• Please log in to reply
433 replies to this topic

athena

athena

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Jammol: Just to verify:you were having this problem before using the adapter, and now you're not?

Yeah, I'd like to know this too..

iskanderdumacedon

iskanderdumacedon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Looking at this page:
http://www.insanelym...p...14114&st=20
It would appear that Jammol did, in fact, have this problem before using that adapter, but it would still be nice to hear from the man himself. :)

skyhack

skyhack

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
I too have just upgrade to 10.6.3 and I have the same problem. When I connect to the TV via the DVI / HDMI connection the system boots to a black screen. When I connect the video out to an old CRT monitor the system boots normally. I am running a EN9800GTX+ DK/HTDI/512M Asus card in an AMD system.

This setup worked 100% under 10.6.2 with EFI strings.

macke

macke

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
had a semi success here- tried it with with osx86tools.
click: 'Add EFI Strings', then from the menu: 'GFX Strings'. In the pulldown menu i chose the last entry: 'Custom GeForce...'
Then just fill in what you're asked, i think i chose dvi-i/ dvi-i on that particular part. then i clicked 'import string to boot editor' and finally 'apply changes to com.apple.Boot.plist'
booting after this gave me video out over either dvi or hdmi. no two monitor outs at a time and with a wrong resolution. (wanting 1920x1080 for my toshiba tv-screen)

KariNeko

KariNeko

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

same problem here with 8800gt 512mb
everything was perfect with these old kexts from 10.6.1 when i use 10.6.2 .. now stucked on 1600x1200 resolution (using 30" @ 2560x1600 normally)

still waiting a solution :)

So 2560x1600 resolution on a 30" monitor doesn't even work after 10.6.3 update? and this can't be related to an HDMI connection because it's using Dual Link DVI. This is strange.

el_charlie

el_charlie

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Hey, it f***ng works!!!!!

I have attached the proof images (The info is in Spanish but you can see I'm using the HDMI input of my Samsung T260HD monitor). The second image is the cable itself.

I bought a cheap DVI to HDMI cable and works flawlessly on 10.6.3. I'm not using any special kexts or bootloader I just installed Snow Leopard from the retail DVD and I've been updating my computer via Software Update to 10.6.3 so, all my kexts are the vanilla ones (except the AppleHDA wich is from 10.6.2 because my audio codec is ALC662). I currently use Chameleon 2 RC 4 with GraphicsEnabler and my custom video BIOS from a real MacPro's 8800GT. I only edited the BIOS on Windows with NiBitor to overclock it a little (650MHz vs 600MHz stock). On my com.apple.Boot.plist I only have this:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>yes</string>
	<key>VideoROM</key>
	<string>NVIDIA.rom</string>
	<key>VBIOS</key>
	<string>yes</string>

My NVIDIA.rom file is on (EFI partition)/Extra directory.

In conclusion, DVI and HDMI indeed ARE electrically compatible. Also, don't use EFI strings, just GraphicsEnabler and a Video BIOS of your choice. I use the MacPro's 8800GT BIOS to make it more "Mac like" but it's the same if you dump your current BIOS or download it and place it on your bootloader.

My video card is an EVGA 8800GT Superclocked with 512MB GDDR3 and two DVI outputs. I use the first DVI output (the one that is closest to the motherboard). Of course I have full 3D acceleration (Portal for Mac and Bioshock runs smooth like silk)

EDIT: I don't have ANYTHING regarding to the videocard on my DSDT.

Cheers!

Attached Files

JFLNYC

JFLNYC

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Very happy for you. The problem, though, is with 9800 and later cards. You have an 8800 GT. I have 10.6.3 running fine on my machine with an 8600 GT. But on the machine with a GTS 250, no dice. HDMI and DVI are electrically compatible. But -- for whatever reason it is -- if you're using a 9800 or above NVIDIA card and are connecting using a DVI to HDMI cable (or adapter), you get a black screen. The problem applies to real Macs and Hackintoshes. The only exceptions are the GT 120 card Apple uses and the GTX 285.

So while I'm sure we can all be happy you've solved your problem, it does nothing for those us us with the other, later NVIDIA cards.

LogicalUser

LogicalUser

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
I'm unable to test & validate what he said at this time, however the 8800GT & 9800GT both share the same GPU core, which is VERY similar to that used in the 9800GTX+/GTS250.

You could pretty much consider them the same cards, the only differences being with the PCB design & power distribution. If he's resolved the issue with a 8800GT the same steps should fix it with a 9800GT too, and likely the newer variants as well. (Your 8600GT is based around a different core than the 8800GT/9800GT, and is not affected by this issue at all)

JFLNYC

JFLNYC

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
If you can find anyone -- Mac User or Hackintosh user -- with a 9800 or GTS 250 who is successfully running 10.6.3 with a DVI to HDMI connection, I'd appreciate knowing.

el_charlie

el_charlie

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

I'm unable to test & validate what he said at this time, however the 8800GT & 9800GT both share the same GPU core, which is VERY similar to that used in the 9800GTX+/GTS250.

In fact the first 9800GTs were just 8800Gts flashed with a new BIOS. Other tnah that, both have the same GPU at 65nm and the same PCB. Even the same clocks. When the 65nm chips went off, they used 55nm chips. But it's still the same card with a different name.

Some users have sucessfully flashed their 8800GTs with 9800's BIOS and they haven't experienced any problems at all. I could try to flash my own card, but I don't have enough money to buy a new one if I brick my current card. I also don't have a spare PCI card to flash if something's gone wrong.

But you get my point.

Also, the 9800GTX is just a rebrranded 8800GTS (128 shader processors) and the GTS 250 is a rebranded 9800GTX+ (an overclocked 9800GTX). All three cards are variants of the G92 GPU but with 128 SP instead of 112 of the 8800/9800GT.

Obviously they present to the OS as different models, so the drivers (kexts) reacts different to each model and therefore we have the issues.

Cheers!

PS: You don't lose anything to try my settings (GraphicsEnabler + NVIDIA.rom BIOS without EFI strings and/or DSDT).

zawx

zawx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Are you just supposed to extract the NVIDIA.rom-file from your graphics card and use it with Chameleon, or is any modifications of it required?

el_charlie

el_charlie

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Just use it with Chameleon. You can edit it if you want to overclock/underclock your card. Be aware that editing the fan speed policies doesn't work on OSX.

Cheers!

Beerkex'd

Beerkex'd

Content Provider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts
Maybe I misunderstood you, but if not, why on earth would someone want to use Chameleon to load an unmodified copy of their video card ROM?

el_charlie

el_charlie

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Because it's not the modification of the BIOS, just the injection itself that reports better to the OS than the EFI strings does.

By injecting your own video bios, you tell the OS all the capabilities of the video card, instead of using a generic EFI string.

You can mod your bios if you want. I did that. But just for overclocking purposes on OSX.

Cheers!

_Jay_

_Jay_

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Interests:Computers and cars. I stumbled onto OSx86 about in 2008 but only started to dangle with it late...
Let me clarify: I have a DVI-HDMI adapter on my GPU, but couldn't work on 10.6.3. So now I am using a DVI adapter on my TV(It has VGA natively) as we speak. I am no longer using my HDMI, just DVI. The problem is with the HDMI strings within 10.6.3. That is what I read on a different forum. Something about the automatic conversion from dvi to hdmi not working. So all I did was buy a DVI adaptop for my TV. You can also use a VGA-DVI if your TV doesn't have HDMI or DVI and your video card does.

ALso guys I don't check back on forums I post in much so if you need help or just want to share something please just PM me.

And you shouldn't have to modify anything with bios or dsdt or any of that. Just use the adapter for now. I am currently working on a solution with a friend of mine to get dvi-hdmi back.

By the way, why do you guys have to go through so much trouble with the 9800gtx and 8800 for graphics? I'm simply using an EFI string that I generated from my card itself. Have full Quatz Extreme and the whole shabangabang.

Freaky Chokra

Freaky Chokra

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

By injecting your own video bios, you tell the OS all the capabilities of the video card, instead of using a generic EFI string.

I agree with el_charlie.
I'm using a modified version of my Video BIOS extracted using NiBiToR from Windows.
Changed all the core clock frequencies. And after making the necessary changes in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist, booted into Snow Leopard.
And, Guess WHAT!!!!!!
XBench, QJulia, etc. scores rocketed. I've yet to post screenshots.... but it FRIGGING works!
Although I already had my DSDT patched with the GFX0 code for my card, I didn't edit it out. For safety reasons.
However, the only difference I have trouble withstanding is its FAN, which I think is running at its maximum strength that it bloody makes a loud whistle-type sound, even with my cabinet having pretty tight muffling material packed around it to filter micro-dust away.
It also has extra cooling fans and an "aerodynamical" pathway for the airflow.

Hmm... Well, if anyone has pointers on the whistling sound issue... I'm just worried that the card shouldn't burn out or the fan!
Regards,
Freaky Chokra :ninja:

Beerkex'd

Beerkex'd

Content Provider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts
[Re: why load a non-modified video BIOS ROM]

Because it's not the modification of the BIOS, just the injection itself that reports better to the OS than the EFI strings does.

So what you're saying is:

If I use a device-properties string or DSDT method and don't use a bootloader that can load a dump of my video card ROM, the video ROM is never accessed by the drivers?

You don't use any injection method at all (DSDT, injector.kext, device-properties string), you only load your video ROM via the bootloader, and that's all you need to get full acceleration?

_Jay_

_Jay_

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Interests:Computers and cars. I stumbled onto OSx86 about in 2008 but only started to dangle with it late...

I'm using a modified version of my Video BIOS extracted using NiBiToR from Windows. Changed all the core clock frequencies.

So you changed your frequencies correct? WHich means that you are overclocking your GPU, also correct?
If Yes is the answer to those questions, then your fan is whistling to keep up with the heat that your GPU is now producing. You are also shortening the lifespan of you GPu by overclocking it. IF YOU ARE indeed overclocking your GPu, I would suggest downclocking a bit to save some life on it. It should also help with the whistling you hear from your GPu's fan.

Also, you guys are saying something about bios from another GPu? I'm a noob at that stuff, but from what I know, doesn't that mean you are taking the properties of a said device and flashing it onto another said device, making that new said device thinking it is the previous?

Freaky Chokra

Freaky Chokra

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
Hey there, Jammol!

Heartfelt Thx for the concern. I know it's overclocked. And it would reduce the lifespan of my GPU card.
9800GT in my sig. However, I just got it brand new as a replacement for my 9600GT from XFX, which blew after serving me well for 2 years. And, pice I never overclocked!!!
Yet, it just went out on me, fine fine day!
Ever Since, I know the cardinal rule that most such devices are manufactured to NOT TO last long...
And secondly, GPU and CPU chips are constantly rolled out newer and newer every month.
This would make either of our GPU or CPU obsolete in about a year or so.

This one too, I don't expect to last longer. More so, coz when I'd have saved up enough cash, I'd wanna go in for a NVidia 470 or 480...!!!

However, the Prime Reason for Overclocking is coz I prefer pretty fast performances for machines I have paid for through my nose! And , then there are loads of times, when I'm converting Videos across formats and encoding and decoding such stuff.
And by using MagicGate, The OpenCL actually is utilized and an Overclocked GPU certainly helps that application.

Lastly,
My (factory) GPU Core Clock Speed is 550MHz, Shaders (stream) Processors speed is 1375Mhz, and DDR3 RAM is 700Mhz.
It's overclocked as GPU Core Clock Speed to 650MHz, Shaders (stream) Processors speed is 1650Mhz, and DDR3 RAM is 950Mhz.

Regards,
Freaky Chokra ;)

el_charlie

el_charlie

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

You don't use any injection method at all (DSDT, injector.kext, device-properties string), you only load your video ROM via the bootloader, and that's all you need to get full acceleration?

Yep,

Only GraphicsEnabler and the video bios. My DSDT contains a fix for my ALC662 codec (although I had to use 10.6.2 AppleHDA on 10.6.3) and my ICH7 chipset (Use the SATA drives without KP).

Works for me since 10.6.0. Everything else is vanilla.

Cheers!

My (factory) GPU Core Clock Speed is 550MHz, Shaders (stream) Processors speed is 1375Mhz, and DDR3 RAM is 700Mhz.
It's overclocked as GPU Core Clock Speed to 650MHz, Shaders (stream) Processors speed is 1650Mhz, and DDR3 RAM is 950Mhz.

Mr Chokra,

You should know that injecting a BIOS with the FAN settings edited, won't make any effect on OSX. That's the only thing I couldn't manage to work.

The main reason to inject my BIOS through Chameleon was to increase the fan speed of my 8800GT because it ran too hot. On windows, I use EVGA Precision to speed up the fan up to 90% instead of 30% as it regulary runs.

Normaly, the card uses its fan at 30% until the temps exceed 70 degrees. I don't like my card run that hot. With my fans at 90% my card runs about 44 degrees celsius. I edited my bios to bump the speeds but it has no effect. Only the overclocking/underclocking has an effect on OSX.

I don't care about the noise because my air conditioner is a lot louder than my computer.

Something important to note though:

If you set a 2D profile (for use when the card is idle) and a 3D profile on your BIOS with NiBiTor, ONLY the 2D profile gets loaded (the slower). Therefore, you get a very slow performance on your desktop (windows animations, the dashboard, exposé, and so on). I didn't try it in games because it looked so slow and used a BIOS with only a 3D profile.

Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy