Snow Leopard on a Gateway NV53

elalan5

173 posts in this topic

Hello!! I'd been searching for a tutorial everywhere for the Gateway NV53. I couldn't find anything, so i decided to test out myself. Finally,a week ago I found a way to install Snow Leo retail.

Just updated Empire EFi because it was corrupted!!!, uploaded a working,compatible version.

Update #2 just realized,if u want to have a battery icon,install snow leopard wrunning on pure battery power,dont have your charger connected.

Update #3 Don't update to 10.6.4, there are no AMD kernel for this, so don't do it!!

Update #4 For the people who have dmgs, instead of img or iso, use Dmg2img found HERE to to convert your dmg to a burnable format.

Update #5 Changed the path files for the mbr patch, because they were a little bit confusing.

Specs:

Gateway NV53

AMD Athlon II X2 M300

ATI Radeon 4200 HD

4 GB RAM

500 GB HDD

Conexant HD Audio

1xHDMI Port

1xVGA Port

1xMedia Card Reader

4xUSB Ports

1xEthernet Port

1xLAN Port

DVD-Super Multi DL drive

Instructions

Download Empire EFI 4 AMD HERE

Get a copy of Snow Leopard 10.6

Download dong's framebuffer HERE

Download Azalia Audio kext HERE

Make a seprate partition for Mac OSX using Windows. There are many guides on doing this so I won't elaborate.

"If you dual boot with Windows and OSX , chances are you’ll be still using MBR – unless you have done retail installation . In order for you to install or upgrade on MBR disks. You’ll have to edit a couple of things. I’ve zipped up the required patched materials here (I believe its made by Kabyl , modbin and the crew of ToH). Download it and place OSInstall.mpkg in System/Installation/Packages folder. Not quite there yet – rocket pants. We’ll still have to patch another file. If you’ve done retail installation before (that is with Leopard) , you’ll just have to patch this. However with Snow Leopard , apple has included another check. Now , copy OSInstall to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/ ).

To install with a DVD,u cannot Dual-Boot with Wndows 7 without erasing all your files,so if u only want to have Snow Leopard, Just continue on Step #1

USB GUIDE!!

If u want to Dual-boot Windows 7 without erasing your data, u will have to make a Snow LEo USB,this is fairly easy...if u have a retail dvd, make an img of it using imgburn.

After that save the img on your win 7 partition.

Boot up the retail dvd and go to disk utility.

Go to the restore tab and it will ask you for the .img you want to restore.

After you have selected it, select the usb partition u want snow leo dvd to be restored to.

shut down once its done.

Now in windows, follow the steps above on how to patch for mbr scheme.

Just boot with Empire Efi again and this time select your new Snnow Leo USB, and the installation should be like if u were using the dvd.

Follow the rest of the steps below after the installation.

1.Burn Empire EFI 4 AMD to a cd

2.Once you burn Empire EFI, reboot laptop and boot from the Empire EFI

3.Once loaded, it should look something like this

empire-efi.JPG

3.Eject the Empire EFI cd, and insert your Snow Leopard DVD and press F5

4.Snow Leopard DVD should boot.

6.Go to Disk Utility once the DVD is booted and select your Mac Partiton and select the Erase tab. Erase the partition with Mac OS Extended (Journaled)mac-disk-utility.gif

!Warning! Erasing a partiton erases all your data (obiously!!)

7. Unplug your laptop from the charger(this will fix the missing battery icon once u have finished the installation!!)Close the Disk Utility window, and continue the installation

8.Select your Mac Partition and click Install(optional: when you're asked to select your partition, there's a button on the bottom-left(Customize) click it if you want to unselct the printer kexts and the extra languages.)

9.Let the installation finish, and at the end it should show something like this...0-waPjVotQ-maccc-s-.png

But your's should say " Cannot startup from this disk", don't worry, the installation went completely fine,its just that the installation doesn't have an AMD kernel to startup the installation.

9.Restart your computer after the error and boot from the Empire EFI disk again.

10.This time, the Empire EFI disk should show your Mac partition on the menuempire-efi.jpg

An Apple logo should show up now.

11.Selct the Apple logo, and your Snow Leo Installation should show up.

12.Put your information and everythingelse and TADAA!! Snow Leopard is in your NV53.

Optional: If you want to have full resolution and working sound, and

if you would like to have Chameleon, and boot Snow Leo without Empire EFI continue with the next steps.

*13. Download modbin's kernel from HERE

*14 Drag-n-Drop the file to the root of your Snow Leo HDD and click replace.

*17.Before we reset, we have to install Chameleon/Empire EFi/myhack. Insert your Empire EFI cd, and navigate to the Extra Folder. Go to Post-Installation folder, and run Chameleon r2 rc3 from that folder. Run and wait for it to install.

*18 NOW you can restart!

*19. Now you should see Chameleon/Empire EFI boot loader. If you have a Windows partition, you should be able to boot it again.

*20.Boot your Snow Leo and find dong's framebuffer and Azalia kext we downloaded earlier.

*21.The Azalia kext should install like Chameleon, just install it.

*22.dong's framebuffer has to be done manually. Download KEXT Utility from HERE

*23.Open Finder and find your System Folder,then open Library from insude the System Folder, then Extension from inside the Library folder.

*24.Find the RadeonHD.kext in the Extensions folder, and delete it. Now get dong's zip and get the RadeonHD.kext from inside the zip, and copy it into the Extensions Folder.

*25.Now run Kext Utility and it will repair the kext permissions. Now reboot and you should have full res and audio.

*26.Ok there are some problems with the two things we just installed. Audio MAY sound choppy and really annoying, to fix it, open Photobooth and don't minimize it ( I don't know why it fixes sound, but it does!!). Resoultion has a slight problem,too!!. Your pointer,or mouse is probably a cube with weird graphics..don't worry we can fix it!!

*27.Run Terminal and copy this into it: sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/RadeonHD.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Find

<key>enableHWCursor</key>

<true/>

and change it to

<key>enableHWCursor</key>

<false/>

Then run kext utility again to repair the permissions and reboot. You h=should have full res video, and good audio quality with Photo Booth.

Congratulations!!

You now have Snow Leo [retail] on your Gateway NV53!!!!!

Thanks to IM_3LITE,jasonf,and jemisec1,and mspcs for being my "beta" testers for this guide...specially IM_3LITE since he asked the most questions, thanks to jemisec for his contribution with the Empire EFI post-installation part, and jasonf for his suggestions and feedback,and but not least,mspcs for reminding me to put dmg2img for the people who that have Snow Leo dmgs.

• Like 1

hey man thanks alot for the tutorial, i havent tried it yet but i am hoping too, i was wondering, i have an NV53

AMD Athlon || X2 M300

320GB HDD

3GB Memory

DVD-Super Multi DL drive

AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200

and was wondering, my specs arent far off from yours, if i do this tutorial the same exact way you did, i would be able to boot Mac OS? and would i be able to still boot windows 7?

thanks, kinda new at this

*EDIT*

OH yeah, and reading through it, im willing to go buy a 40$ snow leopard disc:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/mac...0a579b4b3e7en02

it says upgrade, is that ok? or will i need another disc....

anywheys you got me confused when you got to step #5, you said i need to make an ISO of the disc, then add the files, ok i get that, but then what do i do, do i burn another disc, or do i ..... i have no idea

hiya, I'm trying this and following steps, but I constantly recieve a kernal panic on every attempt. Any suggestions?

edit: well I've actually made progress, I've gotten it to the install portion, but it immediately states I can't install.

now it's not seeing the right partition.

please also i have questions too, if i have the DVD in step#5 you say to make an ISO, do i burn that ISO to a new Disc or what? I hav no clue?

you will be able to do it..don't worry the only variation is the ram and the HDD, that doesn't affect anything.ok....this step is kind of hard....you need to make an iso out of the snow leopard dvd(upgrade is ok,,i m not sure...lok around the internet to see what they say)...then use any type of iso utility(Winrar,power iso, magic iso, etc...) to put the files on the SLeoInstall.zip and when ur done just burn the iso with imgburn, or any iso burner.

Im trying to give you freeware so u dont have to buy anything else, but im not sure if winrar is any good at modifing.

Also..u can install snow leopard through a usb flashdrive, that would be easier han modifying the iso.

If you want to install it through a usb tell me plz, so i can add it to the tutorial.

Yeah i know its kind of hard... that step is only if u want to dual boot with Windows 7

well jasonf... can u tell me if u applied the mbr patch to the disc/iso?

you will be able to do it..don't worry the only variation is the ram and the HDD, that doesn't affect anything.ok....this step is kind of hard....you need to make an iso out of the snow leopard dvd(upgrade is ok,,i m not sure...lok around the internet to see what they say)...then use any type of iso utility(Winrar,power iso, magic iso, etc...) to put the files on the SLeoInstall.zip and when ur done just burn the iso with imgburn, or any iso burner.

Im trying to give you freeware so u dont have to buy anything else, but im not sure if winrar is any good at modifing.

Also..u can install snow leopard through a usb flashdrive, that would be easier han modifying the iso.

If you want to install it through a usb tell me plz, so i can add it to the tutorial.

Yeah i know its kind of hard... that step is only if u want to dual boot with Windows 7

Yes I placed it just were you suggested. I think it's an issue on my end where I messed up the mbr. I previously had a dualboot of ubuntu, and somehow that space disappeared. Since the windows install was pretty much empty, I'm going to try to use the full disk and play with it

I also used a different version of the efi and that helped move me further

Yes I placed it just were you suggested. I think it's an issue on my end where I messed up the mbr. I previously had a dualboot of ubuntu, and somehow that space disappeared. Since the windows install was pretty much empty, I'm going to try to use the full disk and play with it

I also used a different version of the efi and that helped move me further

ok tellme if u succeed

Ok man your being a great help, the only reason im concerned about the ISo thing id because i only have 4.7gb Discs and ill be {censored} outa luck for burning a 8GB disc, so i dont know if ill be able to burn the disc again, is there a way i can burn it onto 2 discs or will it just fit onto one, also if i do do the USB way I wont be able to Dual Boot? because my laptop didnt come with a disc so i dont want to uninstall it, and i still wanna have it there. adding the USB tut would be great :(

hey man reading over it for the third time, i was wondering if i make the partition through win7 annd i go into the Snow Leo install, and i get to step#6 ..(stupid question).. if i erase it i just erases the partition right...its probbly true just making sure thou

sorry im being soooo nooby, its just its my baby and i dont want to hurt it, i just wanna find out all the information possible before im {censored} outa luck and with no operating system, YOUR a BIG HELP, thanks

Ok man your being a great help, the only reason im concerned about the ISo thing id because i only have 4.7gb Discs and ill be {censored} outa luck for burning a 8GB disc, so i dont know if ill be able to burn the disc again, is there a way i can burn it onto 2 discs or will it just fit onto one, also if i do do the USB way I wont be able to Dual Boot? because my laptop didnt come with a disc so i dont want to uninstall it, and i still wanna have it there. adding the USB tut would be great

hey man reading over it for the third time, i was wondering if i make the partition through win7 annd i go into the Snow Leo install, and i get to step#6 ..(stupid question).. if i erase it i just erases the partition right...its probbly true just making sure thou

sorry im being soooo nooby, its just its my baby and i dont want to hurt it, i just wanna find out all the information possible before im {censored} outa luck and with no operating system, YOUR a BIG HELP, thanks

yes u can just do the partitioning in Win 7, and then just erase in the Snow Leo DVD. Ipersonally did it on dvds first, but then i started installing thorugh usb. Yes the only disadvantage to that is that you have to download Macdrive for windows to be able to put the extra files. I think this is going to be an easier way for u to do it. Let me add the USB part. With the USB way, u can dual boot by the way.

thanks jasonf for helping him out!!

yes u can just do the partitioning in Win 7, and then just erase in the Snow Leo DVD. Ipersonally did it on dvds first, but then i started installing thorugh usb. Yes the only disadvantage to that is that you have to download Macdrive for windows to be able to put the extra files. I think this is going to be an easier way for u to do it. Let me add the USB part. With the USB way, u can dual boot by the way.

thanks jasonf for helping him out!!

Still nothing. I'm a complete noob. I burned the empire efi 1085 r2, it boots with the black screen with Empire EFI logo (without darth vader), I eject the disk, put in a retail snow leopard, it loads a lot of text, then it says press any key, and it still hangs at the same screen that says

system uptime in nanoseconds: 0

Still nothing. I'm a complete noob. I burned the empire efi 1085 r2, it boots with the black screen with Empire EFI logo (without darth vader), I eject the disk, put in a retail snow leopard, it loads a lot of text, then it says press any key, and it still hangs at the same screen that says

system uptime in nanoseconds: 0

This is what the whole screen says:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x2a6ac2): Kernel trap at 0x0029421a, type 0=divide error, registers:

blah blah blah (some numbers)

Mac OS version:

Not yet set

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0: Fri Jul 31 22:47:34 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1456.1.25~1/RELEASE_I386

System uptime in nanoseconds: 0

wat version of Snow Leopard DVD are u using? is it retail? or is it something else? if u downloaded it from a The BAy where Pirates meet, then i cant be to sure which version u downloaded....

Also, what model of Gateway NV53 are u using? tell me ur specs just in case

also Jasonf, were u able to do it? or are u still stuck?

wat version of Snow Leopard DVD are u using? is it retail? or is it something else? if u downloaded it from a The BAy where Pirates meet, then i cant be to sure which version u downloaded....

Also, what model of Gateway NV53 are u using? tell me ur specs just in case

also Jasonf, were u able to do it? or are u still stuck?

I'm not sure if I'm stuck or not. My previous problem was the fact I was using at 10.6.3 disk, that booted fast, but failed. Now I'm using a 10.6 disk, and it's just not doing anything except sit at the chameleon screen. this has been for about 30 minutes.

I think I'm going to reburn the disk. It may be bad.

Chameleon?why do u have chameleon? were u able to boot once?

Chameleon?why do u have chameleon? were u able to boot once?

I'm not sure if it's chameleon. After the efi it shows a picture of the chameleon and a swirly

The disk light is flashing, but the hdd is not at all

Ok..thats weird, so u finished installing, and then that came out? Plz explain wat uve done up until now

OK, whats Macdrive, is that just to patch the ISO? im realy confused man...

in regards to the USB guide..

"save the img on your win 7 partition." is that just save it on you desktop in windows?

"Boot up the retail dvd and go to disk utility." i dont need to boot through empire efi?

"select the usb partition u want snow leo dvd to be restored to." so plug in my USB and restore it onto the USB? how big's the USB have to be?

"Now in windows, follow the steps above on how to patch for mbr scheme." So do Step#5 to what files, the ones on the USB?

"Just boot with Empire Efi again and this time select your new Snnow Leo USB," So i boot back up with Efi, then how do i select the USB, do i need the DVD anymore? or will it be on the list menu thing?

after that what step # do i continue on with?

if i burn image on dual-layered disc, would that effect it? im thinking buying one duallayered disc is cheaper than buying a new 8GB USB...

Ok..thats weird, so u finished installing, and then that came out? Plz explain wat uve done up until now

I never got to finish installing as I was using a 10.6.3 disk originally. So went back to the 10a432 disk and burned that. That one is just hanging.

I'm not sure if it's chameleon. After the efi it shows a picture of the chameleon and a swirly

The disk light is flashing, but the hdd is not at all

OK, whats Macdrive, is that just to patch the ISO? im realy confused man...

in regards to the USB guide..

"save the img on your win 7 partition." is that just save it on you desktop in windows?

"Boot up the retail dvd and go to disk utility." i dont need to boot through empire efi?

"select the usb partition u want snow leo dvd to be restored to." so plug in my USB and restore it onto the USB? how big's the USB have to be?

"Now in windows, follow the steps above on how to patch for mbr scheme." So do Step#5 to what files, the ones on the USB?

"Just boot with Empire Efi again and this time select your new Snnow Leo USB," So i boot back up with Efi, then how do i select the USB, do i need the DVD anymore? or will it be on the list menu thing?

after that what step # do i continue on with?

Ok MacDrive is so you can manage Mac OS Partitons (hfs+) in windows, if not...windows will detect the partition as unformatted. With Macdrive, u ill be able to explore the directories and put the patch files where they are supposed to go.

Yes Save the img on the desktop.

Yes, u have to boot through Empire Efi everytime u wan to use the Snow Leopard DVD

Yes plugin the USB, the usb has to be at least 8gb

You need the same files for the dvd as the usb...no difference.

After ur done with the usb and u boot from tEmpire Efi, the usb drive will come uup as "MAC OSX INSTAll" in the menu, u dont need the dvd anymore.

Continue on step #6?

Jasonf:

hanging were? i need to know everything plz!! if not i wont be able to know what is going wrong.

Ok MacDrive is so you can manage Mac OS Partitons (hfs+) in windows, if not...windows will detect the partition as unformatted. With Macdrive, u ill be able to explore the directories and put the patch files where they are supposed to go.

ok so macdrive is what ill be using to place the patch files from me desktop into the USB, is that what im understanding ill be using macdrive for?

[quote name='elalan5' date='Jul 14 2010, 11:55 PM' post='1511344'

Jasonf:

hanging were? i need to know everything plz!! if not i wont be able to know what is going wrong.

Here's the steps I took

1 I loaded the empire Efi.

2 wait for the screen that tells me to insert my install cd, insert that, wait for the drive to stop flashing and hit f5.

3 I see Mac OS X Install DVD, I hit enter on it.

4 A bunch of text shows, until it says press any key to continue.

5 Next screen is the chameleon with grey background and the mac loading swirl.

That's where I hang.

ok so macdrive is what ill be using to place the patch files from me desktop into the USB, is that what im understanding ill be using macdrive for?
yes u are correct sir!! ahahha

Ok i understand the tutorial know, no more questions(maybe)...

i have a couple more questoins thou, just general, not hard questions...

Did you use a Dual Layered Disc? (we have the same burner) what disc did you use?

Where did you get your MacOSx Snnow Leopard Disc from? (if dowloaded, where from?) is there a special version i need like: 10.6.3.4? or something...im going to buy thhese tomorrow, so im curios.

The disk I was hanging on was just a bad burn. It's loaded to installer now.

I used a dual layer disk that I burned from my mac mini. The version I used was snowleopard_10a432_userdvd that a friend of mine had. I copied it onto the mac, added the files in the tutorial and reburned.

Now I'm at the install phase :)

I'm pretty new to this, as you can tell haha. I am pretty sure you can use a disk containing up to 10.6.2, but the tutorial and the the one that worked for me was 10.6