[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

Ok well after editing talisman's dsdt file with the _pss fields of this other person who had a T7500's data, it seems that my speedsteping is fully working. Verified via coolbook, shows the 5 frequencies and their voltages, as well as shows that right now i'm running at 800mhz with a .85v like I should.

If it ends up that I needed to change something besides those _pss fields, please let me know.

Thanks for this guide and thanks to everyone who's posted their files for me to dissect.

I've attached the file if there is anyone looking for something similar.

dsdt.aml._m1530_8600tg_T7500_.zip

Ok well after editing talisman's dsdt file with the _pss fields of this other person who had a T7500's data, it seems that my speedsteping is fully working. Verified via coolbook, shows the 5 frequencies and their voltages, as well as shows that right now i'm running at 800mhz with a .85v like I should.

If it ends up that I needed to change something besides those _pss fields, please let me know.

Thanks for this guide and thanks to everyone who's posted their files for me to dissect.

I've attached the file if there is anyone looking for something similar.

Glad you got it to work. Just for informational purposes, speed step works fine with the AnyCPU DSDTs. It will take the SSDT tables (including the _pss fields) from the bios. Just make sure the smbios.plist file is setup correctly as instructed by the guide, and do NOT use the DropSSDT=y flag. I've been using a generic DSDT since I learned how to make them.

Immo

3. Copy the attached smbios.plist file to the /Extra folder and edit it to match your hardware. Set SMmaximalclock to your processor speed in MHz, your SMexternalclock to your bus speed, and SMSerial to something unique but with the same number of characters. If you do not know the bus speed you can use the utility CPU-X to look it up.

ok, so I grabbed the Generic and the smbios that you have posted in the original post... threw them on this 2.2ghz T7500. I edited the SMmaximalclock to 2200, I left the SMexternalclock to 200mhz (***is it supposed to be 800mhz?***) and swapped the SMSerial to a unique 12 digit item.

So anyways, after rebooting I loaded up coolbook and it's showing 800, 1200, 1600, 2200, 2400.... um, it's a 2.2ghz...

So, what am I missing? I haven't seen coolbook show it jump up to 2400mhz yet, so I'm guessing it's just not reading something right... Speedstep seems to be working as I see the speed going up and down from 800 - 2200mhz.

ok, so I grabbed the Generic and the smbios that you have posted in the original post... threw them on this 2.2ghz T7500. I edited the SMmaximalclock to 2200, I left the SMexternalclock to 200mhz (***is it supposed to be 800mhz?***) and swapped the SMSerial to a unique 12 digit item.

So anyways, after rebooting I loaded up coolbook and it's showing 800, 1200, 1600, 2200, 2400.... um, it's a 2.2ghz...

So, what am I missing? I haven't seen coolbook show it jump up to 2400mhz yet, so I'm guessing it's just not reading something right... Speedstep seems to be working as I see the speed going up and down from 800 - 2200mhz.

Yup that's normal. Had me confused at first also. The extra speed state is "IDA" (Intel Dynamic Acceleration), which in a nutshell sleeps one core and overclocks the other. The 2400 state that coolbook is showing is this IDA state. Not sure if OS-X ever uses it or not...

Immo

Firstly I am wondering if anyone has built DSDT.aml for a T7700 CPU. Secondly, when building ACPI-Tables.zip inside acpi I only have 4 files (not 6). And I see no DSDT_r2-INT430-SYSFexxx-1001-INTL-20050624.aml or any DSDT_r2 ones, just DSDT_r1. Any advice?

Firstly I am wondering if anyone has built DSDT.aml for a T7700 CPU. Secondly, when building ACPI-Tables.zip inside acpi I only have 4 files (not 6). And I see no DSDT_r2-INT430-SYSFexxx-1001-INTL-20050624.aml or any DSDT_r2 ones, just DSDT_r1. Any advice?

Looking at your specs, your system is VERY different from an M1330 or M1530, so those in this thread probably can't help you too much. It is likely that much of what is in this guide will not apply to your computer. The names of the tables are up to the motherboard manufacturer, so I'm sure that the one that starts with DSDT is in fact the DSDT, and if the other tables start with SSDT, they would be the SSDT tables. The tables are in the bios, so they more relate to the specific motherboard rather than the chipset or CPU. Another potential issue with desktops is that many have incorrect or incomplete SSDT tables. They don't care because they figure power management isn't a big issue on a desktop.

Immo

Sorry maybe I wasn't clear enough lol. I have a XPS M1530, I just didn't list it in my bio. I don't tend to use my laptop as much as my desktop computers. But I would love to have it working similarly. So back to my original question, I only have 4 files, am I supposed to have 6, and yes this was on my XPS :D

Sorry maybe I wasn't clear enough lol. I have a XPS M1530, I just didn't list it in my bio. I don't tend to use my laptop as much as my desktop computers. But I would love to have it working similarly. So back to my original question, I only have 4 files, am I supposed to have 6, and yes this was on my XPS :(

Actually I have an M1330 myself, so I'm not sure :( Can any of you M1530 guys enlighten us? BTW Brett Whinnen's Any CPU DSDT on the first post works great (assuming you have NVidia graphics). There's really no advantage to making a CPU specific one unless you plan to customize the power states (undervolt, add states, etc). I've been using an Any CPU DSDT since people on this thread have figured out how to do it.

Immo

Well thanks for letting me know. Yeah that DSDT works great. I am now using OSXRestart.kext to get Restart working. So now all I have left is sleep...and a good wifi card. My belkin F5D8073 only likes to work some of the time, I don't know if it is kext related or not, but the Ralink software always says No Device, not much I can do about that. Until Intel 4965 cards have better support I'll have to research the best wifi cards to buy. What do you use in your M1330?

Well thanks for letting me know. Yeah that DSDT works great. I am now using OSXRestart.kext to get Restart working. So now all I have left is sleep...and a good wifi card. My belkin F5D8073 only likes to work some of the time, I don't know if it is kext related or not, but the Ralink software always says No Device, not much I can do about that. Until Intel 4965 cards have better support I'll have to research the best wifi cards to buy. What do you use in your M1330?

Good call. I use a Dell TrueMobile 1505 Draft N. Works perfect out of the box and at N speeds. It's detected as an Airport card.

Immo

Hi everybody,

i'm a newbie in the OSx86 scene, but I worked my way around through the forums and managed to install a retail version of SL on my M1330. Actually, I'm quiet happy with the results - almost everything works the way I want it (thanks to the many guide-writers and file-posters out there !).

ALMOST everything... I simply cannot get any sound out of my machine! No speakers, no headphones, no mics, nothing!

I've tried many described ways but nothing worked, so the last option for me is asking you guys, before I get frustrated too much.

SO: Whats wrong with my setup? (I've attached my /Extra - folder completely, and a screenshot of my sound-prefs)

My details: chameleon rc5 pre-release, retail Snow Leopard 10.6.2 (vanilla), ANY_CPU_DSDT-file from page no.1 of this thread, other files - edited to fit my machine (see /Extra - folder)

My machine: M1330, T7500 (2,2 GHz), Nvidia 8400 GS, Dell wireless 1505 Draft N, LED Backlight

Thank you, guys!wink_anim.gif

Extra.zip

post-580312-1267272383_thumb.png

Hello,

If you lost HPET support in latest Dell bios, here is my patch for M1730 A10:

--- dsdt.dsl.orig	   2010-02-22 23:53:28.000000000 +0300
  +++ dsdt.dsl	2010-02-25 03:27:07.000000000 +0300
  @@ -1510,6 +2039,14 @@
					Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0C01"))
					Name (BUF0, ResourceTemplate ()
					{
  +						IRQNoFlags ()
  +							{0}
  +						IRQNoFlags ()
  +							{8}
  +					   IRQNoFlags ()
  +							{11}
  +						IRQNoFlags ()
  +							{15}
						Memory32Fixed (ReadOnly,
							0xFED00000,		 // Address Base
							0x00000400,		 // Address Length
  @@ -1522,7 +2059,7 @@
							Return (0x0F)
						}

-						Return (0x00)
  +						Return (0x0F)
					}

Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)

and fixed full HPET section to adopt to your needs:

Device (HPET)
			   {
				   Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0103"))
				   Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0C01"))
				   Name (BUF0, ResourceTemplate ()
				   {
					   IRQNoFlags ()
						   {0}
					   IRQNoFlags ()
						   {8}
					   IRQNoFlags ()
						   {11}
					   IRQNoFlags ()
						   {15}
					   Memory32Fixed (ReadOnly,
						   0xFED00000,		 // Address Base
						   0x00000400,		 // Address Length
						   )
				   })
				   Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
				   {
					   If (LGreaterEqual (OSID (), 0x10))
					   {
						   Return (0x0F)
					   }

Return (0x0F)
				   }

Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)
				   {
					   Return (BUF0)
				   }
			   }
		   }

Hi everybody,

ALMOST everything... I simply cannot get any sound out of my machine! No speakers, no headphones, no mics, nothing!

I've tried many described ways but nothing worked, so the last option for me is asking you guys, before I get frustrated too much.

SO: Whats wrong with my setup? (I've attached my /Extra - folder completely, and a screenshot of my sound-prefs)

Try moving VoodooHDA to /System/Library/Extensions and rebuilding your kext caches (I use Kext Utility). For whatever reason VoodooHDA does not work in /Extra/Extensions. Make sure you are using Slice's version.

Immo

Try moving VoodooHDA to /System/Library/Extensions and rebuilding your kext caches (I use Kext Utility). For whatever reason VoodooHDA does not work in /Extra/Extensions. Make sure you are using Slice's version.

Immo

Ok, now this worked partially... I have sound now (thank you so far biggrin.gif).

BOTH MICs: WORKING

Earphones : WORKING

Speakers: NOT WORKING (but I've read somewhere thet that's a problem with nVidia graphics, right?)

Thanks!

Ok, now this worked partially... I have sound now (thank you so far biggrin.gif).

Speakers: NOT WORKING (but I've read somewhere thet that's a problem with nVidia graphics, right?)

Thanks!

Can't help you there ;) I think it is related to different hardware revisions.

Hey, wonderful guide. I'm very new to this so i dont know if i should be posting this here, however, i have a t8300 2.40ghz with nvidia gpu and i've been using the DSDT.aml for any cpu with nvidia graphics. All the kexts work that have been provided, except slice's voodoohda. When placed in the S/L/E i get a kernel panic and can't even boot into the system, forcing me to either reinstall snow leopard or another operating system. Is there something that i'm doing wrong? I've had to go through this twice, the first time I thought it could have been because I used macgirl's nvinject but it wasn't it because the second time I tryed to install the voodoohda kext, nvinject was not installed.

I'm using:

fakesmc.kext

VoodooTSCSync.kext

VoodooBattery.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

VoodooPS2Controller.kext

VoodooSDHC.kext

NVinject.kext

Both installations I was also using chameleon RC4. I am at wits end because everything works perfectly except the sound. =(

Thanks

-Adam

EDIT: nevermind, i didn't backup and delete the original AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E before installing with kext utility.

Thanks!

This is apparently a problem on some m1330s but not others. There is a topic on it

HERE

I know this subjects been beaten to death, but has anyone actually gotten sleep to work on their m1530? I've tried using every DSDT (including brett's) and have absolutely everything working, except for sleep. My computer completely reboots if i try to put it to sleep! I've tried using newer (10.6.2 & .3) sleepenabler.kext & a slew of other things i've found via search. All of these options either make my computer unbootable, or don't fix the problem.

Anyone have any success with sleep? Thanks ^_^

I know this subjects been beaten to death, but has anyone actually gotten sleep to work on their m1530? I've tried using every DSDT (including brett's) and have absolutely everything working, except for sleep. My computer completely reboots if i try to put it to sleep! I've tried using newer (10.6.2 & .3) sleepenabler.kext & a slew of other things i've found via search. All of these options either make my computer unbootable, or don't fix the problem.

Anyone have any success with sleep? Thanks ;)

Sleep works fine. Read the guide carefully as to how to use the DSDT.aml. It's not exactly plug and play. As the guide says, you should not be using any SleepEnabler.kext, and there may be other kexts that you are using that are interfering. Also be aware that if you have two OS-X installations, sometimes Chamelleon will read the DSDT.aml and smbios.plist off of the other installation no matter which OS-X you choose to boot. As long as you install using a retail Snow Leopard disk and Superhai's boot disk and use only the kexts suggested by the guide you should be fine.

Immo

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone!

Has anyone made a DSDT.aml for my system specifications? Does having a CPU spefic DSDT.aml make OSX run better? What's the advantage?

my System Specs Are:

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7700 2.4Ghz

Geforce 8600M GT

2.5GB RAM

Intel 4965AGN (Gonna replace it with a Dell Wifi)

250GB SATA WD 7200RPM

Bluetooth

Over on the Gigabyte fixes for DSDT they've figured out how to get shutdown to work.

For shutdown you need this:

CODE

OperationRegion (PMRS, SystemIO, 0x0430, 0x1)

Field (PMRS, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)

{

, 4,

SLPE, 1

}

and this in method PTS

CODE

If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x05))

{

Store (Zero, SLPE)

Sleep(0x10)

}

/edit

Address 0x430 is PMBASE+30h if someone tries to use this on something other than a Gigabyte board

The above is for an ICH10 southbridge. On the m1330 and m1530 we have a ICH8-m. I looked in the data sheet and the registers are similar.

Reading the ICH10 datasheet on the SMI_EN register it is at PM_base + 30h. PM_base on the gigabyte mobos in question is 400 hence 430.

If I understand the ACPI spec, the the PMRS field is describing filler for bits 0-3 in the SMI_EN register and bit 4, SLPE. Is this correct? On the ICH10 this bit 4 is SLP_SMI_EN. The layout of the SMI_EN register for ICH8-m is the same for the first 18 bits of both registers. The register is also at the same offset from PM_base. But PM_base on our system is 1000 not 400 (as evidenced in the dsdt by Processor (CPU0, 0x00, 0x00001010, 0x06). So the operation region would above would be changed to OperationRegion (PMRS, SystemIO, 0x01030, 0x1).

Then the rest of the fix should work. Can anyone vet the above at least theoretically?