• Please log in to reply
1483 replies to this topic

FUT1L1TY

FUT1L1TY

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

I doubt that identifying your system differently could physically effect your hardware.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I did not misidentify my machine. I modified my MacPro4_1.plist as per d00ds instructions on page 1. It had a substantial effect on my performance. Why? I'm not sure. As a result, I'm using the vanilla version of IOPlatformPluginFamily that gets installed with Mac Pro Audio Update.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that maybe we don't need that MacPro4_1.plist mod after installing that update. It's possible that people have updated and didn't realize that kext got changed in the first place.

MowgliBook

MowgliBook

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
If you had repaired authorisations and flush caches (extention.mkext) you would not have had that problem. `
The MacPro4_1.plist is edited to enjoy full speedstep with variable speed and works perfectly, you had that performance issue because you didn't install it properly.

Replace the vanilla plist,
Repair authorisations,
clean caches and make sure a new mkext is created, then restart.

Swhay

Swhay

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Thank you very much for trying to helping me! I'm very thankful. :(

I'll check the permissions when I get home from work, but I think I did manage to do that change to the permissions of / some time ago, and haven't been the complaints in the log since then.

I have the GA-EX58-UD5 mobo (doesn't it show in the signature?)

Alright, so I'll try to remove AppleHDAController.kext.
Let's see what goes...

Thanks again!

Edit:
I checked the permissions on / and I had root:admin so I entered your command so now it's root:wheel.
I also decided to compare the /S/L/E folder of my Hack with the same folder on my girlfriends MacBook.

Below is the result including some arrows with questions.
There are a lot of printer kexts in the upper section (the MacBook) which you have to ignore.
I will try to add OSvKernDSPLib.kext to my Hack since it seems to miss that during boot.

What do you say about the other kexts that differ?
Thanks for your input!
Posted Image

You can remove:
IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
SleepEnabler.kext

If you are using Asere 1.1.8 Bootloader (this is a modified Chameleon bootloader from a member of EFIXUsers.com forum). Which was installed on my system as part of the Kakewalk install method, then you can remove

PlatformUUID.kext

AsereBLN Booter - Based on Chameleon RC4 / PCEFI10.5

Kakewalk: Minimal effort install (EP45, EX58, P55, G41), Kakewalk is a simple vanilla method for installing Snow Leopard

The only Kexts you need with my DSDT are

Fakesmc.kext in /Extra/Extensions
RealtekR1000SL.kext in /System/Library/Extensions

I can confirm that I have
OSvKernDSPLib.kext and JMicronATA.kext in /System/Library/Extensions on both my 2009 27" iMac and my GA-EX58-UD5 ("Mac Pro").

FUT1L1TY

FUT1L1TY

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

If you had repaired authorisations and flush caches (extention.mkext) you would not have had that problem. `
The MacPro4_1.plist is edited to enjoy full speedstep with variable speed and works perfectly, you had that performance issue because you didn't install it properly.

Replace the vanilla plist,
Repair authorisations,
clean caches and make sure a new mkext is created, then restart.

Actually, I never replaced the kext. I simply edited the the plist in place using vi logged in as root. The permissions never were changed. The kext never left /S/L/E. When I was done, I ran "touch /System/Library/Extensions".

After I noticed the problem, I reverted the kext using the same method above. The kext never moved. If I had messed up permissions, I would still be experiencing the problem.

With that said, it's possible that I made mistake. Who knows. Anything is possible. What I would like to know is there anyone who has installed the Mac Pro Audio Update? If so then they are mostly likely running the vanilla version of IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext.

MowgliBook

MowgliBook

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
I did install it, and I re-edited my plist after. Everything's fine, and I have variable speeds
I'm convinced that your problem comes from the kext caches...

FUT1L1TY

FUT1L1TY

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

I did install it, and I re-edited my plist after. Everything's fine, and I have variable speeds
I'm convinced that your problem comes from the kext caches...

Thanks. I tried it again. It was in fact a bad edit and not permissions. It's now working. Sorry to report a false positive.

On a non-related note (for everyone on the list), did you know WOL (wake-on-lan) can be used to start your computer from a powered off state? Well, it can. Up until now I've only used WOL to wake from sleep. This is way cooler!

The Real Deal

The Real Deal

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 930 posts
F12 out:

http://www.gigabyte....mp;FileID=15693

aschar1

aschar1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
i changed the dsdt HDEF patch - it reduces the popping noise after wake from sleep. At boot its completely gone.
This is for layout id 12 - which is for my legacy alc889a kext. If your legacy kext needs different layout just change the layout id to your needs (alc889 or alc888).

[codebox] Device (HDEF)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
{
Return (Package (0x02)
{
0x0D,
0x05
})
}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x08)
{
"subsystem-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x0A, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
},

"subsytem-vendor-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x6B, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00
},

"layout-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
},

"PinConfigurations",
Buffer (Zero) {}
}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}
}[/codebox]

alepus

alepus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
aschars link to his alc889a v2 doesnt work. anyone who has the kext for audio?
i have the ga-ex58-ud5 with 6, 3.5mm jacks on the mobo. i'm using d00d's dsdt.aml and want to get 5.1 digital/analog sound.

ANARCHiNTOSH

ANARCHiNTOSH

Loldermort!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

aschars link to his alc889a v2 doesnt work. anyone who has the kext for audio?
i have the ga-ex58-ud5 with 6, 3.5mm jacks on the mobo. i'm using d00d's dsdt.aml and want to get 5.1 digital/analog sound.

just read through the audio part of d00ds post, there are plenty of alternative methods, like my AppleHDA patcher or the LegacyHDA. You will have to edit your dsdt's audio section though.

@ashar1
i love it that there are about 5 different methods for ud5 ALC889a audio, itll be really hard for Apple to break support ;)

alepus

alepus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

just read through the audio part of d00ds post, there are plenty of alternative methods, like my AppleHDA patcher or the LegacyHDA. You will have to edit your dsdt's audio section though.

thanks for the pointer!

i'll try it right away.

alepus

alepus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
1) My onboard ethernet is working. but the iStat Menus are not showing any activity.
also the Link Speed is 0mbit in Network Utility.

i copied manually RealtekR1000SL.kext to my /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ folder.

added this to com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>PciRoot</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>yes</string>

rebuilt caches & repaired permissions and rebooted

did i do anything wrong or am i using wrong RealtekR1000SL.kext ?

2) Tried OrangeIconFix.kext (copied it to S/L/E) rebuilt caches & repaired permissions and rebooted
didnt change anything in com.apple.boot.plist (should i?) and it didnt have any effect. still orange icons.

also, i have a general question about performance. i tried Geekbench 2.1.4 64bit when i was running arch=i386 and i got around 9500points. tried the same with removing arch=i386 and booting 64bit. the result is 8555.
anyone have an explanation?

ANARCHiNTOSH

ANARCHiNTOSH

Loldermort!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
@alepus

btw i pm-ed you the mediafire links for my AppleHDA patcher

1. you are probably using the right Realtek1000SL kext. i got mine from digital_dreamers UD5 kext pack.
i dont really know much about ethernet hackintosh stuff

2.you need to put orangeiconfix in /Extra not /S/L/E

i dont know about that geekbench stuff either, but that doesnt sound to good...
its possible that it hasnt been properly written for 64-bit yet....

this article explains that the only real macs to use 64-bit mode are the Xserves:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=4712
...but it may be a little out of date.

alepus

alepus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

@alepus

btw i pm-ed you the mediafire links for my AppleHDA patcher

1. you are probably using the right Realtek1000SL kext. i got mine from digital_dreamers UD5 kext pack.
i dont really know much about ethernet hackintosh stuff

2.you need to put orangeiconfix in /Extra not /S/L/E

i dont know about that geekbench stuff either, but that doesnt sound to good...
its possible that it hasnt been properly written for 64-bit yet....

this article explains that the only real macs to use 64-bit mode are the Xserves:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=4712
...but it may be a little out of date.

2. Ahh /Extra... ok. i googled for THe KiNG OrangeIconFix.kext and found a post by him on a different forum where he stated that it were supposed to go in /S/L/E and if /Extra it needs to be in .mkext. i'll try the /extra folder. thank

About geekbench. when i ran the 32bit geekbench in i386 SL i got around 8400points. but i wonder why the 64bit gbench in 32bit SL gave higher score. i think its more that the 64bit gbench in 32bit SL displayed wrong result rather than the performance being reduced by 64bit gbench in 64bit SL.

Thanks for the files mate! i'll try it out and hopefully have sound.

aschar1

aschar1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

i uploaded my alc889a_v2.kext again

Attached Files

Rankrotten

Rankrotten

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Has anyone tried the X58A-UD5 board with i7 930 yet?

I'm fairly new at this but learning fast.. I have no sound from ALC 889 and Orange HD icons and will try one of the options above to enable multichannel audio.

Would any of the pre-built X58A-UD7 DSDT patches work with my board?

d00d

d00d

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

i changed the dsdt HDEF patch - it reduces the popping noise after wake from sleep. At boot its completely gone.
This is for layout id 12 - which is for my legacy alc889a kext. If your legacy kext needs different layout just change the layout id to your needs (alc889 or alc888).

Thanks, I updated post 1 with a link to your post.

Has anyone tried the X58A-UD5 board with i7 930 yet?

I'm fairly new at this but learning fast.. I have no sound from ALC 889 and Orange HD icons and will try one of the options above to enable multichannel audio.

Would any of the pre-built X58A-UD7 DSDT patches work with my board?

What GA-X58A-UD7 DSDT patches are you referring to?
I suggest you add a signature stating what you are working with.
I'm guessing that it's a GA-X58A-UD5 based on your first question.
If so, none of the audio solutions in post 1 will work for you.
Here's what I wrote;
14. Audio options A through D for the Realtek ALC889A used in the GA-EX58-UD4P, GA-EX58-UD5 and GA-EX58-EXTREME.
Not applicable to the Realtek ALC888 used in the GA-EX58-UD3R, GA-EX58-UD3R-SLI, GA-EX58-UD4 and GA-EX58-DS4, or the Realtek ALC889 used in the GA-X58A models.

MowgliBook

MowgliBook

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
I've done several Boot CDs & Retail Packs for EX58-UD4P and UD5 and I've tested the latest delta of 10.6.3...

It runs smoothly, even the new AppleHDA. The OpenGL drivers are way better, (+1000pts with my GTX275)
Only issue I've to report is the power-management is not fully working, but I'm looking into it. I'll keep you posted.

http://www.mediafire.com/MowgliBook

Btw, the Optiarc DVD RW AD-5240S does not prevent idle sleep.

Variable p-states definitely don't work with MacPro4,1 model, but do work with MacPro3,1. The usual tricks don't work (the plist is not updated with 10.6.3, but the bin rest of the kext is, and it works differently)

A new error is present in the logs...
kernel	ACPI_SMC_CtrlLoop::loadStepperProgram - pmCPUControl (PMIOCSETPSTATESTEPPER) failed, result = 0x4

Rankrotten

Rankrotten

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

What GA-X58A-UD7 DSDT patches are you referring to?
I suggest you add a signature stating what you are working with.
I'm guessing that it's a GA-X58A-UD5 based on your first question.
If so, none of the audio solutions in post 1 will work for you.
Here's what I wrote;
14. Audio options A through D for the Realtek ALC889A used in the GA-EX58-UD4P, GA-EX58-UD5 and GA-EX58-EXTREME.
Not applicable to the Realtek ALC888 used in the GA-EX58-UD3R, GA-EX58-UD3R-SLI, GA-EX58-UD4 and GA-EX58-DS4, or the Realtek ALC889 used in the GA-X58A models.

Point taken.

Thanks to dood and WinstonAce's posts I have enabled audio by editing the DSDT file I found for the X58A-UD7 board along with LegacyHDA enabler, this works fine on my X58A-UD5 now.

Needed to disable AppleTyMCEdriver as it KP'd on startup with it enabled which probably means there is something not quite right with the power management?

Anyway here's my patched DSDT.aml for the X58A-UD5 board if it helps.

Attached File  dsdt.aml.zip   6.07KB   46 downloads

peach-os

peach-os

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Point taken.

Needed to disable AppleTyMCEdriver as it KP'd on startup with it enabled which probably means there is something not quite right with the power management?

if you have the macpro 4.1 in your smbiosplist the os will load this kext to add some more features, but it panics on hacs. delete this kext or change the name in smbios

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy