• 170 posts
It's an HDMI issue.

atom069

atom069

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Yoz el_charlie, check out the whole post, it's indeed an HDMI issue, not DVI. Yes they are both digital, but interact differently, this issue confirms this.

A

A

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
damn 10.6.2 feels old already ;)

el_charlie

el_charlie

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Yoz el_charlie, check out the whole post, it's indeed an HDMI issue, not DVI. Yes they are both digital, but interact differently, this issue confirms this.

I'm sorry to disagree.

HDMI and DVI ARE electrically compatible, therefore, HDMI is just a DVI cable with a different connector plus audio signal. Otherwise they are the same thing. Same number of pins (except audio), same everything. That's why DVI is forward compatible with HDMI.

My card doesnt' have a HDMI output so this issue could be related to the HDMI output only for video cards with hdmi outputs. If I use an adapter I probably won't experience the issue.

Cheers!

KiwiSammy

KiwiSammy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Sorry to ruin your theory. But from what I have read and also from my own experience (I have a 9800gtx DVI to HDMI adaptor to an HP w2408h display) the aforementioned connection results in a black screen. System is running but no display when machine enters GUI. It would be great for a solution to this as I am connected via DVI -VGa to the same montior. Thankfully my monitor has both inputs.
Respectfully
KiwiSammy

RickyTan

RickyTan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Let's clear up some issues. First, DVI is electrically compatible with HDMI and vice versa. The issue is not with HDMI itself, as many people think. The issue is with the High Definition Content Protection (HDCP) often used by HDMI. HDCP can be used over both DVI and HDMI, but is almost always seem with HDMI, which is why everyone seems to think it's an HDMI issue.

HDMI without HDCP and DVI without HDCP are the exact same thing. The issue seems to be driver based in that the HDMI displays are trying to do a proper HDCP handshake with the GPU and failing, thus the black screen.

I can confirm it is totally possible to get an HDMI monitor with HDCP working under 10.6.3. My guess is that the NVidia 8xxx series cards may not have full driver support for HDCP, even though they have full hardware support for HDCP. Since Apple uses the 9600 and 9400 in the MacBook Pros, the 9xxx series of cards seem to be working better with HDCP displays. However, I have seen results where it is possible to get both 7xxx and 8xxx series cards working with HDMI-based HDCP displays.

el_charlie

el_charlie

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
Finally!!!!

I also read somewhere that the issue was with HDCP but that makes me wonder why it doesn't happen with DVI since DVI also has (or should have) HDCP. On windows HDCP is working on my computer and I can check the HDCP status on NVIDIA control panel. It only works if I turn on the monitor before Windows boots. If I turn it on after it boots the control panel says that my system is not HDCP capable.

On the service menu of my HDTV monitor (Samsung T260HD) there's an option to control the HDCP behaviour when the monitor is on after the OS.

Like you said, it's a driver issue. Maybe Netkas will find a solution first.

Cheers!

RickyTan

RickyTan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
HDMI requires devices to be HDCP capable, whereas DVI does not. All initial DVI devices did not support HDCP, it was only later did DVI with HDCP become prevalent. I think the best way to handle this issue is try either try to get your GPU functioning under the existing drivers, possible by modifying your DSDT or NVCAP, or just buy a known-working NVidia GPU. I would bet that some of the people having difficulties have incorrect NVCAP values. I would try to boot into Windows, get your NVCAP values and then set them in your DSDT or using the AsereBLN 1.1.9 bootloader. Google on how to do this, as there are tutorials on this site and others.

el_charlie

el_charlie

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
Ok, I will try.

I can boot into Windows and post my NVCAP here but I think it will be useless 'cause I'm using DVI with HDCP. maybe with HDMI it's different.

I advise people with the issue of black screen to boot into Windows and check on tne NVIDIA control panel if their HDCP is working. If it's working, they can get their own NVCAP values.

Cheers!

Freaky Chokra

Freaky Chokra

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
Hi All fellas.

After having read through all of the discussion, I'd like to provide my DSDT code for GFX.

If anyone wants the modified NVDANV50Hal.kext, NVDAREsman.kext, can post here again.

Lastly, the HDMI part is the biggest hurdle in Snow Leopard, bit difficult in Leopard. And not available in Tiger though.

So "athena", if you do want this working, you would have to resort to heavy duty DSDT.aml patching.

That's the only way. Yet.

My DSDT code for GFX0:
[codebox]Device (P0P2)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x00010000)
Device (GFX0)
{
Name (_ADR, Zero)
Name (_SUN, One)
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x18)
{
"@0,compatible",
Buffer (0x0B)
{
"NVDA,NVMac"
},

"@0,device_type",
Buffer (0x08)
{
"display"
},

"@0,name",
Buffer (0x0F)
{
"NVDA,Display-A"
},

"@1,compatible",
Buffer (0x0B)
{
"NVDA,NVMac"
},

"@1,device_type",
Buffer (0x08)
{
"display"
},

"@1,name",
Buffer (0x0F)
{
"NVDA,Display-B"
},

"NVCAP",
Buffer (0x18)
{
/* 0000 */ 0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03, 0x00,
/* 0008 */ 0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x07,
/* 0010 */ 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
},

"NVPM",
Buffer (0x1C)
{
/* 0000 */ 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,
/* 0008 */ 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,
/* 0010 */ 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,
/* 0018 */ 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
},

"VRAM,totalsize",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x20
},

"device_type",
Buffer (0x0D)
{
"NVDA,GeForce"
},

"model",
Buffer (0x20)
{
"XFX nVidia GeForce 9800GT 512MB"
},

"rom-revision",
Buffer (0x25)
{
"nVidia GeForce 9800 GT OpenGL Engine"
}
}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}
}
}[/codebox]
Awaiting your feedback

Regards,
Freaky Chokra

el_charlie

el_charlie

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
When I use NVCAPMaker it gives me this value:

04000000000003000c0000000000000700000000

My card is the same as my signature (EVGA 8800GT Superclocked 512MB) and it works well with HDCP on Windows with my Samsung T260HD HDTV monitor..

Hope it helps a bit.

Cheers!

A

A

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Maybe Netkas will find a solution first.

is netkas aware of this?

P.S The Folks over at http://www.projectos...p?showtopic=370 also have lots of knowledge about Nvidia stuff. ( still it seems like they havent investigated our issue)

RickyTan

RickyTan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

When I use NVCAPMaker it gives me this value:
04000000000003000c0000000000000700000000

Now if you are using AsereBLN bootloader version 1.1.9, try adding this NVCAP value according to these instructions at the very bottom of the page. You can find the Device ID for your GPU in System Profiler:

http://wiki.github.c...ebln/Chameleon/

Let us know if that makes any difference for you. Changing the NVCAP is a subset of the changes Freak Chokra posted in his DSDT a few posts back, so you might be able to make this small modification, use GraphicsEnabler (no EFI strings) and get HDCP working.

athena

athena

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
I have since tried all sorts to get this working...including adding graphics card data into DSDT and the Asere bootloader method that was mentioned. Still the same outcome...HDMI causes blank screen on boot.

Can anyone advise on a graphics card that has no problems with HDMI as I'm sick of using the VGA cable?

JFLNYC

JFLNYC

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
I had to go back to my old 8600GT, which they don't even sell anymore. The only one that I've heard which works is the GTX 285 because NVidia has a Mac driver for it. But it costs a bundle. I'd be grateful to know of a newer/more powerful one that works. Something in the NVidia 200 series would be nice.

athena

athena

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
I googled the GTX 285, saw the price and closed the tab. Unbelievable. Surely there must be something that allows this HDMI to work? Also doesn't the 9800GT have a Mac Driver? Or am I mistaken...this issue is really annoying and the one thing that is holding my setup back....
:P

bigj425

bigj425

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Hi there,

I had the blank screen when using HDMI issue with my 9800GT in 10.6.2 and 10.6.3.

I found two relatively cheap cards that i have tested and work fully for me in the mean time until this is fixed. Both can be installed simply by using graphics enabler in charmelion under 10.6.3.

Asus EN9400GT silent 512MB

and

Sparkle GeForce GT 220 1024MB

Both have three ports, one of each a VGA, DVI and HDMI. (Although I havnt tested this, im assume you can only use two at any given time.) I tested both with dual monitors in the DVI and HDMI ports.

Hope that helps

JFLNYC

JFLNYC

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Yes, that's good news and bad. Good: Some cards work. Bad: They're really low performance.

_Jay_

_Jay_

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Interests:Computers and cars. I stumbled onto OSx86 about in 2008 but only started to dangle with it late...
Umm...I just plugged a DVI adapter into my tv and used a dvi cable! Didn't need to buy a new card or any bullcrap like that. Still got digital too so bam.

iskanderdumacedon

iskanderdumacedon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Jammol: Just to verify:you were having this problem before using the adapter, and now you're not?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy