DSDT editor and patcher

oldnapalm

1,000 posts in this topic

That makes sense. Will give that a try and see if I can some up with a working sleep/wake.

Both the M1330 and the D830 are really identical inside both 965M chipsets and basically the same Graphics controller.

But I have to assume the minor DSDT differences in the two might be the problem or not? It is NON CPU Specific DSDT, but there are other memory addresses and coding in the DSDT with minor or slight differences. Can those differences affect the way the PC acts like the Sleep/Wake issue I have?

I really don't think this is a good conclusion because there are a couple of threads out there specifically Slice's OSX Project on the D830/D630 and he supposedly has a perfect DSDT and his does not work any way near as good as the M1330 NON Specific one does.

Sleep/Wake does not work on Slice's either.

Thanks

Holy {censored}!

yours worked. i ignored (forced) the errors and it actually loaded without errors, without crashes.

i added the brightness control and it then showed up in the control panel.

I am not sure why my edit failed while yours worked.

any way to automate something like that, to basically "correct" the parsing. the errors indicated by iasl are very cryptic in my opinion.

i got the latest iasl, and i get 0 errors if i use -c option

but when compiling with -ta -f that's when it shows like 3 errors or so.

oh well, it works. maybe mine is not the latest latest, i thought it was.

Thank you soooo so much!

i can now start to patch and play around with dsdt!

EDIT: actually i am using version 20100331 (Apr 1 2010)

Hi Kellis and others,

Excellent. I have the HP dv8t-1200 and the configuration is identical to yours. I'm using Mammoth's Boot CD 1.10 and it comes with a dsdt.aml specfically for dv8t notebooks. I'm running into the following issues:

I think Mammoth is feverishly working on these issues but thought I can ask you or anybody here while he's working on it.

a. Brightness control is not visible at all in the Display preferences. I added Device(PNLF) just above Device(PWRB) and was able to display the Brightness slider but the slider has no effect and it moves to the end when I try to drag it.

b. Power Management (Fan seems to be constantly running, slightly higher on the warm side).

c. Audio - tried VoodooHDA.kext and it gave me KP.

d. SD Card reader

e. Fn keys

I'm a absolute n00b on DSDT and my first question is "Can dv7t or dv8t boot without a dsdt.aml at all". If I remove the dsdt.aml from the Chameleon partition that the Mammoth Boot CD needs, can SL 10.6.4 boot without any issues? I read somewhere that if I remove or mess with dsdt.aml, then chances are my notebook might fry and not be usable at all. Is this true? I'm really scared on this.

Where do I begin? Do I need to first generate a fresh and original dsdt.aml/dsl file out of the Insyde BIOS? I have F.24 version of the BIOS. Is sleep, Energy saving settings work without a kernel panic?

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks.

a. Brightness control is not visible at all in the Display preferences. I added Device(PNLF) just above Device(PWRB) and was able to display the Brightness slider but the slider has no effect and it moves to the end when I try to drag it.

I heard that only some notebook with GMA950 GPU can get this to work. On most notebook, it doesn't work.

b. Power Management (Fan seems to be constantly running, slightly higher on the warm side).

You can modify it in DSDT, if there is FAN control in DSDT. Please refer to this blog to to understand a little bit about the idea.

d. SD Card reader

I don't think it will work in Mac OS X unless it is connected internally via USB.

e. Fn keys

It is not easy to get this to work unless you have very "friendly" DSDT. There are discussions about this (here & on another forum) which you can refer to, to get it working.

I'm a absolute n00b on DSDT and my first question is "Can dv7t or dv8t boot without a dsdt.aml at all". If I remove the dsdt.aml from the Chameleon partition that the Mammoth Boot CD needs, can SL 10.6.4 boot without any issues? I read somewhere that if I remove or mess with dsdt.aml, then chances are my notebook might fry and not be usable at all. Is this true? I'm really scared on this.

Worst case scenario, you will need to specify CPUS=1 when booting without dsdt.aml. Using dsdt.aml will not fry your notebook though. However, when you said "fry", if you intentionally turned OFF the FAN or change the CPU behavior in DSDT, which are very very unlikely, you can fry the CPU or/and motherboard. Still, this is safe.

Where do I begin? Do I need to first generate a fresh and original dsdt.aml/dsl file out of the Insyde BIOS? I have F.24 version of the BIOS. Is sleep, Energy saving settings work without a kernel panic?

Yes, you need to get fresh copy of dsdt.aml file from BIOS. Firstly, please start with fassl's DSDT Patcher to apply basic fix to your dsdt. Then you can use DSDT editor available here to put extra fix to it. You need to try it first, or you wouldn't know whether sleep is working or not.

Off topic: Where is Mammoth? Have he opened new thread yet? ;)

Hi Kellis and others,

Excellent. I have the HP dv8t-1200 and the configuration is identical to yours. I'm using Mammoth's Boot CD 1.10 and it comes with a dsdt.aml specfically for dv8t notebooks. I'm running into the following issues:

I think Mammoth is feverishly working on these issues but thought I can ask you or anybody here while he's working on it.

c. Audio - tried VoodooHDA.kext and it gave me KP.

d. SD Card reader

e. Fn keys

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks.

a) same here but with an nvidia chip.

;) fan works fine here on my dv7 3180us. even without any dsdt.aml

c) audio works, i got the latest voodoo's kexts. (even the mic works)

d) sd card works! I had to add some kexts for it, (look at kexts.com, for some jmicron one)

e) the FN keys do work, but they are all messed up, (the assignement), for example, instead of FN 6 for brightness, it will be set in FN HOME, or something, FN 4 makes it go to sleep, so the FN do work, but only a few of them and mis-assigned.

f) the only reason you'd fry your machine with the dsdt is that you tell it to do something not so good, voltage for example, or FAN control, it would overheat. but i feel it would have to be extreme and on purpose.

Know that if you have a DSDT.aml that fails, just reboot with chameleon flag DSDT=none

no problem, it will ignore your DSDT.aml, no need to delete it from the file system.

As far as the cpus=1 etc, the only way you gonna get all the cores working fine, you HAVE to use the legacy_kernel.

The best for our machine is to get it to install with crappy settings (low memory removed from the machine), then boot with cpus=1 busratio=12 etc. (not good, but good enough to install). then install snow leopard 10.6.4 and install legacy_kernel, a lot of things will then work.

Also, use 32 bit.

With the legacy_kernel, (see on kexts.com) all the cores will work and no KP.

Also, for your voodoo audio, if it crashes when you 1st install it, try to reboot again, sometimes it crashes if i install a new kexts, but rebooting again a few times fixes it (something to do with caches?).

Hope that helps.

Patch packages:

Aspire_3690.txt Acer Aspire 3690

Aspire_5920.txt Acer Aspire 5920

ASUS_P5E.txt All patches used in ASUS P5E (also tested on P5E Deluxe, P5K Premium and Maximus Formula)

Dell_M1330.txt Dell M1330 (intel video)

SpeedStep: check this post.

Single patches:

AD1988B_HDEF.txt Add device HDEF under PCI0 (for AD1988B)

AHCI_SATA_orange_icon.txt Change ID of SATA device to fake ESB2 AHCI (silver icons for internal HDs instead of orange ones)

ALC883.txt Insert method _DSM into device with _ADR 0x001B0000

ALC888.txt Insert method _DSM into device with _ADR 0x001B0000

ALC889A.txt Rename device AZAL to HDEF and insert method _DSM into it

ASUS_SpeedStep__CST.txt Add C-states from MacPro3,1 to CPUs

DTGP.txt Add method DTGP to the main block, it's used by other patches

GMA950_desktop.txt Insert device PEGP into device with _HID PNP0A03

GMA950_laptop.txt Insert method _DSM into device with _ADR 0x00020000

HPET_IRQs.txt Remove IRQ from device PIC and move IRQs from devices RTC0 and TMR to device HPET

ICH9_USB_sleep.txt Change ID of USB devices to fake ICH10-R (sleep fix for ICH9)

RTC.txt Change the length of IO segment in device RTC to 0x02 (fix CMOS reset)

Shutdown.txt Change method _PTS to do nothing if Arg0 is 0x05 (shutdown)

a) same here but with an nvidia chip.

:thumbsup_anim: fan works fine here on my dv7 3180us. even without any dsdt.aml

c) audio works, i got the latest voodoo's kexts. (even the mic works)

d) sd card works! I had to add some kexts for it, (look at kexts.com, for some jmicron one)

e) the FN keys do work, but they are all messed up, (the assignement), for example, instead of FN 6 for brightness, it will be set in FN HOME, or something, FN 4 makes it go to sleep, so the FN do work, but only a few of them and mis-assigned.

f) the only reason you'd fry your machine with the dsdt is that you tell it to do something not so good, voltage for example, or FAN control, it would overheat. but i feel it would have to be extreme and on purpose.

Know that if you have a DSDT.aml that fails, just reboot with chameleon flag DSDT=none

no problem, it will ignore your DSDT.aml, no need to delete it from the file system.

As far as the cpus=1 etc, the only way you gonna get all the cores working fine, you HAVE to use the legacy_kernel.

The best for our machine is to get it to install with crappy settings (low memory removed from the machine), then boot with cpus=1 busratio=12 etc. (not good, but good enough to install). then install snow leopard 10.6.4 and install legacy_kernel, a lot of things will then work.

Also, use 32 bit.

With the legacy_kernel, (see on kexts.com) all the cores will work and no KP.

Also, for your voodoo audio, if it crashes when you 1st install it, try to reboot again, sometimes it crashes if i install a new kexts, but rebooting again a few times fixes it (something to do with caches?).

Hope that helps.

Hi Kizwan/Kellis,

Thanks for your excellent feedback.

Kellis:

You have mentioned fan works fine. What does that mean? I have a feeling that on my notebook, the fan rans continously even when the system is idle. What I wanted to know from you is is the fan not running at all when you don't perform CPU intensive tasks? As per Mammoth's instructions, I have set the Fan to disbled in BIOS. Is it going to affect anything?

For audio, can you upload here the latest voodoo kexts or point me to the download link? Same with sd card kext.

It is amazing to know that the Fn keys are working except those are assigned to the wrong keys. So, when you press Fn+HOME does the brightness work? I'm eager to know that. How did you make it work? Are you using any custom kexts or modified the dsdt.aml using the excellent "el coniglio" DSDT auto patcher? Btw, how difficult is to re-assign to the correct Fn keys?

Is the subwoofer working (found on the bottom of the notebook)?

I'm not passing anything when booting from the Chameleon partition. I think those are automatically taken care by Mammoth's Boot CD 1.10.

Btw, did you try to run GeekBench? I'm getting 4573 with 4GB RAM. Probably, if we use the vanilla kernel, we can get more.

As you had mentioned, I wanted to try to boot without any dsdt.aml to see what I'm getting. But, to do this, do I re-enable the fan in the BIOS setting?

Thanks.

Hi Kizwan/Kellis,

Thanks for your excellent feedback.

Kellis:

You have mentioned fan works fine. What does that mean? I have a feeling that on my notebook, the fan rans continously even when the system is idle. What I wanted to know from you is is the fan not running at all when you don't perform CPU intensive tasks? As per Mammoth's instructions, I have set the Fan to disbled in BIOS. Is it going to affect anything?

For audio, can you upload here the latest voodoo kexts or point me to the download link? Same with sd card kext.

It is amazing to know that the Fn keys are working except those are assigned to the wrong keys. So, when you press Fn+HOME does the brightness work? I'm eager to know that. How did you make it work? Are you using any custom kexts or modified the dsdt.aml using the excellent "el coniglio" DSDT auto patcher? Btw, how difficult is to re-assign to the correct Fn keys?

Is the subwoofer working (found on the bottom of the notebook)?

I'm not passing anything when booting from the Chameleon partition. I think those are automatically taken care by Mammoth's Boot CD 1.10.

Btw, did you try to run GeekBench? I'm getting 4573 with 4GB RAM. Probably, if we use the vanilla kernel, we can get more.

As you had mentioned, I wanted to try to boot without any dsdt.aml to see what I'm getting. But, to do this, do I re-enable the fan in the BIOS setting?

Thanks.

I am not 100% sure about the fan,. mine is enabled in the BIOS.

when i perform intensive task, i dont notice a difference. I will check, listen for the noise etc.

All the kexts can be found on kexts.com I am at work now, don't know which i have and i am afraid maybe your laptop might require different ones anyway. i have the dv7 3180us.

as far as the FN keys, the HUD shows up, but don't do anything, because the MAX and MIN values for the BCL are set to 0. so that won't work until we find a way to fix that. Most likely from a Kext and not from the dsdt. But i am not 100% sure.

One thing that's weird. the APP0002 worked on this laptop, but on my Acer notebook, the dsdt does NOT have that value for the backlight, it points to a battery type of device, yet it works fine, from the FN keys. that really confuses me.

I do not know yet how to re-assign the FN keys from the dsdt, i have been trying to read as many documents as possible, but to no avail yet.

The sub looks to be working, but i believe the left speaker is working weirdly. the PAN button is not working correctly. but from logic studio it seems to work fine.

I believe the sub is hardwired to the speakers, that is, if you have sound, the sub will work. That's only my theory. The bass is better than my other laptop, for sure.

I ran geekbench with the 6gigs, the max i got was 4800 something.

which is pretty much identical to geekbench when booting in windows. so i am happy knowing that things are running full speed.

I would always have the fan running, HOT + CPU = bad / unstable.

the noise (if there's any) is not bothering me at all. i'll check though later tonight to assess the FAN situation though.

as far as the FN keys, the HUD shows up, but don't do anything, because the MAX and MIN values for the BCL are set to 0. so that won't work until we find a way to fix that. Most likely from a Kext and not from the dsdt. But i am not 100% sure.

You can check the BCL code in the DSDT, whether it exist or not. If it doesn't, this means display brightness is not controlled by DSDT, at least not in standard way. It maybe controlled by AMW0 device instead.

I ran geekbench with the 6gigs, the max i got was 4800 something.

dv7-3180us come with Intel Core i7 720QM right? If it is, with this score it shows your CPU running slow (max 1.6GHz). You should get 5XXX. Even if your CPU score 5XXX, the CPU doesn't running in full throttle but at least turbo boost is working.

There's just one file there.

It does not have the RTC fix (IO length is 0x08).

Hi oldnapalm,

I have a HP dv8t-1200 notebook and I'm using Mammoth Boot CD 1.10 which comes with a dsdt.aml file. Couple of folks are also having the following top 5 issues. The same issues are also there for few people who own dv7t-3180 models.

1. Brightness control.

2. Audio w/o using Voodoo kext.

3. Efficient Fan/Temperature management.

4. Fn Key mapping

5. Media controls

Also, some of the information shown on the About Mac and other places are incorrect which I think might be a easy fix. I have attached dsdt.aml (comes with the Mammoth Boot CD 1.10 - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=221653) and also com.apple.Boot.plist and smbios.plist.

For the Brightness issue, I manually did the following:

Device (PNLF)

{

Name (_HID, EisaId ("APP0002"))

Name (_CID, "backlight")

Name (_UID, 0x0A)

Name (_STA, 0x0B)

}

I used DSDTE to edit the dsdt.aml by placing the above mentioned method just above Device (PWRB) as suggested here: http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-os-x-d...g-audio-19.html. I then compiled and it compiled with no errors or warnings and rebooted keeping my fingers crossed and it actually worked.

The Display preferences is able to show the Brightness slider. But, it is always set at maximum and there is no effect in sliding it and also even if I move the slider left or right, it moves to the maximum immediately. So, definitely, I'm missing something.

I would appreciate your help in patching the dsdt.aml to resolve the issues mentioned above.

Btw, kizwan:

Thankd for your replies too and here is the Mammoth's thread on HP dv8t: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=221653

Thanks to all.

dsdt.aml.txt

com.apple.Boot.plist.txt

smbios.plist.txt

There's just one file there.

It does not have the RTC fix (IO length is 0x08).

There should have been two files on there but i'll try and use the patches from your distro to re make the DSDT to mac format.

The IO Length with 0x08 might of been the none modded one. But thanks for your help.

If i need help will you be of assistance as this will be for the Mac Community in a shape of a boot-132 cd for lenovo G550 users.

Seems the Windows version the latest one is not working the .jar file will not execute at all? anyone else have the same issue.

Yes there is an issue, it comes with an error when trying to unserialize the editorpane object (trying to cast something to AquaCaret). I removed the serialization of the component so it should not happen. I'll attach the updated jar and mail oldnapalm so he can update the download pack.

DSDTParser.jar.zip

I am getting an error when I try to compile this DSDT. Its SLice's DSDT with some minor mods I have added the AGP device script copied from the linux extracted DSDT and some stuff script from the M1330 AGP since that is the same Graphics card. I also added the clamshell and sleep fix to the AGP VID section.

Its after this mod I get an compilation error 4096 in DSDTSE and another error in DSDT editor.

I zipped the DSDT_Slice_modified DSL file and a Linux Extracted unmodified AML file for reference.

DSDT_DSL_AML.zip

Using the editor you would be less likely to make that mistake, using the node edit function.

We can make an automated patch pack for this laptop, so it will be easy for other users to patch their DSDT.

Using the editor you would be less likely to make that mistake, using the node edit function.

We can make an automated patch pack for this laptop, so it will be easy for other users to patch their DSDT.

That would be fantastic.

Another compilation error and I cannot at all figure this one out.

The fix comes from this link in the middle of the first post the OPTIONAL IDE FIX.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190780

I am getting these two errors:

Users/osxfr33k/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl 4383: Field (PCFG, DWordAcc, NoLock, Preserve)

Error 4064 - Object does not exist ^ (PCFG)

/Users/osxfr33k/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl 4651: Field (PCFG, DWordAcc, NoLock, Preserve)

Error 4064 - Object does not exist ^ (PCFG)

Here is my near complete DSDT.dsl

DSDT_SLICE_FIXING_AGP_AND_SLEEP.dsl.zip

Hi oldnapalm,

Would you be able to help me out on the dv8t-1200? I

posted a dsdt.aml that is present in the Mammoth boot

cd 1.10 that I'm using.

I have the following issues:

Brightness slider not showing up at all. I added

Device(PNLF) and the slider shows up but has no effect.

Fan silently humming all the time.

Chipset model says Unknown although i'm seeing

1gb video ram.

Fn keys not mapped.

I was told for audio, I need to add device(HDEF) to

dsdt.aml. I don't know how to add the entry.

Does the DSDT auto patcher comes with readymade

device patches?

Thanks for all your help.

@oSxFr33k:

DSDTSE has this strange bug, if you paste code that contains a comment (//), save and compile, all code AFTER the comment and sometimes the next line in the original code are ignored by the compiler, causing errors. If you paste exactly the same code using other editor, it compiles fine.

DSDT_SLICE_FIXING_AGP_AND_SLEEP.dsl.zip

@Mac Man 50:

it's hard to help as I don't have this laptop or any other with similar issues, but El Coniglio has one with the fan issue (it stays always at full speed and after sleep/wake it never turns on again) and we are trying to fix it in DSDT. If we find a fix, maybe it can be applied to your case too.

Have you tried these kexts?

http://prasys.co.cc/2010/01/legacy-appleac...leacpiec-kexts/

I have included some audio patches with the editor (HDEF, AZAL to HDEF and some codec specific), take a look at the patches folder.