Install Guide for Snow Leopard on a P6T (non deluxe)

Searay_X

Please tell me about your experience with this guide ;)  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Was this helpful?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Did it work for you?

• Yes
    • No

550 posts in this topic

Sorry to repeat but this is going to help a lot of people in the short-term

MAJOR UPDATE 09-24-09...

As you all are aware I am looking to write a fix for AHCI mode on this and other X58 boards with issues.

In testing, I changed my main drive mode to IDE compatible after install, plugged in 3 drives and a BRW/DVD/CDRW and have NO issues.

I know we all want to run AHCI but in the short term this is a good fix!!! You still set the EFI boot the same, SL drive in port 0 and so on, the only difference is turn off AHCI. I have not tried to install this way as the mod was done post install but it fixed slow additional drives, DVD issues and all the other problems with - no more having to plug in the CD/DVD into the internal JMicron port (which by the way can remain AHCI as my E-SATA drives pickup and work fine. Very strange but I will get to the bottom of the AHCI issue.

So for now, if you want a flawless running SL install on a P6T, until I (or someone) comes up with an AHCI fix, this is the way to go.

I will try the install in my guide here with ACHI off and see what happens. I will report more tomorrow...

Regards,

Ryan (aka Searay)

Hi Ryan,

The fix for this problem already exist, user The King from ProjectX forum put a DSDT solution, I already tested and works great, Snow install with AHCI enable and without any issues.

-----------------------------

Slow SATA issue FIX, How to fix HPET IRQ conflict that cause that

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=564

[]s

VultU

Curitiba - Brasil

Hi Ryan,

The fix for this problem already exist, user The King from ProjectX forum put a DSDT solution, I already tested and works great, Snow install with AHCI enable and without any issues.

[]s

VultU

Curitiba - Brasil

Sorry for the short response but I'm mobile again on my iPhone -

THANK YOU for saving me a massive headache ;)

Regards,

Ryan

:o You need to see my update regarding multiple drives at the top of my guide and repeated below... SL does NOT like the P6T ICH10 - and multiple drives - I have a workaround but to do the install, since I have not tested the install using the workaround, unplug everything except the SL drive in port 0 and your EFI USB drive as stated in the guide (or test the workaround)... Also, I am not certain as to the specifics of the SE - I am almost sure I will have to give you some specific kext's for audio as I believe (not sure and too lazy to look right now) that the SE uses a different audio chipset - Voodoo HDA is worth a try once your running and can install and boot. - I have an SE on order as well as a P6T V1, 2 and a WS PRO.

The rule of thumb is to get the BASIC working then add devices one at a time...

Good luck -

Sorry to repeat but this is going to help a lot of people in the short-term

MAJOR UPDATE 09-24-09...

As you all are aware I am looking to write a fix for AHCI mode on this and other X58 boards with issues.

In testing, I changed my main drive mode to IDE compatible after install, plugged in 3 drives and a BRW/DVD/CDRW and have NO issues.

I know we all want to run AHCI but in the short term this is a good fix!!! You still set the EFI boot the same, SL drive in port 0 and so on, the only difference is turn off AHCI. I have not tried to install this way as the mod was done post install but it fixed slow additional drives, DVD issues and all the other problems with - no more having to plug in the CD/DVD into the internal JMicron port (which by the way can remain AHCI as my E-SATA drives pickup and work fine. Very strange but I will get to the bottom of the AHCI issue.

So for now, if you want a flawless running SL install on a P6T, until I (or someone) comes up with an AHCI fix, this is the way to go.

I will try the install in my guide here with ACHI off and see what happens. I will report more tomorrow...

Regards,

Ryan (aka Searay)

Thank you so much. I cannot wait to try this when I get home tonight! I've tried different variations of the install over 20 times now so it's exciting to get this close to at least being able to boot up into SL.

Thanks again and I'll update you on my progress.

Searay_X can you tell me what's the purpose of SMBIOSdefaults=no in the com.apple.Boot.plist file?

Thanks.

Its a better way of setting the information your computer uses in system profiler - It tells the EFI loader to read the values from smbios.plist instead of trying to auto detect the values.

Also, many MB manufacturers do not set SMBIOS data so you have to download software to set it yourself or use a patched AppleSMBIOS-

It has other benifits as well - For example, there is some software that will check to see if the comouter shows as a real Mac. If you look at my geekbench results below (the one at the top by itself is is a real mac at the apple store for over $3500) you will see that my machine appears to be a real Mac Pro and not a hackintosh.

Additionally, there are many other reasons for this method - I recommend you look into it on Google and in the forums here (I don't mean that to be rude, there is just a lot to it is all...)

Regards,

Ryan

gbResults.jpg

Thank you so much. I cannot wait to try this when I get home tonight! I've tried different variations of the install over 20 times now so it's exciting to get this close to at least being able to boot up into SL.

Thanks again and I'll update you on my progress.

After install you need to see post 53

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...d=1279434

This is the fix I was working on that someone else beat me to - thank goodness - LOL :(

Hi Ryan,

[]s

VultU

Curitiba - Brasil

Can you post your DSDT for everyone? - Since you have a P6T this would save a lot of people from manually editing...

UAU! 15.000 in geekbench, what config do you use in BIOS?

Im using 20x200 = 4.0 GHz but above this my computer crash all the time.

About the DSDT, Im at work right now, when I go to home I will up my DSDT.AML file with The King patch to Snow work without problems in AHCI mode. :D

-----------------------

EDIT: Here my files

DSDT.AML (for ASUS P6T with The King (he is the man! thks The King!!!) patch to solve slow SATA issue and the patch from EvOSX86 team that enable Intel Speedstep need the kext below to work)

http://rapidshare.com/files/284542066/dsdt.aml

EvOSpeedStep.kext

http://rapidshare.com/files/284542834/EvOSpeedStep.kext.zip

In Extensions folder I only have these files:

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

EvOSpeedStep.kext

[]s

VultU

Curitiba - Brasil

ps.: sorry about the bad english

thank Vultu for the link .. everything working now.

thank you

With that I will modify the guide this weekend - add pictures and have a full guide - Thanks everyone for helping me to complete this guide!

Regards,

Ryan.

Its a better way of setting the information your computer uses in system profiler - It tells the EFI loader to read the values from smbios.plist instead of trying to auto detect the values.

Also, many MB manufacturers do not set SMBIOS data so you have to download software to set it yourself or use a patched AppleSMBIOS-

It has other benifits as well - For example, there is some software that will check to see if the comouter shows as a real Mac. If you look at my geekbench results below (the one at the top by itself is is a real mac at the apple store for over $3500) you will see that my machine appears to be a real Mac Pro and not a hackintosh.

Additionally, there are many other reasons for this method - I recommend you look into it on Google and in the forums here (I don't mean that to be rude, there is just a lot to it is all...)

Regards,

Ryan

gbResults.jpg

After install you need to see post 53

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...d=1279434

This is the fix I was working on that someone else beat me to - thank goodness - LOL :thumbsup_anim:

Can you post your DSDT for everyone? - Since you have a P6T this would save a lot of people from manually editing...

Hi again Ryan,

I was successfully able to see my SATA HD by following your suggestions however early into the install I am getting a Kernel panic. I followed your advice given earlier in this thread to someone who had a similar issue (though my KP references com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily(1.6)) and probably has more to do with the incorrect kexts due to my mobo being a P6T SE.

I'll post the screen shot. The log had no real errors to speak of. My guess is that i'll need the proper kexts in order to get this working. Whenever you do successfully install it on the P6T SE, would you mind posting a list of kexts you used?

Thanks again or all your help. Without your guide, I'd probably have thrown my computer out the window by now.

Cheers,

Alex

Hi Ryan,

[]s

VultU

Curitiba - Brasil

Regarding your question about my Geekbench scores - My setup is simple - Viper memory (very expensive), an i7 975 Extreme and and a LOT of cooling (no liquid - all passive and running stable for a long time now).

My i7 975 is what is reaching the sky - my 920's I can get to around 13,600+ - Good memory and cooling are the key!

By the way - did you notice there is an issue with Bonjour? I think I have a fix - I am tired and I will test it tomorrow.

Hey Searay,

Thanks for the guide. Intending on trying this soon, just waiting to get my hands on SL disk. All the gear is new except for the graphics card which is running in another hac right now, So, the bios settings are much appreciated. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me your booting off the stick even after install. I was wondering if it's not possible to place the efi on a partition on the hard drive as opposed to running it off a flash.

Thanx,

Sapper

I wanted to add that running the EFI from a Flash, SD/MMC/CF, etc. will allow you to pull the drive out and use it in another machine.

Tonight for example, I just borrowed a drive for a different motherboard. I built a "Magic Stick" for the other mobo and since I didn't modify the drive it worked flawlessly - just thought I would add that.

Regards,

Ryan

Hi all,

I can also confirm that the King's patch that Vultu pointed to works on my MB - Asus P6T SE!!!

So if anyone has the same MB in the attachment you can downloaad the patched DSDT.aml file. Copy to EFI/Extra or in the root directory of your hard drive (depending on the installation)

Thanks to the community.

Neonized

DSDT.aml_AsusP6Tse.zip

Hi all,

I can also confirm that the King's patch that Vultu pointed to works on my MB - Asus P6T SE!!!

So if anyone has the same MB in the attachment you can downloaad the patched DSDT.aml file. Copy to EFI/Extra or in the root directory of your hard drive (depending on the installation)

Thanks to the community.

Neonized

DSDT.aml_AsusP6Tse.zip

Thanks for the confirmation on the SE's

I did want to note that if you read my notes on the guide, I am posting an updated guide (entirely new and simplified) with a v3 EFI that has all the included files for this class of board to function. When it comes to audio, the user will have to figure what works for them on different chipsets as I am only including the audio files for the P6T (non Deluxe, non SE - not sure what audio chipset the SE uses).

Thanks again for the updare

The new guide will work 100% for everyone ;)

Regards,

Ryan

Thanks for the confirmation on the SE's

I did want to note that if you read my notes on the guide, I am posting an updated guide (entirely new and simplified) with a v3 EFI that has all the included files for this class of board to function. When it comes to audio, the user will have to figure what works for them on different chipsets as I am only including the audio files for the P6T (non Deluxe, non SE - not sure what audio chipset the SE uses).

Thanks again for the updare

The new guide will work 100% for everyone ;)

Regards,

Ryan

The audio is ALC1200.

I am using Chameleon 2.0 RC3 installed on a hidden EFI (HFS formated) partition.

The only thing that's left are the sleep issues, and the 64bit kext for the audio.

Thanks again man, nice work.

Regards,

neonized

Hello!

First, thank you very much for this post and the new tutorial to come. I'll be testing it tomorrow.

With the current installation instructions, I'm having problems booting with my SLI configuration. If I remove one card, it boots (and the usual AHCI problems reveal after completing). If I add the nvinject for dual card kext to Extra/Extensions it boots but when the stars background appears, it stop loading. Any idea? :)

Thanks again mate!

The audio is ALC1200.

I am using Chameleon 2.0 RC3 installed on a hidden EFI (HFS formated) partition.

The only thing that's left are the sleep issues, and the 64bit kext for the audio.

Thanks again man, nice work.

Regards,

neonized

New guide is almost finished - it explains a lot and I will also add some gfx help after the repost. About 2 hours and the new guide will replace the old :)

6:06 AM in Spain ;) ... I think I need some sleep :D

I'll check the new tutorial "tomorrow" and i'll post my results on SLI.

Nah...If you are reading this site at 6 AM what you need is not sleep, is a...life!

Just kidding. See, I'm doing the same thing, but is "only" 1:30 AM in Argentina.

Cheers. (adios)

Ric

Nah...If you are reading this site at 6 AM what you need is not sleep, is a...life!

Just kidding. See, I'm doing the same thing, but is "only" 1:30 AM in Argentina.

Cheers. (adios)

Ric

Don't worry - I have no life either - LOL - THe new guide is up - I fell asleep at the keyboard :)

I will continue to refine it. I need feedback so feel free to PM me or make a post - Don't forget to take the poll...

Tried it many times, i just can't get mine to work

Khodi ,

I hate to ask - but I see your system info below your post; are you using Asus P7P55D or P6T? - the kext files in this guide are ONLY for the P6T.

If you are trying this on a P6T, give me some specific details as to what your problems are and maybe I can help you through it...

is it the EFI, are you not able to boot from it, are you having your install fail? I need more information in order to help you...

I have done this on 7 different machines now - all with different i7 types, DVD/CD/BR drives, video cards and even additional network and FW800 cards - I have had NO issues except with Bonjour.

Regards,

Ryan

Hello!

First, thank you very much for this post and the new tutorial to come. I'll be testing it tomorrow.

With the current installation instructions, I'm having problems booting with my SLI configuration. If I remove one card, it boots (and the usual AHCI problems reveal after completing). If I add the nvinject for dual card kext to Extra/Extensions it boots but when the stars background appears, it stop loading. Any idea? :(

Thanks again mate!

I am investigating your problem. I may have a simple solution. I will let you know.

Regards,

:( If I use that DSDT.aml I got an IOAPIC: vector ... 0x20... error. Any ideas on this?

(I used an unmodified EFI.dmg restored to a USB stick).

Thanks in advance!

You should be using the new files from my EFI_v3.dmg

I rebuilt the entire EFI with the latest Chameleon and if you follow the guide you will have no issues.

Also, that error appears to be a BIOS related issue. Please note that this has only been tested with 0603 and 0707 bios and I have most of my settings already posted as well as working on the link that shows ALL my bios settings for various machines...

I have to ask - you are using a standard P6T right? If so, re-read the NEW guide and give it a shot. Be sure to check my BIOS settings.

Regards,

Ryan

Hi again, this DSDT.aml file is working for me...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FEAH7NYE

... now I just need some help with the SLI :)

Brue,

do your EFI strings properly reflect your cards for SLI?

PM me and I will give you my email address so you can send me your com.apple.Boot.plist and I will check it out.

I have SLI on 2 of my now 7 builds using 9800 GT's

Regards,

Ryan