Samsung R Series Notebooks

derekreid

327 posts in this topic

When I disable it i got always 111% cpu in msr tools, enabling it again and speedstep works (50% -111%)...

(in both cases msr tools shows "speedstep: on", but i can´t see any changing values without p/c states)

Ok., i see. Your CPU probably isn't supported natively unfortunetly.

post-69729-1296905583_thumb.png

lol good morning, good idea :-)... done hehe...

what I experience since i´m using the drivers smart scroll and better touch window snapping works better...

Sounds neat! Will try.

Researched the Nvidia Site and found the Drivers:

Here

GeForce 300M series:

GT 320M, GT 330M

GeForce 200 series:

GTX 285 for MAC

GeForce 100 series:

GT 120

GeForce 9M series:

9400M

GeForce 8 series:

8800 GT

GeForce 8M series:

8800M GTS, 8800M GS

Quadro series:

4000 for Mac

Quadro FX series:

FX 5600, FX 4800 for MAC

As for the ApplePS2, maybe Ivik can be a helping hand.

• 1 month later...

Hi there, I have a R730-JT0ADE and have most things working (thanks to this thread here):

• Speedstep
  • Brightness (FN+F12)
  • Sleep in hibernatemode=3 (only with AC-adaptor connected)
  • Trackpad with 2 finger scrolling
  • Good graphics support
  • Tripple boot with Grub2
  • Sound + microphone

The only issues left are:

• How can I get sleep working when running on battery?
  • When restoring from Suspend-To-Disk, the screen has a transparent layer, then goes white slowly from top to bottom and then to desktop. The white screen has some black lines in it. Is this normal? (I should take a video, it is hard to explain)
  • The touchpad supports 2-finger scrolling thanks to VoodooPS2. The upcoming Lion supports a lot of gestures with 3 and 4 fingers. How can we get those to work? When in Google Chrome, the page "about:flags" has an option to react on 3-finger swipe up, but it is not working, so I assume 3-finger gestures are not supported in my current configuration
  • Numpad not working. I read, that this is expected...

I can live with that, but I would really love to make Sleep more reliant and have the real multi-touch-gesture-magic running. The rest is not so important. I would really appreciate your help...

My configuration:

Kexts I use: VoodooBattery, VoodooPS2, VoodooHDA, fakeSMC

Chameleon 699

LegacyUSB disabled

GraphicsEnabler=yes

Generate CStates & PStates

DSDT is attached

dsdt.aml.txt

• 2 weeks later...

@antagon

another question:

i like to get rid of voodoops2 kext but the offered appleps2 kext in jose33´s package doesn´t support changing brightness with arrow keys, i´d like to patch it in a way that it does....

anybody got an idea how to ?

Apple's machines don't use PS2 controller (it is absent). We NEED on our PCs some driver for PS2 to work. Solution is VoodooPS2 or ApplePS2 (or you can write your own if you're familiar with programming). There are many versions of VoodoooPS2, ivik's one supports Samsung's shortkeys e.g. brightness controll by arrows. May be someone will write more functional version especially for our notebooks i hope.

@klaus881

I can live with that, but I would really love to make Sleep more reliant and have the real multi-touch-gesture-magic running. The rest is not so important. I would really appreciate your help...

Read this.

You can try to use Suspend-to-RAM mode:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

And retrieve some space of your disk:

sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage

About trackpad features read above

@antagon

Apple's machines don't use PS2 controller (it is absent). We NEED on our PCs some driver for PS2 to work. Solution is VoodooPS2 or ApplePS2 (or you can write your own if you're familiar with programming). There are many versions of VoodoooPS2, ivik's one supports Samsung's shortkeys e.g. brightness controll by arrows. May be someone will write more functional version especially for our notebooks i hope.

@klaus881

Read this.

You can try to use Suspend-to-RAM mode:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

And retrieve some space of your disk:

sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage

About trackpad features read above

Thanks, Bungo. I have tried different hibernatemodes. 0 does work sometimes, but sometimes it does not wake up or wake up and freezes. Hibernatemode 1 does work most of the time, but wake up is as slow as normal bootup.

Either one is far from being ideal....

Thanks

Thanks, Bungo. I have tried different hibernatemodes. 0 does work sometimes, but sometimes it does not wake up or wake up and freezes. Hibernatemode 1 does work most of the time, but wake up is as slow as normal bootup.

Either one is far from being ideal....

Thanks

You're using many automated fixes but not all works well for all ;)

You should to experiment. Start from not using GraphicsEnabler=Yes Chameleon's feature but fix your graphics by modifying DSDT.

BTW. Would you mind attaching decompiled DSDT (dsl) instead of compiled (aml)?

You're using many automated fixes but not all works well for all ;)

You should to experiment. Start from not using GraphicsEnabler=Yes Chameleon's feature but fix your graphics by modifying DSDT

Ok, will try to read me through some docs and probably start over with a new DSDT.aml file....

Thanks a bunch

Ok, will try to read me through some docs and probably start over with a new DSDT.aml file....

Thanks a bunch

First of all try to compile your unmodified DSDT, you'll see what you have to fix obligatorily. Check if all fixes you applied you really need. In my case RTC, HPET, TIMR, IPIC didn't need fixing in DSDT.

You can test other bootloaders, i use AnVal.

Ivik's VoodooPS supports some Samsung shortcuts e.g. brightness and sound change by fn+arrows, disable/enable trackpad.

For nVidia fixing read this.

• 3 weeks later...

hi every one,

i have the r730-jb02uk and i'm having a few problems with the graphics and getting it to boot with out the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cd.

can any one tell me what kexts i need? cheers

Has anyone tried to install Lion on one of the Samsung R Series notebooks? I am currently reading into it to hopefully at some point do a Lion install on my Samsung R530 - Core i3, Nvidia 310m etc... Any feedback is welcomed.

I have never been able to figure out how to get the battery status/icon to show on the menubar. Ive tried voodoobattery and it loads but nothing shows up. When I tick the button to display battery status, the icons move as is it will show, but nothing happens and the battery display button won't stay ticked.

Samsung R530 - Core i3 350m - nvidia 310m etc...

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, did anybody get HDMI audio output working on a Samsung R530 (NVidia 310M), I read the precedent posts there are solutions that proposes to modify DSDT but I don't know to modify mine.

I'm also wondering if anyone else got HDMI audio to work. The HDMI video comes out crisp but the audio just goes through the internal speakers. I'll post if I find anything new.

EDIT: Just found the HDMI audio info on this thread (oops, missed it before). Will tinker and get back to you.

Hey guys, did anybody get HDMI audio output working on a Samsung R530 (NVidia 310M), I read the precedent posts there are solutions that proposes to modify DSDT but I don't know to modify mine.

Can anyone help me get my wifi working? I've tried 3 different IO80211Family kexts and I still can't see it in my Network panel. On a Samsung R580 i3 M 330 with GeForce GT 310M.

You forgot to tell us the most important thing: a model of your wi-fi card

Sure, HDMI A&V work fine for me, but your case may be different.

There are two cases depend of gfx card:

1. HDMI audio device next to your gfx device (mine case)

or

2. HDMI audio under HDEF device

I've a solution for first case only. In the first case you need to add a Device (HDAU) section (copied from original MacBookPro6,1's DSDT ) to your DSDT but second i suppose needs modifying AppleHDA and DSDT.

IORegistryExplorer should tell you wchich one is your case.

Sure, HDMI A&V work fine for me, but your case may be different.

There are two cases depend of gfx card:

1. HDMI audio device next to your gfx device (mine case)

or

2. HDMI audio under HDEF device

I've a solution for first case only. In the first case you need to add a Device (HDAU) section (copied from original MacBookPro6,1's DSDT ) to your DSDT but second i suppose needs modifying AppleHDA and DSDT.

IORegistryExplorer should tell you wchich one is your case.

Hi everyone, i have a Samsung R430 with Core2Duo, Geforce310m, 4gigs ram, sound Alc269, Atheros 9285. ive been reading for a while all the posts in this thread and starting with DSDT editing but im kind of new to this stuff.

I have installed using iatkos and upgrading to 10.6.7 everything works good besides sleep, brigthness. and HDMI audio output.

So i would like to start dsdt editing but im still a newbie. What ive already done is to insert DSDT audio to get rid of VoodooHDA, its not 100% stable although, i dont know why (I think its due to AppleHDA kext). I would like if someone knows, which Fixes or codes are needed in order to get Vanilla as much as its possible (Powermanagement, Gfx, HPET, brightness, hdmi audio, etc..) In order to update someday to Osx Lion also.

Hope someone could help me with some tips or ideas!

Thanks Anyway

• 2 weeks later...
no problems for me just applied the modified applehda and the other kext, into the package from jose33 (forgot the name at the moment)...

I ised the automatic update version, not the combo update...

I want to jump onto the 10.6.7. now. Do I have to repatch anything myself for the audio stuff? Care to add the needed elements please? Altough Lion is around, I have to update to 10.6.7. respectively 10.6.8 in order to be Lion ready.

EDIT:

Did it. Auto update and replaced the Apple HDA and IOAudiofamily with Jose´s versions via Kexthelper.

Seems these Kexts werent touched by Apple as I could not see any difference to prior version 10.6.6

• 2 weeks later...
Some help for Samsung R522 dual boot?

use chameleon

Alright thanx i'll try it!!

It's been a while guys so @derekreid i tried a retail installation and it worked but it don't reconize my ati mobility 4650, atheros ar5007eg wireless and my marvell yukon 88e8057 lan :( so now i'm looking for some solutions