was difficult. You need to remove the keyboard and the top of the chassis to remove the display bezel. There were many intractable plastic clips. It took some hours but that was worth it to me. I'll repeat the procedure next friday. Maybe there is time to make a video.

Contrast, brightness, viewing angles are on a par with apples displays. Important for me was the color gamut: 90% of NTSC is very good for notebook. This is only achievable with RGB- or white LEDs and the B173HW01-V4 is the only 17.3 panel with white LEDs as far as i know.

Oh yes please!

Sounds like a darn good move. If you can't record it then at least take detailed pictures please!! Awesome to have 90% covered on a lap display.

@bungo:

cool so far thx a lot for all your effort.

Sorry if my questions sounds sometimes a bit stupid, i´m on hackintosh for about 2 weeks now and before that i never hard a single word about dsdt or anything else ;-)

don´t care about he permissions stuff anymore, wasn´t sure if its important but it works perfectly as it is and i can write directly to e/e, not bad at all...

maybe the dimm/ bank error has something to do with the smbios.plist edits !? i recognized that when i remove the edit the ram checker from osx told me the second ram block is put into wrong slot...

i stoped to try out sleep fix so far also commenting out _PWR in EHC devices didn´t solve the problem, but i doesn´t matter to me so far...

@ all:

if somebody thinks about updateing osx to 10.6.6, i did it yesterday with softwareupdate, works flawlessly...

If you're using VoodooHDA for sound don't modify HDEF section in your DSDT.

(Fn+Arrows)

Bungo, I did not find HDEF being modified in your DSDT. Did you go the DSDT route or the VoodooHDA? I am just curious because you mentioned that as DSDT is certainly the better option.

NB:

Just updated via Combo to 10.6.6 without any problems. Everything runs smooth and fine like before. I love the DSDT :dev:

My cpu hot work 80-90. I need solution ?

The solution is in this thread. Did you read it all the way? Just askin´

Suppose its the Speedstepping issue. Tell us what you have fixed and which kexts reside in your E/E also which system you are having trouble with.

Weirdo. The boardsoftware is screwed? I get a weird view?

@Bungo

I went back into the EDID stuff but I keep my head scratching.

I did as you recommended and commented the EDID out without changing the Store Package and it compiles successful which is at 0x60. I decrease by 2 to 0x58 and it compiles with errors. I am a real noob I know. Please forgive my ignorance.

NB:Did someone find a way around to having the brightness being set after restart or sleep at the last setting?

@antagon

I blindly overread it. Thanks

I haven't seen any discussion for these machines, so here goes. The hardware for the R480 is nearly identical to that of the R580 (and I assume the rest of the series), hopefully we can all work together.

I have my R480 running 10.6.4 pretty much flawlessly, all but sleep (which I would really like).

My Hardware Compatibility List entry:

Core i3 2.13 GHz
4 Gigs RAM

Install method: Using retail DVD image from other leopard partition using Pacifist. Have to set AHCI to Manual and Enable in BIOS.

GUID/MBR hybrid, 5 partitions: Chameleon, Snow, Windows 7, Snow Backup, Data

Audio: Realtek ALC269-GR - Working with VoodooHDA
Video: nVidia GeForce 310M [10de:0a75] - Working with NVEnabler64
Ethernet: Marvell [11ab:4381] - Haven't tested
Wireless: Atheros AR9285 [168c:002b] - Works with modified kext
Bluetooth: Works OOB
Trackpad: Synaptics - Working with VoodooPS2Controller. Scroll coasting/inertia with Smart Scroll application.
Webcam: Works OOB

Sleep: NOT WORKING. Tried various SleepEnabler versions and settings without luck. Let me know if you have any ideas (might attempt to tackle modifying DSDT).

Got my kexts, etc from package here: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.6.3/Portables#R530

Anyone been able to get sleep working?

is there a way to get a samsung rf410 core i3 to boot mac os x using iatkos s3 v2? have some find a way? the istallation runs fine but after that the laptop only reboots someone help me please i have used almoest every flag that exist

Distros are a way of the past. Go retail with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and be happy. Sorry to not have better answer but I had always had some trouble with distros.

don´t care about he permissions stuff anymore, wasn´t sure if its important but it works perfectly as it is and i can write directly to e/e, not bad at all...

It isn't quiet right. Sometimes for some kexts you need root permissions especially located in /S/L/E.

maybe the dimm/ bank error has something to do with the smbios.plist edits !? i recognized that when i remove the edit the ram checker from osx told me the second ram block is put into wrong slot...

I don't think so.

What bootloader do you use? I'm using the AnVal 5.0.9.

i stoped to try out sleep fix so far also commenting out _PWR in EHC devices didn´t solve the problem, but i doesn´t matter to me so far...

Don't give up! I forgot that one more thing is causing an immediate wake after sleep.

Search for a Device (GLAN) in your DSDT. My oryginal one looks like this:

Device (GLAN)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x00190000)
			Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
			{
				Return (GPRW (0x0D, 0x04))
			}
		}

And if it is present fix it like this:

Device (GLAN)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x00190000)
			{
				0x09, 
				0x04
			})
		}

Bungo, I did not find HDEF being modified in your DSDT. Did you go the DSDT route or the VoodooHDA? I am just curious because you mentioned that as DSDT is certainly the better option.

I still didn't fix my sound. I'm using USB external speakers. The better option is working option. I only suppose I'll got sound working without VoodooHDA thanks to DSDT fixes and Legacy kexts.

@Bungo

I went back into the EDID stuff but I keep my head scratching.

I did as you recommended and commented the EDID out without changing the Store Package and it compiles successful which is at 0x60. I decrease by 2 to 0x58 and it compiles with errors. I am a real noob I know. Please forgive my ignorance.

0x60 - 0x02 = 0x5E. Use a build-in calc and change a view to programmer (Cmd+3)

Did someone find a way around to having the brightness being set after restart or sleep at the last setting?

I dont't have a workaround for it also. Real Macs save brightness state to SMC device, we don't have the SMC in our PC-laps.

-> My s/l/e permission are normal -> system has read/ write others only read, there i need to insert my password when i want to change something.

In e/e i can´t change folder permisions to system, there is only the user account choosable, so i don´t need to insert pw to change anything... don´t know why but so far its working without problems...

-> I´m using chameleon 2 rc5 700 at the moment

-> Sleep works now, no auto wake up, but no wake up at all, need to restart the machine :s

Edit:

After i disabled the "put HDD to sleep if possible" in energy saving settings it works !!!

but not if laptop works on battery... anyway thx a lot :-)

2nd edit:

after several tries:

obviously it works only sometimes, but can´t figure out a rule when :s

0x60 - 0x02 = 0x5E. Use a build-in calc and change a view to programmer (Cmd+3)

*lol* I have to learn so much. How dared I subtracting it the normal way.

Attached is my exported EDID now. Its the same as expected :) Maybe I will update my BIOS to 08JA. I am pretty sure they wont differ afterwards.

edidfqcf.jpg

patience man...

obviously you got different hardware then most of us, so look at kexts.com if there is a driver for your lan/ wifi or use google (search for "hardware name + kext/ driver osx/ or something else), I gues our solutions wouldn´t work for u... besides nobody of us has got a working lan so far (no kext/ no workaround/ no dsdt mod)...

I have a R580 and later insert my dsdt .All work ok but the sleep no work.Any suggerences? Geekbench 5580 points with my dsdt.Sound work best than VoodooHda with AppleHda modified I insert too later.Sorry for my bad English