AppleIntelE1000e.kext for 10.8/10.7/10.6/10.5

hnak

751 posts in this topic

Hi, gaspimp,

I was not even aware of the 2.4.14's existence. Thaks.

I have checked the changes and difference from Linux source.

I noticed some difference in defines.h/ich8lan.c/ich8lan.h, which still define some obsolete (defined in 2.3, removed in 2.4) values.

Do you still need them ? 

If not, I will remove them ( and corresponding parts in AppleIntelE100e.cpp ) and put your code into the repository.

we don't need them sir 

We Haswell folk appreciate you

Did you have to do anything to make it work with Haswell ?

I have a SandyBridge system (GA-B75-D3V) which runs 10.6 ... 10.9, where the same Snow binary works on all of them.

I hear some compatibility problems on Mavericks.

we don't need them sir 

Did you make any special changes for Mavericks ? I could see nothing special in source files.

I have a SandyBridge system (GA-B75-D3V) which runs 10.6 ... 10.9, where the same Snow binary works on all of them.

Boot args always needs -f to get it working or else it won't get a DHCP addy from the router

I always get DHCP addresses.

Setting the IP manually works ?

This just isn't me.

If you see the latest messages in that thread another person complained about it.

I am certain this is not your fault. I think that this was accidentally done when gaspimp combined the code.

And no, setting manual address doesn't solve the issue.

Does this driver support WOL yet? Last time i checked hnak was waiting for Lnx2Mac to open source his Realtek driver.

WOL? I hate to get off topic, but I gotta say this: I recommend that you don't use WOL. It is a security nightmare.

WOL? I hate to get off topic, but I gotta say this: I recommend that you don't use WOL. It is a security nightmare.

I need WOL (aka Wake for Network Access) so that my AppleTV's can wake my hack when the kids want to watch movies. Otherwise it's a pain to go wake up the computer every time they want to use the AppleTVs.

I need WOL (aka Wake for Network Access) so that my AppleTV's can wake my hack when the kids want to watch movies. Otherwise it's a pain to go wake up the computer every time they want to use the AppleTVs.

Ahh, I understand.

Repost from my thread:

Found the reasoning for the problem of not being able to obtain DHCP addys on boot with the ethernet kext(gaspimps):

Its an NVRAM issue. Open terminal and type "sudo nvram -c" and reboot

Lnx2Mac has not opened his source yet, as far as I know.

I installed a Mountain Lion Server on a low-power  hardware ( Celeron E3200 ) and turned on 24 hours for my Apple TV.

Hi,

Just installed 2.4.14 on Z87-UD3H (153b), seems fine :)

02/07/13 21:31:22,000 kernel[0]: AppleIntelE1000e(Info): Interrupt Throttling Rate (ints/sec) set to dynamic conservative mode
02/07/13 21:31:22,000 kernel[0]: AppleIntelE1000e(Info): changing MTU from 0 to 1500
02/07/13 21:31:22,000 kernel[0]: AppleIntelE1000e(Info): AppleIntelE1000e:WOL = 2
02/07/13 21:31:27,000 kernel[0]: AppleIntelE1000e: Ethernet address 94:de:80:77:15:78
02/07/13 21:33:01,000 kernel[0]: considerRebuildOfPrelinkedKernel com.insanelymac.driver.AppleIntelE1000e triggered rebuild

Just an interrogation about the last message.

Thanks a lot.

FYI for those who're wondering what's new in this release:

ChangeLog for 2.4.14

====================

* Add support for I218 "Ultra-Low Power" (ULP) mode enabled in S3/4 and in S0 when Runtime Power Management (RPM) is enabled

* Fix - do not access MAC registers when RPM suspended

* Fix - workaround a Tx hang inssue at 100Half on I218

* Fix - disable ASPM L1 on 82583

* Cleanup - remove unnecessary workaround for 82578

* Cleanup/refactor - Runtime Power Management flow

* Fix - device would repeatedly cycle D0->D3 when RPM enabled and the interface was administratively downed

* Fix - do not wake from RPM to read PHY status

* Fix - release mutex lock only if it has been initially acquired on 82574/82583

* Upstream - commit 73e3dd6b45c4c870fc2641eb04c24e3f12dab1e0 (e1000e: fix numeric overflow in phc settime method)

* Upstream - commit 80d5c3689b886308247da295a228a54df49a44f6 (net: vlan: prepare for 802.1ad VLAN filtering offload)

* Upstream - commit f646968f8f7c624587de729115d802372b9063dd (net: vlan: rename NETIF_F_HW_VLAN_ feature flags to NETIF_F_HW_VLAN_CTAG_)

* Upstream - commit 86a9bad3ab6b6f858fd4443b48738cabbb6d094c (net: vlan: add protocol argument to packet tagging functions)

* Fix - AMT connection drops after driver unload if large MTU configured

* Upstream - commit 37287fae7e4506fb0822523587c769783164cdd6 (e1000e: Add missing dma_mapping_error-call in e1000_alloc_jumbo_rx_buffers)

* Fix - low throughput using 4K jumbo MTU

* Fix - error checking in initialization flow for I218

* Fix - ethtool interrogating device takes it out of RPM D3 briefly

* Refactor/fix system hibernate flow

* Fix - automatically enable EEE LPI in I217/I218 hardware when in Sx

* Cleanup - whitespace, indentation and lines exceeding 80 characters

* Fix - Resolve strict checkpatch USLEEP_RANGE checks

* Upstream - commit e60b22c5b7e59db09a7c9490b1e132c7e49ae904 (e1000e: fix accessing to suspended device)

* Upstream - commit 66148babe728f3e00e13c56f6b0ecf325abd80da (e1000e: fix runtime power management transitions)

* Upstream - commit 4e0855dff094b0d56d6b5b271e0ce7851cc1e063 (e1000e: fix pci-device enable-counter balance)

* Fix - do not enable EEE on 82579/I217/I218 for speeds in which EEE is not advertised

* Fix - IEEE MMD register 3.1 at wrong EMI address on 82579

source http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15817/eng/readmefirst.txt

Hi guys. I'm having a weird issue with intel 82579V. The thing is dhcp is not working. Not even with manual settings. kextstat -all shows that the kext its loaded.

On windows it works fine though. 

10.8.4 / Chimera 2.1

Any hint?

Thanks in advance.

Did you make any special changes for Mavericks ? I could see nothing special in source files.

Nope - I just compiled it against the OS X 10.9 SDK. Works great. I haven't had any of the DHCP issues experienced by others, but it sounds like doing an nvram -c works (I didn't even know hackintosh had NVRAM, is it emulated by the bootloader??)

I merged 2.4.14 because I read on a bunch of linux forums that the i217V chip on Haswell boards didn't work properly before 2.4.14 even though 2.3 claimed to support it. Most Haswell folks run Mavericks because 10.8.5 with Haswell support came out later than Mavericks.

Also on a somewhat unrelated note - OS X 10.9 has an Intel 82580 driver. I'm fairly certain this didn't exist in 10.8? I have a few boards with i350 chipsets but I don't run OS X on them. Maybe I'll give it a try for fun.

hnak

I recommend that you scrap gaspimps submission from the source. Please go back one version.

He put that together but he is not a programmer. If you could go back to your source and include the revised source code from Intel that would solve the issues we have.

• 2 weeks later...

hnak

I recommend that you scrap gaspimps submission from the source. Please go back one version.

He put that together but he is not a programmer. If you could go back to your source and include the revised source code from Intel that would solve the issues we have.

I didn't take the submission as is. I actually compared 2.4.14 Linux driver with the previous version and incorporated them as usual, which means copying most of the files without any modification.

I don' t have a DHCP problem in 10.6/7/8 ( SandyBridge ).

• 3 weeks later...

Hello guys

I have installed Mac OS X Mountain Lion Server (10.8.4) on Intel Modular Server with VMware esxi 5.1

The server works fin, but the network speed is not stable. 

The System Log shows continuous "apsd failed to get client cert"

In Virutal Machine Settings -> Adapter Type "E1000" selected

ML Loads the follow kext: /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext

Is the correct kext loaded, or what can i do to speedup the Network?

P.S.: Previously the Server was at 10.7.5, there was no Error.

Regards 

Florian

--> Solved: I installed second network adapter with Adapter Type "E1000e" -> This Adapter use a other Driver in OSX (Intel82574L.kext). Now the network speed works normally.

• 1 month later...

hy

i'm using that latest driver.. I see it's loaded in the kextstat as 

com.insanelymac.driver.AppleE1000e (2.4.14)

mine is 82579v 

my mobo is Asus maximus Gene V

the problem is that it's only 100Mb Full Duplex.. never 1000 !

if I force manually the setup .. it run 100 and I see it in the System.log log.

have you really verified that?? 

how to have really gigabit lan??

bye

have you really verified that?? 

Yes.

I have 82572(EXPI9400PT), 82574(EXPI9301CT), 82579(DZ68DB onboard) and all of them link at 1Gbps.

Is it new in 2.4.14, i.e. you never had the problem in previous versions ?

Prev releases never works.. it showed ..connected.. but no traffic

Only the latest works..but only 100

I cannot fix your problem, but you may try:

1. Remove /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist  and all the adapters in the network control panel, then reboot and add ethernet adapters from scratch,

2. Check your machine in different environments ( cables/switches/routers, operating systems, or adapters if available ),

3. Build the driver from the source and debug.

No. I had the gene V mobo a few days ago.. no project..

Hnak: i'll try.but I'm nit a developer..I'm afraid to compile or manage a source.

It's there a way to rally check the internal lan speed.. I suppose the text written in the system log is 100.. but this is always written even if I force negotiation to 1000