AppleIntelE1000e.kext for 10.8/10.7/10.6/10.5

hnak

751 posts in this topic

I updated to 10.8.2 and the new kext , youtube and all is working very fine!

Thanks hnak !

dmesg show me this :

AppleIntelE1000e(Info): Interrupt Throttling Rate (ints/sec) set to dynamic conservative mode
AppleIntelE1000e(Info): changing MTU from 0 to 1500
AppleIntelE1000e(Info): Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: Rx/Tx
AppleIntelE1000e(Info): AppleIntelE1000e:WOL = 2

82571EB (0x10dc8086) is supported by Apple ? By Intel82574L.kext ?

From SystemInformation.app:

ethernet:

Type: Ethernet Controller

Bus: PCI

Vendor ID: 0x8086

Device ID: 0x105e

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x103c

Subsystem ID: 0x7044

Revision ID: 0x0006

Link Width: x4

BSD name: en3

Kext name: AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext

Location: //System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext

Version: 3.1.1b1

I got it working on 10.8.2.

For everyone who has a Asus p8z68v-pro motherboard and textbeast didn't work, try the following.

I replaced the AppleIntelE1000e.text which is located at /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntelE1000e.kext with the 2.1.7 text from the front page. (not the one at /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelE1000e.kext, that one is 2.1.7 aswel but system report says it's using the version 2.0.0 one in IONetworkingFamily.kext).

Reboot and use UseKernelCache=0 for first reboot.

Now everything is fine and Youtube, Skype and Counter Strike are working without any lag and choke!

Thanks!

From SystemInformation.app:

ethernet:

Device ID: 0x105e

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x103c

Subsystem ID: 0x7044

Revision ID: 0x0006

Link Width: x4

BSD name: en3

Kext name: AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext

Location: //System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext

Version: 3.1.1b1

I did not know that the driver supports 82571, as 8254x are PCI cards. Should I remove the ID in the next release ?

From my system report

Intel(R) 82579V PCI-E Gigabit:
 Name: ethernet
 Slot: Internal
 Device ID: 0x1503
 Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1043
 Subsystem ID: 0x849c
 Revision ID: 0x0005
 BSD name: en0
 Kext name: AppleIntelE1000e.kext
 Location: /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntelE1000e.kext
 Version: 2.1.7

I did not know that the driver supports 82571, as 8254x are PCI cards. Should I remove the ID in the next release ?

Yes, please. Then we will see if the HP card is the reason for the Kernel Panic in the kext.

You can do it now by editing AppleIntelE1000e.kext/Contents/info.plist.

I removed the 0x105e8086 from the info.plist.

Repaired Disk Permissions to rebuild the kernel cache.

Still the same Kernel Panic like in the screen shot of my first posting.

If I remove the HP NC360T it works.

If I remove the AppleIntelE1000e.kext then the NC360T works, but not my onboard Ethernet port.

I removed the 0x105e8086 from the info.plist.

Repaired Disk Permissions to rebuild the kernel cache.

Still the same Kernel Panic like in the screen shot of my first posting.

If I remove the HP NC360T it works.

If I remove the AppleIntelE1000e.kext then the NC360T works, but not my onboard Ethernet port.

If the ID ( = 0x105e8086) does not exist in Info.plist, AppleIntelE1000e.kext will never be loaded unless you have another Intel NIC - which you have onboard. What's the ID of the NIC ?

Or, are they sharing the same IRQ ?

If the ID ( = 0x105e8086) does not exist in Info.plist, AppleIntelE1000e.kext will never be loaded unless you have another Intel NIC - which you have onboard. What's the ID of the NIC ?

I understand this and don't understand why the KP still occurs, can you see anything from the Kernel Panic screenshoot or can I enable any more debug logs ?

I understand and don't understand why the KP still occurs, can you see anything from the Kernel Panic screenshoot or can I enable any more debug logs ?

You should build the kext from the source ( "Debug" build ) to enable verbose logging, possibly adding the hardware ID output .

hnak, I noticed that AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext is loading here even though my 82579V is using your kext (it doesn't work OOTB with the Apple kext). Is this normal?

AppleIntel8254XEthernet is ( if the meaning whose name implies is correct) not supposed to work with 82579V ( or other PCI express cards ).

I am actually surprised to know that 82571EB works with the stock driver. The kext is loaded whenever PCI ethernet class device is detected ( as it does not explicitly specify "PCIPrimaryMatch" ), so the kind of supported device is completely up to the driver's code.

I updated to 10.8.2 and the new kext , youtube and all is working very fine!

Thanks hnak !

dmesg show me this :

AppleIntelE1000e(Info): Interrupt Throttling Rate (ints/sec) set to dynamic conservative mode
AppleIntelE1000e(Info): changing MTU from 0 to 1500
AppleIntelE1000e(Info): Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: Rx/Tx
AppleIntelE1000e(Info): AppleIntelE1000e:WOL = 2

I noticed that you have WoL (or I assume that is what it means). I do not have a WoL choice in Energy Saver in System Preferences. Is this a problem with my DSDT or is WoL only enabled for some of the chipsets that E1000E supports?

I have an X79 P9x79 Pro with 82579V running 10.7.5.

(Thanks Hnak! This driver is working great for me)

I noticed that you have WoL (or I assume that is what it means). I do not have a WoL choice in Energy Saver in System Preferences. Is this a problem with my DSDT or is WoL only enabled for some of the chipsets that E1000E supports?

I have an X79 P9x79 Pro with 82579V running 10.7.5.

(Thanks Hnak! This driver is working great for me)

It is a WOL setting value set by BIOS. I display the value just for reference.
  • Like 1

The issue was (probably) that Mac OS X did not check the actual value of UDP checksum once the driver reports the sum is verified - until 10.8.

Intel hardware "complements the payload checksum" ( as written in the original source file) , so it must be undo-ed for the host which re-checks the value for consistency.

I simply disabled hardware UDP checksum and let the OS do it.

Thanks for the change hnak. One question: did you commit the code? I'm looking at SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/p/osx86drivers/code/45/log/) and the last commit is from late June. Am i missing something?

hnak

This is off-topic. But i was just wondering if you can port this Ralink 2860 linux driver to work on OSX x32 and x64.

Last time they updated this was for Leopard.

Thank You :)

It is practically impossible, as :

1. I do not have the hardware

2. There's no sample source for USB network driver ( not like PCI).

If the source for old Mac OS X driver is available, it should not be too difficult...