The issue of people not reading correctly and posting in the wriong forums!

15 posts in this topic

It seems to be getting worse and I feel it's contributing to a lot of the clutter and mess here atm (no offence intended). The site needs some kind of moderation before posts/threads are approved. I know it's a big job but I've lost track of how many people I've seen posting random questions and BS in the wrong forums, in just the last week!!!! :)

This is a great place, an awesome place, but it's full of idiots who refuse to read the basic information given to them and then wonder why their hacks fail and they can't get any help. :thumbsdown_anim:

The site needs some kind of moderation before posts/threads are approved. I know it's a big job but I've lost track of how many people I've seen posting random questions and BS in the wrong forums, in just the last week!!!! :)

That simply can't be done. We global mods are a handful of people.

We tried it with the nVidia forum, and that on itself takes a local mod.

What really would help is users reporting more. There are thousands of users here every day.

what would you want, a PM?

if so to who, local or global mods? - that's going to be a lot of PM's!

surely wouldn't take too much work to at least be aproving new threads.

I think the biggest problem is pointless new threads about topics that already have a productive and active thread.

I know the 5 post thing has been tried but you could say, anybody with less than maybe 50 posts must have their new thread approved first.

Also think the small quiz they have at the project is a good idea. It would eliminate a lot of the spam and force users to at least gain some small amount of backgound info before they can post.

D

I watched a MOD today answer a question in the wrong forum. Not redirect the ignorant user but answer them,which is good if it solves their issue but bad because they didn't learn from their mistake.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=224646

I just feel the forum is very cluttered with idiots who refuse to help themselves and read and learn as most of us have had to do. :)

Just use Report, bottom left, and it will be dealt with.

As to any other option, it gets discussed by the staff on a regular basis, but not everything is easy to implement.

I watched a MOD today answer a question in the wrong forum. Not redirect the ignorant user but answer them,which is good if it solves their issue but bad because they didn't learn from their mistake.

OK, moved. I suppose the mod felt like he could help there and then and didn't want to take any further action.

As to any other option, it gets discussed by the staff on a regular basis, but not everything is easy to implement.

I'm sure it does and is - just putting my two peneth worth in :(

surely wouldn't take too much work to at least be aproving new threads.

I think the biggest problem is pointless new threads about topics that already have a productive and active thread.

I know the 5 post thing has been tried but you could say, anybody with less than maybe 50 posts must have their new thread approved first.

Also think the small quiz they have at the project is a good idea. It would eliminate a lot of the spam and force users to at least gain some small amount of backgound info before they can post.

D

Yeah, we can have a quiz over here as well. And with a set of random but very basic questions ...

OK, moved. I suppose the mod felt like he could help there and then and didn't want to take any further action.

Except that it's a moderator's job to...moderate. If they catch something in the wrong forum, can they move it or does it involve a committee decision? Why didn't this moderator move the topic? I mean that's the action that should have been done along with the answer.

Except that it's a moderator's job to...moderate. If they catch something in the wrong forum, can they move it or does it involve a committee decision? Why didn't this moderator move the topic? I mean that's the action that should have been done along with the answer.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?act=boardrules

Do not publicly argue the decision of a moderator. If you disagree with a moderator take it up with them in private via PM.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...mp;CODE=leaders

@All We know there is a problem, we're working on it. If you have suggestions, let us know ;). (And if you want to complain, don't).

If repeated off topic posting by the same users is a big problem you could institute a "3 strikes system"

1st strike: When the user logs on, a warning message pops up notifying them off the offense, and makes them read the forum rules and make them check a box next to each rule one by one, or you make them take a randomized multiple choice quiz based on the forum rules, without the rules present(closed book test!).

2nd strike: A warning on log on informs them they are barred from starting new threads for 2 days, maybe on their first post after the ban is lifted, an annoying ask pops up "Is this the right forum for this thread?" "are you sure?" etc...

3rd strike: A warning on log on informs them they are barred from starting new threads replying to existing ones threads, or pm users for 7 days. All they can do is read topics, PM mods and edit their profile. Maybe during the 7 day period there's a floating box with the forum rules in the corner at all times.

I was going to add auto-kicking them to the lo-fi version of the site but I guess they could just log off..

I mean maybe my examples are a bit harsh but you get the idea...

The community could really police itself in this matter with an up/down system. With enough "thumbs down," let's say 5 of them for this example, the topic/post gets hidden (same for flagging for sticky only with five ups as an example). This is the system Blizzard is implementing on their boards along with heavy moderation to prevent abuse only theirs is focused on highlighting posts instead of hiding them.

If the system could get implemented (along with moderating new members temporarily like mailing lists do), this can reduce a lot of needless {censored}. Wrong forum? Vote it down. Inappropriate? Vote it down. +Postcount? Vote it down. Inane {censored}? DEFINITELY vote it down! Spam? Why lock/delete when all it would take is 5 vote downs to hide it? And if you don't think we'll refuse to vote something down, you've got another thing coming.

Could this lead to abuses? Yes, but that's why we have moderators. Said mods won't have an up/down vote, but are able to overrule if the system does get abused. This way if the community decides to single out certain users for harassment (not mentioning any names Mac|Life forums) there's someone in charge that can rescind it.

On top of that, the moderators can always take away a member's vote privilege away. It would be in a database of members vs. voting members, for example. Getting kicked out of the voting members group takes away your voting privilege.

In discussing this idea, PLEASE REMEMBER that the number 5 is not set in stone. Don't get caught up in that detail.

The moderator in question is local for the portuguese forum (like myself), so he isn't able to move topics in the main forum. He should have reported the topic, it's what I do when I find a topic in the wrong section, and I think every conscious member should do the same.

I just feel the forum is very cluttered with idiots who refuse to help themselves and read and learn as most of us have had to do. :(

He should have reported the topic, it's what I do when I find a topic in the wrong section, and I think every conscious member should do the same.

I was wrong for not having used the Report

The topic was opened in Post-Installation Discussion

that has a relationship with audio, video, ethernet... :D

Peace