Full solution for Zotac IONITX Atom 330 for 10.6.x SL

458 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

For those of you with IONITX A-E boards, here’s a complete package with all my modifications. I hope some of you find it useful.

UPDATE: V2 is out.

=== Features ===

I spent some time trying to make my Zotac IONITX A-E board as close to Mac Mini as possible and fix most of problems with the ION chipset.

Current set of settings and KEXTs provides the following features:

* Supports video card, ethernet, wi-fi, USB, audio (ALC866) out of the box

* Supports native power management, no need for disabler.kext

* Sleep and Safe Sleep (hibernate) work fine, even with 4Gb of RAM

* Ethernet and Video are recognized correctly under their own names

* CPU is recognized as “Core 2 Duo”

* USB works fine, it is safe to set USB 2.0 Controller into HiSpeed mode in BIOS and enable USB Legacy devices

* No need for UUID / PlatformUUID kexts

* CPU temperatures are recognized by iStat and similar software

* AHCI controller is recognized under its own name

* ALC662 audio is working fine (although only one analog input is available). Digital Out, Front-panel Out, and Green Jack Out are OK.

* ...I haven’t tried multiple monitor setups...

* Fixes PC-EFI CPU Identification bug

=== BIOS setup ===

I set VRAM to 512kBytes in BIOS, USB Legacy: auto, USB 2.0 Controller: HiSpeed. HyperThreading is -enabled-.

My board has 4Gb of RAM memory. If your configuration differs, you may need to change the DSDT.

=== Installation ===

* Place /Extra files to your /Extra folder

* Edit /Extra/smbios.plist: set your memory serials if you wish, change your Mac Mini serial, if you wish

* Place “boot” into /

* If you are running 10.6.2, get 10.6.2 ‘patched’ kernel from [1]

(Vanilla 10.6.2 kernel won’t boot with Atom).

=== My mods in details ===

=== Chameleon ===

I updated Chameleon boot loader based on 2.0-RC3-r658-PC-EFI10.5 sources with 3-rd party and my own fixes.

1. added a fix for “USB Legacy” BIOS switch + HiSpeed USB [2]

In /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist USBLegacyOff=yes is set by default.

It should be possible to boot OS X with USB Legacy = Auto; USB 2.0 Controller: HiSpeed BIOS settings.

(Note: don’t try “Wait=yes” in Chameleon if you are using USB keyboard. You will not be able to press any key after USB Legacy support is turned off).

2. added a fix for more than 2Gb of RAM (safe sleep) [3]

Updated hfs.c.

If more than 2Gb of RAM were installed, Chameleon would fail to restore sleepimage.

This is now fixed.

3. new PC-EFI 10.5 identifies ATOM incorrectly - you will get ‘Unknown’ processor in ‘About my Mac’.

In order to fix this, the easiest way is to add SMcputype = 768 into smbios.plist to force “Core 2 Duo” ID.

(Chameleon authors should fix this later).

[V2]: fixed bug in PC-EFI platform.c code: CPU should be recognized properly now without smbios.plist's SMcputype.

4. added ION 9400 graphics card ID (it is no longer identified as “Unknown”)

(This works if GraphicsEnabler is set to ‘yes’).

=== /Extra/Extensions ===

1. added PCI ID for AHCI Port Controller (into /Extra/AHCIPortInjector.kext)

(should be recognized as MCP79 AHCI instead of Unknown Standard AHCI Controller)

2. ALC662.kext injector from shoarthing

This enables audio output from both front and rear jacks. Works fine for me.

3. fakesmc.kext:

This is a special version of fakesmc with support for CPU temperature reading. [4]

4. DSDT has all the necessary fixes, so, there is no need for Disabler.kext of NullCPUPowerManagement.kext etc..

5. OS X gets UUID from the Mac address of the board, that’s why PlatformUUID.kext or UUID.kext are not necessary.

6. OpenHaltRestart.kext is still necessary. If you cannot reboot, replace it with EvOreboot.kext from [5]

=== DSDT changes ===

1. Added mods from banini_jeque, shoarthing, wrc4:

- removed CPU aliases

- added check for ‘Darwin’ OS

- aded DTGP

- HDAC changed into HDEF

- added _DSM stuff for ALC662 (codec-id etc.), although this is not necessary [ALC662.kext injector works fine]

- added PWRB fix

2. My own mods:

- updated _DSM for the video (should work without GraphicsEnabler=yes, if you wish), NVCAPS set to Chameleon defaults

- added VRAM,totalsize (set to 512 by default)

- added model name and slot for Ethernet controller

- PinConfigurations for HDEF set to alc662-compatible

- added _PSS P-states values. This allows to boot OS X without ‘Disabler’ or ‘NullAppleCPUManagement’.

These mods allow you to boot OS X without GraphicsEnabler, EthernetBuiltIn and VBIOS.

But it is OK to keep both DSDT and Chameleon settings.

For your convenience, I included by original DSDT in /stuff. You can compare your own DSDT with mine and ensure my fixes are compatible with your BIOS.

(For instance, Region values might be different depending of the amount of RAM installed).

=== com.apple.boot.plist ===

1. Kernel Flags: debug=0x100

This is set in order to display the name of any KEXT that caused kernel panic. A diagnostic setting just in case you wish to figure out what’s wrong.

2. Legacy Logo = yes

I like apple logo :blink:

3. GraphicsEnabler=yes, EthernetBuiltIn=yes, VBIOS=yes: It is OK to use them or to remove them (DSDT will be used instead).

4. USBLegacyOff=yes: a patch for USB 2.0 HiSpeed/USB Legacy problem

=== smbios.plist ===

1. SMcputype is set to 768, otherwise Chameleon CPU detection code confuses ‘About my Mac’ and it says “Unknown Processor”. [V2]: this is no longer necessary

2. Feel free to fill-in SMmemserial_X, SMmempart_X, SMmemmanufacturer_ with whatever values you wish.

=== Known issues ===

I expect next chameleon revision supports ION ITX ID out of the box, and also fixes CPU identification, USB Legacy and sleep mode for 4Gb-machines.

This will make my own ‘/boot’ loader redundant.

FakeSMC code seems to be in ‘beta’ stage. You may see various messages from SMBios caused by missing FakeSMC key info. It also complains about MSDS key.

Only Mic input works for me, Line-In is silent.

Atom does not support SpeedStep, that's why there's only one P-state setting. C-state stuff is missing also - to be done some day (if ever possible). (That's why there's "_CST evaluation failed" error).

AppleHDA driver keeps saying "ERROR: EFI ROM did not publish 'hda-gfx' associative property'. I don't know whether this is related to HDA or HDMI Audio. I hope HDMI Audio is supported some day in the future. That's the only feature I miss.

=== References ===

[1] 10.6.2 patched kernel: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=197020

[2] chameleon patch for USB: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,866.0.html

[3] chameleon 4Gb patch: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,743.0.html

[4] fakesmc with CPU temperature reading: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...2517&st=100

[5] EvOreboot.kext http://www.osx86.es/?p=749

=== Download ===

attached, version 2 :D

=== Acknowledgements ===

I would like to thank shoarthing, banini_jeque, wrc4 for helping me with all this stuff :P

ionitx_boot.zip

ionitx_boot_v2.zip

Awesome. Totally awesome. I guess I'll use your experimental boot file, but I had one I was playing with to try to get refresh rates from Graphics Mode working, and I don't know how to add patch files to things.

[EDIT] NM, I kind of figured it out, but I did it wrong so now it won't compile. I gotta take a programming class next semester.[/EDIT]

eugene2k . . . great to have a enthusiastic new user working on the ION-ITX & glad you found the tips useful - a few comments/corrections:

=== Features ===

. . . ..

* Supports native power management, no need for disabler.kext

. . there's no need for a Disabler (if as I'm sure you do, you mean NullCPUPowerManagment.kext or similar) when running the 10.6.2 binhacked kernel from teateam. I have been running 10.6.2 with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext loaded since using teateam's excellent kernel . . .

. . . looks like you're using the same kernel, so is this 'fix' actually doing anything?

* Can you, when using this edit, run 10.6.0 b432 with the vanilla 10.6.0 kernel & with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment.kext unblocked & loaded?

* Can you see &/or measure any real effect from this dsdt _PSS edit?

* If you've checked & this edit does have some real effect; what happens when a user is not running at the 1596 MHz you specify in your _PSS? - this is a frequently (I'd say normally) overclocked mobo.

Sleep and Safe Sleep (hibernate) work fine, even with 4Gb of RAM
- really good news; will check this out. The only file needed is the recompiled PC-EFI 10.5 'boot' with (your version of?)madwolf's patch- yes?

Ethernet and Video are recognized correctly under their own names
- this is of course by dsdt edits shared with you & other users

* CPU is recognized as “Core 2 Duo”
- this occurs automatically if you use netkas' PC-EFI 10.5 - he modded this version to use DigitalDJ's code

Edit - your modded PC-EFI has in fact broken the working default cpu-type detection: my Atom 330 now shows as 'Unknown' - previously [using vanilla PC-EFI 10.5] showed as 'Core 2 Duo'

* USB works fine, it is safe to set USB 2.0 Controller into HiSpeed mode in BIOS and enable USB Legacy devices
. . . very good news if your compile of Signal64's patch to disable Legacy USB completely at OSX boot works so 'Legacy USB' can be enabled in the BIOS.

With no Chameleon/PC-EFI fix or flag, with 'Legacy USB' disabled; USB1.1 & USB2 work fine . . . that is, once in OSX they work as well as most USB works in OSX.

There are USB-related quirks which you may come across after a bit more experience with this platform - I have to use an upstreamclient disabler to sort mouse-effects.

[Edit] - the DisableLegacyUSB fix you found appears to work fine. I have set all BIOS USB settings to default without EHC1 errors as OSX launches . . . but I have not put your suggested new key in com.apple.Boot.plist . . . . . does this mean

* 1) LegacyUSB is switched off by default in your new 'boot', or

* 2) this 'fix' does nothing new & Legacy USB can now be enabled when using vanilla PC-EFI 10.5 to boot SL 10.6.2 with teateam's binhacked kernel . . . ?

No need for UUID / PlatformUUID kexts
- never has been: I have never used any UUID fix with the ION-ITX & TM works fine.

* CPU temperatures are recognized by iStat and similar software
- not accurately, esp if overclocked.

AHCI controller is recognized under its own name
- a nice new cosmetic fix - thank you. Could this ID-injection be done via a dsdt fix?

ALC866 audio is working fine (although only one analog input is available). Digital Out, Front-panel Out, and Green Jack Out are OK.
- the ION-ITX uses the ALC662 codec . . . glad this fix & accompanying ALC662.kext worked for you as well.

. . . really good to see this enthusiasm :D & I hope you don't mind my usual contribution of dull facts: - working Sleep (the substantive change in the above post) would be excellent news & I'm sure we'll all be testing to see if it works with our individual setups.

[Edit] . . . a side-effect of your modded PC-EFI 10.5 'boot' is that the Atom 330 now shows up as 'Unknown' - [previously shown as 'Core 2 Duo'] - perhaps you could recompile using the default detection-code, which works well, & attach that file to this thread.

. . . I'd suggest that it would be helpful to the community if you compiled for testing a PC-EFI 10.5 'boot' with the only change being your version of madwolf's patch for sleep w/ 4GB RAM.

[Edit2] . . . am now beginning to suspect that 10.6.2 is, in fact, unexpectedly Atom330/ION-friendly & that some familiar workarounds & hacks may not be needed now

. . there's no need for a Disabler (if as I'm sure you do, you mean NullCPUPowerManagment.kext or similar) when running the 10.6.2 binhacked kernel from teateam. I have been running 10.6.2 with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext loaded since using teateam's excellent kernel . . .

I'm using first version of the 10.6.2 patched-kernel with only 3 bytes patched (in x86 mode, not x64).

This kernel seems to need DSDT _PSS stuff. I don't like this binary-only patch, since I don't know what exactly and how was patched: I prefer opensource stuff with plain C code :)

And this 10.6.2 x86 kernel panics without _PSS-enabled DSDT: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement says: "No HPETs available. CPU configured incorrectly". I wonder if x64 version behaves the same way or not. Binary-patched stuff is kind of blackbox for me. (It seems this patch changes CPU Id on the fly, that's why it may cause random issues).

* Can you, when using this edit, run 10.6.0 b432 with the vanilla 10.6.0 kernel & with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment.kext unblocked & loaded?

10.6.0 used to boot just fine with DSDT _PSS values and without any disablers. That's why I think _PSS is necessary. (In case you wish to use some vanilla kernels in the future).

* Can you see &/or measure any real effect from this dsdt _PSS edit?

Nope. There's only =one= _PSS entry. That's why SpeedStep is not working. According to Intel, ATOM does not support it anyway. So this simply fixes panics and allows to boot vanilla kernels.

* If you've checked & this edit does have some real effect; what happens when a user is not running at the 1596 MHz you specify in your _PSS? - this is a frequently (I'd say normally) overclocked mobo.

Overclockers will need custom _PSS numbers.

By the way, I'm not sure, but it might be possible to add more _PSS values, thus, making the CPU SpeedStep-capable (sort of).

Safe Sleep:

- really good news; will check this out. The only file needed is the recompiled PC-EFI 10.5 'boot' - yes?

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement should be running, too. If you have less than 4Gb of memory, then you don't even need the patch.

I enabled 'safe sleep' mode as my default. sudo pmset -a hibernate=1

(With this option PC goes to 'Safe Sleep' all the time. Otherwise it will go into StandBy only).

yes.

I also edited some parts of DSDT _DSM values to be as close as possible to Chameleon on-the-fly patches.

- this occurs automatically if you use netkas' PC-EFI 10.5 - he modded this version to use DigitalDJ's code

Edit - your modded PC-EFI has in fact broken the working default cpu-type detection: my Atom 330 now shows as 'Unknown' - previously [using vanilla PC-EFI 10.5] showed as 'Core 2 Duo'

Well.. It seems there =is= a bug in PC-EFI 10.5. I checked my boot file, original Chameleon 2 rc3 and 10.5 boot files. And PC-EFI 10.5 boot file (as well as mine, since it is based on 10.5 sources) cause problems with CPU identification. The original rc3 boot is OK. That's why I added SMcputype into smbios.plist: this fixes the problem.

I checked PC-EFI sources. smbios_cpu_type() function behaves incorrectly in PC-EFI 10.5: it returns Platform.CPU.NoCores=1, and this sets SMcputype into 257, while correct value for Atom 330 is, supposedly, 769 ("Core2Duo"). Pre-10.5 Chameleon does not detect or insert SMcputype into SMBIOS.

I fixed this problem in PC-EFI code and posted my comment @ netkas.org.

Download the attached ionitx_boot_v2.zip with the new /boot file.

[Edit] - the DisableLegacyUSB fix you found appears to work fine. I have set all BIOS USB settings to default without EHC1 errors as OSX launches . . . but I have not put your suggested new key in com.apple.Boot.plist . . . . . does this mean

* 1) LegacyUSB is switched off by default in your new 'boot', or

* 2) this 'fix' does nothing new & Legacy USB can now be enabled when using vanilla PC-EFI 10.5 to boot SL 10.6.2 with teateam's binhacked kernel . . . ?

In my case the problem was not with 'Legacy' mode itself, but with 'legacy mode + USB 2.0 controller mode'.

If I enable HiSpeed mode in BIOS, OS X hangs on start-up without USBLegacyOff=yes fix.

With this fix, it behaves correctly.

AHCI - a nice new cosmetic fix - thank you. Could this ID-injection be done via a dsdt fix?

I did not find AHCI controller in DSDT, but haven't spent enough time on that.

- the ION-ITX uses the ALC662 codec . . .

Yep. A misprint.

. . . really good to see this enthusiasm :whistle: & I hope you don't mind my usual contribution of dull facts: - working Sleep (the substantive change in the above post) would be excellent news & I'm sure we'll all be testing to see if it works with our individual setups.

Sleep works for me. The only issue I noticed was USB keyboard lock-up once. But this only happened once.

[Edit] . . . a side-effect of your modded PC-EFI 10.5 'boot' is that the Atom 330 now shows up as 'Unknown' - [previously shown as 'Core 2 Duo'] - perhaps you could recompile using the default detection-code, which works well, & attach that file to this thread.

This bug in PC-EFI 10.5 is fixed now. Please upgrade ionitx_boot_v2.zip

My initial source code was taken from http://netkas.org/?p=271

And this code contains a bug in CPU detection. In V1 of my files I fixed it by means of adding SMcputype value into smbios.plist. In V2 I fixed netkas code and removed SMcputype. I expect this issue is fixed in the next build of Chameleon when it is out.

. . . I'd suggest that it would be helpful to the community if you compiled for testing a PC-EFI 10.5 'boot' with the only change being your fix for sleep w/ 4GB RAM.

USB Legacy fix, CPU ID fix (new) and 4GB sleep fix are the only ones I made. My fixes are based on PC-EFI 10.5 code.

By the way, do you know how to submit my changes to Netkas or Chameleon guys?

I added a comment at netkas.org - I'm sure he will fix the issue, but the other two fixes have already been described at the Chameleon forum in Bug Reports and Suggestions quite long time ago...

It would be good to add IONITX NVidia 9400 ID, too, to fix "Unknown" video card name (without DSDT patch).

[i'm splitting this up into individual issues]

Atom 330 & _PSS states

Overclockers will need custom _PSS numbers.

By the way, I'm not sure, but it might be possible to add more _PSS values, thus, making the CPU SpeedStep-capable (sort of).

. . . if _PSS values are going to be required for the Atom 330, then perhaps you might write a quick but foolproof explanation of how the overclocker might find their custom values, so they may edit their dsdt to suit.

. . another [less helpful] way might be to make up plural dsdts = 1.6GHz, 1.8; 2.0 & so on . . . . most folk appear to run [or wish to run] at 12x167, which is stable at default vcore in all reported cases I have come across.

Atom 330 & _PSS states

. . . if _PSS values are going to be required for the Atom 330, then perhaps you might write a quick but foolproof explanation of how the overclocker might find their custom values, so they may edit their dsdt to suit.

. . another [less helpful] way might be to make up plural dsdts = 1.6GHz, 1.8; 2.0 & so on . . . . most folk appear to run [or wish to run] at 12x167, which is stable at default vcore in all reported cases I have come across.

I'm not very familiar with overclocking.. especially if speedstep is unsupported natively by the CPU...

First you need to get "P-States Calculator". This is an application that calculates values for _PSS.

Second, you may wish to install VoodooPower.kext (http://www.superhai.com/darwin.html). After you install it, P-States calculator will be able to read the values from the CPU.

That's all I know for sure :lol:

As a suggestion, you may try to install P-States Calc + Voodoo, disable AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, enable "disabler' :lol:, set your BIOS to "normal" operation, boot OS X and write down _PSS values. After that reboot, overclock the CPU in BIOS, boot OS X, write down your new values, repeat several times with different CPU speeds. You will get a list of _PSS values. After that, set the CPU to maximum reliable speed in BIOS, edit DSDT, add all the _PSS values you wish, remove "Disabler" and enable AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement with your custom DSDT.

After that boot OS X and check if CPU is being overclocked dynamically. (e.g. by running CPU-X or something, I'm not sure).

Great News!

OK, Tech-Talk aside, how useful will this board be in practice? I currently have a ZOTAC ION Board with ATOM 330 and 4GB of RAM and a few HDs. I use it with ubuntu & XBMC as HPTC, which does it very well.

But i like to change that. fiddeling with ubuntu isn't much my family likes, everyone uses macs, so i would like to install SL on this device and play 1080p-content via PLEX (which is based on XBMC).

Would this be possible with this package here?

TIA

bernie

1. Pull out your boot disk. Mount it on a mac.

2. Partition the drive w/ GUID Partition Table / Mac Os Extended Journaled.

3. Install OS X on it by using /System/Installation/OSInstall.mpkg from the SL disk.

4. Install the 10.6.2 Combo Update onto the drive.

5. Install Chameleon RC3 (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184766) *make sure not to install onto your mac's boot disk which is the default*

6. Copy over the files from this archive, putting the boot file in your / dir (/Volumes/volName) and the Extra files in your /Extra (/Volumes/volName/Extra) directory.

7. Download the patched 10.6.2 kernel http://www.mediafire.com/?jfyynujykyy, backup the kernel in / and replace it with the one from the archive.

8. Put the drive back into your Zotac system. Set the bios as specified above.

9. ...

10. Profit!

I build my new startdisk for my zotac ION and did everything mentioned, connected the new HD with the 10.6.2 Install via USB to the zotac board and boted from that, but i hang with the message:

"PCI root uid not found"

i tried to use "-pci1" as bootflag but that didn't work. It only shows the nice black apple logo...

So, could someone help with this?

Thanks in advance!

1. Pull out your boot disk. Mount it on a mac.

2. Partition the drive w/ GUID Partition Table / Mac Os Extended Journaled.

3. Install OS X on it by using /System/Installation/OSInstall.mpkg from the SL disk.

4. Install the 10.6.2 Combo Update onto the drive.

5. Install Chameleon RC3 (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184766) *make sure not to install onto your mac's boot disk which is the default*

6. Copy over the files from this archive, putting the boot file in your / dir (/Volumes/volName) and the Extra files in your /Extra (/Volumes/volName/Extra) directory.

7. Download the patched 10.6.2 kernel http://www.mediafire.com/?jfyynujykyy, backup the kernel in / and replace it with the one from the archive.

8. Put the drive back into your Zotac system. Set the bios as specified above.

9. ...

10. Profit!

Found the problem! Zotac didn't like to boot from USB!!!

I connected my HD via esata and, surely enough, everything boots like described here! :P

Really cool work, thanks alot to all who contributed and did the hard work!

Now testing all the features.

Again, thanks to all! :(

One more thing....

Sound didn't work for me. Have the alc666.kext in my Extra/Extensions Folder, rebuild kextcache to no avail.,

Do i have to do something extra for that to work (i.e. remove a kext rom System/Library/Extensions or what?). I Have simply no Soundinput or Soundoutput in my controlpanel to choose from... :unsure:

TIA!

I actually installed SL on mine using a bootcd and the retail disk. Not only that, but it was a boot cd that I had previously set up and used to install SL on my ep45-ds3l, and had an efi string for my GTX 260 on it. Still, it worked, even with legacy usb enabled. I was really excited about that. Anyway, now everything is running pretty good. I just can't wait until Chameleon/PC_EFI supports refresh rates so that I can watch SL boot on my little grape iMac G3 that I set up my Zotac inside of. I'll post an article and pics of this next week.

[ Posted from my Zotac ION powered Grape iMac ]

To answer my own question: One must make sure that in the bios SOUND is set to internal, not to externel (HDMI), Sound via HDMI didn't work! :)

I must say this is really great work, probably the easiest OSx86 Install i ever came across. Altough, looking mkv-Video via PLEX is a little stuttering, but maybe this could tweaked, eventually in overclocking the device to 2 GHz. I already build a big and silent PAPST-Fan on the heatsink and additional a big and silent FAN on the side of my Lian-Li-Mini-itx Case.

Great! Thanks again!

One more thing....

Sound didn't work for me. Have the alc666.kext in my Extra/Extensions Folder, rebuild kextcache to no avail.,

Do i have to do something extra for that to work (i.e. remove a kext rom System/Library/Extensions or what?). I Have simply no Soundinput or Soundoutput in my controlpanel to choose from... ;)

TIA!

Hi

Hm, I get a kernel panic Version mismatch between Kernel and CPU ....

I think it is caused by com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.

Is there something wrong with the bios settings? or did I make a mistake when installing Chameleon?

Thanks

Joey

This is awesome! I got to have this board now...

(sorry for barging in this topic but i posted your email (with attachment :P which was not my original plan) so your feedbacks are coming but its just that there'z no thread at DriverHeaven by you). I attached file and removed links but this forum generated download link at buttom of post (where dudes got their hands on :D )

Hi

Hm, I get a kernel panic Version mismatch between Kernel and CPU ....

I think it is caused by com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.

Is there something wrong with the bios settings? or did I make a mistake when installing Chameleon?

Thanks

Joey

Did you follow the instructions from michael glass here in this thread? Maybe there is some processor related setting (32/64 Bit) in your bios wrong?

So, everything is working for me. I set my fsb from 533 to 667, which gives me 2,0GHz on the Atom. Starting up is very slow (several minutes). But after that it works ok.

Not that bad. Playing 1080p content (mkv) with plex is nearly OK, but there is still a noticable stuttering there, looks like the nvidia-gpu didn't work that well under os x ;) . Under ubuntu it works like a charm without overklocking i can play 1080p content without problems.

If there isn't any other things i can do or tweak with this box to become plex running like under ubuntu then i will sell this sweetie and use some other hardware for my plex-hptc.

So, if someone has a tip to get this thing going as hptc with plex (4GB RAM) playing 1080p content then please let me know...

Thank you guys, this is more than brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First I had some difficulties, but this was my fault, not following the rules (steps) which in deed ended up in KP.

First I downloaded a chamelon boot loader from a different place and the install failed. Downloaded the one you suggested installed perfectly.

My next fault was, to test with 10.6.0 without updating and kernel exchange, so of course now I know got KP.

Than I updated and swapped the kernel with the modified one, and voila it's working nicely.

On thing, I had to assign a manual IP. Fully DHCP has given a self assigned wrong IP. For a desktop unit it's not a problem.

After that I had to run the network diagnostic to connect to my ISP.

Auto sleep and wake up works HDMI I will test next, also digital out.

I am not sure does eugene k2 mean his guide under known issues, digital sound does not work, or digital sound via HDMI does not work.

As long digital sound work, on many home theater receiver like my Yamaha RX-V2400 I can connect a HDMI cable, but feed the sound via coax or optical. One other possibility I can think of is to use a HDMI adapter, open this adapter and solder a little cable to it, which fits in coax output. I had recently to adjust a HDMI TO DVI Adapter mechanecly to fit to my graphic card and I was surprised how easy this little adapter fall apart and how old fashioned it was inside made with wirer.

Thanks again for this wonderful guide!!!!!!!!!!

update

HDMI 1080 works fine

Digital out coaxial works, but PCM 2 channel only !!

Would be very nice to have dolby 5.1. But, I don't wand ask for too much tonight.

I love this little machine now.

I wonder if snow server will run with the same installation guide? I will try on one off the next days. I guess it will.

update

Digital out coaxial works, but PCM 2 channel only !!

Would be very nice to have dolby 5.1. But, I don't wand ask for too much tonight.

I think standard digital out (optical or coax) can only support PCM 2-channel out unless the bitstream is Dolby Digital or DTS encoded. I don't think Mac OS has ever supported Dolby or DTS output of standard system audio. I'm not sure if a particular app, like the DVD player, can output Dolby or DTS. If so, then Plex or other apps can output the existing Dolby stream from an HD broadcast over the digital out.

For sure dolby 5.1 pass thru is supported under OSX, at least using VLC or Boxee for play back on a real Mac and also on an Hackintosh.

mpeg, img or the real disk with AC3 sound, all works.

The standard DVD player in OSX might not support dolby, it's a long time I used that application, so I am not sure.

I think the problem is, the digital pass thru does not pass the dolby sound to digital out. Maybe kext or DSDT has to be modified accordingly. To have no sound via HDMI output does not bother me at all. Just one more tiny cable to run.

Hi,

i'm french (so sorry for my bad english), and i have a Zotac ION ITX MB, so i'm very interested on installing SL on it.

But i'm really a newbie in "hackintoshing", and don't really understand how to install SL ... :blink:

I've got not idea on how to make a Chameleon USB bt key (boot CD maybe ?)

I've got :

- an USB key made bootable using syslinux (syslinux -ma e:)

- a SL 10.6 Retail DVD image in dmg format. I've converted it in ISO format using UltraISO

- downloads : everything in the first post

Is there someone here kind enough to give me a step-by-step guide ? :rolleyes:

Thx