GA-EX58 and GA-X58A DSDT native power management modifications

d00d

1,771 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...

I need help setting up Mojave onto the following hardware:
Intell 160GB SSD 
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 1.0 motherboard with LGA1366 socket.
Intel Core i7-930 Quad Core 2.80 GHz processor
Kingston HyperX Memory (4x2GB sticks)
HIS Radeon HD6870 1GB Graphics (1X Displayport, 1X HDMI, 2X DVI)
Antec TPII-550 Power supply
LG Blu-Ray Reader / DVD Re-write drive
Note:
Which kexts (for the hardware I have) do I need to have under /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other directory?

Will I also need to alter the config.plist file?

The hard drive was removed by seller...so now I want to install Mojave onto a SSD I have.
Just need this for Xcode IDE (IOS) development...will I need a better processor and graphics card (for metal) for Mojave?

I get the following error message with the USB install: bootoaf:error
Deep thanks if anyone can help me.

On 3/24/2019 at 4:09 PM, franks2019 said:

I need help setting up Mojave onto the following hardware:  Intell 160GB SSD Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 1.0 motherboard with LGA1366 socket.

Hi franks2019,

Here is the link to my posts and files used in GA-EX58-UD5:
https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/319980-overclocking-6-core-cpu-on-ga-ex58-ud5/?tab=comments#comment-2345859

You will find there user called TheBloke. He has identical motherboard to yours and should be able to help you.

Also, look at the following thread:  https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/332126-guide-ga-x58a-ud3r-v2-10133-high-sierra/?tab=comments#comment-2602744

TheBloke upladed there his patched DSDT for GA-X58A-UD3R.

You should be able to use all my Clover files except DSDT for your motherboard, which you need to get from The Bloke.

Edited by Emilo

• 3 months later...

Hello d00d. ok guys here's my contribution based on Emilio's guide for overclocking Xeon on x58. (Thank you so much man, your guide for OC is the best out there), d00d too .   

I have an GA-X58A-UD5 Rev 2.0 with X5670 CPU, and 6x4 Corsair Vengeance 1600 RAM.

I am on 4.6 Ghz, 4.8 w Turbo.

24x192 multi w turbo enabled.

My CPU cooler is NZXT Kraken x62 in push-pull config.

Temps on Idle are about 30C and on full load about 72.

Here is my EFI Folder.

Writing from High Sierra 10.13.6 upgraded directly from 10.12 (kept HFS+ though)

My geekbench 4 scores are 3961 single, 18889 multi.

If this post does not belong here or if you d00d wont allow it  you can delete it i fully respect you guys.

Thnx again.

EFI.zip

Edited by dsynos80
permission for post

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2019 at 2:39 AM, dsynos80 said:

Hello d00d. ok guys here's my contribution based on Emilio's guide for overclocking Xeon on x58. (Thank you so much man, your guide for OC is the best out there), d00d too .   

I have an GA-X58A-UD5 Rev 2.0 with X5670 CPU, and 6x4 Corsair Vengeance 1600 RAM.

I am on 4.6 Ghz, 4.8 w Turbo.

24x192 multi w turbo enabled.

My CPU cooler is NZXT Kraken x62 in push-pull config.

Temps on Idle are about 30C and on full load about 72.

Here is my EFI Folder.

Writing from High Sierra 10.13.6 upgraded directly from 10.12 (kept HFS+ though)

My geekbench 4 scores are 3961 single, 18889 multi.

If this post does not belong here or if you d00d wont allow it  you can delete it i fully respect you guys.

Thnx again.

EFI.zip

Will this work on MSI x58-GD65 with i7 920?? i have tried everything, i get stuck on randomseed error. google'd it like anything but no luck!! :(

• 2 months later...

HI guys, anybody can share a DSDT for my old GA-X58A-UD3R rev 1.0?

All I could get was for the version 2 and my own modded DSDT is not working ok. Looks like I'm not very good at DSDT editing. Thanks.

Edited by ricren

• 1 year later...
28 minutes ago, aikidoka25 said:

Anyone is able to install Big Sur 11.0 on this board?

I have a working 10.15.7 using Clover.

I'm not even able to run Catalina yet.  When I tried last (few months ago), the upgrade worked OK, but then I got a black screen crash on boot.  I asked around at the time but wasn't able to find any solution, so I've stuck with 10.14.6 on that machine.

Could I see your EFI?  I'd like to try again for Catalina on my old X58 system.

I don't believe it's possible to boot BigSur with Clover, so you'd have to move to OpenCore for BigSur.

Edited by TheBloke

Thanks very much!  I will study it.

Regarding OpenCore, I am using it for my new system (X299 architecture, i9-10980XE) and I much prefer OpenCore to Clover.  Documentation is vastly better, and now I have studied those docs I find I understand OpenCore far better than I ever understood Clover.  It does not have so many built-in hacks and patches as Clover does, so more work is required to convert those to SSDTs.  But the documentation is now there to make those SSDTs, especially the Dortania project, so I have found that I am understanding my Hackintosh a lot better than I did before.

That said, I have not yet attempted to put the X58 system on OpenCore.  Two reasons: 1) It works fine on Clover (at least for Mojave), so there is no pressing need, and 2) OpenCore does not support legacy boot on its own, so it requires an extra package - called Duet I think - which again made me not bother to spend the time trying to convert to OC.

I don't think I will ever try to put the X58 onto Big Sur as I am now phasing out its usage for the new X299 system, so I could just stay on Clover on this system.  But getting the X58 on Catalina at least could be useful.

Thanks again for the EFI, I will have a look and see if I can work out why I couldn't boot Catalina before.  One possibility is that it is GPU related.  I had a huge number of extra problems when I upgraded my GPU from AMD R9 280X to AMD Vega 64, and the black-screen-on-boot issue I got could be GPU related.  I see you are using an NVidia GPU, so maybe you avoided those issues.

Here it is. Sorry for the delay. This DSDT is for my machine as in the signature.

I kind of lost track what is inside as it is created and tailored since 10.6.

I am having this computer since 2009 and want to update the OS as far as it could go.

I have created another thread about using OpenCore on X58, and I am able to boot Catalina however there are some issues here and there.

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/341766-opencore-legacy-for-ga-ex58-ud5/

DSDT.aml.X58.Clover.20201115.zip

• Like 1

Wonderful, thanks very much again @aikidoka25

I too am not really sure what is in my X58 DSDT.  Originally I took the DSDT from this thread, several years ago.  I started making the changes as described myself, then someone else posted an already-edited DSDT for my exact MB (GA-X58A-UD3R) so I just used his.

Some time later I sent my DSDT to mald0n of this forum and Olarila.com and he made a few tweaks for me, eg filling in the PCI area.

So I've never really edited it myself.  Until this month, I didn't really know how.  But as part of setting up my X299 system I have finally started to learn about DSDTs and SSDTs.

I will decompile my DSDT and yours to DSL and do a comparison to see what is different. Maybe I have something wrong that is preventing Catalina boot.

Thanks again for all your help.  When I've finished with my X299 I will come back to the X58, and see if I can get it running on Catalina, ideally in OpenCore as you've done.  I'll post my findings in that other thread.

Edited by TheBloke

I'm booted in Catalina 10.15.7 on my GA-X58A-UD3R!

And the strange thing is, I haven't changed my EFI at all.  I looked at @aikidoka25's EFI and SSDT and it had quite a few differences to mine.  But first I thought I would try mine unchanged, to see what errors occurred.  Only thing I altered was to update Lilu and WEG to latest version.

And it booted fine in the latest Catalina.

However I am using a different GPU to when I last tried Catalina on this board.  Now I have my old R9 280X installed.  Before it was a newer Vega 64.  So this makes me wonder whether it was the GPU that caused the failure.  I will test this sometime soon (right now the Vega 64 is installed in my new X299 system)

I do have one annoying issue, which I also had in 10.14.6, and I think is due to using iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS:  sometimes on boot, my CPU power management does not work.  All CPU cores will be stuck at 2Ghz, and will not scale up to 4Ghz.  This makes the system very slow.

I have found no solution for this yet, except rebooting until the problem goes away.  Sometimes I have to reboot 4 or 5 times in a row until on the 5th or 6th attempt, it works.

The reason I'm using iMacPro 1,1 is that I found it works better with modern AMD GPUs, providing a picture on one monitor from boot.  With other SMBIOS, eg MacPro 5,1 and MacPro 6,1 I found that all monitors were black on boot, until I sleep and wake.  I still have to sleep and wake even with iMacPro 1,1 to get all monitors working (I have four monitors).  Also iMacPro 1,1 made it easier to enable HW accelerated encode/decode of H264/H265.

Anyway, finally I have this old system on 10.15.7 which I had thought I would not be able to do, so that's good news.

I might try OpenCore on it soon.

On 11/20/2020 at 10:14 AM, TheBloke said:

I'm booted in Catalina 10.15.7 on my GA-X58A-UD3R!

And the strange thing is, I haven't changed my EFI at all.  I looked at @aikidoka25's EFI and SSDT and it had quite a few differences to mine.  But first I thought I would try mine unchanged, to see what errors occurred.  Only thing I altered was to update Lilu and WEG to latest version.

And it booted fine in the latest Catalina.

However I am using a different GPU to when I last tried Catalina on this board.  Now I have my old R9 280X installed.  Before it was a newer Vega 64.  So this makes me wonder whether it was the GPU that caused the failure.  I will test this sometime soon (right now the Vega 64 is installed in my new X299 system)

I do have one annoying issue, which I also had in 10.14.6, and I think is due to using iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS:  sometimes on boot, my CPU power management does not work.  All CPU cores will be stuck at 2Ghz, and will not scale up to 4Ghz.  This makes the system very slow.

I have found no solution for this yet, except rebooting until the problem goes away.  Sometimes I have to reboot 4 or 5 times in a row until on the 5th or 6th attempt, it works.

The reason I'm using iMacPro 1,1 is that I found it works better with modern AMD GPUs, providing a picture on one monitor from boot.  With other SMBIOS, eg MacPro 5,1 and MacPro 6,1 I found that all monitors were black on boot, until I sleep and wake.  I still have to sleep and wake even with iMacPro 1,1 to get all monitors working (I have four monitors).  Also iMacPro 1,1 made it easier to enable HW accelerated encode/decode of H264/H265.

Anyway, finally I have this old system on 10.15.7 which I had thought I would not be able to do, so that's good news.

I might try OpenCore on it soon.

does your sleep work ok? my ud5 works fine execpet for sleep (which works fine in mojave)

13 minutes ago, jhrfc said:

does your sleep work ok? my ud5 works fine execpet for sleep (which works fine in mojave)

Yes, it worked fine. And this is essential for me because I have 4 monitors connected and only two get a picture unless I sleep and wake.

I'm now running OpenCore 0.6.3 and it's working there too.

It'll be down to issues in your DSDT I expect.  When I first tried OpenCore I tried following the Dortania guide, and therefore I did not use my DSDT, just the required SSDTs.  And I did get it booted, but sleep didn't work.  I didn't bother investigating it further as it works fine with the DSDT and this is my old system now, so as long as it works I'm not too worried about it being technically perfect.

Edited by TheBloke

On 11/25/2020 at 5:24 PM, TheBloke said:

Yes, it worked fine. And this is essential for me because I have 4 monitors connected and only two get a picture unless I sleep and wake.

I'm now running OpenCore 0.6.3 and it's working there too.

It'll be down to issues in your DSDT I expect.  When I first tried OpenCore I tried following the Dortania guide, and therefore I did not use my DSDT, just the required SSDTs.  And I did get it booted, but sleep didn't work.  I didn't bother investigating it further as it works fine with the DSDT and this is my old system now, so as long as it works I'm not too worried about it being technically perfect.

Thanks, I have the same cpu power management issue if I use imacpro smbois in Catalina, if i use macpro5,1 (booting with no compat check) it works, but as I say the system reboots (most of the time) if i try to sleep. using the same dsdt I have had for years and years (from this thread!)

17 hours ago, jhrfc said:

Thanks, I have the same cpu power management issue if I use imacpro smbois in Catalina, if i use macpro5,1 (booting with no compat check) it works, but as I say the system reboots (most of the time) if i try to sleep. using the same dsdt I have had for years and years (from this thread!)

Yeah I had that PM issue with iMacPro as well.  It sometimes took me 5 or 6 reboots before I could get the system booted at full speed - the rest of the time my CPU would be stuck at 12x multiplier, and so performance was terrible.

As a result I've moved to MacPro6,1, and it's fine now.  No need for -no_compat_check on 6,1.

Sorry, not sure about the sleep issue.  But you have the same MB as @aikidoka25 and he uploaded his DSDT a few posts up in this thread, so you could take a look at that?

• 1 year later...
On 11/29/2020 at 10:11 AM, TheBloke said:

Yeah I had that PM issue with iMacPro as well.  It sometimes took me 5 or 6 reboots before I could get the system booted at full speed - the rest of the time my CPU would be stuck at 12x multiplier, and so performance was terrible.

As a result I've moved to MacPro6,1, and it's fine now.  No need for -no_compat_check on 6,1.

Sorry, not sure about the sleep issue.  But you have the same MB as @aikidoka25 and he uploaded his DSDT a few posts up in this thread, so you could take a look at that?

Update, I spent some time on this as I now really need to run Catalina to keep the system security patches up to date. I fixed the crash on sleep by removing my pstate and cstate from my dsdt and allowing clover to generate them, I now get sleep. I also still get speed step and turbo, but only if I use the macpro5,1 smbios.

No great issue I just need to boot using a different smbios to apply updates.

Will start to play with big sur on another drive, I have seen people getting it to run under macpro5,1 on other x58 boards so hopeful. determined to keep this rig running safely as long as I can!

• Like 1