TP-Link TL-WN951N with Snow Leopard working!

Jursis

94 posts in this topic

I just don't get the point of running 10.6.1 with 10.6.2 network kext, why not just run 10.6.2 and not mess with the networking kexts.

I just can't seem to get 10.6.2 running on my GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L rev.1 it always trashes everything and my install gets hosed. I'll back up this image and try 10.6.2 again, but for now this is an awesome mac and everything finally works for me.

pci card get recognized, but i get a kernel panic everytime i want to enable airport or choose a network...

any advice?

OK I got this to work in 64 bit with 10.6.1

In addition to the AtherosFix.kext I also needed to use a new IO80211Family.kext which was posted by himac59 over in the "Snow Leopard + DWA 552/556" thread.

With the (Netkas) Atheros21, 32/64bits, see www.netkas.com its from beta 10.6.2

IO80211Family.kext

Once these two were installed my card was recognized and I was able to configure it in the network preferences.

I apologize if I didn't post and credit properly but this actually works and I can get rid of my Edimax USB adapter that kept on disconnecting.

pci card get recognized, but i get a kernel panic everytime i want to enable airport or choose a network...

any advice?

that seems like tplink wifi card is not supported for 802.11a spec..where all the airport card supports for 802.11a (correct me if Im wrong)

here is info from tplink website about wn951n spec

http://www.tp-link.com/products/productDet...del=TL%2DWN951N

Edit : sorry I bought it yesyerday....works great in Loepard and Snow Leopard...Thanks Jursis :)

I can't get this to work. I have a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 at 10.6.2 and it doesn't recognize the card by default. I installed the the atheros fix - nothing. I also installed the IO80211Family.kext and then it sees the card. It seems fine but when I connect to our network I get a kernel panic. Any suggestions?

The router is a linksys WRT54G. I would think it would be OK, but connecting gives the panics, so...

I can't get this to work. I have a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 at 10.6.2 and it doesn't recognize the card by default. I installed the the atheros fix - nothing. I also installed the IO80211Family.kext and then it sees the card. It seems fine but when I connect to our network I get a kernel panic. Any suggestions?

The router is a linksys WRT54G. I would think it would be OK, but connecting gives the panics, so...

errmm.. can you say what error you getting with KP

boot with debug=0x100

and take photo of your kernel panic

So very frustrating...

I tried to switch PCI slots, with no result. I've tried a reinstall with nothing but the two kexts listed above, and that is no help as well. The moment I try to connect to the network it panics.

I used myHack installer... would that matter? Other then that, I can think of no hindrance to the airport card other then the motherboard. Any ideas?

Hi guys, i've got some trouble with this card too...

The card is not recognized as Airport, is not listed in the 'PCI Cards' sections in 'my computer', but we can found it in "Ethernet cards", showed as 'PCI' (so why not in PCI Cards??).

I tried add/remove IOFamily kexts and Atheros, without any changes.

Im running SL in 32bits, and i can't switch PCI slot because of a big graphic card.

BUT it's running pretty well on Win 7.

Some ideas there? :censored2:

Hi guys, i've got some trouble with this card too...

The card is not recognized as Airport, is not listed in the 'PCI Cards' sections in 'my computer', but we can found it in "Ethernet cards", showed as 'PCI' (so why not in PCI Cards??).

I tried add/remove IOFamily kexts and Atheros, without any changes.

Im running SL in 32bits, and i can't switch PCI slot because of a big graphic card.

BUT it's running pretty well on Win 7.

Some ideas there? ;)

try using small video card, to fit wifi in other pci

run kext utility and then reboot

This is frustrating. I have tried 64 and 32 with all varieties of kexts listed here as well as both of my PCI slots. All result with seeing the card, getting a great wifi signal, and then having the computer freeze once I launch safari. I usually get to the second page before it freezes. Also - this is a complete freeze, I do not get the kernel panic info.

Any thoughts? I may just be sending this back to Amazon.

Build: MSI p55-gd65, core i7 860, 8 GB Ram, Snow Leopard, GTS 250

This is frustrating. I have tried 64 and 32 with all varieties of kexts listed here as well as both of my PCI slots. All result with seeing the card, getting a great wifi signal, and then having the computer freeze once I launch safari. I usually get to the second page before it freezes. Also - this is a complete freeze, I do not get the kernel panic info.

Any thoughts? I may just be sending this back to Amazon.

Build: MSI p55-gd65, core i7 860, 8 GB Ram, Snow Leopard, GTS 250

hmmm.. if it's not kernel panic, then maybe it's your bios settings, try to play around

it seems any i5/i7 hackintosh gets kernel panics with PCI based atheros ethernet devices.

I have a dlink DWA547 and it does the exact same thing. The same hardware and system disk did not KP when it was running with a P45 chipset and E8400 processor. Upgraded to an i7 and now it crashes. Setting Hyperthreading off and CPUS=1 stops it crashing but screws performance.

Suspect we need 10.6.3 to fix it as the i7 iMacs have a different build of OSX than 10.6.2

• 2 weeks later...

Works with my TP Link TL-WN851N after installing the AtherosFix and IO8211Family kexts (both in the first post). I used Kext Utility (new 64-bit version) to install them.

Confirmed working in 10.6.2 64-bit on my Gigabyte EP45-UD3R build. The card was only $20 on Amazon!

Thanks for this topic!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
it seems any i5/i7 hackintosh gets kernel panics with PCI based atheros ethernet devices.

I have a dlink DWA547 and it does the exact same thing. The same hardware and system disk did not KP when it was running with a P45 chipset and E8400 processor. Upgraded to an i7 and now it crashes. Setting Hyperthreading off and CPUS=1 stops it crashing but screws performance.

Suspect we need 10.6.3 to fix it as the i7 iMacs have a different build of OSX than 10.6.2

Same here. WMP300N v2 KP with i5. Maybe we need to wait to 10.6.3 as you said.