Support Group for Confused Owners of the GA-X58A-UD3R **rev 2.0**

660 posts in this topic

Bird

If you get the revision 2 mobo and install kexts for the onboard 8111E nic you will have to boot the 32-bit kernel as there is currently not a 64-bit kext for this chip. As noted in my earlier post this also broke sleep for me.

The good news is you'll be able to use 12GB with both the 64 and 32 bit kernels. OS X uses PAE so the 32 bit kernel can support more than 4GB of RAM. Using PAE limits each program (not the OS) to 4GB of RAM.

Bird

If you get the revision 2 mobo and install kexts for the onboard 8111E nic you will have to boot the 32-bit kernel as there is currently not a 64-bit kext for this chip. As noted in my earlier post this also broke sleep for me.

The good news is you'll be able to use 12GB with both the 64 and 32 bit kernels. OS X uses PAE so the 32 bit kernel can support more than 4GB of RAM. Using PAE limits each program (not the OS) to 4GB of RAM.

Thanks for your reply! So I should wait on the on-board ethernet if I want to take advantage of all 12 GB in one program. I did order a wireless card off of the approved list on osx86 wiki that does work with 64-bit, just in case.

Is there any reason why I should use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and or kakewalk over chameleon rc 3 or 4? Or do they do they all do same thing?

Still reading and researching......thanks!

My machine:

Core i7 930

X58A UD3R rev2

nVidia GTX 470

I've been using nullspot's suggestions and DSDT's and kexts with a USB install, and I keep running into the same problem...

FakeSMC: key not found BEMB, length - 1

This happens before I even get to install Snow Leopard. I get this error as it's loading up (the point where you have the white screen with the apple logo and the loading wheel underneath it). I've been at this all day and I'm completely stumped, not to mention frustrated.

Any ideas would be helpful. :lol:

Hi,

I have onboard network working in 64bit mode on my X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0 Board.

I found this replacement for the IONetworkingFamily.kext which does the trick.

Hope it helps!

J

Realtec_8111D_3264.zip

Hey, I am new to posting here, but I just wanted to confirm that the above posted kext works great. After replacing the default kext in S/L/E with this new one I ran Kext Utility, restarted, then added "Ethernet" in Networking under System Preferences. Thanks Jacoverse!

I now have a fully functioning Hackintosh running 10.6.4 flawlessly besides an issue with restart. Im using NullSpot's DSDT that was updated for the i7 920. My S/L/E folder contains the AppleHDA that was posted above, and the mentioned IONetworkingFamily. My E/E folder is located on my EFI partition and contains the FakeSMC from above, JMicron36xATA, JMicron36eSATA, JMicron36xSATA, and the Legacy889HDA, which again was posted in this forum. Using NullSpot's SMBios as well.

Any ideas on how to fix the restart issue? What happens is that anytime I click "Restart" from the System Menu or from a software update OS X seemingly shuts down with the monitor, however the my system is still obviously running. Thank a lot for all the help in the thread guys/girls!

Hey, I am new to posting here, but I just wanted to confirm that the above posted kext works great. After replacing the default kext in S/L/E with this new one I ran Kext Utility, restarted, then added "Ethernet" in Networking under System Preferences. Thanks Jacoverse!

I now have a fully functioning Hackintosh running 10.6.4 flawlessly besides an issue with restart. Im using NullSpot's DSDT that was updated for the i7 920. My S/L/E folder contains the AppleHDA that was posted above, and the mentioned IONetworkingFamily. My E/E folder is located on my EFI partition and contains the FakeSMC from above, JMicron36xATA, JMicron36eSATA, JMicron36xSATA, and the Legacy889HDA, which again was posted in this forum. Using NullSpot's SMBios as well.

Any ideas on how to fix the restart issue? What happens is that anytime I click "Restart" from the System Menu or from a software update OS X seemingly shuts down with the monitor, however the my system is still obviously running. Thank a lot for all the help in the thread guys/girls!

Odd, my restart/shutdown works fine with the same DSDT that you are using. Just add OSXRestart.kext or EvoReboot.kext, either one will fix your issue.

Also, everyone else has sleep working as well, right? I saw some posts about not waking from USB, etc, but I have USB wakeup, sleep, everything looks good!

edit:

Why do you have all of those Jmicron kexts? I thought it was pick one.

patch IONetworkingFamily.kext works "Ethernet" in 64bits SL 10.6.4. But AirPort wireless is no longer working.

Any solution? Can anybody PM the unpatch "IONetworkingFamily.kext" please? I forgot to make back up. :)

Well I got the board today in the mail and looked through the plastic and while I was anticipating a Rev 2.0 board, it says it is a Rev 1.0 on the corner of the board, so I guess I'm "lucky" in that regard. I guess I just need to follow the tonymac guide or just use the kakewalk method and I should be okay. I'll do more reading and try it out tomorrow. Thanks for everything!

I recenty swapped out my power supply (I have a Corsair TX750W that makes a high-pitched whining noise, RMA'ed it for a new one and the noise got even worse) and I think my BIOS must have reset. Now I have some stability issues - I'm wondering what kind of changes people are making from stock BIOS to make this work? Especially in the area of MIT Tweaking and CPU features like Halt states etc.

I had it running fine for a while - but now editing files in Terminal or using my webcam make the PSU squeal like a pig and increase temperature rapidly.

david

I recenty swapped out my power supply (I have a Corsair TX750W that makes a high-pitched whining noise, RMA'ed it for a new one and the noise got even worse) and I think my BIOS must have reset. Now I have some stability issues - I'm wondering what kind of changes people are making from stock BIOS to make this work? Especially in the area of MIT Tweaking and CPU features like Halt states etc.

I had it running fine for a while - but now editing files in Terminal or using my webcam make the PSU squeal like a pig and increase temperature rapidly.

david

Your capacitors are going bad. Definitely replace that PSU again. Sucks, but that squealing (provided it is not a fan), is the high-pitched whine that I have heard from dying PSUs. I am surprised Corsair sent you back another bad one. Normally they do a good job.

Also, now my sleep stopped working. It sleeps, USB/power un-sleeps it, but no display. All boxes are checked in Energy Saver, the only changes I have made are the IONetworkingFamily.kext that I already un-did, booting once in 64-bit, then setting back to 32, and the audio kexts.

Changing all of that stuff back and I still have the same lack of display output after waking from sleep. Grrr!

I attached the vanilla 10.6.4 IONetworkingFamily.kext.

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

My machine:

Core i7 930

X58A UD3R rev2

nVidia GTX 470

I've been using nullspot's suggestions and DSDT's and kexts with a USB install, and I keep running into the same problem...

FakeSMC: key not found BEMB, length - 1

This happens before I even get to install Snow Leopard. I get this error as it's loading up (the point where you have the white screen with the apple logo and the loading wheel underneath it). I've been at this all day and I'm completely stumped, not to mention frustrated.

Any ideas would be helpful. :(

Don't mean to be pushy, but does ANYONE have any idea why this might be happening? It's driving me insane. :thumbsdown_anim:

Thanks.

Edit:

I seem to have fixed that issue somewhat, but I'm now getting stuck at

AppleTyMCEDriver::start coreVIDPID = 0x2c418086 Number of packages = 1 Number of cpus = 8 memory monitor through MCA

So I'm not sure what else I'm doing new, but after replacing the power supply I'm having all kinds of issues. I think some of the stem from the graphics cards as well.

I have a 9800GTX and 9800GT, I have two monitors plugged into the GT and one in the GTX. The GTX definitely seems a bit choppier (dragging windows in a VM is slow inside the GTX monitor but faster on the GT).

Every now and then I get a really hard to explain slowdown where audio playback is choppy and Flash video doesn't play on Youtube (very choppily, even the audio).

I'm checking Activity Monitor, top, and not seeing anything suspicious. I'm running in 32-bit mode with the Realtek driver (suspect it may be some mixture of USB/Networking) and possibly Time Machine running. Anything else to check? Could it be HD related? IO doesn't seem particularly bound during that time and CPU usage is usually low.

david

Don't mean to be pushy, but does ANYONE have any idea why this might be happening? It's driving me insane. :)

Thanks.

Edit:

I seem to have fixed that issue somewhat, but I'm now getting stuck at

AppleTyMCEDriver::start coreVIDPID = 0x2c418086 Number of packages = 1 Number of cpus = 8 memory monitor through MCA

Hi. Didn't see your post.

Neither of those are really errors in my experience. I would look elsewhere for the problems.

1. Disable any overclock, if it is unstable then you will receive random KPs and hangs that are not really software related

2. If you have a windows disk arround you could run OCCT at stock settings for an hour and see if your system is actually stable

3. Run memtest86+ for 3 passes

4. If that hardware checks out, then completely remake your installer thumb. Maybe something was lost during the restore process. Your hardware is no different than anyone else here, so its not your kexts or whatever else. It is either hardware or the thumb drive has a problem/was made incorrectly. (noticed you are using a 470. that seems like a poort choice for a starting install)

To re-make the the thumb drive:

A. Format it GUID

B. Install AsereBLN v1.9 http://efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=644

C. Copy and paste the attached Extra folder. (for i7-930)

D. Either mount your image or insert your retail SL DVD and restore it to the thumb drive without erasing what is there.

E. Don't install with the 470 in. Install with any janky Nvidia card. 7xxx-9xxx, or even a more recent card. Just not the 4xx series. After you install and update to 10.6.4 do this for Fermi support: http://netkas.org/?p=455

David,

Do you have problems when you only run one of those video cards?

X58A_UD3R_rev_2.0_Extra_Folder.zip

David,

Do you have problems when you only run one of those video cards?

Hmm, I was previously running just the 9800GTX and it seemed fine. Now that I've put two monitors on the GT and one on the GTX it appears to be more stable, but it still goes through these hiccups. Not sure if I've not placed the cards in an optimal configuration, they're both in PCIE 16 but perhaps one on the 8 bus and one on the 16 bus. I really don't care about graphics performance (no gaming) just that it works and is solid.

david

I totally missed this too! thanks for the tip - I'm running a full 10º cooler even overclocked to 3.25ghz and under full load! (with geekbench scores of 11640). Woohoo! now I can finally push my OC a bit more...

@nullspot: I have looked through my BIOS and I can only find the option thats soemthing in the nature of enable VCore, which is set to auto, and when i enter into that, it gave me a lonnnng list of decimals ranging from soemthing like 0.5~~~~ to 6.~~~~~, is that the option you were referring to? and if it is, what did you set it at?

my cpu is running at 6 to 10 degrees lower than before when i used ur dsdt of 920chip, but it is still hovering around 50ish. (48 to 54 Celsius to be exact). lowering the temp to the upper 30s and lower 40s would be soooo perfect for me.

thank you so much for your effort on dsdt for the 920 chip, I really appreciate it.

EDIT:

Hi,

I have onboard network working in 64bit mode on my X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0 Board.

I found this replacement for the IONetworkingFamily.kext which does the trick.

Hope it helps!

J

Realtec_8111D_3264.zip

I've gotten my network running on 64bit as well, awesome job.

To re-make the the thumb drive:

A. Format it GUID

B. Install AsereBLN v1.9 http://efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=644

C. Copy and paste the attached Extra folder. (for i7-930)

D. Either mount your image or insert your retail SL DVD and restore it to the thumb drive without erasing what is there.

E. Don't install with the 470 in. Install with any janky Nvidia card. 7xxx-9xxx, or even a more recent card. Just not the 4xx series. After you install and update to 10.6.4 do this for Fermi support: http://netkas.org/?p=455

Thanks for your reply.

Please excuse my noobness here, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with AsereBLN - how and where do I install it? Also shouldn't I mount the Snow Leopard image to the thumb drive (in this case I'm using an external HDD) before copying the Extra folder onto it?

Just so you know, there's two 1tb SATA3 HDD's in the machine, one working with Windows 7 (which I'm using right now) and another completely unformatted HDD ready to install OSX on for a dual boot. Of course I unplug the Windows HDD when I'm doing this (as well as switch the OSX drive to SATA port 0 and remove all but 4GB of RAM). I do have 9800GT video card lying around though so I'll give that a go.

This is all quite confusing for me. I've learnt a lot in the last few days, but it seems I still have a bit to go. :P

EDIT:

Well I swapped the video card out and managed to install it! After swapping them back again I'm still able to boot into OSX, though I can't set the resolution to anything decent (I'm guessing I need a kext for the GTX470).

Of coure I have absolutely no ethernet, audio or PS/2 keyboard functionality either, and probably a few other things missing too. Is it just the kexts I need to get this stuff working? I don't quite understand all this DSDT stuff, will I need any more of that at this stage now too?

The kext files all just go in the MacHD/Library/Extensions folder don't they?

Thanks again! :)

Thanks for your reply.

Please excuse my noobness here, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with AsereBLN - how and where do I install it? Also shouldn't I mount the Snow Leopard image to the thumb drive (in this case I'm using an external HDD) before copying the Extra folder onto it?

Just so you know, there's two 1tb SATA3 HDD's in the machine, one working with Windows 7 (which I'm using right now) and another completely unformatted HDD ready to install OSX on for a dual boot. Of course I unplug the Windows HDD when I'm doing this (as well as switch the OSX drive to SATA port 0 and remove all but 4GB of RAM). I do have 9800GT video card lying around though so I'll give that a go.

This is all quite confusing for me. I've learnt a lot in the last few days, but it seems I still have a bit to go. :P

EDIT:

Well I swapped the video card out and managed to install it! After swapping them back again I'm still able to boot into OSX, though I can't set the resolution to anything decent (I'm guessing I need a kext for the GTX470).

Of coure I have absolutely no ethernet, audio or PS/2 keyboard functionality either, and probably a few other things missing too. Is it just the kexts I need to get this stuff working? I don't quite understand all this DSDT stuff, will I need any more of that at this stage now too?

The kext files all just go in the MacHD/Library/Extensions folder don't they?

Thanks again! :P

AsereBLN is a bootloader, just like Chameleon. You install it to whatever drive you are booting from, which is probably your SL drive. here is a package version: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=...208&start=0

You would then copy the Extra folder (to the same drive you install the bootloader on to) over and that is pretty much all the drivers you need for most installations.

You want to do the Extra folder first, because if you copy an SL retail image to a single partition if often seems to lock the volume so you can not copy additional files on to it. You could probably do it in either order, but this seems easier to me. (I attached an Extra folder for you on my last post)

If you read this thread you can either choose the 64-bit kext System/Library/Extensions (use kext utility), or you can run the .pkg 32-bit installer from realtek. (internet)

You also need to use kext utility to copy a bin-modified AppleHDA.kext into S/L/E. It is linked within this thread. Just look for someone saying, "I got my audio working with this!", etc.

Get a USB mouse/keyboard. Real Macs dont use PS2 and they are not expensive. You can use kexts, but why pollute your build to save $10.

Guide for Fermi support: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1500646

Basically, you have a lot to learn and you can either do it now or when your system breaks you will have no idea how to fix it. I suggest you do a ton of reading, even if you get your system operational, in order to understand WHY it is working with these files. You don't need to learn to code, just how to use Chameleon, what it does and what files work with it.

This guide is very helpful for newbs even though it is a different motherboard. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=180954

Don't DO anything since it is motherboard specific, but it has a lot of information on the how and why.

So I've finally jumped into the DSDT mess and built a custom DSDT for the rev2.0 x58a-ud3r board and the i7-930 proc. I didn't include any fixes for video (GraphicsEnabler=yes takes care of basic video). Ethernet is included, so remove any ethernet strings (including built-in) from your com.apple.boot.plist.

x58_ud3r_rev2_dsdt.zip

Sorry for a silly question(i've tried to find my answers by searching the forum and the www) but how do I install this precompiled DSDT on an already set up system, with out changing the bootloader( I´m using EFI-Empire) ?

Thanks again for the help maleorderbride.

I've had a good read, and I'm starting to get a better grasp of everything, though I'm still not too sure I understand how to use custom DSDT's.

Just have a few other questions though:

I seem to have all the boot files (boot0 and so on) in the root of my MacHD. Is that ok?

I also have the Extras folder here with the Extensions and all that stuff in it. There is of course also another Extensions folder in the MacHD/Library folder as well as MacHD/System/Library with all the kexts in there.

Seems kinda weird to me, would I only need to use the System/Library/Extensions folder?

Also I've used kext utility and added the audio and ethernet kexts (which others have said in here works in 64bit), as well as nullspot's DSDT but still have no audio or ethernet. I'm guessing there's something missing, but I used kext utility to rebuild the caches so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

EDIT:

Added and rebuilt with the new kexts in System/Library/Extensions folder. Now I can't boot. I get stuck at WAITING FOR DSMOS.

If it's got anything to do with what kext files I have (or don't have) and where I've put them or anything like that, I have MacDrive on the Windows 7 HDD which I can use to explore and move stuff around on the Mac HDD.

A partial answer is that in an ideal hackintosh build nothing at all is altered or added to S/L/E because anything there is over-written during an update and can cause problems.

Adding the kexts to S/L/E was not a good idea.

Chameleon scans your root drive (that it was installed on) and loads the /Extra folder there. That folder should contain:

dsdt.aml

extensions

extensions.mkext

SMBIOS.plist

com.Apple.Boot.plist

Those files over-ride anything in normal OS X folders. They are your drivers. You should have installed a bootloader to whatever drive and then pasted my Extra folder to that same drive. That's it.

Internet required the .pkg installer from Realtek and the audio required my Extra folder+the appropriate bin-hacked AppleHDA.kext. No other files are necessary for a fully functional install.

You use Kext Utility by dragging the kext on top of it, not by only using it to rebuild the folder. You just drag the HDA file and the ethernet file on top of it and enter your pass, wait, then reboot. You do not just paste it into the folder. Likely, your permissions are completely {censored}ed up.

Sorry for a silly question(i've tried to find my answers by searching the forum and the www) but how do I install this precompiled DSDT on an already set up system, with out changing the bootloader( I´m using EFI-Empire) ?

Why not just change the bootloader? Chameleon or AsereBLN are both .pkg installers and take 10 seconds. Then you insert all files into the /Extra folder. See my above post for what should be there.

Really, all one needs to do is install a bootloader and paste a folder. That gets almost everything working. Then install a single kext and the realtek driver.

Damn. I guess I should have waited for your reply before doing anything crazy. I've just completely over-estimated the complexity of this. :rolleyes:

Do you know if there's any way to fix this mess by perhaps booting off the Snow Leopard disk or booting with the 10.6.4 update mounted to a USB? Or even by copying over the System/Library/Extensions folder (as well as the .mkext file) from my MacBook?

Hey guys - I'm having some very strange problems and would appreciate any advice in terms of how to fix it, or how to at least better diagnose the issue.

Here's my build:

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0 (FA Bios)

EVGA 9800GTX 512 MB

EVGA 9800GT 512 MB

6GB RAM

I'm using most of the fixes from this thread and I've recently put the 0.2.2 VoodooHDA kext in my /E/E folder. However, every now and then I'll get some pretty serious audio distortion (it sounds like my CPU can't keep up with playing the audio). It'll crackle and pop and skip. Sometimes, video/Flash will also have problems when this happens. I'm not exactly sure what causes it (Time Machine, USB Webcam, Skype don't seem to have a direct correlation with causing it). No meters are going crazy (in iStat) like HD use, network, CPU, memory - everything seems pretty calm.

I've also removed the AppleUserUpstream kext to fix the jumpy mouse problem.

I used the Kakewalk 2.2 SL disk method to install.

I am very interested in buy a GA-X58A-UD3R board.

I'm concerned about the Rev. 2.0 due to all the kext installs. Does the Rev 1.0 board work completely "out of the box" so to speak with the Kakewalk installer? The thread on the forum says its supports the X58A-UD3R motherboard. I assume perhaps only for the 1.0 version? can anyone confirm that 1.0 boards do not have any audio or ethernet issues with this installer?