• Please log in to reply
457 replies to this topic

twilight.lee

twilight.lee

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Does any one success on Zotac MiniPC MAGHD-ND01 ?

Will514

Will514

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, Thanks for the awesome tutorial. Install of SL, 10.6.2 update and Chameleon work fine but I'm just running into one problem. I can't seem to move/copy the "boot" and/or the "mach_kernel" files into the dir (Volumes/VolName). Says I can't move the boot or mach_kernel file because they are invisible.

The computer that i'm using to install everything with is a Macbook Pro running 10.5.8. Does it have to be on SL as well?

Hope someone can help out. Thanks.

EDIT:
OK. Nevermind. Figured it out. I set show hidden files in Terminal and then deleted to boot and mach_kernel files and then moved them into to volumes/volName directory. can't just drag and drop.

kserxes

kserxes

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

first off awesome work eugene2k! With your package I was able to get nearly everything working with 10.6.2 on my Packard Bell imax mini (ION board, Atom 230)... except for shut down and sleep.

Rebooting works with no problems, but when I try to shut down my machine it actually seems like it would (monitor turns off, usb hdd turns power led off) but the power led will stay on and I can also hear the fan spinning. The only way to get it out of this state is to push the power button for several seconds.
Nearly the same happens when I try to set it to sleep except that my usb hdd doesn't turn off its power led. Same thing I have to push the power button for several seconds to turn it off. But when turning it back on again I get the fan spinning at max for eternity and the only way to stop this is to detach the ac adapter. After re-attaching it will boot normally.

I've tried lots of things (no USB devices attached, qoopz kernel, EvoReboot instead of OpenHaltRestart, VoodooPower, etc. etc.) but nothing helped.

Maybe any of you guys could give me a hint what else I could look into or what could be the reason that I can't shut down or sleep?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Juergen

Will514

Will514

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i've had this idea of putting together a media center for my TV for months. I was inspired by a tutorial on Instructables (http://www.instructa...intendo-NES-PC/) about building a NES PC.

Here are my pictures of the rig with the Zotac Ion running 10.6.2. thanks to eugene2k.

Attached File  _MG_8942.jpg   132.99KB   160 downloadsAttached File  _MG_8946.jpg   209.25KB   180 downloads
Attached File  _MG_8949.jpg   146.65KB   146 downloadsAttached File  _MG_8952.jpg   119.22KB   190 downloads
Attached File  _MG_8964.jpg   80.42KB   137 downloadsAttached File  _MG_8965.jpg   82.49KB   154 downloads

nimbusfx

nimbusfx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Is there any progress on a solution to get 5.1 audio via optical (or hdmi) to work?

mrrw

mrrw

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Is there any progress on a solution to get 5.1 audio via optical (or hdmi) to work?

Install the new Perian version (http://www.perian.org) and follow its instructions.

Open the Perian preference panel and select "quadraphonic output" (or something like that)... then follow the blog link with the tutorial...

It seems to work quite well... thou some receivers are incompatible.

I haven't tested yet, sorry.

Good luck.

liupingguo

liupingguo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Great news!
based on a thread of dual nVidia card (PCI and PCI-E) that I read before, I successfully add a Nvidia 8400GS PCI-E card to my Zotac ion-F-E, featuring Atom 330+9400M+PCI Express x16. what a waste if PCI-E is empty while we already paid for it and the power supply as well! Remember, Macbook Pro has the 9400M (PCI)+9600GT(PCI-E), we really should go insane!

Ordered Zotac 8400GS 512m low profile (no preference, just want to match Zotac brand) from newegg, since my Antec Skeleton mini-90 gives only 90w power, can not really afford 8500 or above. people said 8400GS takes only 25w power even fully loaded, well that's the perfect thing for upgrade.

Benefit:
Ion supports Phyx, with 8400GS and up, for my case, Phyx is enabled under Windows 7, but I didn't see much improvement, if any....some ripped 1080P movies are still unwatchable, I'm so confused by the control pannel, says enable Phyx processing to 8400GS or ION, is it a add on or a enabling? Whatever, I test both in the score system gave me the same result 3.5 and 5.4 for graphics...

In SL, I added EFI string to the boot.plst, no luck, God knows why. Installed the NVdarwin, choose 8400GS 512M, and voila! Be sure in Bois, you need to choose internal GPU, not PCI-E, and your monitors must be connected to onboard ones. turns out the DVI and HDMI can be used as dual extended screen, cool. The overall graphic performance...ummmm, almost the same as it is under Windows 7, but slightly better. If some of you can give it a try, share your result!

Attached Files

DrNWM

DrNWM

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi eugene k2,

A great thank, this makes me happy !
It is a really nice work! and works like you said nearly out of the "mac mini" box. ;)
(And with a patched kernel - in the tree available - the update 10.6.2 runs with 4 (virtual) cores)

Only things that I miss are sound capabilities. (HDMI sound and headphone mic - for VoIP)
Are there new developements ?

Greatings

DrNWM

ballin805

ballin805

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
This is great but CRT? why not do that to a flat panel LCD like the imac G4 it has a much better resolution and it has a more appealing design than the CRT but Great Work!
if any one is interested in this check this one out.
http://www.insanelym...howtopic=194409

jonpb

jonpb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks very much for the boot file. But I have a problem, not only with this boot file but with various other ones:

kernel panic @

PowerManagment/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment-90/pmProcessor.c:210
   Debugger called: <panic>

I tried changing the S-ATA setting to ACHI but that didn't change things.
Using Zotac IONITX-A-U, the "U" is, apparently, just a region code.

Thanks for any advice.

bigDvette

bigDvette

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Still can't get this working. I do not have a Mac, but I do have a Virtual Machine running 10.5.7.

The steps I used were,

Partioned Disk, GUID, Journaled

Installed SL from DMG by navigating to System/Installation/Packages and running OSInstall.mpkg

(errors out unless I remove printer drivers from install)

Tried to install 10.6.2 combo update but it won't install because I guess I'm not running it from a SL machine.

Installed Chameleon,

Replace /boot and added /Extras and replace mach_kernel.

PUt in Zotac and I get a panic divide by zero error.

Started over and this time installed HAzards MAC SL OSX that has an option to install 10.6.1 and 10.6.2 in the installer (also installs Chameleon and has the Atom patch built in), isntall goes fine. Then I went ahead for good measure and appled the ion fixes from thread and the mach_kernel.

Exactly same problem.

Disks are set at AHCI and USB is Auto, I can't figure out what other BIOS changes may be needed to teh zotac board and wonder if that may be he problem.

Thanks for any help.

Sporti

Sporti

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
thanks for making OSX work on the Zotac Board! :wacko:
Had to set Sata Mode to AHCI and then everything worked really fine except for a few things.

Rebooting works with no problems, but when I try to shut down my machine it actually seems like it would (monitor turns off, usb hdd turns power led off) but the power led will stay on and I can also hear the fan spinning. The only way to get it out of this state is to push the power button for several seconds.
Nearly the same happens when I try to set it to sleep except that my usb hdd doesn't turn off its power led. Same thing I have to push the power button for several seconds to turn it off. But when turning it back on again I get the fan spinning at max for eternity and the only way to stop this is to detach the ac adapter. After re-attaching it will boot normally.

Same here. But still no solution.
Not going to sleep is no problem, cause that machine has to run, not to sleep. :P
If someone could get shut down to work, that would be really nice.

Looks like there is no chance to get HD Videos to work fine? With that Videos working it would be the perfect System. :D

Best Regards from Germany!

jonpb

jonpb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanks very much for the boot file. But I have a problem, not only with this boot file but with various other ones:

kernel panic @

PowerManagment/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment-90/pmProcessor.c:210
		Debugger called: <panic>

I tried changing the S-ATA setting to ACHI but that didn't change things.
Using Zotac IONITX-A-U, the "U" is, apparently, just a region code.

Thanks for any advice.

Ok, I solved this, I didn't realize that I had to overwrite mach_kernel with the patch on the install image usb drive. Now I don't get the kernel panic, but it just hangs at the apple logo, the installer doesn't start. Could this be because I have the upgrade DVD, not the one with iLife and iWork? or is it something else?

Thanks

bigDvette

bigDvette

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
After finally figuring out how to install using instruction from a VM I had to install first, I am now up and running and typing this on the Hackintosh.

I few items of note that I think finally made this work.

I originally downloaded the mach_kernel patch from the step by step instruction on page 1 in like post 20 something. Interestingly, that is not the same download location as the link in the very first post. Until I replaced it with the mach_kernel from the very first post link, I was getting a kernel panic within 2 seconds of booting.

After that, I was still getting a panic as soon as the Darwin OSX started to load. In a last ditch effort, I decided to go in to the BIOS and load SAFE MODE defaults. Not the other defaults. Then I only changed USB Legacy to Auto and USB 2.0 to high speed, changed the video ram to 512KB in the southbridge chipset settings, made sure disks were AHCI and that was it. Then I did a reboot and up it came.

A few mistakes I made (some related to installing from VM). If you install 10.6 to your VM, you have to apply the 10.6.2 update to the VM before it will let you install to the secondary physical disk you are prepping for the IONITX board. This caused a problem as I didn't know I had to install a sleepenabler.kext patch. This left my VM dead.

I had luckily (on about the 4th time through) installed 10.6 on the new disk before I installed the 10.6.2 update to the VM disk. So I removed the VM disk and booted directly from the physical disk, setting up the language, keyboard ...

Once in to the VM, I installed 10.6.2 combo update and without letting it reboot, I installed Chameleon and the ionitx_boot_v2 files and the patched mach_kernel (obviously from above I didn't to the right one the first time). Then like a bone head I installed the sleepenabler.kext not wanting to have the same problem I had with the VM disk install.

When I pulled the drive, and put it in the zotac, it was getting a panic right away. Removed sleepenabler.kext and it went a bit further. replace mach_kernel again and it went further, reset bios as above and I was finally in.

Hope this helps someone.

jonpb

jonpb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

After that, I was still getting a panic as soon as the Darwin OSX started to load. In a last ditch effort, I decided to go in to the BIOS and load SAFE MODE defaults. Not the other defaults. Then I only changed USB Legacy to Auto and USB 2.0 to high speed, changed the video ram to 512KB in the southbridge chipset settings, made sure disks were AHCI and that was it. Then I did a reboot and up it came.

Thanks for the post, I tried your settings and it sill hangs for me at the apple logo using a usb boot drive. One I thing I can't find is where to set the VRAM to 512KB. I see an iGPU frame buffer setting that can be set to 512MB (256MB default) but no VRAM I can set to 512KB.

bigDvette

bigDvette

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I believe the iGPU frame buffer is the right setting and it is the one I set. Have you tried hitting space bar and booting in Verbose to see where it hangs. Is your whole OSX on the USB drive or are you booting off it? If you are booting only you shouldn't have to do that since the boot files are on the hard drive. If you are running off the USB drive I have no suggestions other than to try taking the USB case apart and using the Sata on the MB. I took a Buffalo 250gb usb drive apart and it was sata and that is what I used internally.

jonpb

jonpb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm attempting to boot from the USB stick to perform the install. Following LifeHacker's guide I restored the install DVD to the usb drive and made it bootable using Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684. That gave me a kernel panic on boot. Then I found this thread and replaced the boot file and Extra foler with this one and replaced the mach_kernel with the patch, following eugene k2's instructions. Chameleon loads and I press enter on my usb drive in Chameleon, there is no kernel panic but it just hangs at the apple logo.

I have an esata drive I can try.

Thanks

bigDvette

bigDvette

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Do you have a windows machine handy? IF so you can do what I did and install SL on a VM and then do your install from the VM. Might be easier. I think you can't boot the installer from the hacked kernel. I tried that route several time to no avail.

gonel

gonel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Good Job ,I have a HTPC with the MCP7A-ION board too.I'll try it.

zizux

zizux

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Is there no way to get it to boot via usb?

I only have a laptop with leopard on it, I guess I could go buy a drive enclosure and do it that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy