• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

pierrandre

pierrandre

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
When I set the resolution into the boot.plist to a wide mode the screen change it's resolution while in verbose mode but, when the loginwindows apprears... it took the superior edge of the screen in 1024x768 stretched mode (I can see the verbose underneath, and the mouse is movable but not usable (draw a lot of straight lines)

private

private

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
I tried but doesn't work with my X200.
Any help??

phoenix3200

phoenix3200

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
pierrandre, Callisto is not designed to work in concert with (at the same time as) the boot.plist setting. You should remove either the Callisto drivers or the boot.plist setting.

private, you're not giving enough details to make an accurate assessment at all. About the only thing I can tell you based on your sig is that you probably do not have the Koverg QE/CI patch installed correctly, but even at that point I'm guessing.

pierrandre

pierrandre

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Yup I get that. But when I tried to change the resolution from the monitor control panel, I only get a blue screen.

Then I've done the radeon9700 plugin mod, but when I changed the resolution via the control panel, the screen remains blue as said previously.

I've tested with several callisto drivers. beta 8, beta 3, then beta 3 'special'.

only the beta 3 'special' have worked. but I only get a blue screen whatever I've tempted.

In the meantime my MacBook Pro was shipped. it works like a charm :construction:

asap18

asap18

O RLY?

• Donators
  • 1,423 posts
the x300se gets qe/ci out of the box in 10.4.5

private

private

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Phoenix,
Thanks for your answer, but me and others X200 owners we have already tried Koverg patch following the instructions, but didn't have results.

It seems that X200 is a very difficult integrated card to set.

Dr. Fresh

Dr. Fresh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
My X600 XT has QE/CI out of the box as well. Make sure you have a clean install of Myzar's patched 10.4.6 DVD. I used the callisto driver to get resolution switching, but it ended up killing my QE/CI. Changing "IONDRVFrameBuffer" to "CallistoFB" in ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin corrected this.

Cheers

xVariable

xVariable

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
OK, I'm getting some interesting results here. :D

My card is the ATI x850 XT Platinum Edition w/256 MB VRAM (Device ID 5D4D).

I install the latest Callisto drivers, and get full resolution and refresh rate switching. Then I perform the manual hex edit, and the Login screen won't load normally 9 times out of 10. Also, despite specifying a Desktop of 1600x1200x32 in System Preferences, OS X intially loads-up in what appears to be 1024x768. Then, at the login screen, the top 1/3 of the screen is the grey-silver of the login window (with the mouse pointer displaying/behaving normally), and the bottom 2/3 is black (refresh problem?). If I specify the resolution in the bootloader, it still won't load the login screen correctly 9/10 times; however, on the rare occasion, under the latter circumstances, the login screen loads, I login, and have QE/CI enabled.

The same thing happened when I patched the driver with Koverg's utility. The only differences here are 1) I can change resolutions now, 2) monitor sleep works, and 3) my card is being detected properly in System profiler now, instead of as a "VGA-compaitble controller" or whatever, as was the case when I was merely applying Koverg's patch. I should mention that I've noticed a corellation between rebooting into XP, modifying the display settings in some way, and then being able to successfully boot OS X with full acceleration. Maybe the state of the hardware is being changed somehow? OTOH, it could just be a coincidence...

Any advice guys? It seems like there's just one little thing out of place which, were I to fix it, would make OS X stable on my system. As it is, having to hard-reset the system frequently has corrupted my OS X partitions 3 times, including the large HFS+ partition I share between OS X and XP, requiring 3 reinstalls so far. :)

xVariable

xVariable

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
SUCCESS!!!!11!!0neowe!!!111 :P

I figured-out why OS X wasn't booting reliably. I booted from the install DVD, and verified the permissions. Apparently the 9700 kext and GA plugins' were incorrect. After repairing them, the system boots normally and consistently now. :)

Give that a try if you're having trouble. Now I have a reliable install of OS X with full video acceleration. About the only thing left to do is locate a compatible 5.1 surround sound card *w/digital out*, an' I'll be sittin' pretty. :)

EDIT: Oh, and I thought you might be interested to know that OS X takes less than 5 SECONDS to get to the Login screen, after pressing Enter at the boot loader. That's friggin crazy fast man! :P

zuras

zuras

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Ok, I have x850xt and I can't manage with it.
Can sombody tell what to do, whitch version of OS should I use, drivers, what to change in .kext files etc.
Please help. I really need to work with Final Cut and it recommends an accelerated graphic.

exscape

exscape

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
I need some help as well.
After lots of testing and reinstalling, I'm getting quite tired.

Callisto is fine, I'm running 1280x1024/85Hz as I'm writing this. :)
However, the driver won't work. I'm using the kext's (ATI* from the DVD, that is, ALL kext's that start with "ATI") from JaS 10.4.6 DVD (see comment above, the files are 10.4.5).

First/earlier, it simply wouldn't boot, it never loaded the GUI but stopped at the verbose boot screen instead.
Now, it does boot just fine (every time), but it seems like the hacked driver is never loaded! QE/CI are both unsupported, and the kext doesn't show up when I run kextstat.

I've tried both manual hex editing and koverg's patch.
Device ID = 554d, by the way.

Any ideas?

GameDr04

GameDr04

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, people seem to be throwing their problems on the table and getting fast responses so here goes... I tried, a few times, the instructions listed on the first page with my x600 Mobility and b008 but was left with a hanging black screen just before the OS's GUI loads. So, I tried b006 and everything seemed to have installed fine. QE/CI are both present and the kext was loaded perfectly - NO PERFORMANCE CHANGE. The graphics are still as slow as when I initially booted the OS.

It gets weirder.

When I go to change the resolution, I'm sent back to that same hanging black screen and must manually cut the power in order to have a working computer, again. Sometimes it goes on its own; other times, I have to single-click on another selectable resolution but either way, it goes without fail.

What's frustrating is somebody mentioned a few posts ago that he got his x600 working fine with the b008 release..!

DevID: 3150

Any thoughts?

exscape

exscape

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hmmm, I've tracked it down a bit more.
When the driver loads (i.e. everything is set up OK with device IDs etc), my screen gets scrambled.

Here's a picture: http://tinyurl.com/z48lw
That area up to the left is the apple menu, by the way...

Any ideas as to why this happens?
As I said (above), I use 10.4.5 ATI files, from the JaS DVD.

Help! :P

EDIT:
WTF!!
Now I DO get mouse tearing, the driver IS loaded (checked using kextstat) but STILL no QE/CI!!

System Profiler says this:

Chipset Model: Radeon X800 UM
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x554d
Revision ID: 0x0000
Displays:
E92f+:
Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 85 Hz
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Not Supported
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Why? :( :)

EDIT:
IT WORKS!!
I'm not sure what did it, this might have helped though:
http://forum.insanel...showtopic=25335

Damn, it's soooo smooth now! Beautiful ;)

zmckin2007

zmckin2007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
When I tried to edit the info.plist in the contents folder in the kext I get an error that I can't re-save because the file is read only. Is there anyway to reset the "read only" permissions on the Radeon9700GA.kext? That's my only hang up so far :laser:

exscape

exscape

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

When I tried to edit the info.plist in the contents folder in the kext I get an error that I can't re-save because the file is read only. Is there anyway to reset the "read only" permissions on the Radeon9700GA.kext? That's my only hang up so far :(

Applications -> Terminal
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/

Should do the trick.
If not (I think OS X has some other read only attribute), edit the file using "sudo nano (path)" instead. Ctrl+X for save is pretty much all you have to know to use it.

zmckin2007

zmckin2007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Thanks exscape, using nano did the trick ^^

zmckin2007

zmckin2007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Having an error now while trying to edit the contents of the MAC OS folder of ATI9700.kext. It's telling me once again that this is a read only when i try to hex edit the contents....I have no idea as to get around it, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rammjet

Rammjet

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,302 posts

Having an error now while trying to edit the contents of the MAC OS folder of ATI9700.kext. It's telling me once again that this is a read only when i try to hex edit the contents....I have no idea as to get around it, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Drag the ATI9700.kext to the Desktop where it will make a copy. Hex edit the copy. Drag it back to the Extensions folder. You will get 2 dialogs. The first will say you can't do that, but click the "Authenticate" button and give your password. The second dialog will ask if you want to replace the existing kext. Click "yes".

Go to the Utilities folder and run Disk Utility. Click on your OSX partition on the left and Repair Permissions on the right.

zmckin2007

zmckin2007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
thanks, will try it in a bit :gun:

lacion

lacion

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i finally did it !!! hehe both are supported and resolution changing working :D thanks to this guide

ID 3150
X600 mobility

in a sony vaio A517S

i`l put some screen later on

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy