Asus Eee PC 1201N

kadath

220 posts in this topic

iHack: The touchpad's multi touch capabilities are not being used (assuming it has any). You can, however use two finger scrolling.

WmMays: Make sure you either 1) prepare the boot drive with a 10.6 host, or replace the extra files with the ones I've provided.

Also, boot with -v and let me know what the panic is.

Ive followed Merklort instructions in a Hackintosh 10.5.x so used his extra folder and worked! I have no audio, and i havent yet installed the dell wifi card i bought for it, but works pretty fine. :D

My only problem is that now i cant install windows 7 in other partition because i can't boot from my usb windows 7 install, also i don´t have an external dvd drive. Any Idea?

Ive followed Merklort instructions in a Hackintosh 10.5.x so used his extra folder and worked! I have no audio, and i havent yet installed the dell wifi card i bought for it, but works pretty fine. :)

My only problem is that now i cant install windows 7 in other partition because i can't boot from my usb windows 7 install, also i don´t have an external dvd drive. Any Idea?

I'm enjoying mine with Meklort great support, Nvidia Ion rocks with HD 1080p, still looking audio drivers thats works well, no dell wifi card yet, in the meantime I hoping to get my netgear WG111v2 to work with SL 6.0 ( looking for drivers that works) anyone? Already patch dvdplayback file for external drive use, Dual boot with Win7 with easyBCD....

Installed the Dell 1510 wifi card without any trouble, snow leopard recognized it inmediately as new "airport". Thankkz Merklort! it would be just great to have sound and it will be awesome! Any kexts that partially works?

Thanks!

Any chance of some pictures of the insides of this thing? No one has yet bothered with some tear down pcis, would be nice to see (not getting mine til the 18th of January)

Any chance of some pictures of the insides of this thing? No one has yet bothered with some tear down pcis, would be nice to see (not getting mine til the 18th of January)

I'll second that, waiting for my dell 1510 to arrive...

Installed the Dell 1510 wifi card without any trouble, snow leopard recognized it inmediately as new "airport". Thankkz Merklort! it would be just great to have sound and it will be awesome! Any kexts that partially works?

Thanks!

Not sure if this helps or not, but the new VoodooHDA v0.2.5.3 is out and available here. HTH

Got time to open mine today, preparing for dell 1510 card swap and bigger hard drive, went fairly easy, remove keyboard first (push 4 notches located @ esc,f5, f11,del tabs), carefully lift keyboard,detached keyboard ribbon and touchpad, I've use a razor blade to partially lift warranty sticker without breaking it, removed all screws incuding bottom base. You can push 3 tabs on the inside edges of the keyboard tray where pgup and pgdn tabs are located, get a credit card, slide it thru the edges carefully it should snap all the way around. Attached inside pictures of my asus 1201n. Have fun...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35733400@N08/4238454093/

Got time to open mine today, preparing for dell 1510 card swap and bigger hard drive, went fairly easy, remove keyboard first (push 4 notches located @ esc,f5, f11,del tabs), carefully lift keyboard,detached keyboard ribbon and touchpad, I've use a razor blade to partially lift warranty sticker without breaking it, removed all screws incuding bottom base. You can push 3 tabs on the inside edges of the keyboard tray where pgup and pgdn tabs are located, get a credit card, slide it thru the edges carefully it should snap all the way around. Attached inside pictures of my asus 1201n. Have fun...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35733400@N08/4238454093/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35733400@N08/4238454111/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35733400@N08/4238454085/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35733400@N08/4238454103/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35733400@N08/4238454095/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35733400@N08/4239532730/

Awesome, thanks dude:) One more question, the ram as standard, 2 x 1GB sticks i assume? Also, any idea if it's DDR2 667Mhz, or DDR2 800Mhz ram?

Awesome, thanks dude:) One more question, the ram as standard, 2 x 1GB sticks i assume? Also, any idea if it's DDR2 667Mhz, or DDR2 800Mhz ram?

2 1gb sticks come stock. Marked "ASint DDRII 1GB-800"

Can someone please tell me what's actually not working on this eeepc?

I have it running pretty much flawlessly:

Works:

• sleep
  • restart/shutdown (with evoreboot.kext)
  • bluetooth
  • two-finger scrolling
  • SD reader
  • full GPU accleration (QE/CI)
  • 1080p playback
  • webcam
  • hyperthreading
  • AHCI
  • x86_64 kernel

Doesn't work

• stock networking cards (both wireless and wired)
  • audio (VoodooHDA works but sounds absolutely horrible)
  • hotkeys for volume, brightness, etc.

I'd say if you're looking to buy a hackintosh netbook you really can't go wrong with this. In a nutshell, compatibility is absolutely amazing on this thing, and 10.6 runs basically as smooth as it does my MacBook Pro - even two-scrolling and other little niceties work wonderfully.

It's almost perfect once you swap out the WLAN card for something else, although I'm still looking for an audio solution though since VoodooHDA is incredibly horrible on this unfortunately.

Anyone tired to see what's the max ram this thing will take? I've seen that it should be able to take 8GB, but that the chipset can only support 3.5 or something? Anyone got 4GB of ram to test out and see? I'll be ordering mine this week, wondering whether I bother getting 2 x 2GB sticks with it or not. Also, anyone recommend a good replacement WiFi card for this? Preferably a Broadcom, as I can flash that to become a proper Apple Airport :P

I don't have mine yet, but I know a person who does and this is what he says about it:

FWIW, the machine comes with 2 GB as 2 x 1 GB of 800 MHz RAM, so an upgrade path would be 4 GB as 2 x 2 GB, with the removed RAM being useful for, say, a Toshiba or other machine which accepts SO-DIMMs.

He has been tied up on another project (Shuttle x27d), but he does have Snow Leopard up and running on the Asus at this time.

Hi folks,

I am a newbie to this forum. Thanks to all of you I have a 1201n that is working nicely with Mac OS X 10.6.

I wanted to summarize what I did to get it working.

1) Use an existing Snow Leopard Apple iMac to burn an image using my Snow Leopard disc onto an 8 gb usb drive

2) Ran NetbookBootMaker on the usb drive

3) Tried to install using the above usb drive - this did NOT work - I got kernel panics

4) Downloaded meklorts copy of his /Extra folder and copied its contents into the /Extras folder on the usb drive

5) Installed from the usb drive - this WORKED!

6) Used a USB DVD drive to install the dev tools from my leopard disc

I tried to use a Rosewill RNX-N1MAC USB Wireless N stick with the 1201n and noticed that the device lights for power did not come on. I checked using "USB Prober" and saw that the USB device was not showing up. I tried installing the latest drivers (1.7.1) from the Rosewill website and after the installer ran and I hit the "Restart" button the system crashed and would not restart (kept getting panics).

So I redid steps 1 - 6 AND once I had a running system used Carbon Copy Cloner to back it up onto an external 250 Gb bootable USB drive. HAH! I hope to never have to do steps 1 - 6 again.

Downloaded an app called unpkg and looked into the contents of the Rosewill driver and saw that there was a kext for the RT2870 wireless chipset. I then used kextutil to see if I could get the kext to load - I found that the problem was that the kext was for a 32 bit architecture and used System Profiler to verify that we are running a 64 bit kernel so 32 bit kexts will not work with it. I then found that RALink had new drivers for its usb wireless sticks and found that V2.0.1.0 drivers dated 12/31/2009 that listed 10.6 support! What a great Xmas present! I downloaded them and they are working! My Rosewill usb wireless N card works perfectly!

What isn't working - audio, restart, onboard wireless network card

I am returning an HP Mini 311 that I was running OS X on. It had working audio and I am hoping the sound solution that worked on it could be used on our 1201ns.

I'd like to try to get more memory into this thing too. I've read that there is a 3.5 gb addressing limitation with the HP Minis chipset but I am not sure that the chipset in this thing has that limitation.

Thanks to meklort and all the others who have helped with this project.

Meklort wrote: "- Both the 64bit kernel and 32bit kernel work fine. If you plan on using the 64bit version, don't upgrade to 10.6.2 yet."

Why not upgrade to 10.6.2? Does it use a 32 bit kernel?

Have you guys done the upgrade 10.6.2? Is everything working? I may back up my HD and try it.

Anyone tired to see what's the max ram this thing will take? I've seen that it should be able to take 8GB, but that the chipset can only support 3.5 or something? Anyone got 4GB of ram to test out and see? I'll be ordering mine this week, wondering whether I bother getting 2 x 2GB sticks with it or not. Also, anyone recommend a good replacement WiFi card for this? Preferably a Broadcom, as I can flash that to become a proper Apple Airport ;)

Got 4gb ram, working excellent under Win7,just waiting for my dsdt.aml to be patch to work with 4gb ram. I don't know how to patch it manually myself, get dell 1510 mini pci-e half card works plug n play recognized as Apple Airport.

I have it running pretty much flawlessly:

Works:

• sleep
  • restart/shutdown (with evoreboot.kext)
  • bluetooth
  • two-finger scrolling
  • SD reader
  • full GPU accleration (QE/CI)
  • 1080p playback
  • webcam
  • hyperthreading
  • AHCI
  • x86_64 kernel

Doesn't work

• stock networking cards (both wireless and wired)
  • audio (VoodooHDA works but sounds absolutely horrible)
  • hotkeys for volume, brightness, etc.

I'd say if you're looking to buy a hackintosh netbook you really can't go wrong with this. In a nutshell, compatibility is absolutely amazing on this thing, and 10.6 runs basically as smooth as it does my MacBook Pro - even two-scrolling and other little niceties work wonderfully.

It's almost perfect once you swap out the WLAN card for something else, although I'm still looking for an audio solution though since VoodooHDA is incredibly horrible on this unfortunately.

Thanks a lot, I have a 1000h that runs perfectly well under OS X 10.5. I was just curious to know if new Asus netbooks can do the same :)

Brightness can be fixed with DSDT method I think, other hotkeys can be replaced by Spark.

Sad to hear VoodooHDA can't bring a nice sound.

10.6.2 kernel does not support the Atom processor. You need to use the kernel from 10.6.0. HTH

I upgraded to 10.6.2 and 64-bit works perfectly with this kernel.

Has wepstep23's hdaidt.kext been tried for sound yet? This was the one used to get it working on the HP Mini 311 which had the same horrible sound using VoodooHDA. It's available here.

I tried this (and pretty much every other ION-platform audio kext) and it doesn't work. ;) I'm still trying to get audio working though and will update this if I get it to work well.

So which audio codec is used in the 1201N? At least I can help search until I get mine. ;)

EDIT: Went through and re-read the 1201n thread. Must have missed this before.

In post #47 meklort wrote:

No audio kext is loaded. You can use VoodooHDA, or you can find a version of AppleHDA that work with the 885 codec.

Knowing this, I found this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...php/t71257.html

May not be much, but it's a start.

Also found this related to ALC 885 DSDT search:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t161950.html