$49 iMac G3 - 350MHz 64MB 6GB

13 posts in this topic

I wouldnt know about tiger. I have a 500MHZ G3 iBook with 256MB RAM and it runs Panther OK. If I have iTunes, Mozilla, and Adium open at the same time it slows down. But if its just a couple things its fine. Just go with Panther, Tiger would probably be too slow on those specs.

I've read, though, that on a lot of older Macs, Tiger actually runs faster than Panther.

My grandma doesn't need much - just the occasional game of solitaire and mah jong. :)

Yeah, I think you can only upgrade that model to 256.

As you move up to more modern iMac models, you can upgrade to 1 gig, but those obviously cost more.

I'd be scared to try Tiger or any OS on 64 MB of RAM.

I'm gonna ask my grandma how much she'd be willing to spend. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey!

Yep it will work in Tiger. My hand in fire for that, but... You need at LEAST 256MB Ram, the overclocking would be fine, and a way to get the Tiger into it, so you need a DVD Rom, and the MOST of ALL Xpostfacto application, freeware. Google it.

Im runing 10.3.9 on a Beigie G3 /266, And Hell its great!!! Im running Strata 3D CX, quite quick renders very quick but in wire frame needs to readraw a lot with its 6MB of VRAM.

If you can get the iMac, Get it!!! My advise

Tray Loading iMac... I personally would advise against this one. At least step up to the slot loading. The tray loaders use SODIMM's and upgrading the RAM is a lot more expensive. Slot Loading iMacs use the same old PC100 we used to put in our desktops (168 pin). Much cheaper. Plus they support more RAM. Tray Loading -> max 256. You can bump the Slot Loading to 512. You will HAVE to buy more RAM before putting Tiger on the Tray Loader unless you want to pull the hard drive and do the install in a different PPC machine. Tiger will not install with this little RAM. Heck I've seen a lot of PPC machines with ~128 RAM fail to install due to instability.

The lack of DVD is a non issue as Tiger is available on a 4 CD set.

That price is good however if you intend to gut it and turn it into a nice fish tank. :whistle:

Or if you wanna run Panther... *shrug*

Yeah, I ended up buying a slot loader for 89 bucks (shipped) on eBay. My grandma is really happy with it and it's quite fast.

Good job. :)

The girlfriend's second comp is a 600MHz slot loading iMac running 10.4.7 and she's happy with it too.