1730 replies to this topic

jisare

jisare

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hi guys, thanks to all on the effort.
However, I received an error "No match at -e line 1, <> line 873." when extracting ACPI under ubuntu 9.10 beta installed on my harddrive. I tried both sudo and root
alternatively, i've also extracted ACPI using everest under windows, then use iasl to decompile them and followed the guide to patch dsdt, but sleep / speedstep is broken.
I have a m1330 with cpu t6400 and x3100 for graphics.
Any help is sincerely appreciated.

smartmobili

smartmobili

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

hi guys, thanks to all on the effort.
However, I received an error "No match at -e line 1, <> line 873." when extracting ACPI under ubuntu 9.10 beta installed on my harddrive. I tried both sudo and root
alternatively, i've also extracted ACPI using everest under windows, then use iasl to decompile them and followed the guide to patch dsdt, but sleep / speedstep is broken.
I have a m1330 with cpu t6400 and x3100 for graphics.
Any help is sincerely appreciated.

I suppose it's due to a bad copy/paste.
About sleep and speedstep, see my posts and you should be able to find your errors ;-)
Check kernelf flags, kexts, permissions, ...

jisare

jisare

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I suppose it's due to a bad copy/paste.
About sleep and speedstep, see my posts and you should be able to find your errors ;-)
Check kernelf flags, kexts, permissions, ...

Thank you for ur reply!
I have tried copy/paste more than 5 times, the result is the same. If it is because of bad copy/paste, how can I resolve it?
My other question is, are the acpi tables extracted under linux different from those extracted under windows and could this be the reason why sleep/speedstep don't work?
kernel flags: dropSSDT=Y
kexts:only left voodooHDA in S/L/E and some kexts from chameleon RC3 in E/E
permissions: I used kextutility to repair. In fact, I've also used diskutil but no avail.
Is the command dependant on version of perl?

jisare

jisare

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
update oct 22 2009, 4pm

sleep/speedstep work now! Thanks to all.
guess i should post my findings as well.

hardware: m1330, T6400, X3100

1. do not use ubuntu 9.10 beta to extract ACPI tables, the command given in this topic will produce an error
2. do not use everest under windows 7 to extract ACPI tables, only five SSDT will be extracted while there will be six if use ubuntu 9.04 liveCD
3. if you have x3100 as graphics, follow this post to avoid black screen http://www.insanelym...p...&p=1066381; discard the nvidia patch of course
4. attached is my working DSDT.aml, in case someone needs it.

New update! oct 22, 2009 10am

Sleep works with DSDT.aml patched from ACPI tables extracted under windows. Speed step doesn't. smbios.plist is set to macbook pro 5,1.
Attached is my DSDT.aml.
Anyone who could be kind enough to take a look for me?

Attached Files

sparrowdclxvi

sparrowdclxvi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

2. Under the "Tools" subfolder, copy "iasl" to the /sbin directory (this is the compiler/decompiler)

3. Decompile each of the required .aml files using the following command:

iasl -d [file.asl]
A [file].dsl file will be created in the same folder.

Take two. My first post seems to have disappeared! :)

I'm trying to use this guide to create a DSDT.aml file for my M1330. However, I seem to have hit a problem at the above step. It's probably me as I'm new to OS X/Linux but here goes.

When I try to run the above command, I get the following error:
root@alex-laptop:/# iasl -d SSDT_r1-PmRef-Cpu0Cst-3001-INTL-20050624.aml
-bash: /sbin/iasl: cannot execute binary file
root@alex-laptop:/# sudo iasl -d SSDT_r1-PmRef-Cpu0Cst-3001-INTL-20050624.aml
/sbin/iasl: 1: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

immo

immo

Insanely Looking for Time to Hack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Hi all.

I have updated to Snow Leopard and learned a couple of new things, so I'll update the guide when I get the chance.

One thing that surprised me is that MSR Tools no longer seems to work! How do you guys verify that speed stepping is working without MSR Tools? Or is it actually working for you guys?

Immo

FMulder

FMulder

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Hi all.

I have updated to Snow Leopard and learned a couple of new things, so I'll update the guide when I get the chance.

One thing that surprised me is that MSR Tools no longer seems to work! How do you guys verify that speed stepping is working without MSR Tools? Or is it actually working for you guys?

Immo

Hi immo, i'm currently using CoolBook and it works great for checking speedstep :wacko:
Do you have STAC9228 as audio controller? Do your internal speakers work? Mine are not working, I can hear sound only from frontal jacks...

immo

immo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Hi immo, i'm currently using CoolBook and it works great for checking speedstep ;)
Do you have STAC9228 as audio controller? Do your internal speakers work? Mine are not working, I can hear sound only from frontal jacks...

Coolbook works great thank you. Kinda miss MSR Tools though because it gave separate readouts for each core. I'll update the guide.

About the audio:
100% working. Internal mic too! Left jack works as headphone jack that cancels the speakers, and middle as line out that can be selected as an alternate output. Audio over HDMI does NOT work ;)

Use this VoodooHDA:
http://www.projectos...?...ic=355&st=0

I've heard that AppleHDA conflicts with it, so I've removed it to be safe.

Only catch is that if it is enabled when you put your lappy to sleep, the sound will become VERY staticy when it wakes up. To work around this, use sleepwatcher to unload the kext on sleep, and reload it on wake up.

FMulder

FMulder

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Use this VoodooHDA:
http://www.projectos...?...ic=355&st=0

I already use that one, but nothing :angel: thank you anyway

golden3159

golden3159

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
EDIT: never mind, it was a very noob problem.

But I do have some questions here. What, exactly is supposed to work after this is done? I have done all the steps and here is a run down of what works and doesn't work:

Works:
USB
GFX
Sound (with Voodoo kext)
Webcam
Keyboard (works but is not recognized)
Battery (installed VodooBattery)

Doesn't work:
Speedstep
Bluetooth
Trackpad scrolling
Ethernet

This actually leads me to another question - I was under the impression that a properly made DSDT.aml would eliminiate the need for kexts. Isn't it supposed to make the hardware work with OSX? Specifically, I was wondering if the sound/battery should have at least worked with my modified kext. I'm not quire sure what went wrong with the speedstep, i'll have to give it another try. In fact, the only thing that really was fixed in my dsdt modification was the USB.

Question 2 : The only step I skipped was the following:

Required: Using DSDT Patcher to do Final Patches:
In the DSDT Patcher directory run the following command:

Do you think not using DSDT patcher was responsible for my problems? I thought that was just an optional tool to automatically apply fixes.

Question 3: I had to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (otherwise I got kernel panics). Did I do something wrong here?

jisare

jisare

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi all.

Immo

MSR tools works on 10.5.8

immo

immo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Your kernel panics and not-working speedstep are because you didn't use the patcher. Use the patcher and both will start to work. After you fix your DSDT, put back in the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. It is required for sleep and speed stepping.

The patcher replaces a part of the DSDT called HPET with one that is compatible with OS-X. The one built into the Dell is not compatible at all.

What the DSDTs get working that did not work before is:
Vanilla speedstep, sleep, Video, USB fixes, clamshell display, and Time Machine (I have used a DSDT before that broke Time Machine). You still need VoodooBattery for the battery readout. I haven't got working scrolling or ethernet either (you have an M1330? Nobody has working ethernet on those, I use the Apple usb-ethernet adaptor), but my Bluetooth works fine. As I mentioned earlier, I use VoodooHDA for sound.

There is definitely the potential to get more working with DSDTs, we just haven't figured it out yet :( M1330's ethernet and PS2 will never work without additional kexts because support for these are not in OS-X (unless Apple releases a computer that uses the same ethernet as the M1330 and a PS2 trackpad, both of which are pretty unlikely). Basically all the DSDTs do is fake the OS out into thinking that your hardware is Mac hardware, but if the device is too different from the Mac hardware you need a kext (driver). It may be possible to get vanilla sound through a DSDT, but I'm not sure.

EDIT: never mind, it was a very noob problem.

But I do have some questions here. What, exactly is supposed to work after this is done? I have done all the steps and here is a run down of what works and doesn't work:

Works:
USB
GFX
Sound (with Voodoo kext)
Webcam
Keyboard (works but is not recognized)
Battery (installed VodooBattery)

Doesn't work:
Speedstep
Bluetooth
Trackpad scrolling
Ethernet

This actually leads me to another question - I was under the impression that a properly made DSDT.aml would eliminiate the need for kexts. Isn't it supposed to make the hardware work with OSX? Specifically, I was wondering if the sound/battery should have at least worked with my modified kext. I'm not quire sure what went wrong with the speedstep, i'll have to give it another try. In fact, the only thing that really was fixed in my dsdt modification was the USB.

Question 2 : The only step I skipped was the following:

Do you think not using DSDT patcher was responsible for my problems? I thought that was just an optional tool to automatically apply fixes.

Question 3: I had to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (otherwise I got kernel panics). Did I do something wrong here?

sparrowdclxvi

sparrowdclxvi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Take two. My first post seems to have disappeared! :)

I'm trying to use this guide to create a DSDT.aml file for my M1330. However, I seem to have hit a problem at the above step. It's probably me as I'm new to OS X/Linux but here goes.

When I try to run the above command, I get the following error:
root@alex-laptop:/# iasl -d SSDT_r1-PmRef-Cpu0Cst-3001-INTL-20050624.aml
-bash: /sbin/iasl: cannot execute binary file
root@alex-laptop:/# sudo iasl -d SSDT_r1-PmRef-Cpu0Cst-3001-INTL-20050624.aml
/sbin/iasl: 1: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I fixed this. Instead of copying the iasl file from the patcher, I downloaded it by running:
sudo apt-get install iasl

immo

immo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

I fixed this. Instead of copying the iasl file from the patcher, I downloaded it by running:

sudo apt-get install iasl

After seeing your solution I know why you were having trouble. The patcher is for OS-X, not Linux :)
I prefer doing my work (and everything else) in OS-X and compiling iasl under OS-X is a real pain, so that's why I recommend the grabbing the executable from the patcher. Of course you could do it all just as easily under Linux.

Immo

sparrowdclxvi

sparrowdclxvi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

After seeing your solution I know why you were having trouble. The patcher is for OS-X, not Linux :D
I prefer doing my work (and everything else) in OS-X and compiling iasl under OS-X is a real pain, so that's why I recommend the grabbing the executable from the patcher. Of course you could do it all just as easily under Linux.

Immo

Thanks for the reply Immo. However, I'm now a bit confused.

Should I only do Step 1 in Ubuntu, and Step 2 and 3 in OS X? Or Step 1 and 2 in Ubuntu, and Step 3 in OS X?

Thanks

immo

immo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Thanks for the reply Immo. However, I'm now a bit confused.

Should I only do Step 1 in Ubuntu, and Step 2 and 3 in OS X? Or Step 1 and 2 in Ubuntu, and Step 3 in OS X?

Thanks

What I intended guide followers to do when I wrote it is do Step 1 in Ubuntu, and the remaining in OS-X, although after reading over the guide again perhaps this isn't clear. As you have already figured out, you can do up to step 3 with the exception of running the patcher in Linux if you prefer. Personally I like to get the heck out of Linux as fast as possible :angry: I'll update the guide later to make this more clear.

Good luck.

Immo

sparrowdclxvi

sparrowdclxvi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

What I intended guide followers to do when I wrote it is do Step 1 in Ubuntu, and the remaining in OS-X, although after reading over the guide again perhaps this isn't clear. As you have already figured out, you can do up to step 3 with the exception of running the patcher in Linux if you prefer. Personally I like to get the heck out of Linux as fast as possible :rolleyes: I'll update the guide later to make this more clear.

Good luck.

Immo

Cool. Thanks for the help. :)

densen

densen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
I seem to be having a problem with my speedstep. It works perfectly on initial boot up, Coolbook shows it running at 800mhz, it steps up and down as it should, depending on the load.

However, if I put the laptop to sleep and wake it up, it gets stuck at 1200mhz and does not step up or down. This makes it hotter than it needs to be. I have tried using a number of DSDT files with my own ACPI dumps and other people's (with my CPU), tried with undervolted config and it didn't fix the problem.

Does anyone else have this problem? How can I keep native speedstep working after I wake from sleep? Is there something I'm missing or I need to fix? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using M1330 with nVidia GPU and T9300 CPU. Current DSDT attached.

Attached File  DSDT.aml.zip   10.96KB   45 downloads

immo

immo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

I seem to be having a problem with my speedstep. It works perfectly on initial boot up, Coolbook shows it running at 800mhz, it steps up and down as it should, depending on the load.

However, if I put the laptop to sleep and wake it up, it gets stuck at 1200mhz and does not step up or down. This makes it hotter than it needs to be. I have tried using a number of DSDT files with my own ACPI dumps and other people's (with my CPU), tried with undervolted config and it didn't fix the problem.

Does anyone else have this problem? How can I keep native speedstep working after I wake from sleep? Is there something I'm missing or I need to fix? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using M1330 with nVidia GPU and T9300 CPU. Current DSDT attached.

Attached File  DSDT.aml.zip   10.96KB   45 downloads

I've had odd issues similar to the ones that you've described under the following situations:
1. Incorrect data or bad permissions in the smbios.plist file.
2. Specifying the DSDT location using the DSDT= flag at boot, instead of putting it into the default location.
3. Chameleon reading com.Apple.boot.plist (and smbios.plist?) off of the wrong partition.

The other one I got was a repeated freezing and un-freezing (thawing?) after waking up from sleep.
I would check these over again. Use CPUX to make sure you got the correct bus speed (make sure that the CPU frequency is set correct as well). Do a sanity check to make sure your system info matches the data you entered in the plist. It's actually possible for Chameleon to read the plist file off of another OS-X installation if you have more than one. If this occurs, simply make your changes to the partition that it is reading from. I use Kext Helper to make sure my permissions are correct.

Good luck

Immo

sparrowdclxvi

sparrowdclxvi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi immo

I've created and successfully compiled my new DSDT.aml.
However, when I installed Chameleon, it didn't create a /Extra folder. I had to create it manually.

So I have three questions:

• What directories/files should be in the /Extra folder?
  • Should I copy all the Extensions folder shipped with Chameleon 2.0 RC3 to /Extra/Extension on my machine? Or just some, or none?
  • There is no com.apple.Boot.plist in the /Extra folder (as I had to create it manually). Where can I get one from?
Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy