Radeon HD 5870 / HD 5850

ixxxion

614 posts in this topic

The thing that makes me wonder is why only few radeon chips works out of the box with Mac when they DO use 4670 in iMac and 4850 in MacPro (correct me if i'm wrong on the series too lazy to go check wether its 4870 or 4850 ...).

My HIS 4670 is not working properly with 10.6 ...

Almost every nVidia i tried work out of the box (sometimes using a kest or two) .....

It's really bad since for gaming and windows i find ATI cards better / less expensive for similar power.

im in a similar boat as you guys. i had an evga 8600gts (nvidia card) installed and working beautifully, but then i decided my gaming performance was just too damn pathetic, and i went out and bought a sapphire 5770. so i pop it in, enjoy a few days of orgasmic crysis gaming, then head over to my osx leopard install.

the display still worked just fine with my nvidia kexts, (surprisingly) albeit with a slightly crippled aspect ratio. (1080 by w/e, neways it was 4:3. seems to be what people are talking about here.)

my first question was should i delete my nvidia kexts before i install ati kexts? i was just going to use my hackintosh install disc to do an update-install.

but now i see there are more problems than just this. it seems the big problems are with the 58xx series however. has anyone gotten a nice 16:10 ratio with their 57xx cards? any special tricks?

thanks all

for all that awaits 58xx support it wont be far away nor is it close just wait till either amd or apple says a 5870 is coming to mac pro or in a beta version of say 10.6.x latest news @ netkas.org kthx

• 3 weeks later...

Do you think 10.6.3 will bring support for ATI mobility radeon HD 5650??

What would happen if you installed osx86 on a laptop with the mobility 5650, lets say 10.6.2 doesn't support it, are you still able to see the installer (will it use a low-res generic driver)?