• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

Brewers

Brewers

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

So the problem is not in kext but application. It should be easy if my system could sleep...

My system can sleep, and as you quoted, we use the same MB... I will post a list of my kexts and further configuration when I get home this afternoon, so that we can set up your system for sleep :)

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 2,880 posts

You hear "DONG" if you set pstate-min (highest) > p-state max (lowest). Did you change only pstate-min from default ?

Sorry, i dl lastest and also dong, dong, dong in the preferences.
I cant change anything, also the threshoots not.
Always on "dong". Only when i press Defaults no dong and the default is shown.
If i change any of the prefs and press Apply or Save i hear a dong.

So how i can set my PStateLimit to 1 (not going to PSate 0) ?

Can you add those prefs not also in the .kext ?
This may be needed, because i cant kextload the .kext and must first setup the Limit to 1 in the Psatechanger.
Or does all dongs come because at this moment no .kext is loaded ? As i said i cant load the kext without be sure that it didnt switch in Pstate 0 (highest Mhz).

hnak

hnak

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Sorry, i dl lastest and also dong, dong, dong in the preferences.
I cant change anything, also the threshoots not.
Always on "dong". Only when i press Defaults no dong and the default is shown.
If i change any of the prefs and press Apply or Save i hear a dong.

So how i can set my PStateLimit to 1 (not going to PSate 0) ?

Can you add those prefs not also in the .kext ?
This may be needed, because i cant kextload the .kext and must first setup the Limit to 1 in the Psatechanger.
Or does all dongs come because at this moment no .kext is loaded ? As i said i cant load the kext without be sure that it didnt switch in Pstate 0 (highest Mhz).

You cannot change prefs unless you load the kext. It checks if p-state <= max.
It's safe to load the kext as it switches p-state to max available (lowest clock) at startup.

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 2,880 posts

You cannot change prefs unless you load the kext. It checks if p-state <= max.
It's safe to load the kext as it switches p-state to max available (lowest clock) at startup.

Excat !
I did load now the .kext and set the pState Limit later. So it does work now. I thought it would be better to set the klimit before using the .kext.
How does the .kext knows at next usage about that setting ?
Its because i didnt know where that limit is saved. For example if i kextload it at next boottime (without starting the PstateChanger again) in an high cpu usage situation and it will not now that limit i will get KP for sure.

Thanks !!

hnak

hnak

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Excat !
I did load now the .kext and set the pState Limit later. So it does work now. I thought it would be better to set the klimit before using the .kext.
How does the .kext knows at next usage about that setting ?
Its because i didnt know where that limit is saved. For example if i kextload it at next boottime (without starting the PstateChanger again) in an high cpu usage situation and it will not now that limit i will get KP for sure.

Thanks !!

Good! I make the mechanism a little bit clearer.
Kext does not know anything about the setting. It just sets p-state to the lowest clock at startup and waits for incoming requests of p-state switch.
Preference is saved/loaded by PStateChanger application. So, p-state never rises unless the application runs.

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 2,880 posts

Good! I make the mechanism a little bit clearer.
Kext does not know anything about the setting. It just sets p-state to the lowest clock at startup and waits for incoming requests of p-state switch.
Preference is saved/loaded by PStateChanger application. So, p-state never rises unless the application runs.

That could be problematic in my case (never should switch to Psate 0)- if i would kextload it in an high cpu load situation it will KP my system getting to Pstate 0 before i can run the PStateChanger to Limit Pstate to 1.
would be nice to add, like you have done for Voltage settings and voodoopower has for all settings, to include the Pstate Limits also in the .plist of the .kext.

hnak

hnak

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

That could be problematic in my case (never should switch to Psate 0)- if i would kextload it in an high cpu load situation it will KP my system getting to Pstate 0 before i can run the PStateChanger to Limit Pstate to 1.
would be nice to add, like you have done for Voltage settings and voodoopower has for all settings, to include the Pstate Limits also in the .plist of the .kext.

PState.kext NEVER raises p-state from the lowest level unless PStateChanger is launched ( no matter how much cpu load exists ). So, if you kextload in high cpu load situation, it just slows down CPU, or does nothing if already in the lowest state.
Only PStateChanger changes p-state.
Just launch PStateChanger when your cpu is not busy, then apply & save prefs. It will not take 10 seconds.

If you think 10 seconds are too long, just modify the code to set min p-state to 1 and build your customized app.
Change defaultPref() of preference.c as:
void defaultPref(PSTATECHANGER_PREF* pPref, int pstateCount){	...	pPref->pstate_min = 1; // 0;	...}

In which p-state does your system boot when there is no p-state controlling kext loaded ?

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 2,880 posts
THANKS !! No need for .plist changes if the .kext leave CPU on slowest MHZ (Pstate) until the control app is started.
highest
Without any OS X .kext for pstates ? I think it will stay always in the fastest MHZ available.
Because the bios limits the multi (9*333 , default: 10*266) i have Psates für multi 6+7+8+9 (not 10).
All that 4 (not the 10*) are as psates listed in the dsdt.
Whats funny is that, if i use that iMark (was iCPU) tool (also app + .kext set) it switches never to the problematic pstate 0 (10* ) , their i get pstate 4 (6*) up to pstate 1 (9*).

Have you ever tried to limit (set down one for an test) the multi in your bios ? It should not damage you CPU if you switch down one multilevel.
The .kext seems to not see / acept that and tries to set highest multi (in my case 10 *) even if not available (limited by bios).

Brewers

Brewers

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
hnak,

can you modify the app so that it doesn't show the CPU graph in the dock, or best, doesn't show up at all? ;) The graph is quite ugly, and I do not like moving things in my dock. I searched for a way to hide apps there, but Google wasn't particularly helpful.

Maybe you can make this behaviour optional, for those that like a CPU graph in their dock ;)

hnak

hnak

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Have you ever tried to limit (set down one for an test) the multi in your bios ? It should not damage you CPU if you switch down one multilevel.
The .kext seems to not see / acept that and tries to set highest multi (in my case 10 *) even if not available (limited by bios).

No, I haven't.
I actually did not change the logic of kext and it is exactly the same as VoodooPower, which does not extract information from BIOS.

hnak,

can you modify the app so that it doesn't show the CPU graph in the dock, or best, doesn't show up at all? :) The graph is quite ugly, and I do not like moving things in my dock. I searched for a way to hide apps there, but Google wasn't particularly helpful.

Maybe you can make this behaviour optional, for those that like a CPU graph in their dock ;)

For now, you can use 1.0.1 to avoid Doc icon animation.

userx

userx

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

hnak,

can you modify the app so that it doesn't show the CPU graph in the dock, or best, doesn't show up at all? :) The graph is quite ugly, and I do not like moving things in my dock. I searched for a way to hide apps there, but Google wasn't particularly helpful.

Maybe you can make this behaviour optional, for those that like a CPU graph in their dock :)

You can use Dock Dodger to get rid of the dock icon all together. Set PStateChanger to "hide" in Login Items. A reboot may be required to get rid of the PStateChanger window from popping up after you use Dock Dodger.

http://foggynoggin.com/dockdodger

Check Activety Monitor to make sure it's running.

Hope that helps... :)

Brewers

Brewers

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Thanks, I already found a similar application, called Dockless :)

On another note... I get a 'hanging' mouse cursor whenever the Pstate changes. The cursor stays in its place and jumps to the actual position where it's supposed to be shortly afterwards (after the timer interval? Already set it to 250ms, but it doesn't seem to help).

Also, the memory usage is quite hefty, uses 300Mb after running nonstop for 3 days. Doesn't really concern me, since I have 8GB of RAM, but others may feel different. :)

Apart from that, no problems so far, no crashes, etc. Quite a nice tool :)

hnak

hnak

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Also, the memory usage is quite hefty, uses 300Mb after running nonstop for 3 days. Doesn't really concern me, since I have 8GB of RAM, but others may feel different. :D

Ooops! It is a sign of memory leaks.
I uploaded a fixed version (1.0.3).

markswell

markswell

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Whats funny is that, if i use that iMark (was iCPU) tool (also app + .kext set)

metchde my tool is not based on voodoomonitor/cpu-i or generic/voodoopower, it do another way.

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 2,880 posts
Thanks imark for clearing difference way of throttling for iMark.
Latest iMark & Ringpower.kext does work in 10.5(with 10.5 kext version) and 10.6 very well with my OC sytem : BIOS FSB higher but one step in fsb multiplier less = no KPs as with voodoopoer based tools without manual limit to PState 1: ) ).

userx

userx

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
I find that v1.0.1 uses half the CPU of v1.0.3. Does v1.0.1 also have memory issues?

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 2,880 posts

I find that v1.0.1 uses half the CPU of v1.0.3. Does v1.0.1 also have memory issues?

?? Whatt do you mean with "half" . Half of CPU % using the control app ?

aka120

aka120

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

hnak,

Maybe you can make this behaviour optional, for those that like a CPU graph in their dock B)

I know its a bit late, but you can hide the dock icon without any third party apps...
just edit the PStateChanger.app's info.plist, to include this key/string...
[KEY]NSUIElement[/KEY]
   [STRING]1[/STRING]
And this will hide the icon from the dock permanently :blink:

On a side note, I wouldn't call it an "ugly" graph, that's a bit harsh...

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 2,880 posts
NEWS + Pstates HINT:
I found out that latest (1.0.3) .kext has an key to enable UseACPI.
It switches to an other way to get the available Pstates (if set NO=default) the .kext uses an build in routine to compute all possible Psates from cpu type and fsb.
With UseACPI set YES it takes the bios/dsdt psates.
Advantage of NO(default) is, that those voodoopower based .kext can compute pstates even bios or dsdt havent pstates to give. Other powermanager may fail if ACPI (bios or dsdt) didnt have pstates.
Problem of NO (default) is, that if someone set multi in bios up or down the voodoopower gets wrong with the availbale pstates (KP or not full speed).
Now i must not limit to Psate = 1 (with control app prefs) anymore to avoud KP in an OC System (OC by FSB+, Multi -) :D

Problem with 1.0.3 :
Bug: Voltage is shown always 0 :unsure: Was not with before versions, there where correct Volts shown (no UseACPI key).

Pics left shows Pstates 0 - 3 (max. 2999 MHz) =correct if with UseACPI YES :) ,
with UseACPI NO(default) Pstates 0 -4, Pstate 0=3333 Mhz = not available / not in dsdt (ACPI) = much to high for my OC 2666 MHz CPU
right shows Volts always 0

Attached Files

userx

userx

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

?? Whatt do you mean with "half" . Half of CPU % using the control app ?

yes... v1.0.3 uses twice the cpu %.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy