Drivers for Nvidia Geforce 9400 GT - Success

MacNutty

352 posts in this topic

After three days of struggle to get QE and other support back, finally I succeeded. I am posting the kexts for all members having the same graphics card. I would also like to thank this forum for providing me essential guidelines to make this possible. Here are the kexts, just install them with kexthelper.

Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT drivers

NOTE:

Works on Leopard 10.5.5 and above.

For those interested in a non-EFI solution using NV injectors to get QE support on 10.5.5+. The key to getting QE on 10.5.5 or above is to rm -Rf Ge* and NVDA* kexts, reboot using standard Apple drivers and then most IMPORTANTLY install the 9f23 10.5.5 Graphic Update. Then re-mod you device ID in the GeForce.kext NVDANVx0Hal.kext (which depends on your 6/7/8/9xxx card) & NVDAResman.kext, if it's not one of the standard ones in there. eg my 6800GS (0x00c010de) isn't. Then using either NVinject or NVdarwin kext add your PCI device id (I added one device ID without mask and other with 0x0000ffff for my card) and mod the ProbeScore to 0 as mentioned in other threads. Then find your NVCAP and edit the string using Plist Edit Pro (basically I created a DOS Boot RAMdisk with NVFlash and saved ROM then used NVCAP Maker to obtain my cards specific NVCAP see NVinject website for procedure/dls).

I personally used NVdarwin rather than NVinject as it automagically displays the model of GeForce, but I had to edit RAM string for 512MB RAM.

Obviously make sure chmod -R 755 the NVinject or NVdarwin kext depending on which you use. Presume other injectors may work like NVKush etc..

rm Extensions.mkext and reboot with -f -v

Now you should have full QE support back for your card. Above will make more sense to those that know about editing Info.plist files and already had QE support in 10.5.2-4 using NV injectors but suddenly doesn't work with 10.5.5 or 10.5.6.

Hope it helps those having problems

Yep. 24Hz :P This is on my media center than runs Plex, and all my media is Blu-Ray rips. Blu-Ray is 24fps (23.9-something-or-other to be exact), so in outputting 24Hz to my HD screen, it eliminates 3:2 pulldown which creates stutter in panning and fast scenes when outputting a 60Hz signal. This is all beyond the scope of this topic, but for more info see: http://www.projectorpeople.com/resources/pulldown.asp

Can your lcd handle multiples of 23.9xxx for a refresh rate?

I still cannot get dual monitors to work on the 9500gt. Single works great, plug in DVI or VGA, or DVI-VGA adapter while running or before booting, and one turns off, the other is usually black, or blue, or sometimes my wallpaper with garbled icons and nothing else.

• 4 weeks later...

ok at first i thought that i got it working 100% but latley i noticed that i was getting a lot of kernal panics

and it didnt do that before i Got my graphics card "Working". And i was just wondering if anyone could work with me to get everything working fully? below i will post some screen shots and a link to download the kext's that i am using.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1217029991823

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?y0eyiytno1w

5z18ba.jpg

2v0h8j6.jpg

Dude

Im in the same boat as you man. After installing the NVIDIA drivers and created the EFI strings, the SP shows everything works. I even change the strings for the NVinject and its IOprobe but still nothing seems to be working.

My SP

Graphics by NVIDIA:

Chipset Model: Graphics by NVIDIA

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0641

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: NVinject 0.2.1

Displays:

Display Connector:

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

When i try to run the xbench, weak results came in

Quartz Graphics Test 133.92

Line 105.71 7.04 Klines/sec [50% alpha]

Rectangle 149.11 44.52 Krects/sec [50% alpha]

Circle 127.87 10.42 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]

Bezier 100.02 2.52 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]

Text 298.48 18.67 Kchars/sec

I tried to give it a test drive with Need for Speed and other games but all i get is pitch black. Even when playing Videos on VLC, nothing seems to be working. Even when i change the resolution, it panic and all i get is blue screen, only when i reboot the comp then i get back the previous resolution.

What do u think it is tazs ? im kind of new in this so sorry if i could not give you any help but i seriously want to solve this problem cause i just bought this Nvidia 9400GT 1GB for this hehe.

Also another thing is that, i had 2 hard disk before testing any games. After running the game, my 2nd hard disk just simply cannot mount anymore. It shows of cause in the bios but it doesnt mount on the os

This is my Open Gl Extension viewer. Same like yours TAZpost-374280-1234278764_thumb.png

Dude

Im in the same boat as you man. After installing the NVIDIA drivers and created the EFI strings, the SP shows everything works. I even change the strings for the NVinject and its IOprobe but still nothing seems to be working.

My SP

Graphics by NVIDIA:

Chipset Model: Graphics by NVIDIA

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Device ID: 0x0641

ROM Revision: NVinject 0.2.1

Displays:

Display Connector:

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

When i try to run the xbench, weak results came in

Quartz Graphics Test 133.92

Line 105.71 7.04 Klines/sec [50% alpha]

Rectangle 149.11 44.52 Krects/sec [50% alpha]

Circle 127.87 10.42 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]

Bezier 100.02 2.52 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]

Text 298.48 18.67 Kchars/sec

I tried to give it a test drive with Need for Speed and other games but all i get is pitch black. Even when playing Videos on VLC, nothing seems to be working. Even when i change the resolution, it panic and all i get is blue screen, only when i reboot the comp then i get back the previous resolution.

What do u think it is tazs ? im kind of new in this so sorry if i could not give you any help but i seriously want to solve this problem cause i just bought this Nvidia 9400GT 1GB for this hehe.

Also another thing is that, i had 2 hard disk before testing any games. After running the game, my 2nd hard disk just simply cannot mount anymore. It shows of cause in the bios but it doesnt mount on the os

This is my Open Gl Extension viewer. Same like yours TAZpost-374280-1234278764_thumb.png

whell at least im not the only one having this problem

I've got my 9400 GT fully working with CI/QE now thanks to tips from Fireofanor, Taz, and most importantly Aqua-Mac who's created an installer with the latest Apple nVidia driver release that updates drivers for the new cards/GPUs. That is the key.

Short guide on how I did it:

1) Download and install Aqua-Mac's nVidia driver installer. Don't think you need to remove exisiting nVidia kexts. Don't reboot yet, though installer will ask you to.

2) Remove NVinject,kext and NVkush.kext if you have them installed.

3) Create EFI/GFX string in com.apple.Boot.plist as suggested in previous posts. I find the easiest way to do this is via OSX86Tools.

a. Use Add EFI Strings/Boot Flag on main menu. Select GFX strings option.

b. Scroll to bottom of list, select Custom nVidia GeForce.

c. For name model enter "NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT".

d. Select the amount of memory on your card.

e. Select the display output that matches your card. For my PNY Verto, it's dual DVI-I ports.

f. The plist info and hex string for your card will pop up. Select and copy the hex string for safety, but use the "Import String to Boot Editor" option. Click Apply Change on the next screen that pops up, no need to add other flags or strings.

4) Use repair disk permissions and clear kext cache on OSX86Tools main menu or do this any way you like.

5) Check the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist file for safety sake using terminal and nano or vi just to make sure the string was inserted properly. If not, use the version you copied to the clipboard and add the "device-properties" key and value manually. (Sudo to edit file.)

6) Reboot and enjoy the results! No mods to driver kexts with device ids or anything else is required.

My SP output now:

NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Device ID: 0x042c

ROM Revision: NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT OpenGL Engine [EFI]

Displays:

VA1930wm:

Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz

QuartzGL: Supported

Display Connector:

This time i followed this way and it worked 80%. Got my CI/QE working but still cant run any games. BUT vlc and DVD player works fine. Getting there i suppose. I also tried loading NVinject but it will change my Ram from 1GB to 512 . How is your status tazs ?

This time i followed this way and it worked 80%. Got my CI/QE working but still cant run any games. BUT vlc and DVD player works fine. Getting there i suppose. I also tried loading NVinject but it will change my Ram from 1GB to 512 . How is your status tazs ?

i got graphics working 100% yesterday and i figured out that the kernal panics where from a bad amd updater i got off of piratebay

but zip your kexts and upload them to mediafire and post the link and i will work it them and i think i can get yours working 100% too Oh and Download the pref pane called "Secretes" http://secrets.blacktree.com/ and go to the system tab on the left and scroll down and enable quartz open Gl and Disable Beame Sync

Are you using DVI port ? if it's, then try analog.. games will work fine

I wanted to add:

a ) a big Thanks for compiling these drivers, they worked great for me.

b ) My device was the BFG nVidia GeForce 9400 GT 512MB version PCI express 2 ( if anyone wants to know.)

System Info: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R,

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

4Gb OCZ PC 8500 RAM

I wanted to add:

a ) a big Thanks for compiling these drivers, they worked great for me.

b ) My device was the BFG nVidia GeForce 9400 GT 512MB version PCI express 2 ( if anyone wants to know.)

System Info: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R,

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

4Gb OCZ PC 8500 RAM

-------------

will you tell me how did you do it? I Have iDeneb Leopard 10.5.6 installation and have same card as you but I get always the black screen. or may be you tell me which drivers to select from the installations list during the settup Leopard 10.5.6 (iDeneb).

many thanks.

i got graphics working 100% yesterday and i figured out that the kernal panics where from a bad amd updater i got off of piratebay

but zip your kexts and upload them to mediafire and post the link and i will work it them and i think i can get yours working 100% too Oh and Download the pref pane called "Secretes" http://secrets.blacktree.com/ and go to the system tab on the left and scroll down and enable quartz open Gl and Disable Beame Sync

Hi tazs. Still suffering from this problem here. Are you still around ? Just need to know which kext you need. Thanks for your time dude.

I personally used NVdarwin rather than NVinject as it automagically displays the model of GeForce, but I had to edit RAM string for 512MB RAM.

I'm confuse...

I saw that you have a 512mb GFX.

Did you flashed it using NVFLASH ( by upload a modified ROM to the GFX) ?

If you didn't flashed the GFX - how much GFX-RAM did VESA reported ? ( at darwin screen ) ?

Hi,

i think about buying this passive 9400 with dvi + hdmi:

Gainward BLISS GeForce 9400 GT, 512MB DDR2, VGA, DVI, HDMI, PCIe 2.0

Does anyone here in the thread use 2 DIGITAL monitors on a 9400? i don´t want to use the vga port, but the DVI and the HDMI at the same time for 2 monitors.

thanks you all :)

Thanks to everyone who has posted information and help in this thread..

Unfortunately after trying pretty much every option, I was unable to get QE working on an ASUS EN9400GT 512MB with iPC 10.5.6. I tried:

-EFI string alone (Created in OSX86Tools, saved to XML, modified NVCAP which was extracted from the cards BIOS, loaded in EFI studio to get hex)

-Macnutty's drivers (modified and unmodified, NVInject caused crash on boot)

-NVIDIA 9000 series drivers installed (both modified and unmodified plists)

-EFI string and NVIDIA 9000 series drivers

-NVInject (caused crash on bootup, couldnt get working)

-NVDarwin (worked but no QE)

-NVKush (worked but no QE)

So I went and bought a cheaper ASUS EN8400GS but still had trouble getting to work. EVENTUALLY got QE working with NVIDIA 9000 series drivers and NVDarwin installed.

I can now install Logic!!!

I'll keep checking back to see if people have more luck because I'd still like to use the 9400...

Thanks to everyone who has posted information and help in this thread..

Unfortunately after trying pretty much every option, I was unable to get QE working on an ASUS EN9400GT 512MB with iPC 10.5.6. I tried:

-EFI string alone (Created in OSX86Tools, saved to XML, modified NVCAP which was extracted from the cards BIOS, loaded in EFI studio to get hex)

-Macnutty's drivers (modified and unmodified, NVInject caused crash on boot)

-NVIDIA 9000 series drivers installed (both modified and unmodified plists)

-EFI string and NVIDIA 9000 series drivers

-NVInject (caused crash on bootup, couldnt get working)

-NVDarwin (worked but no QE)

-NVKush (worked but no QE)

So I went and bought a cheaper ASUS EN8400GS but still had trouble getting to work. EVENTUALLY got QE working with NVIDIA 9000 series drivers and NVDarwin installed.

I can now install Logic!!!

I'll keep checking back to see if people have more luck because I'd still like to use the 9400...

white poney post your defice id and i will make you some kext's i finally have this kext making thing down 100%

The problem I have is if I switch inputs on my TV, then go back to my Mac input, I end up with a blue screen.

Hi,

Please could you or someone explain how switch inputs?

I would like to see my movies on tv but dont found out how do that.

Thanks in advance.

[]s

VultU

Curitiba - PR - Brasil

Thanks Taz, It's worth a shot!

Device ID: 0x064110de

NVCAP: 04000000 00000300 0c000000 00000007 00000000

ok im done rember you must have 10.5.5 or higher for this to work!!!!

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?y0eyiytno1w

install them with kexthelper b7

then repair permissions with os x 86 tools

then clear kext cache

then reboot and they should work