Mac OS X guest unlocker for VMware

462 posts in this topic

Thanks, I changed the settings in the BIOS and I also am using a Snow Leopard install that my friend had so it's all good!

Now to find out how to get the internet to work haha

I generally find, in your Virtual Machine Settings, setting Network connection to Bridged works best, and assuming you have DHCP being delivered, should all work fine.

Thanks for this great little program! Just tested it with a trail of VMware Workstation and it's working flawlessly! I do have a question though: Would it be possible to get it to work with VMware Player as well? Thank you very much in advance :)

Thanks for this great little program! Just tested it with a trail of VMware Workstation and it's working flawlessly! I do have a question though: Would it be possible to get it to work with VMware Player as well? Thank you very much in advance :)

Yes, Should work fine with VMware Player, latest version is 3.1.2, but you will needs Donk's updated install script "windows.cmd" link below, also best to do a default install of Player.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1529856

Rename the windows.txt to windows.cmd and copy to the directory you have Albert's "Unlocker", and use instead of Albert's windows.bat.

Also don't forget you need to re-apply the "Unlocker" after any install or update to VMware Workstation or Player.

First of all, I would like to thank Albert Nietsnie, Donk, Zenith432 and all the others on this forum who have made it possible to run Mac OS X on VMware Workstation.

I had been using Donk's solution for a while and decided to upgrade my virtual Mac to Snow Leopard on VMware Workstation 7 using Albert's. I have one question:

On an up-to-date virtual Mac, running OS X Snow Leopard v10.6.4 (with all Software Updates from Apple installed) on VMware Workstation v7.1.2 (with VMware Tools from Fusion v3.1.1 and Zenith432's AppleAC97Audio driver v1.0.2 installed), what would be the advantage of installing Zenith432's

EnsoniqAudioPCI plugin v1.0.2 for the AppleAC97Audio driver

VMsvga2 driver v1.2.2 and guestd patches

VMMouse driver v1.2.1

I thank you in advance for your attention.

Regards,

@

First of all, I would like to thank Albert Nietsnie, Donk, Zenith432 and all the others on this forum who have made it possible to run Mac OS X on VMware Workstation.

I had been using Donk's solution for a while and decided to upgrade my virtual Mac to Snow Leopard on VMware Workstation 7 using Albert's. I have one question:

On an up-to-date virtual Mac, running OS X Snow Leopard v10.6.4 (with all Software Updates from Apple installed) on VMware Workstation v7.1.2 (with VMware Tools from Fusion v3.1.1 and Zenith432's AppleAC97Audio driver v1.0.2 installed), what would be the advantage of installing Zenith432's

EnsoniqAudioPCI plugin v1.0.2 for the AppleAC97Audio driver

VMsvga2 driver v1.2.2 and guestd patches

VMMouse driver v1.2.1

I thank you in advance for your attention.

Regards,

@

If you have installed Zenith432's AppleAC97 Audio driver it will have installed the EnsoniqAudioPCI plugin, otherwise audio would not be working, the installation allows you to either install both, which is what you have probably done, or just install the Ensoniq plugin, using the already existing AC97Audio driver. So NO you do not need the audio driver.

The VMsvga2 is an enhanced graphics driver, but disables autofit, but Zenith432 has provided the guestd patch, the latest to support VMware Tools 3.1.1, to make autofit work with his VMsvga2 graphics driver. So YES install the graphics driver and latest guestd patch. Please note autofit is a function of having the VMware Tools installed, and this can only be done manually by mounting the darwin iso, either Donk's 310 or MSoK's 311, so my post earlier in this topic to download and some additional information, links below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1550928

If your mouse is OK, leave alone. So NO do not install the mouse driver, if you are having mouse issues look for the PS/2 kext or VoodooPS2Controller kext, have a look at the topic link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1129556

Thanks for the program, man! I have (finally) been able to run Mac OS X 10.6.3 on my VMWare because of it!

I do have another question though (I searched and couldn't find an answer): Is it possible to update my Mac OS X 10.6.3 to 10.6.4 in VMWare? I want to start developing for the iPhone but the SDK requires that I run Mac OS X 10.6.4... I tried using the official update but after it installed and I restarted the Mac OS X it said something like "Mac OS X doesn't recognize your processor." Is there a workaround for this, or do I need to obtain a 10.6.4 iso?

Edit: Nevermind I found it out, I think: http://www.sysprobs.com/install-update-sno...4-vmware-player

Hi guys!

I'm having an issue after installing OSX 10.6 and then updating to 10.6.4, specifically that it seems to randomly crash. I don't know if this happened with just 10.6 installed as I upgraded to 10.6.4 immediately.

Another issue I'm having is that the keyboard isn't responsive 75% of the time, even during the installation process. If I keep trying, I can eventually get input working, though it's extremely spotty.

VMware 7.1.2

Core i7 processor with VT enabled.

Attached are the two errors. After they appear, VMWare is still open, but the OSX instance is closed. I verified that the directory\file it's looking for isn't there, so at least it isn't making anything up :(

Edit: I reinstalled and didn't run Software Update and everything was great. I set up everything (audio, new video driver, VMWare tools), however, as soon as I ran Software Update, it started to crash again, the same way was before.

post-76835-1286141929_thumb.png

post-76835-1286141936_thumb.png

Thanks for the program, man! I have (finally) been able to run Mac OS X 10.6.3 on my VMWare because of it!

I do have another question though (I searched and couldn't find an answer): Is it possible to update my Mac OS X 10.6.3 to 10.6.4 in VMWare? I want to start developing for the iPhone but the SDK requires that I run Mac OS X 10.6.4... I tried using the official update but after it installed and I restarted the Mac OS X it said something like "Mac OS X doesn't recognize your processor." Is there a workaround for this, or do I need to obtain a 10.6.4 iso?

Edit: Nevermind I found it out, I think: http://www.sysprobs.com/install-update-sno...4-vmware-player

I know you found an alternative solution, but it is not unusual for the Software Update process to have issues with large updates, i.e. 10.6.4, but all you need to do is go the the apple site > support > software > Mac OS X choose the OS, i.e. SL, and from the apple downloads choose the relevant update, and download the dmg file, once downloaded the update should mount fine and install under your guestOS.

Good day.

I wrote a little program which allows to create a virtual machine and run any flavor of Mac OS X

• Mac OS X
  • Mac OS X Server

inside the virtual machine, using any VMware product

• VMware Workstation for Windows
  • VMware Workstation for Linux
  • VMware Fusion for Mac OS X

on any Intel-based physical machine

• PC
  • Mac

I hope you will enjoy it. For details, please read the file README.txt. Give me your feedback about it in this forum.

Great work! Thank you so much for your sharing! I can now install the Mac OS X without worrying about the EFI thingy. ^^

I've been beating my head trying to create an ISO image of my retail 10.6.3 DVD.

1) Under Windows 7, Magic ISO only sees the windows file system files (Boot Camp) on the DVD so it doesn't create a bootable/usuable ISO image

2) On OSX (10.6.4), I used Disk utility (mounted the physical 10.6.3 DVD) to create an ISO image. I tried:

(i) New Image, compressed which creates a .dmg file. Transferred the file to the windows host, then used dmg2img to create an ISO file

(ii) New Image, DVD/CD master (which creates a .CDR file which from what I understand is an ISO file), renamed .cdr to .iso and then transferred the file to the window host

In all cases, I cannot boot from my ISO image to install SL. It works fine with the physical DVD but not my stinking ISO files. What am I doing wrong? How do I create a perfect image of the DVD which can be used to (i) boot in VMware or (ii) recreate a new physical DVD ???

Pierre

I've been beating my head trying to create an ISO image of my retail 10.6.3 DVD.

1) Under Windows 7, Magic ISO only sees the windows file system files (Boot Camp) on the DVD so it doesn't create a bootable/usuable ISO image

2) On OSX (10.6.4), I used Disk utility (mounted the physical 10.6.3 DVD) to create an ISO image. I tried:

(i) New Image, compressed which creates a .dmg file. Transferred the file to the windows host, then used dmg2img to create an ISO file

(ii) New Image, DVD/CD master (which creates a .CDR file which from what I understand is an ISO file), renamed .cdr to .iso and then transferred the file to the window host

In all cases, I cannot boot from my ISO image to install SL. It works fine with the physical DVD but not my stinking ISO files. What am I doing wrong? How do I create a perfect image of the DVD which can be used to (i) boot in VMware or (ii) recreate a new physical DVD ???

Pierre

Pierre, use ImgBurn, link below, to create your ISO from your Retail OS X DVD, has worked great for me and others have told me it works for them, MSoK.

http://www.imgburn.com/

Pierre, use ImgBurn, link below, to create your ISO from your Retail OS X DVD, has worked great for me and others have told me it works for them, MSoK.

http://www.imgburn.com/

MSoK,

Thanks. That worked! I have a few questions if you know the answer:

1) Why doesn't the ISO image created by Disk Utility work? (either using a .DMG converted to a .ISO or a .CDR)

2) What does ImgBurn do that MagicISO doesn't?

It's quite bizarre. MagicISO seems to create an ISO of only the files it sees which. The .CDR created by Disk Utility shows all the files but doesn't work. And yet, ImgBurn creates an image with the "DOS" files (BootCamp) and some hidden filesystem which contains the OS X files...

Being a techy, I'm trying to understand the differences...

Pierre

MSoK,

Thanks. That worked! I have a few questions if you know the answer:

1) Why doesn't the ISO image created by Disk Utility work? (either using a .DMG converted to a .ISO or a .CDR)

2) What does ImgBurn do that MagicISO doesn't?

It's quite bizarre. MagicISO seems to create an ISO of only the files it sees which. The .CDR created by Disk Utility shows all the files but doesn't work. And yet, ImgBurn creates an image with the "DOS" files (BootCamp) and some hidden filesystem which contains the OS X files...

Being a techy, I'm trying to understand the differences...

Pierre

Pierre,

Not sure if I can answer all of your questions but here goes, I am sure Donk and other will correct me if my understanding is not complete:

1) The dmg created by the OS X disk utility is compressed and as such any conversion will not work, you need an uncompressed version to convert to ISO, but do not ask me how to create one, other than dmg's can come in either form.

2) MagicISO like most other windows based programs only see the BootCamp part of the OS X DVD, so the ISO created will never boot to OS X. Fortunately the engine in ImgBurn reads both the "DOS" and "OS X" parts of the retail DVD, hence it will mount and boot OS X. You can tell by the size of the ISO, the ImgBurn version is something like 7.5GB in size, where as the BootCamp image is only 400MB or so.

Hope this helps, anyway regardless of the semi techy stuff you now have an ISO which you can mount and install OS X in to a VM, cheers MSoK.

So I had everything working great and I got greedy. I decided to upgrade my CPU from a Core 2 Duo 3.0ghz to a Core 2 Quad 2.83ghz. Now I'm getting the dreaded "Mac OS X is not supported..."

I tried to re-patch my 7.1.1 workstation. No change. I uninstalled and reinstalled 7.1.1 workstation. I tried to create a new VM. No change.

Any suggestions, besides going back to the Core 2 Duo. :P BTW the new processor is a Q9550.

Update: I uninstalled Workstation 7.1.1 and removed all references from the registry. I installed 7.1.2. Before running the program for the first time, I ran the unlocker. I tried to start the Snow Leopard VM that was currently running with the old processor. It gave me the same error.

It's Windows 7 Professional 64bit, 6GB of RAM, Core 2 Quad 2.83 Ghz Q9550 processor.

Update: I uninstalled Workstation 7.1.1 and removed all references from the registry. I installed 7.1.2. Before running the program for the first time, I ran the unlocker. I tried to start the Snow Leopard VM that was currently running with the old processor. It gave me the same error.

It's Windows 7 Professional 64bit, 6GB of RAM, Core 2 Quad 2.83 Ghz Q9550 processor.

I am not aware of any issues with the Q9550, can you post your vmx file as an attachment, and your vmware.log. Also what level is your OS X patched too, i.e. 10.6.3 or 10.6.4, was your SL created using the unlocker in the first place?

I have posted a CPUID mask for the Q9000 series, see the link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1562627

Also you do not need to uninstall the previous version of Workstation, the new version does a complete clean uninstall, hence you need to run the "unlocker" after the "upgrade" as it is a new install not really an "upgrade".

Hi, I have read through all of the pages but I have a question... can we apply this to ESXi 4.1? I would like to get the EFI support which was added in. Thanks for everyones work.

In a word no, Albert's unlocker only works with Workstation and Player if you use Donk's updated script. If you want to run OS X under ESXi 4.1 then that works well but you need to use Donk's latest darwin iso 310, so have a look at the following topic, link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1523890

I am not aware of any issues with the Q9550, can you post your vmx file as an attachment, and your vmware.log. Also what level is your OS X patched too, i.e. 10.6.3 or 10.6.4, was your SL created using the unlocker in the first place?

I have posted a CPUID mask for the Q9000 series, see the link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1562627

Also you do not need to uninstall the previous version of Workstation, the new version does a complete clean uninstall, hence you need to run the "unlocker" after the "upgrade" as it is a new install not really an "upgrade".

I don't know what changed if anything, but I finally came back to see if you had replied to my post. I started the VM up to see if I got the same error and to maybe try the CPUID mask. It started up just fine. Very strange...

All is well in my world. Thanks.

I don't know what changed if anything, but I finally came back to see if you had replied to my post. I started the VM up to see if I got the same error and to maybe try the CPUID mask. It started up just fine. Very strange...

All is well in my world. Thanks.

Glad you are up and running, must have been fixed just by thinking about it, the power of the mind and all that, only joking, LoL! Also as they always say if it ain't broke don't fix it, cheers MSoK!

cool i hope this works out for me :rolleyes:

If you following the instructions all should work well, but any issues we are on hand too help.

People are already asking me why my solution is better than the current solution at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=172474 .

Here is why. My solution:

• Allows you to create Mac OS X virtual machines using the UI, without having to hand-edit the .vmx file.
  • Does not require modifying VMware's darwin.iso.
  • Will boot Mac OS X guest using the VMware's virtual EFI, which brings tons of improvements: nvram support, System Preferences > Startup Disk support, panic reporting support, Snow Leopard guests boot the 64-bit kernel by default, ...

Can you explain to me where I find the steps to take after I ran your script?

I do have the original osx disk snow leopard, how do i go through the steps to create the image and install osx? What kind of image do i make? Do i still need darwin.iso? Is there a guide on how to do it when using your patched vmware?

Thanks for the great work. I cannot find anywhere how to really get osx going, is it possible to use the original install dvd, etc etc. Is there such a guide, please link me there...

Help much appreciated!!!

Can you explain to me where I find the steps to take after I ran your script?

I do have the original osx disk snow leopard, how do i go through the steps to create the image and install osx? What kind of image do i make? Do i still need darwin.iso? Is there a guide on how to do it when using your patched vmware?

Thanks for the great work. I cannot find anywhere how to really get osx going, is it possible to use the original install dvd, etc etc. Is there such a guide, please link me there...

Help much appreciated!!!

OK, I have been avoiding answering your question, not because it is a problem, just hoping to find the spare time I need to put together an updated guide, which combines using Albert's "Unlocker" and Donk's darwin iso solutions, so please be patient.

But as a quick interim response:

In simple terms once you have run Albert's, or Donk's updated "Unlocker" script you should have the option when creating a new virtual machine (Typical) to select the installer disc, which should be your retail OS X DVD in the host PC's DVD drive, and then choose "Apple MAC OS X" as the Guest operating system, with the version being "Mac OS X Server 10.6 64-bit". Give it a name and select a location. Make the maximum disk size (GB) resonable, the default 40GB is OK but I generally make it much bigger 128GB or even 256GB, as it will by default be thin provisioned, i.e. only uses the space as required, and store as a single file, some (including Donk) recommend multiple files for performance, I tend to stick with one for ease of management and moving / copying when required. If you have VT-x enabled and the retail OS X DVD in your DVD drive the installation process should progress and allow you to install OS X.

I have posted a cut down version of the guide I mentioned earlier which takes you through the initial steps of install OS X including partitioning the hard drive via disk utility, which hopefully will help, link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1565645

Otherwise please wait until I post the full guide, alternatively you can post specific problems on this topic, and we should be able to help, but do not forget to post details of your hardware, hostOS, version of VMware, i.e. Workstation 7.1.2 and attach text versions of your VMX and vmware.log files, this will speed up the diagnostic process and hopefully lead to a quick resolution of your problem.

Finally, if you are using Albert's "Unlocker" you do not need the darwin iso for anything other than to install the VMware Tools, which is recommended. Once you have your OS X up and running mount one of the versions of darwin iso in to your running OS X, Donk's 310 is fine, but I have posted a latest version 311 which can only be used to install the VMware tools, Donk's 310 has some of Zenith432's enhanced graphics and audio drivers included, see links below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1523890

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1554649

Once mounted you will get a folder giving you the option to install or uninstall the VMware Tools, please note this is the only way to install the Tools, using the menus in Workstation or Player do not work, no does the prompt screen you get during installation, good luck MSoK!