[GUIDE] *NEW* Snow Leopard Retail on ASUS P6T Deluxe V1&V2

dgobe

1,773 posts in this topic

this hasnt been discussed here but for the people who, like me, care about speedstep, this dsdt and installer DO speedstep properly. observation based on hardware wattmeter.

my snow leopard system takes same amount of watts as w7 when idle. to be precise, my whole setup takes 130watts (most bios settings by default on auto, so bios is actually lowering cpu volts when idle below the intel specified values)

Thanks to those involved for the hard work, after many months of trying I finally have a successful install complete. I have questions regarding multiple hard drives.

I installed according to the instructions in the first post and got my ethernet working with the terminal commands provided on the first page.

I performed the system updates to make sure they would work.

After the system seemed stable I powered it down and hooked up the other two hard drives I use. The hard drives are formatted as NTFS. When I got to the bootloader it showed both of the hard drives I plugged in. I entered the OS and one of the drives showed on the desktop (1 TB WD) but the other one did not show on desktop (1.5TB Seagate)

Disk utility showed both hard drives, but the partition on the 1.5TB Seagate was grayed out.

After I rebooted, again, the bootloader shows all three of my hard drives. However, once in the OS, I can no longer see either one of the drives in finder. Disk Utility still sees both hard drives, but their partitions are grayed out.

Are there known issues with hooking up multiple hard drives? All I can find about it searching is people trying to get write access. I need to get read access first.

Asus P6T Deluxe V2

i7 920

6gb ram (corsair i think, but i forget)

9800gt

LG DVD+RW

320GB WD as OS drive (Bay 1)

1.0TB WD NTFS (Bay 2)

1.5TB Seagate NTFS (Bay 5)

I reformatted the 1TB WD drive to HFS no problem, and it is visible now, unsurprisingly.

However, I cannot get it to recognize the NTFS partition (only partition) of the 1.5TB Seagate drive.

Again, Chameleon does see it at startup and Disk Utility recognizes the drive as well I just cannot get read access to the NTFS partition.

Update:

Used SATA to USB adapter to hook hard drive in question to my unibody macbook. It read it no problem and using ntfs65 I can also edit files to the drive.

Used USB adapter to hook it to the hackintosh desktop and I get the pop up message saying this computer cannot read the drive.

In OSX i can not read the 3 TB raid0 volume on my raid set, however it can read the 200GB raid5 volume with my photos. It might be that there are just some compability issues in some circumstances with large drives. (Both of them are formatted NTFS).

very weird since i updated to the newer versions from this thread... after a while seems to vary in time... my magic mouse keeps on scrolling right... turn off unplug the bluetooth nothing helps and i have to reset...

it doesn't happen straight off the reboot but will after an hour or so... what is different in this that could effect it???

WOW, it's MAGIC! It even lets you double post within one minute....that's normally not possible.

Seriously though, the installer creates a backup in the root /P6TInstallerBackupDATE-TIME

You can pull your old DSDT from /P6TInstallerBackupDATE-TIME/Extra/DSDT.aml and swap it into /Extra to see if it makes a difference. That's the only thing that changed that might cause something like that. Could be the hardware too.

WOW, it's MAGIC! It even lets you double post within one minute....that's normally not possible.

Seriously though, the installer creates a backup in the root /P6TInstallerBackupDATE-TIME

You can pull your old DSDT from /P6TInstallerBackupDATE-TIME/Extra/DSDT.aml and swap it into /Extra to see if it makes a difference. That's the only thing that changed that might cause something like that. Could be the hardware too.

what double post!!!

ok will try it...

edit - the dsdt is dated 2nd october 2009 in the root directory... and there isnt an old one in the back up files... but there is a new one in extra... what to do???

I swear there were two posts, I even got two e-mail notifications. It disappeared!

If it's not in the backup then it wasn't there when you ran the installer. The installer just moves the existing /Extra folder in it's entirety to the backup folder. Do you have an /Extra/DSDT.DATE-TIME? If you do, that's the old one. If not you can grab one from the end of the old thread. One of Fabio's should be there somewhere.

I swear there were two posts, I even got two e-mail notifications. It disappeared!

If it's not in the backup then it wasn't there when you ran the installer. The installer just moves the existing /Extra folder in it's entirety to the backup folder. Do you have an /Extra/DSDT.DATE-TIME? If you do, that's the old one. If not you can grab one from the end of the old thread. One of Fabio's should be there somewhere.

the new one is in the extra folder now...

old one is in the root directory...

why is the new one in extra and not the root??? do i simply remove the old one from the root and then new one will be used...

OK. I usually put it in Extra, but the root is another valid location. Just rename the one in Extra and move the one from the root into Extra.

Although maybe it was picking up the one in the root first and not using the new one in Extra? You can figure it out from here.

Edit: I'll adjust the next installer to look for a dsdt.aml or DSDT.aml in the root and move it into the backup folder.

Thank you soooooooo much dude! This is FANTASTIC! I've searched for months and tried for months to get Leopard installed, i came across this thread, went out tonight, bought Snow Leopard for £25, followed your instructions and everything just......WORKED. I haven't had to anything. My GFX works great, USB Audio Controller just worked, Network just worked. It's amazing!

Just can't thank you enough!!! Genius!! Thank you!

Just one question (sorry for double-posting).

As you might guess everything just went out fine for me -_-

I have an 80gb IDE Drive for SL and a 1tb S-ATA drive for my windows 7 installation.

Chameleon works just great so that dual booting is no problem at all.

The only thing that would be even greater is if I could see my S-ATA drive in Mac OS.

I checked the System-Profiler but I can only see my IDE drive.

Do you have any idea which kext could helpt with that or should I just let it be <_< ?

Thanks in advance!

OK. I usually put it in Extra, but the root is another valid location. Just rename the one in Extra and move the one from the root into Extra.

Although maybe it was picking up the one in the root first and not using the new one in Extra? You can figure it out from here.

Edit: I'll adjust the next installer to look for a dsdt.aml or DSDT.aml in the root and move it into the backup folder.

cool glad that helped you there...

hmm still having mouse problems with any working dsdt...

must be my dongle or mouse... how to test either...

hi

my sl installation went on very smooth,and everythings were working except wifi.but after the update to 10.6.2 whene I boot the pc it boot till the spinning wheel on and comes the message in various languages to reboot the pc.what went wrong after the update

asus p6t deluxe v2

i7 920

ati 4870x2

thank you

hi

my sl installation went on very smooth,and everythings were working except wifi.but after the update to 10.6.2 whene I boot the pc it boot till the spinning wheel on and comes the message in various languages to reboot the pc.what went wrong after the update

asus p6t deluxe v2

i7 920

ati 4870x2

thank you

With certain video cards you have to be careful on updates. netkas is the man when it comes to graphics card support, check out this page:

http://netkas.org/?p=315

You can ignore everything but the stuff about your video card.

I`m here too!! The guide looks cool! I will try and also...finalizing the dam raid 0 guide. I told my friends and they are pulling me in 50 ways to explain them how to make it work...at least 10 of my friends have bought Highpoint raid recently, thinking of making a deal with them lol I can some extra money from them lol.....nevermin, Happy to be here!

First things first... DAAAAAAAAAMMMN!!!!! This is absolutely insanely easy to do with this walk-through! Dude, you abso-frikin-lutely ROCK! I've been working at this, on this and other machines for almost 2 weeks now and the easiest before this was my EeePC 1000HE, where the guide author did a similar thing by bunching up the patches and made a custom boot132 disk. But there were still several other steps and didn't have an awesome implementation of Chameleon2.

Yours was literally as easy as 1 - 2 - 3. I read the guide a few times before starting, mostly because I was like, no, it can't be this easy, I'm missing something. But it WAS! Of course, I did the marking of the partition as active in the initial post install actions, right after installing your package. I'm just in Awe! I'm looking for the donate button!

So, I do have just one issue, and I'm guessing it shouldn't be TOO hard to fix. Per your guide I set my bios to AHCI instead of RAID. The problem is that my Windows 7 installation is on 2 hard drives that are in a RAID 1 - they are separate from the Mac drive. I tried booting into W7 as is, but it blue screened on boot. I set the bios to RAID again, and it booted normal. However, when I boot into SL, I get the boot fail icon on the apple. Reseting back to AHCI allows SL to boot fine again. So essentially, I'm up and running, but would like to be able to keep the bios on RAID so I don't have to go into the bios to decide what to boot. BTW, your Chameleon install picks up W7 no matter what! Oh, and I would also like to configure Chameleon to choose a default OS, or last OS automatically after a time-out period. That would be nice. But I think I'll try to do that myself by RTFM. LOL

So, if you know of a way to get my SL to accept the RAID setting (even though the Mac disk is not a RAID disk), PLEASE let me know!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm not worthy! (think of bill and ted)

Just one question (sorry for double-posting).

As you might guess everything just went out fine for me :)

I have an 80gb IDE Drive for SL and a 1tb S-ATA drive for my windows 7 installation.

Chameleon works just great so that dual booting is no problem at all.

The only thing that would be even greater is if I could see my S-ATA drive in Mac OS.

I checked the System-Profiler but I can only see my IDE drive.

Do you have any idea which kext could helpt with that or should I just let it be :wacko: ?

Thanks in advance!

Nevermind - I simply forgot to switch to AHCI instead of IDE!

By the way I have the P6T SE not the deluxe and everything just worked fine except of the audio because it has ALC1200 not ALC888!

For those of you who also have the SE Version use the kext you find here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t=0&start=0

greets

But there were still several other steps and didn't have an awesome implementation of Chameleon2.

The boot loader is a blend of Chameleon and PC EFI with patches from AsereBLN. All credit to him for his work. These patches will be in the next release of Chameleon and PC EFI.

I've try everything in your guidelines and it is still not working.

This is what i have:

1. Asus p6t deluxe v2 bios version = 0707

2. 6GB RAM

3. 2 x Nvidia GTX 285 SLI

4. Retail Snow Leopard DVD

5. 2 x SATA HD (the one i'm trying to install is locate at SATA 0) 2nd HD is SATA 1)

6. 1 x SATA DVD locate slot SATA 2

7. Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz

Please help me how to do the installation.

THanks.

Just wanted to Thank dgobe & iFabio for an excellent tutorial. I am a newbie when it comes to hackintosh. I followed your guide it works great only issue was my Logitech PS2 keyboard would not work in SL changed keyboard out to an USB logitech and now its flawless. All updates to SL are downloaded and installed. This install is making my friend that just purchase an 27" iMac green with envy.. LOL ;)