ATI Radeon HD6000, HD5000 and HD4000 series support in Chameleon

Kabyl

868 posts in this topic

Works just like before with the UseAtiRom method. Scores the same in Cinebench. I only have 1 monitor with one connector so I'm afraid I couldn't be much help for testing past a single DVI.

Thanks for all your hard work Kabyl

Unless you are using a mod'd ROM file you shouldn't need UseAtiROM any more as Ati.c will now read from BIOS ROM and inject values.

D

Let me know if it happens again with the current booter.

Will do.

D

Hi Kabyl

Booted this morning and got this very odd glitch (see video.).

In-between the flashing I could still move the mouse and managed to restart.

I have until now been using the last boot file you sent me when testing. Don't know if anything has changed but in case have now switched to the boot from the first post here.

FKA.mov

Any ideas?

This happens on "real" Mac Pros too: http://discussions.info.apple.com/thread.j...=0&tstart=0. Also see my post #22. I replaced my videocard and it hasn't happened since.

Unless you are using a mod'd ROM file you shouldn't need UseAtiROM any more as Ati.c will now read from BIOS ROM and inject values.

D

Correct, I was just saying that using Kabyl's boot file gave me the exact same outcome as my previous setup using a ROM file. Same stability, same cinebench scores, etc.

I've tried all the framebuffers, and each time end up with garbage (see photo below.) Typically the garbage will remain on the screen for 15-30 seconds and then the screen goes black and the system becomes unresponsive (ie, no disk activity) If I move the mouse, I can sometimes see changing patterns on the screen depending on the framebuffer chosen. I have no idea what could be causing my results. Other methods of enabling the 5750 have produced similar results. I found a similar result here:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5641

Anyone have a clue what might be causing this?

post-60455-1285032556_thumb.jpg

Hi guys,

Today my sapphire HD 5870 arrived.

I tried the boot file into the booter, without any other parameters except graphicsenabler, that's all.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Which is the booter that is based on this one. I mean, I have one dsdt.aml file based on C2RC5 mozodojo, and I don't know if its the same branch or totally different branch.

2) I don't understand why in the system information there isn't any pci card (for the graphics card), there was the information about the link speed and many other parameters, and know I can't see any information due to the problem that is not there any pci card. Could you enable that?

One thing more, I had any glitches in the screen when I boot up the first time, then I realized that I connected the display in the second DVI (the bottom conector), I have red lines and another glitches and some turn on/turn off monitor, not too much.

I shut down the computer again, and I connected the display in the first DVI connector (the above one), in this case, I haven't got any glitches or turn on/off problems with the monitor. Was good.

I tried again with the second DVI connector, and this time, there weren't red lines, only the turn on/off problems, but all the time, didn't stop. So I changed again to the first connector and was good again.

So, I don't think that with this configuration, I can enable multimonitor, due to the problem with the second connector.

3) Maybe could be a problem with the framebuffer? (I didn't change any option about fb).

Thank you very much.

Well it looks like this is also a problem with MacPro's shipped with 5770's.

I'm guessing it must be a problem with the new Apple ATI drivers.

Good to know it's not purely a hack issue!

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=12296558

D

Hi Kabyl

Booted this morning and got this very odd glitch (see video.).

In-between the flashing I could still move the mouse and managed to restart.

I have until now been using the last boot file you sent me when testing. Don't know if anything has changed but in case have now switched to the boot from the first post here.

FKA.mov

Any ideas?

Hi guys,

Today my sapphire HD 5870 arrived.

I tried the boot file into the booter, without any other parameters except graphicsenabler, that's all.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Which is the booter that is based on this one. I mean, I have one dsdt.aml file based on C2RC5 mozodojo, and I don't know if its the same branch or totally different branch.

2) I don't understand why in the system information there isn't any pci card (for the graphics card), there was the information about the link speed and many other parameters, and know I can't see any information due to the problem that is not there any pci card. Could you enable that?

One thing more, I had any glitches in the screen when I boot up the first time, then I realized that I connected the display in the second DVI (the bottom conector), I have red lines and another glitches and some turn on/turn off monitor, not too much.

I shut down the computer again, and I connected the display in the first DVI connector (the above one), in this case, I haven't got any glitches or turn on/off problems with the monitor. Was good.

I tried again with the second DVI connector, and this time, there weren't red lines, only the turn on/off problems, but all the time, didn't stop. So I changed again to the first connector and was good again.

So, I don't think that with this configuration, I can enable multimonitor, due to the problem with the second connector.

3) Maybe could be a problem with the framebuffer? (I didn't change any option about fb).

Thank you very much.

There are a lot of more info here, and more questions.

Well it looks like this is also a problem with MacPro's shipped with 5770's.

I'm guessing it must be a problem with the new Apple ATI drivers.

Good to know it's not purely a hack issue!

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=12296558

D

Is not exactly the same behaviour, because my screen goes black, not grey wih snow. It turns off/on. Is not the same... and the red lines?...

And the most important thing here, in system info there is not pci card o pci device, so I can't see the link speed, etc... Should be there isn't it?

Is not exactly the same behaviour, because my screen goes black, not grey wih snow. It turns off/on. Is not the same... and the red lines?...

And the most important thing here, in system info there is not pci card o pci device, so I can't see the link speed, etc... Should be there isn't it?

This was not in referance to your problem ed_co. It was in referance to an issue I had experianced.

Please see the post I had quoted!

D

This booter has a new key; "AtiFb", if one would like to try a different framebuffer;

...snip

any hints for framebuffers for a 4670 (club 3D 1GB) card? I get some (motmot, flicker) buffers only on VGA with a dongled DVI-port to work.

Testet:

Alopias

Alouatta

Baboon

Cardinal

Caretta

Colobus

Motmot

Flicker

Peregrine

Quail

Shrike

any hints what buffer maybe enabled my DVI-port?

I tried this on a clean OS X install. I have a Sapphire 4830 card. All the updates are installed. It says very quickly during boot that I have an unsupported card. Indeed, piping boot through strings does appear that there is no support for 4830 cards. Is there any way that I can get my card supported?

Hey,

I've done the testing and it works great.

The AtiFb key is a very good feature especially for the 4770 card which framebuffer seems to be very dependent on the layout.

My card : ATI HD 4770 Sapphire with output : 2 DVI and 1 TV

GraphicsUpdate but with AtiRadeonX2000* kexts from 10.6.3 (Necessary with 4770)

Test with GraphicsEnabler=Yes and AtiFb=Choosenframebuffer

Peregrine is set as default but was never reported to work with 4770, Flicker will be a better choice as a base.

Tested:

Motmot : works with DVI->VGA only with DVI1 (the nearest the motherboard)

Flicker : works with DVI or DVI->VGA only with DVI1 with inverted color, solve by resolution change and come back (as usual)

Other framebuffers: doesn't work or report the screen as VGA.

So far it seems the outputs working are the same as for chameleon rc4, performance seems the same too.

I noticed I've nothing in SystemProfiler->PciCard : that's new, perhaps it's just some cosmetic that you don't implement.

Ioreg_and_screenshot_HD4770.zip

PS:

If I add AtiFb=Choosenframebuffer in com.apple.Boot.plist directly as kernel flag doesn't work, need to be add as a key parameter. I assume it's normal.

No one is interested on that? I can't believe it...

Cheers.

Hi to everyone ;)

Excuse me if i post i this section but i have only one question.. I have an ati hd5145 mobility 512 mb .. but i dont have QE and CI enabled. exist a way to enabling this in snow 10.6.4 ?!?.

Please anione respond ;) if not exist way to make qe and ci working in this gpu i have to sell my notebook immediately "Asus X52Jb" core i5 450m ati hd5145 mobility radeon.

many many thanks...

...snip

any hints for framebuffers for a 4670 (club 3D 1GB) card? I get some (motmot, flicker) buffers only on VGA with a dongled DVI-port to work.

Testet:

Alopias

Alouatta

Baboon

Cardinal

Caretta

Colobus

Motmot

Flicker

Peregrine

Quail

Shrike

any hints what buffer maybe enabled my DVI-port?

Try them until you find a working one, do make some effort.

I tried this on a clean OS X install. I have a Sapphire 4830 card. All the updates are installed. It says very quickly during boot that I have an unsupported card. Indeed, piping boot through strings does appear that there is no support for 4830 cards. Is there any way that I can get my card supported?

What device id?

Hey,

I've done the testing and it works great.

The AtiFb key is a very good feature especially for the 4770 card which framebuffer seems to be very dependent on the layout.

My card : ATI HD 4770 Sapphire with output : 2 DVI and 1 TV

GraphicsUpdate but with AtiRadeonX2000* kexts from 10.6.3 (Necessary with 4770)

Test with GraphicsEnabler=Yes and AtiFb=Choosenframebuffer

Peregrine is set as default but was never reported to work with 4770, Flicker will be a better choice as a base.

Tested:

Motmot : works with DVI->VGA only with DVI1 (the nearest the motherboard)

Flicker : works with DVI or DVI->VGA only with DVI1 with inverted color, solve by resolution change and come back (as usual)

Other framebuffers: doesn't work or report the screen as VGA.

So far it seems the outputs working are the same as for chameleon rc4, performance seems the same too.

Thanks for the feedback

I noticed I've nothing in SystemProfiler->PciCard : that's new, perhaps it's just some cosmetic that you don't implement.
No one is interested on that? I can't believe it...

Cheers.

This isn't important ATM.

Hi to everyone ;)

Excuse me if i post i this section but i have only one question.. I have an ati hd5145 mobility 512 mb .. but i dont have QE and CI enabled. exist a way to enabling this in snow 10.6.4 ?!?.

Please anione respond ;) if not exist way to make qe and ci working in this gpu i have to sell my notebook immediately "Asus X52Jb" core i5 450m ati hd5145 mobility radeon.

many many thanks...

What device id?

Hi to everyone ;)

many many thanks...

I've got the impression that mobile 5xxx series are not supported due to the lack of LVDS support in the drivers (the internal connection used in laptops. The simple reason for this is that there are no Apple laptops with ATI cards in them. I swear netkas confirmed this somewhere in the comments section on one of his articles.

What device id?

Thanks for the feedback

This isn't important ATM.

What device id?

Thanks for your answer .. now i'm at work .. 3 hours and i post the device id ok ?..

Help me and i make a 70 dollars of donation for you ... not a joke...

thanks .. very thanks so much

INFO:

Snow leopard 10.6.4 vanilla 10.4.0 no DSDT no kernel flags.

Snow leopard graphics update not installed

i have used the netkas ati 5xxx series kext to fix boot issue for video cards and i have a chamaleon rc5 r516 installed.

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5145

vram 256mb

vendor ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: (0x9553)

Revision id: (0x0000)

Kernel extension info: No kext loaded

Resolution : Only 1024x768 32bbp

OK, i have tested so far all the FB:

Club 3D 4670 (CGAX-H46724I), SL with actual patches (10.6.4 and graphics update)

FB works with VGA-output and the DVI-VGA dongle in the DVI-plug:

Baboon

Flicker

Motmot

Uakari

Vervet

REM (Monitor will be recognized as "VGA Monitor" instead the right type. If the DVI-VGA dongle would be removed the screen goes in sleeping mode)(BTW: Peregrine and Shrike doesn't work)

FB works without DVI-VGA dongle and displays the right monitor type in profiler:

Eulemur

(so it seems the best one for me)

none of them enables DVI-output

Hi Kabyl,

I thought I should give you an update before I gave the results of my testing.

My card is an Asus EAH5770 CuCore 1GB GDDR5 which has 1xDVI, 1xVGA, and 1xHDMI and I'm on a Gigabyte p55a-ud4p with an i5.

I initially used ATY_init with netkas' kexts, then used Mohamed's method with the .rom from my card (dumped from win7) and now your method without .rom and just the boot file you created. For the previous 2 methods the only way I could get a screen was to use a DVI2VGA connector and then have the signal go to the D-Sub input on my monitor.

So I wanted to try your method to see if I could get my DVI port working with my DVI cable instead. I tried ALL 30 FB's without success. A few of them (Eulemur, Flicker, Gliff, Kakapo, Quail, Raven, and Shrike) all produced an interesting result. After the apple loading screen with the wheel, the screen appeared to briefly flicker two images while the "no signal" dialogue flashed on and off repeatedly (like it was sensing a connection, but not the right signal?)

Anyway, after that I decided to boot with only my HDMI2DVI adapter plugged in. Under Vervet there is no signal, and putting the DVI2VGA cable into the DVI port produces no image either. Ready to give up I decided to try a couple of the other FB's with this method. Eulemur has produced what I just described, but once I put the DVI2VGA adapter into the DVI port, I got a signal on DVI! I've also tried Hoolock which does not produce desired result, even with both adapters plugged in.

I was hoping you might have some wisdom to bestow on me and my card. I've spent quite a lot of time studying all of the guides, reading all the forums and even passing on the limited advice I've acquired to others. If you want I can try to do an ioreg dump, but does it make a difference which Fb I'm using when I do?

Is my output issue even due to the Fb choice?

Sorry for the lengthy post btw. I'm just a little frazzled and I would like to continue helping others in the community who might be having similar woes. Thanks for your time

J

OK, i have tested so far all the FB:

Club 3D 4670 (CGAX-H46724I), SL with actual patches (10.6.4 and graphics update)

FB works with VGA-output and the DVI-VGA dongle in the DVI-plug:

Baboon

Flicker

Motmot

Uakari

Vervet

REM (Monitor will be recognized as "VGA Monitor" instead the right type. If the DVI-VGA dongle would be removed the screen goes in sleeping mode)(BTW: Peregrine and Shrike doesn't work)

FB works without DVI-VGA dongle and displays the right monitor type in profiler:

Eulemur

(so it seems the best one for me)

none of them enables DVI-output

Thanks for your feedback. Read the last 2 lines below.

The device id is 0x944c. All of the 4830s seem to have that device id. Thanks.

That device id isn't present in the binary, so the kext needs to be patched, and then maybe there is a chance it would work.

I wonder wij imrazor's post and mine concerning 5750 are being completely ignored. Device id:0x68be.

I wonder if you have tested the FBs like imrazor did.

Sometimes there are cards with the same device id, but with a different model name, I guess I'll have to check for subsystem ids too.

There is a reason why I asked for the screenshot and the dump, help me help you.

I've got my ATI Radeon Gigabyte HD 5670 working with Baboon framebuffer. No HDMI which is a shame. I'm going to do a fresh install to test, and then post results here. Thanks for your booter, it's useful to change FBs except it's really frustrating for me because I want my HDMI to work. Currently DVItoVGA dongle and VGA are working perfectly.

But enough said, fresh install coming up, and then I'm going to post results. Thankyou Kabyl and everyone else.

It's a shame barely anyone uses 5670 though.. alot of people are having trouble and yet they keep begging me. T_T"

Sometimes there are cards with the same device id, but with a different model name, I guess I'll have to check for subsystem ids too.

OK, my Profiler says this to my card, without eulemur i'm getting only a "VGA monitor" instead the Benq:

ATI Radeon HD 4670:

Chipsatz-Modell: ATI Radeon HD 4670

Typ: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe-Lane-Breite: x16

VRAM (gesamt): 1024 MB

Hersteller: ATI (0x1002)

Geräte-ID: 0x9490

Versions-ID: 0x0000

Monitore:

BenQ G2220HD:

Auflösung: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz