Same-sex marriage and politics. What say you?

Do you approve of same-sex marriage?  

189 members have voted

1. 1. Have your say

• Yay
    • Nay
    • Undecided

310 posts in this topic

Thats the world we live in, most people are tolerant, some aren't. I for one disagree with {censored} "marriage", civil union which gives the same rights as marriage is fine though, just dont want it being called marriage. If people will start to complain about what its called then maybe they dont really need to get married, as they should be happy that they receive the same rights as married couples. Their union is recognised by the state as a normal couples is. thats just my opinion anyways

hmm... same rights, but a different name.

Sounds like segregation to me.

The only reason its like that is because of the religious influence in America, that considers homosexuality a sin, and therefore needs to keep them separate by excluding them from marraige.

Well if you want to look it at from a religous standing, then yes, homosexuality is a sin, and considering marriage has always been closely tied to religion i think it is only right to keep same sex couples from getting "married". If you are going to get all whiny about it being segregation, then like i said before, you are wanting to get married for the wrong reasons, you should be getting married/ wanting to get married because you care about the person you are with and you want to spend the rest of your life with them + have your relationship recognised by the state so you can take advantage of any of the benefits that the state might offer for married couples. People should just be happy with getting civil union, because how ever hard people may wish for the world to be a tolerant utopia, it isnt, and it never will be. Anything is better than nothing the way i see it.

you should be getting married/ wanting to get married because you care about the person you are with and you want to spend the rest of your life with them + have your relationship recognised by the state so you can take advantage of any of the benefits that the state might offer for married couples. People should just be happy with getting civil union, because how ever hard people may wish for the world to be a tolerant utopia, it isnt, and it never will be. Anything is better than nothing the way i see it.

Again, I agree. Civil unions for {censored} people are a distant dream in Italy. Not even they want to call it "a marriage".

Marriage in any case is such a discredited institution in Italy, even among many heteros.

I 100% support civil unions and marriage for homosexuals. However, one must realize that religion is very important to many people {censored} 'rights' (I hate using that term, because {censored} people really are legally essential equal to straight people) isn't going to happen overnight. My personal belief is that marriage is completely civil, and none of the business of the government. Almost all governments disagree with me :) So, {censored} couples must work in baby-steps towards equality, and complaining about civil unions not being marriage is only hurting them. Marriage will follow civil union.

for a long time, interracial marriages where illegal. Yet recently (historically speaking), that has changed. So the whole "its always been that way" argument fails.

Also, marriage has been around a lot longer than Christianity see buddhism, or Chinese tradition.

I think its right for two men or women who love each other to want to be married. Hell, I think it promotes monogamous relationships, which is a good thing, religion or no.

• 3 months later...

well i'm st8 but guys it's their choice we wouldn't be bugged in.. if they wanna marry they should.. and the people who are rude think about someone tells the exact thing about you if u were homosexual/{censored}/bisexual and shut ur mouth.

The key to arguing effectively with other people is to have empathy. This is a quality that most people actually lack. They want things to be their way or no way. They cant physically understand what it's like to be in another person's shoes.

For all of you who are intolerant toward homosexuality, I can understand WHY you would feel the way you do, given beliefs, etc. However I want you to do one thing for me. Imagine that you are {censored}, imagine that you have always been that way (either through genetic, or whatever it takes for you to imagine), and imagine what it would be like to live in a society such as ours that is so hostile toward a certain group of people, if ONLY for the reason that they are {censored}...how would this make you feel?

Besides this, think of the implications one way or the other. When you deny somebody the right to choose when it has absolutely no harmful effect on anybody around them, this opens the door to pass similar legislation on ANYTHING that the state determines to be unfavorable.

Just throwing some things out there.

• 4 weeks later...

First, I like to say I am not {censored} and that I belong to what seems the most hated Republican party. With that said I would like to start out with the definition of marriage.

Marriage the formal union of a man and a woman, typically recognized by law, by which they become husband and wife.

This definition does not state recognized by God but law, and yes it does state between a man and a woman, but laws can be changed. This is easily demonstrated when slaves could not marry legally and created the practice of jumping over a broom to symbolize their union. In addition, as previously mentioned interracial marriages where also banned. Thus, we know our laws as a nation are not written in stone.

Going by the definition of marriage I don't see what the problem is. It is a union recognized by law not the the church. No sin is being cast on those that oppose this. Those opposed are not going to hell because Adam married Steve.

Moreover, when speaking of marriage and God, we don't condemed a couple who got married by the justice of the peace or Elvis. Technically there are not married in the eyes of God, but they are in the eyes of the law. I could understand the uproar over this issue if they were asking the Pope to allow them to be married in a Catholic church but they are not. By offering the term of marriage to homosexuals with have all the right, privileges that traditional male/female marriages offer, does not mean that all churches will open their doors and perform the ceremony. So where is the problem, after all we are talking legalities not religion.

Here is something to think about, are we so insecure over our heterosexuality that when someone asks us if we're married they will not automatically know our sexual orientation?

Lastly, what happened to America's belief in embracing the prosecuted for their beliefs and practices? America is a land created by embracing diversity, so if a {censored} couple wants to get married then should and have to suffer all the legalities if a divorce should happen like us strait people! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I think, what most of you will find interesting, is that you do not need the government's "permission" to get married. No matter who you are. And yes social swimmer, but you are 1/2 right. Getting a marriage license was required if you were going to file taxes, and get returns, in situations of interracial marriage. But in case you want to know, there is no law that says you can't get married.