[GUIDE] Snow Leopard Retail 10.6.X on P5Q Series

Installed SNOW LEOPARD Retail Successfully  

393 members have voted

1. 1. Were you able to install SNOW LEOPARD Retail Successfully?

• Yes
    • No

507 posts in this topic

this was using iPC OSx86 iso, also does mac support 2xati cards in crossfire?

thanks Simon

UPDATE: just updated bios with the 1611 for premium and rebooted , now i've lost dipslay?my monitor doesn't come on when the pc boots, any help aprecciated

You should never flash your Bios using the Windows Flash Utility...Always flash your Bios using the EZ Flash in the Bios....

I think you can get some info from here

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/249962-3...-display-deluxe

or

http://mondotech.blogspot.com/2009/05/asus...-spi-flash.html

You should never flash your Bios using the Windows Flash Utility...Always flash your Bios using the EZ Flash in the Bios....

I think you can get some info from here

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/249962-3...-display-deluxe

or

http://mondotech.blogspot.com/2009/05/asus...-spi-flash.html

yes I used asus EZ Flash on the bios, thanks I'll check the links.

also is daul ati gpu's supported on hackintosh

QUOTE (Digital1 @ Apr 3 2010, 02:49 PM) *

Robert, First off your guide wow what a life saver! Great stuff!!!

I do have a couple of questions though. I have a P5Q Deluxe and followed your tutorial and worked like a champ. But there are two things that i am having issues with.

1) is i can not boot directly from the drive (sata drive1) I have to use the USB drive to boot the main drive with MyHack Installer.

2) The drive that snow leopard installed on (the main Snow Drive) shows orange as if its a external drive and not a internal. That really doesn't matter if the system will boot by its self.

I have installed MyHack installer 5 times and replacing with your kext each time even trying to install only the core from the installer but it just want boot with out the USB drive.

Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance!!!!

John

Copy the kext from the following link into the Extra > Extensions folder to resolve the Orange Icon

http://www.kexts.com/view/9-fix_for_orange...w_leopard).html

To boot from the main drive you can try installing Chameleon RC4 V3 on the main drive....

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=201850

Even then if it is not working then try removing the boot file from the root directory and then install Chameleon and then check if it is working

Robert Thanks for your speedy reply!

The orange Icon is now gone !! But i am still unable to boot from the main HD even installed Chameleon RC4 V3 also tried to remove the boot from the root and then installed Chameleon again and still no luck. I do notice one thing when its about to initially boot (re boot) it says "No hard drive detected"

Any idea? ??

Thanks again Robert!!

Robert Thanks for your speedy reply!

The orange Icon is now gone !! But i am still unable to boot from the main HD even installed Chameleon RC4 V3 also tried to remove the boot from the root and then installed Chameleon again and still no luck. I do notice one thing when its about to initially boot (re boot) it says "No hard drive detected"

Any idea? ??

Thanks again Robert!!

You can try the following

Download Parted Magic Live Boot CD from here

Boot the Live CD and then use the Partitioning tool in it...... and provide you Snow Leopard partition a Boot Flag... reboot your Machine and then try to boot from the Main Snow Leopard... I think it should work...

You can try the following

Download Parted Magic Live Boot CD from here

Boot the Live CD and then use the Partitioning tool in it...... and provide you Snow Leopard partition a Boot Flag... reboot your Machine and then try to boot from the Main Snow Leopard... I think it should work...

After trying to add the boot flag all i get now is B0 error on boot up. Still wont boot..

Help ?

tried that and all i get is s blinking curser in the upper left corner...Same as the others..

Also wanted to mention when i use the partion magic then try to boot with USB then load the main HD from that its not there. I have to remove the Boot Flag in order to boot the system from the main Mac HD install

Robert,

Thanks for all your help on this. I think i finally got it working.

Things i did..

1)Reinstalled everything from scratch

2)Initial install did not have a DVD rom attached when i first installed SL.

3) I used a partition that was used from a previous SL install instead of deleting and redoing it all. (i think this was the reason)

It now boots on its own not to install the rest of the kexts for sound and we should be all set.

Thanks again for the great tutorial and all the help. Do you have a Donations tab ? I wouldn't mind donating a few dollars to you and your research not to mention help...

looks like i got one last issue. Sound is ADI AD 2000B

I tried the install the one i found on the forums for SL and killed my system..

Got any suggestions??

You can try VoodooHDA from here http://www.kexts.com/view/189-voodoohda_v2.5.3.html

or you can try VoodooHDA from here http://code.google.com/p/voodoohda/downloads/list

or you can also try these http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=133548

Got a P5Q-PRO running 10.5.7 with dual dvi ATI HD 3650. Tried your method and I only get the spinning beach ball. Tried with a USB and tried with a 50gb hard drive, same result. Booted with -v and saw some yellow text that said "failed" and then froze there. Booted with -x -v and saw same yellow text and froze at the spinning beach ball.

QUOTE (Digital1 @ Apr 4 2010, 07:49 AM) *

looks like i got one last issue. Sound is ADI AD 2000B

I tried the install the one i found on the forums for SL and killed my system..

Got any suggestions??

You can try VoodooHDA from here http://www.kexts.com/view/189-voodoohda_v2.5.3.html

Robert I tried the above link with the my Asus P5Q Deluxe with the Vodoohda (link above)

And it worked like a charm! I now have sound and without any kernal panics or failuers. I will be checking to see if all channels work and for line in as well as sleep and wake up issues I will report my findings.. I will also take some pictures to show my system in a bit. I have it in a Modified G5 Tower Case

Which Motherboard are you using?

Can you please provide me the details on the yellow message that you received.....so that I can help if possible....

If possible please post the screen shot of the error message that you received

Also are you getting this error message before installing or after installing Snow Leopard.?

Got a P5Q-PRO running 10.5.7 with dual dvi ATI HD 3650. Tried your method and I only get the spinning beach ball. Tried with a USB and tried with a 50gb hard drive, same result. Booted with -v and saw some yellow text that said "failed" and then froze there. Booted with -x -v and saw same yellow text and froze at the spinning beach ball.

Which Motherboard are you using?

Can you please provide me the details on the yellow message that you received.....so that I can help if possible....

If possible please post the screen shot of the error message that you received

Also are you getting this error message before installing or after installing Snow Leopard.?

My motherboard is a ASUS P5Q PRO. Bought it from newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131299 I'm getting this error msg b4 I install SL. I will post pics later. Thanks for all ur hard work.

Edit: here's the pics

post-44570-1270431294_thumb.jpg

post-44570-1270431317_thumb.jpg

post-44570-1270431329_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Thanks for the awesome guide, tried it out today on my P5Q Deluxe. When booting from the USB drive with -v option, nothing tellling is displayed, but after it tries to switch the display-resolution for the main setup my screen stays black and my display goes to sleep.

Any ideas what i could try?

I already used various kext-configurations including NVenabler for 10.6 (got a Nvidia GTX285).

I know this might be a dumb question but does your Vid Card have 2 outputs? DVI and VGA? Try switching them? Seems like your system is looking for another VCard or its the wrong Kext file. I am running at Nvidia 6800 GTX on my P5Q Deluxe and i never even had to use the NVenabler. The SL image i used was from a retail package that i bought.

I know this might be a dumb question but does your Vid Card have 2 outputs? DVI and VGA? Try switching them? Seems like your system is looking for another VCard or its the wrong Kext file. I am running at Nvidia 6800 GTX on my P5Q Deluxe and i never even had to use the NVenabler. The SL image i used was from a retail package that i bought.

It was a valid idea, but switching to the 2nd DVI (or 1st...) unfortunately didn't resolve the issue.

I also had 10.5.4 running some time ago and it installed flawlessly without NVenabler.

EDIT: New situation, old problem.

I once again installed the myHack.pkg on the USB drive and chose the GraphicsDisabler (so that it would use a VESA mode), which fixed the installation issue. Once I tried to boot for the first time the screen was gone again.

Any ideas?

btw. nice Mac Pro replica case

Hi,

i want to install SL on a P5Q based board from asus (I have an asus V4-P5G45 barebone with a P5Q-EM-V-P5G45 board) but unfortunately I couldn't find any modified bios for that. Can someone please modify the latest bios (0405) for me or tell me how the bios can be modified. I look around but couldn't find any tutorial on modifying the bios.

Thx in advance

ak187

My motherboard is a ASUS P5Q PRO. Bought it from newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131299 I'm getting this error msg b4 I install SL. I will post pics later. Thanks for all ur hard work.

Edit: here's the pics

Remove the following kexts from the Extra > Extensions Folder

ElliotForceLegacyRTC.kext and AppleVIAATA.kext and then try to install Snow Leopard and let us know.......

Even then if it does not work then try using the FakeSMC from the myHackInstaller instead of the one that I included

Hi,

Thanks for the awesome guide, tried it out today on my P5Q Deluxe. When booting from the USB drive with -v option, nothing tellling is displayed, but after it tries to switch the display-resolution for the main setup my screen stays black and my display goes to sleep.

Any ideas what i could try?

I already used various kext-configurations including NVenabler for 10.6 (got a Nvidia GTX285).

Did you try the -x option while booting? try it and then let us know what happens

As promised some pics of my system.. attach_add.pngpost-198350-1270456425_thumb.jpgpost-198350-1270456436_thumb.jpgpost-198350-1270456451_thumb.jpgpost-198350-1270456457_thumb.jpgpost-198350-1270456469_thumb.jpg

Looks Good

Hi,

i want to install SL on a P5Q based board from asus (I have an asus V4-P5G45 barebone with a P5Q-EM-V-P5G45 board) but unfortunately I couldn't find any modified bios for that. Can someone please modify the latest bios (0405) for me or tell me how the bios can be modified. I look around but couldn't find any tutorial on modifying the bios.

Thx in advance

ak187

Request Shamux to modify the Bios for you

Mine looks like this..... The Black one....I have added a White apple Logo to it....Looks like a Black Mac

post-271572-1270503189_thumb.jpg

Did you try the -x option while booting? try it and then let us know what happens

Thanks for the tip!

Since the install runs through with the Graphics-disabler included in the Install-DVD Image I tried the -x option on the installed OS X.

As soon as the desktop should come up.. display goes blank again.

I suppose the myHack modifications are only used while booting to the setup. Once it's installed on the harddrive, the default options are used, without the Graphics-disabler... sounds strange to me but that's the only reason I can come up with. Correct me if i'm wrong please.

Thanks for the tip!

Since the install runs through with the Graphics-disabler included in the Install-DVD Image I tried the -x option on the installed OS X.

As soon as the desktop should come up.. display goes blank again.

I suppose the myHack modifications are only used while booting to the setup. Once it's installed on the harddrive, the default options are used, without the Graphics-disabler... sounds strange to me but that's the only reason I can come up with. Correct me if i'm wrong please.

I am thinking of creating a new guide without the myHackInstaller since I see that the success rate is just 60% with this Guide...... The new guide will be up this weekend....It will be somewhat similar to my Leopard 10.5.8 Retail Guide

Those who are not able to install Snow Leopard with this Guide... no need to worry..... my new Guide should work for you people....