1471 replies to this topic

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
wolfienuke,

there are several DSDT fro d00d, so may i know which DSDT in particular that you use? I would like to try that too, if the cpu is compatible with my unit.

JamesLittler

JamesLittler

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
Extract and patch your own. Slight hardware differences can cause you to have different DSDTs.

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
there are several variations on how to patch (especially the audio part), if we do a permutation on the combinations, it is enormous.
my unit is using the dsdt made by d00d, and it is working fine in 10.8 except the audio part has to resort to a another version of kext.

JamesLittler

JamesLittler

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
there is no way around that unless you only want 2 channel audio, if so, see option a in the audio section in the OP

myrorym

myrorym

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Updated to 10.7.4
Having trouble getting sound to work. Tried the one from my 10.7.3 and no go.
GA-X58A-UD5 rev.2 FB
ALC889.

Any suggestions out there?

What is best/cost effective current USB/firewire solution?

JamesLittler

JamesLittler

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
Updated to 10.8 GM everything working except audio.
I have it enabled but no output apart from Apple TV.

I've tried replacing the Layout12.xml.zlib (injected via DSDT) with a working version for 885 from 10.7.4 (compressed to zlib) but this hasn't made any difference.

ALC889a

dougaa

dougaa

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 179 posts

Updated to 10.7.4
Having trouble getting sound to work. Tried the one from my 10.7.3 and no go.
GA-X58A-UD5 rev.2 FB
ALC889.

Any suggestions out there?

What is best/cost effective current USB/firewire solution?

I like this USB device as an alternative to getting built-in audio to work: http://www.amazon.co...uct/B000KW2YEI/ It's USB codec is supported in OS X. It works well, although I discovered the optical output is mono, not stereo. The headphone output is stereo.

For other hardware alternatives, if you want Firewire 800, or built-in Firewire doesn't work, this card works with OS X: http://www.amazon.co...uct/B002S53IG8/ It has a Firewire header as well as the external connectors.

Also, for network problems there's this card that d00d recommended: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833106033 It's supported by IONetworkFamily after a simple patch to add the device id in the Intel82574L plugin.

myrorym

myrorym

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
The problem is that I would really like the use of HDMI audio, which I had working previously in 10.7.3.
I did a fresh install, not sure why old kext won't work.
Who has ALC889 working in 10.7.4?
Anyone with nVidia HDMI too?

JamesLittler

JamesLittler

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
Mountain Lion running fine.
ALC889a working with line out and headphones.

https://www.dropbox....%20EX58-UD5.zip

myrorym

myrorym

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Do not mind. I have found the error in my DSDT method. Sound working on ALC889 x58a-ud5 10.7.4 Server.

Next HDMI audio and I will report back

karaakeha1

karaakeha1

Mac Pro Case

• Donators
  • 561 posts
but mountain lion server fails to sleep

I figured out my sleep issue..the culprit is my apple iSight. If I unplug it the system sleeps instantly.

wow great observation
finally fixed my sleep issue

orew

orew

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hmmm got mountain lion installed quite easily. Things seem to be great just had to reapply audio fix. However, I'm having an issue with graphics performance. I edited AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext but to no avail. My novabench is significantly lower than it was a month ago with Lion. Anyone else notice similar issues?

Kunze

Kunze

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Hi,

i have a problem with my DSDT. When i repair in my old OSX the ML Caches etc. and boot then to ML i get the message:
com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin might not load
but the nativ AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement is initialized and SMCDevice is successfully initialized too.
ML loads und runs normaly with native speedstep. In IORegistryExplorer i have under PX40 a device pci8086,3a16 (i should be the Intel Corporation 82801JIR (ICH10R) LPC Interface Controller [8086:3a16])

But when i reboot, there is no message:
com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin might not load
but booting stops with:
ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - failed to locate SMC Driver

What i have made wrong? Could somebody plz help me.

My System: GA-EX58-UD4P with Intel i7-920@4GHz
Kext: FakeSMC and my legacy kext with only a info.plist

Update:
Problem solved

I used UseKernelCache=Yes in org.chameleon.Boot.plist. This ignors the Legacy.kext in extra with the AGPMController edits and loads only /S/L/E. So without UseKernelCache=Yes the problem is solved.

Kunze

Kunze

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
I found this message on boot to Mountain Lion:
Pthread support ABORTS when sync kernel primitives misused

What does it mean and how i can solve it?

colddiver

colddiver

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Hello all,

I have been a happy user of one of dOOd's dsdt for my ex58-ud5 for many years. I recently upgraded from a Core i7 920 to a 990x and I am wondering if there is anything I should update in the dsdt (I have seen some processor-specific stuff in post #1 but nothing about the 990x).

On a related note, fiddled with my smbios in order to download Mountain Lion (was getting an error that my mac was not supported). During this process, I changed the MacPro from 4,1 to 5,1 (and modified serial, board, rom, etc. accordingly - could have went to another iteration of MacPro4,1 but decided to shoot for something more recent to ensure I would get past the App Store block). I was wondering if this kind of change requires the dsdt to be modified or nott (i.e. if dOOd's dsdt is tied to a MacPro4,1). I can always revert to MacPro4,1 if needed - just trying to understand the pros/cons.

As it stands now, my original dsdt seems to work OK with Lion (not experiencing anything weird but I didn't do thorough testing either). In ML, I'm getting CMOS reset when waking from sleep (which looks like it could be fixed by patching AppleRTC.kext.

Sorry for the noob questions - I never bothered trying to understand the dsdt stuff since dsdt were available to match my previous config. I would now like to fiddle with it a little more and get a better understanding of how the dsdt interacts with everything else before I start overclocking the 990x.

Colddiver

JamesLittler

JamesLittler

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
Providing you have 12 definitions for the CPU I think you should be ok.
Inject C+P states through chameleon or create your own SSDT either within the DSDT or as a separate SSDT.aml if chameleon isn't getting it right.
Will be interesting to hear how it goes as I'm considering doing the same.

CMOS reset is indeed fixed by patching AppleRTC but the patch is different from in Lion as there is no 32 bit anymore.
The new patch is:
sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x89\xd8|\xeb\x30\x89\xd8|' ~/Desktop/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

colddiver

colddiver

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
JamesLittler,

I do indeed have 12 definitions for the CPU (all cores are recognized). Everything worked with original DSDT on first reboot (was expecting more issues than that).

Concerning the C+P states, I will modify my com.chameleon.boot.plist and give it a shot. I'm using a recent built of Chimera at the moment (I'm assuming that Chameleon and Chimera are both able to generate the C and P states). How do I test to see if everything works as it should? I remember fiddling with those in the past but I never noticed any difference. Any app I can use to check if C+P states are working? Anything I should look for in the logs?

For the CMOS reset, google pointed me to the right patch. Didn't have a chance to try it yet.

Concerning the upgrade: the 990x (or other 6-core i7 of this generation) are starting to get a little harder to get here. I got a good rebate on mine. I felt it was a good way to extend the life of my hackintosh (I'll pop in a new video card --currently running a GTX285-- soon and it should be good as new). Geekbench score went up by about 4000 compared to my 920 (no overclock). The 990x also seems to run much cooler than my 920 with the same heat sink (think I messed up the thermal paste application on my 920 as it was running hotter than it was supposed to). The highest temp I could reach (with the limited amount of testing I did) with all cores under full load on the 990x was 42 dec. C.... This looks quite promising to me!

Colddiver

d00d

d00d

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
Anyone have a solution for this?

I can't update my machine to 10.8 with a 10.8 USB boot drive because the disks in the machine are a RAID.

After booting with the USB boot drive and selecting the drive to install on, the following is seen;
Some features of OS X Mountain Lion are not supported for the disk “mac05”.
Features such as FileVault and Recovery Mode won't be available if you install Mountain Lion on this disk. To learn more, click More Info.
To continue with the installation, click Continue.

Packages are copied to the RAID's `/OS X Install Data' directory.

It probably tries to write something to the EFI in order to reboot and do a final install, but it fails because there's no Apple EFI.

The /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache is updated with 10.8 extensions, but this causes a hang during the RAID boot at `BootCacheControl : Unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist: 2 No such file or directory' because /System/Library/Extensions are still at 10.7.4.

Booting from the USB boot drive, or possibly booting the RAID with -s, and doing `touch /Volumes/mac05/System/Library/Extensions' rebuilds the kernelcache with 10.7.4 extensions and allows the machine to boot.

dougaa

dougaa

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 179 posts

Anyone have a solution for this?

I can't update my machine to 10.8 with a 10.8 USB boot drive because the disks in the machine are a RAID.

After booting with the USB boot drive and selecting the drive to install on, the following is seen;
Some features of OS X Mountain Lion are not supported for the disk “mac05”.
Features such as FileVault and Recovery Mode won't be available if you install Mountain Lion on this disk. To learn more, click More Info.
To continue with the installation, click Continue.

If you don't have a recovery partition on your hard drive, the installer attempts to create one. It does that by slightly shrinking the partition you're about to install OS X on, so it can create a small recovery partition. What the "some features are not supported" message really means is that the installer detected that you have a non-standard partition organization, and it's not willing to modify it in order to add a recovery partition. I'm not sure what the connection is with File Vault, but if you continue you should get an otherwise normal installation of 10.8. I don't think that message has anything to do with 10.8 not booting for you.

Packages are copied to the RAID's `/OS X Install Data' directory.

It probably tries to write something to the EFI in order to reboot and do a final install, but it fails because there's no Apple EFI.

The /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache is updated with 10.8 extensions, but this causes a hang during the RAID boot at `BootCacheControl : Unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist: 2 No such file or directory' because /System/Library/Extensions are still at 10.7.4.

Booting from the USB boot drive, or possibly booting the RAID with -s, and doing `touch /Volumes/mac05/System/Library/Extensions' rebuilds the kernelcache with 10.7.4 extensions and allows the machine to boot.

Maybe you already know this, but booting from RAID is more complex than normal booting. Each RAID partition (even ones without OS X) has an adjacent 128MiB Apple_Boot partition associated with it, and the initial booting uses files on the boot partition. I believe the boot partition has enough of OS X to get RAID support loaded, so that the main partition can then be booted. I'm surprised the installer didn't just update everything correctly, but if that's new information for you, maybe it will help you figure it out.

colddiver

colddiver

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
All right... I started doing my homework but there is a lot to learn about this power management stuff... Looks like the DSTD I am using has some definitions for C+P states. It also looks like it is missing some alias on CPU7, 8, 9 and A. All I have there is this:

Processor (CPU7, 0x0C, 0x00000410, 0x06)
        {
        }

Whereas for the others, I have this:

Processor (CPU6, 0x06, 0x00000410, 0x06)
        {
            Alias (^CPU0._CST, _CST)
            Alias (^CPU0._PCT, _PCT)
            Alias (^CPU0._PSS, _PSS)
            Alias (^CPU0._PPC, _PPC)
        }

I will be adding the alias and do some testing to see what happens.

I looked for information on ssdt files and found some stuff (only for Sandy Bridge CPUs though). I also attempted to gather some info about what is happening on my system by using tools like MSRDumper.kext (which didn't output any info on my p-states so I'm assuming it does not work with my config) and mark-i (which actually worked).

I also tried letting Chameleon generate the C+P states but that caused the booting process to fail (froze with ITEIT87x: found ITE IT8720F - nothing else came after that even after a long wait). I'm assuming that I can't have C+P states defined in my dsdt.aml while also asking Chameleon to generate them... Will have to do some additional testing to confirm this... I got the same boot failure when I attempted to use an ssdt.aml file (assuming again that C+P states can't be defined in both dsdt + ssdt).

Looks like I have much more to learn to optimize this build!

Colddiver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy