Mac OS X guest unlocker for VMware

462 posts in this topic

I just tried to install SL using the new 10.6.3 DVD and yes, you the dreaded "A virtual CPU has entered the shutdown state..." from VMware. This isn't a question of patching to 10.6.4 before rebooting, it won't even install.

You need the 10.6 Retail DVD (10a432) to install on VMware. If you have 10.6, install that and do a Software Update and all works fine. But you cannot currently install from the 10.6.3 Retail DVD. These are my results on a Core i7 processor on a ThinkPad T510.

Indeed, 10.6.3 and Intel Core i3, 5 and 7 processors are not supported, in fact Apple shot themselves in the foot, as Mini Mac's and iMac's with Core i processors needed an updated version of 10.6.3 to work pending the arrival of 10.6.4. So as stated stay with a pre 10.6.3 DVD or wait until Apple release a 10.6.4 DVD.

I had SL running fine on my Core i7 laptop, until I upgraded to 10.6.3 then "A virtual CPU has entered the shutdown state..." I re-installed and stayed at 10.6.2 until 10.6.4 came out and all works fine, fortunately I had a 10.6.0 DVD to do the re-install.

This is the Vmware Build I have installed with the unlocker

7.1.1 build-282343

I have the retail dvd, i ordered it from apple store they sent the 10.6.3. royally sucks if its tied to that specific version. Its probably my processor, even though they are supported from vwmare.

thanks again!

Indeed, VMware cannot compensate for restrictions within the guestOS, and 10.6.3 does not support Intel Core i3, 5 or 7 and from your experience Xeon 5600 processors either. I can only suggest using a non vanilla kernel, or trying to get hold of an early OS X DVD, i.e. 10.6.0. Sometimes life sucks!

Indeed, 10.6.3 and Intel Core i3, 5 and 7 processors are not supported, in fact Apple shot themselves in the foot, as Mini Mac's and iMac's with Core i processors needed an updated version of 10.6.3 to work pending the arrival of 10.6.4. So as stated stay with a pre 10.6.3 DVD or wait until Apple release a 10.6.4 DVD.

I had SL running fine on my Core i7 laptop, until I upgraded to 10.6.3 then "A virtual CPU has entered the shutdown state..." I re-installed and stayed at 10.6.2 until 10.6.4 came out and all works fine, fortunately I had a 10.6.0 DVD to do the re-install.

Indeed, VMware cannot compensate for restrictions within the guestOS, and 10.6.3 does not support Intel Core i3, 5 or 7 and from your experience Xeon 5600 processors either. I can only suggest using a non vanilla kernel, or trying to get hold of an early OS X DVD, i.e. 10.6.0. Sometimes life sucks!

What may be possible is to use the older darwin.iso mode to get installed using legacy kernel, do the 10.6.4 update and then swap back to the EFI BIOS method. MSOK can you help out here as bit swamped at work.

What may be possible is to use the older darwin.iso mode to get installed using legacy kernel, do the 10.6.4 update and then swap back to the EFI BIOS method. MSOK can you help out here as bit swamped at work.

Do my best, do you mean using the 310 darwin iso or older, i.e. b2 or b6 and is the EFI BIOS the "Unlocker" method?

Do my best, do you mean using the 310 darwin iso or older, i.e. b2 or b6 and is the EFI BIOS the "Unlocker" method?

Actually I have another idea which may be quicker. I'll test it out over lunch and get back if happy with it.

Dave

I just tried to install SL using the new 10.6.3 DVD and yes, you the dreaded "A virtual CPU has entered the shutdown state..." from VMware. This isn't a question of patching to 10.6.4 before rebooting, it won't even install.

You need the 10.6 Retail DVD (10a432) to install on VMware. If you have 10.6, install that and do a Software Update and all works fine. But you cannot currently install from the 10.6.3 Retail DVD. These are my results on a Core i7 processor on a ThinkPad T510.

Can you attach to the post (not add inline) the following:

1. vmware.log file

2. vmx file

3. screenshot of the guest when it halts the CPU.

Actually I have another idea which may be quicker. I'll test it out over lunch and get back if happy with it.

Dave

Won't work as cannot boot darwin.iso from EFI BIOS. Waiting on some more details from pjg61. Maybe CPUID masks could help.

Won't work as cannot boot darwin.iso from EFI BIOS. Waiting on some more details from pjg61. Maybe CPUID masks could help.

Dave, should we be able to add a cpuid line in the vmx file which will mask the issues with either Core i or Xeon 5600 processors. Surtur maybe able to help by running CPUID image to give us the details, I will run on my Xeon 5520 and compare output, as I am pretty sure the Xeon 5520 ran 10.6.3 fine, but I will confirm, then we should be able to create a CPUID mask. Do you think this is an option or am I misunderstanding CPUID.

MSoK.

Dave, should we be able to add a cpuid line in the vmx file which will mask the issues with either Core i or Xeon 5600 processors. Surtur maybe able to help by running CPUID image to give us the details, I will run on my Xeon 5520 and compare output, as I am pretty sure the Xeon 5520 ran 10.6.3 fine, but I will confirm, then we should be able to create a CPUID mask. Do you think this is an option or am I misunderstanding CPUID.

MSoK.

Spot on!

Spot on!

Workstation

Reporting CPUID for 12 logical CPUs...

All CPUs are identical

Family: 0f Model: 06 Stepping: 2

ID1ECX ID1EDX ID81ECX ID81EDX

0x029ee3ff 0xbfebfbff 0x00000001 0x2c100000

Vendor : Intel

Brand String : " Intel® Xeon™ CPU 5650@ 2.67GHz"

SSE Support : SSE1, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2

Supports NX / XD : Yes

Supports CMPXCHG16B : Yes

Supports RDTSCP: Yes

Supports Hyperthreading : Yes

Supports 64-bit Longmode : Yes

Supports 64-bit VMware : Yes

EVC: None

the hexs are the same for my server just the cpu is different 2.4 and its 5620

thank you guys

Workstation

Reporting CPUID for 12 logical CPUs...

All CPUs are identical

Family: 0f Model: 06 Stepping: 2

ID1ECX ID1EDX ID81ECX ID81EDX

0x029ee3ff 0xbfebfbff 0x00000001 0x2c100000

Vendor : Intel

Brand String : " Intel® Xeon™ CPU 5650@ 2.67GHz"

SSE Support : SSE1, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2

Supports NX / XD : Yes

Supports CMPXCHG16B : Yes

Supports RDTSCP: Yes

Supports Hyperthreading : Yes

Supports 64-bit Longmode : Yes

Supports 64-bit VMware : Yes

EVC: None

the hexs are the same for my server just the cpu is different 2.4 and its 5620

thank you guys

Surtur, Thanks for the info, I will need to do some testing, will keep you informed of progress. If anyone else wants to chip in with results from other Intel CPU's feel free, probably restrict it to the latest Core 2 Duo's maybe the Q's and the Core i's ones with VT-x and can run Vanilla OS X.

Can you attach to the post (not add inline) the following:

1. vmware.log file

2. vmx file

3. screenshot of the guest when it halts the CPU.

Here ya go... For the guest screen, there is no other info. The screen is grey with the apple logo behind the error dialog. No other EFI info or anything...

Pierre

post-661579-1284497184_thumb.jpg

Snow_Leopard_10.6.3.vmx.txt

vmware.log.txt

Hmmm...sweet, got the install to working, will post back results when the install is done, turned out there were issues with the ISOs that I was trying to run, tried a decompressed dmg, went smooth as butter this time, not done with the install yet though, but thanks to Donk and MSOK and the mister who posted the .dgm to .img idea. :)

Regards

--W

Interestingly, I just got very disappointed :) The install went fine, so kudos to all who helped :) That aside, the UI is very generic and its nothing that an install of ubuntu doesnt get me, so not sure whether making the jump was really worth it or not. Hope it doesn't incite any flames since this is primarily an apple forum, just pitshing in my two cents. :)

--W

VMware have hot discount deals on Workstation and Fusion today, 17 Sept 2010

Thanks Albert, your script worked beautifully. I ran it against Fusion 3.1, dropped in my retail OSX 10.6 disk and it booted and installed happilly. I ran the OSX 10.6.4 updater, and the vm machine has been booting and working great ever since.

I copied the vm over to Win 7, and have been using it with VMware player a couple of weeks. Your script didn't fix VM player by itself, but I downloaded VMware Workstation trial, and your script fixed VM Workstation and Player at the same time. I'm guessing Player will keep working at the end of the 30 day Workstation trial.

Anyway, seeing as VMware have hot discount deals on Workstation and Fusion till midnight today, 17 Sept 2010, I upgraded my Workstation 6.5 to 7.1 for $69 USD, and won't need to find out, lol.

http://app.connect.vmware.com/e/es.aspx?s=...;OPENID=Browser

I have seen Zenith432 has posted a new version of "guestd_patches.pkg" for the darwin iso from VMware Fusion 3.1.1 for OS X, see link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1550548

The file can be found here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/files/

I have taken a copy of the Fusion 3.1.1 darwin iso and made it available at the link below:

http://rapidshare.com/files/419946403/darwin311.iso.html

Please do not confuse this with Donk's 310 darwin iso which contains pre bootloaders, a legacy kernel, drivers, etc, for use as an alternative to Albert's Unlocker for VMware Workstation and Player or for use with VMware vSphere Hypervisor ESXi, the version above is purely to install the VMware Tools in to your OS X guestOS.

If you need Donk's version then it can be found at either of the links below:

http://rapidshare.com/files/419951154/vmwa...sx1064.zip.html

http://www.filedropper.com/vmware-darwin310-macosx1064

The darwin iso from Donk's download can also be used to install the VMware tools, but is currently at 3.1.0, however it has been mentioned that the tools were not updated between Fusion 3.1.0 and 3.1.1.

So I guess it depends on what you want, just offering a choice.

MSoK.

(Credit to Donk, Zenith432 and Albert)

Donk, MSoK,

Have you guys been able to figure out a CPU mask for the native 10.6.3 install using the log and files I put up?

Let me know if you need anything else.

TIA,

Pierre

Pierre,

Keep an eye on the following topic, link below, we (Donk & myself) are working on the problem and hopefully will have a solution soon.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1549902

UPDATE: We have what looks like a working CPUID Mask, need to check and confirm it does not break anything and / or reduces guest OS functionality.

We have posted a solution to the "The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system. You will need to power off or reset the virtual machine at this point." under 10.6.3 and Core i7 and Xeon E5600 series processors, link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1551966

Please post any responses regarding the solution in that topic, MSoK & Donk.

When using Donk's script for x64, I get the following error:

File F:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmwarebase.dll:

Error opening file.

The file exists, I'm running the cmd as administrator, and the security options are correct. What would this mean, vmware is still running somehow?

Edit: The VMware tray icon was still running, and for some reason the cmd file from Donk wasn't stopping the services, I had to stop them manually, then it worked.

When using Donk's script for x64, I get the following error:

File F:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmwarebase.dll:

Error opening file.

The file exists, I'm running the cmd as administrator, and the security options are correct. What would this mean, vmware is still running somehow?

Edit: The VMware tray icon was still running, and for some reason the cmd file from Donk wasn't stopping the services, I had to stop them manually, then it worked.

I guess the fact you installed Workstation on drive F: rather than the default C: but not sure why the script did not stop the services has always worked for me under a default installation.

I can also confirm it works on 7.1.2 on Windows 7 64bit, as long as you re-patch everything.

Just to say it works fine on the latest Workstation verison 7.1.2 on Windows, though it says the tools our outdated and I can't seem to find an updated copy.

I got this error after I created a virtual machine:

Mac OS X is not supported with software virtualization. To run Mac OS X you need a host on which VMware Workstation supports hardware virtualization.

I used a Mac OS X 10.4.8 iso to do this, do you think this is a result of the lower version, or could it be something else?

Idk if this is helpful but I'm running Windows 7 64-bit on a Sony Vaio F Series Laptop. I was successfully able to run the batch file and the batch file added in the Mac OS X option in the New Virtual Machine Wizard. I literally ran into no problems (except for forgetting to run the batch as Administrator at first, but that's beside the point) so I'm pointing solely to the Mac OS X 10.4.8 iso. However, I'd like to make sure with the experts here if it could be something else instead.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Edit: Oh and I am using VMware Workstation 7.1.2

I got this error after I created a virtual machine:

I used a Mac OS X 10.4.8 iso to do this, do you think this is a result of the lower version, or could it be something else?

Idk if this is helpful but I'm running Windows 7 64-bit on a Sony Vaio F Series Laptop. I was successfully able to run the batch file and the batch file added in the Mac OS X option in the New Virtual Machine Wizard. I literally ran into no problems (except for forgetting to run the batch as Administrator at first, but that's beside the point) so I'm pointing solely to the Mac OS X 10.4.8 iso. However, I'd like to make sure with the experts here if it could be something else instead.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Edit: Oh and I am using VMware Workstation 7.1.2

10.4.8 won't run it is too old and VMware did not build any support for it into the product. You need Leopard or Snow leopard for VMware. Also you must have a CPU that supports VT-x, has BIOS support and is enabled in the BIOS.

10.4.8 won't run it is too old and VMware did not build any support for it into the product. You need Leopard or Snow leopard for VMware. Also you must have a CPU that supports VT-x, has BIOS support and is enabled in the BIOS.

Also, we have seen instances of CPU's that support VT-x have the function disabled in BIOS, in particular Sony Laptops, so double check the BIOS settings.

Also, we have seen instances of CPU's that support VT-x have the function disabled in BIOS, in particular Sony Laptops, so double check the BIOS settings.

Thanks, I changed the settings in the BIOS and I also am using a Snow Leopard install that my friend had so it's all good!

Now to find out how to get the internet to work haha