Dell Optiplex GX520

Dellmantt

282 posts in this topic

[help needed]

i have the same cpu as Dellmantt . specs = http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1543934

i used iATKOS S3 V2 to install snow leopard successfully 

i have used several combinations in CUSTOMIZE dialog in the setup 

but every time i boot through chameleon bootloader rc4, it hangs on the gray apple logo and even the round progress indicator doesnt showup.

i have tried several flags = -v -x -f arch=i386 cpus=1 busratio=14 etc but every time it hangs 

in -v verbose mode =, i get error message=

efi_inject_get_devprop_string NULL trying stringdata

Patched DMI Table.

No DSDT replacement found. Leaving ACPI data as is

Starting Darwin x86.

then a black screen appears and hangs on it. it doesnt restart . i have to push the on off button

HELP  PLEASE!

i have successfully installed and booted 10.51 before but 10.63 is not booting!

Obviously not.

This Guide is about using the myhack method to install Snow Leopard on GX520-620.

Not about installing with a Distro.

i have successfully installed and booted 10.51 before but 10.63 is not booting!

Then I suggest you use the" Leopard install" to install SL on another drive or partition as per the guide. The guide has been proven to work on this hardware many times.

Obviously not.

in a sense.. it installs but doesnt boot!

Then I suggest you use the" Leopard install" to install SL on another drive or partition as per the guide. The guide has been proven to work on this hardware many times.

u mean to run osinstall.mpkg and install to another partition from leopard( i have only 1 hdd)?

BTW-What do you have a 520 or 620?
gx520
Or start from scratch with a couple of partitions.
that's what i just did

the install is successful, but when i boot into snow leopard partition, it doesn't go past the apple gray screen.

i waited for 20 min for it to do sth, then hopelessly rebooted into windows

may be i should wait longer for 1st boot?

PS. I installed using iAtkos s3 v2 not retail

PS. I installed using iAtkos s3 v2 not retail

To explain again!!. This thread is about using a "Retail Disc" with 'myHack", NOT a crappy 'Distro"

Either purchase/obtain the "Retail Disc" or take your questions to another thread please.

Here for example http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=191179

EDIT--I can see what the problem is. Because it is a "Distro User" problem I will not answer in this thread.

Many thanks Dellmantt! Your method worked like a charm on my Dell GX520 with 2GB of VS Corsair RAM and a TDK Trans-it 8K Flash Drive.

Just for other newbies like myself, the Snow Leopard 10.6.0 retail installer disk needs an Intel Mac as the Donor PC - a G4 or other PowerPC won't do. I used a friend's iMac Intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz. Even with no optional installs like extra fonts or printer drivers the install took roughly half an hour (the install did not give any errors). The MyHack install on the other hand is much quicker. The install drive had under 5GB of data on it. The Dell is seen as a Mac mini 3.19GHz!

BTW Ethernet, AC97 sound and display (up to 1280x1024) are fine - I use a 17" analogue monitor 1024x768@85Hz.

Great stuff! :)

Many thanks Dellmantt! Your method worked like a charm on my Dell GX520 with 2GB of VS Corsair RAM and a TDK Trans-it 8K Flash Drive

Glad to hear of another success

Just for other newbies like myself, the Snow Leopard 10.6.0 retail installer disk needs an Intel Mac as the Donor PC - a G4 or other PowerPC won't do. I used a friend's iMac Intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz. Even with no optional installs like extra fonts or printer drivers the install took roughly half an hour (the install did not give any errors). The MyHack install on the other hand is much quicker. The install drive had under 5GB of data on it. The Dell is seen as a Mac mini 3.19GHz!

True you can't use this method with a PPC mac, but you can use the original instructions from the myhack site (Restore retail disc or image to an external drive, then run myhack to make a bootable installer). I have done it with a G4 400agp, the restore takes for ever though.

BTW Ethernet, AC97 sound and display (up to 1280x1024) are fine - I use a 17" analogue monitor 1024x768@85Hz.
For Video are you using the DSDT method of the patched frame buffer?

I used the patched frame buffer, AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext, not a DSDT file. I have yet to study that way in detail. I suppose one has to re-install to do it with DSDT.

On SATA-0 there is a WD 250GB HDD with GUID and three partitions, MacOSX, Data (both HFS+ Journaled) and one in FAT32 for a possible Windows one day, though Boot Camp Assistant from SL says it's not possible. On SATA-2 there is a WD Caviar 40GB with three partitions under MFT, Win XP SP3, swap and Ubuntu 10.4. If I turn on both disks in BIOS, the Chameleon 2RC4 boot loader "wins" over the GRUB 2 loader on SATA-2. So to boot with GRUB, I turn off SATA-O in BIOS. Win XP can't see the GUID partition anyway. Both disks are in "Normal" 3Gb/sec mode now and seem to be OK.

BTW Ubuntu 10.4 boots very quickly less than 10 seconds. The other surprising thing is that according to Sys Info Snow Leopard overclocks the two Corsair 1GB DDR-2 RAM sticks to 667MHz, whereas WinXP and Ubuntu leave them at 533MHz. WinXP moderates the processor speed from (x16) 3.2GHz to (x12) 2.3GHz when very little is happening. Snow Leopard and Ubuntu keep it at 3.2GHz. I've turned off Hyperthreading in BIOS although it works in WinXP and Ubuntu.

I used the patched frame buffer, AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext, not a DSDT file. I have yet to study that way in detail. I suppose one has to re-install to do it with DSDT.
No. if you installed the kext with "kext Utility" the vanilla kext is in the S/L/E folder renamed as "AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext.bak". Just delete the patched Kext and rename the original.
On SATA-0 there is a WD 250GB HDD with GUID and three partitions, MacOSX, Data (both HFS+ Journaled) and one in FAT32 for a possible Windows one day, though Boot Camp Assistant from SL says it's not possible. On SATA-2 there is a WD Caviar 40GB with three partitions under MFT, Win XP SP3, swap and Ubuntu 10.4. If I turn on both disks in BIOS, the Chameleon 2RC4 boot loader "wins" over the GRUB 2 loader on SATA-2. So to boot with GRUB, I turn off SATA-O in BIOS. Win XP can't see the GUID partition anyway. Both disks are in "Normal" 3Gb/sec mode now and seem to be OK.
Boot Camp does not work on Hackintosh only a real Mac. Not needed anyway Chameleon will boot Windows & Linux. Why not change the boot order or use F12?

I run XP from the a physical partition under VMware Fusion, it is nearly as quick as running XP natively. I only run two programs occasionally in windows, TomTom Home (mac version buggy) And "Nokia PC Suite" (mac version doesn't support my model phone). Very handy as I don't need to reboot to access those programs.

BTW Ubuntu 10.4 boots very quickly less than 10 seconds. The other surprising thing is that according to Sys Info Snow Leopard overclocks the two Corsair 1GB DDR-2 RAM sticks to 667MHz, whereas WinXP and Ubuntu leave them at 533MHz. WinXP moderates the processor speed from (x16) 3.2GHz to (x12) 2.3GHz when very little is happening. Snow Leopard and Ubuntu keep it at 3.2GHz. I've turned off Hyperthreading in BIOS although it works in WinXP and Ubuntu.
Hyperthreading works for me in both OS X and XP. Interesting about the RAM speeds, my sticks are kingston 667MHz which they run at in OS X, will check in XP next time I restart in XP natively. And XP moderating speed-See if speedstep is turned on in bios.

Yes, I used the kext utility script to install the patched kexts, dropping them onto its icon on the desktop. I saw where the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext.bak folder is. You leave the kextension in the folder just taking the .bak extension off the folder name after zapping the patched kext?

I'll be checking out the possibilities of Chameleon as a Boot Loader for Win XP and Ubuntu.

I'll look into VMware Fusion too. The main program I use in Windows is "VideoRedo" for editing ads out of TV MPEG2 recordings and cleaning up the stream. I like its "Fast Frame copy" which saves the edit of a 40 minute episode in about 1min 30secs.

I haven't got Speedstep on in BIOS, and maybe I'll try out Hyperthreading with Snow Leopard.

I installed the Snow Leopard 10.6.4 update today and everything is OK. Thanks for the method, Dellmantt ;) I tried out MacFuse and fuse-ext2 and my Ubuntu ext4 volume on the other HDD was mounted and readable, then I uninstalled them.

Hyperthreading works too and shows as two CPUs in Activity Monitor, but I've turned it off again for the moment. I must study when HT is useful.

BTW Just for other newbies, when you take the .bak extension off the folder AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext.bak, Finder changes the icon back into a kext package. (sorry about the needless question Dellmantt!)

I have three partitions on my HDD, MacOSX (Snow Leopard 10.6.4), Data and Backup. I just changed the latter two partition sizes by booting from my TDK 8GB USB SL "Install" Memory Stick and running IPartition 3 from it. However this messed up the Chameleon 2 RC4 Bootloader on the HDD SL partition. So I rebooted from the USB Stick, chose my MacOSX partition on the HDD rather than "Install" and re-ran a Chameleon Installer once I was in SL. This fixed it.

10.6.6 released on Jan 6.

Working!

post-696481-1294483407_thumb.png

Have you installed your macosx? I also instaled with iatkos v2 and had no problems. Great distro. If you need any help with that just say it.

PS: Use my Dsdt, its on this thread. -_-

Have you installed your macosx?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=84574

Looks like it

I also instaled with iatkos v2 and had no problems. Great distro. If you need any help with that just say it.

This Guide is about the myhack method using a retail disc not installing with a distro. ( http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1605895 ) If you want to discuss installing with a Distro, please take the discussion to http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=191179 or start a guide yourself.

PS: Use my Dsdt, its on this thread. :)
Due to the different configurations available in the 520-620 's it is advisable to compile ones own dsdt.

BTW sleep works fine (with hyper threading) in 10.6.5-6. I never tried it with earlier versions. http://code.google.com/p/xnu-sleep-enabler/

Me again....

Still having network issues.

I've looked at post #18 and recreated the MACADD script.

I still can't access the internet; it only works if I do the "sudo ifconfig...."

At this point in time, I really don't want to have to replace my router; it's a Netgear WNR2000.

Any suggestions?

Ok, I'm a big noob with the Mac and UNIX (been a Windows guy for years but love my Macbook Pro and have purchased 4 Macs in the past two years). Was able to implement all of the directions provided and got my GX520 working, but did run into the network issue where the MAC address was all zeros.

I may have found a simpler way to insert the actual MAC address every time the system is booted....feel free to tell me I'm an idiot if a missed something that all you MAC folks already know about.

Anyway, if you do this, I think it is pretty much a single step process.....

Open a terminal window and type (not sure if you need to sudo -s first):

cd /etc

sudo nano rc.local

edit the end of the file with:

ifconfig en0 ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

where you replace the xx's with your actual MAC address

press ctrl-x, and select y to save it.

I think this bypassess all the sudo permissions issues and when you reboot it automatically sets the MAC address.

This Guide is about the myhack method using a retail disc not installing with a distro. ( http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1605895 ) If you want to discuss installing with a Distro, please take the discussion to http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=191179 or start a guide yourself.

Due to the different configurations available in the 520-620 's it is advisable to compile ones own dsdt.

OK SORRY!!!! I will not mention any distro again on your thread. :)

BTW sleep works fine (with hyper threading) in 10.6.5-6. I never tried it with earlier versions. http://code.google.com/p/xnu-sleep-enabler/

Thankx, Ill try that one.

Btw , has anyone changed the graphics card on these dell 520 or 620? At 1680 x 1050 the gma950 is a little bit slow.