Jump to content

[How To] ALC882 Sound


  • Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#201
ASY

ASY

    InsanelyMac Protégé

  • Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:asy

I tried this on a Intel915 mobo and still no good. According to the user manual, I've got a ALC860 and my strings are 0x10ec0880 (no change) and 0x26688086
I repaired permissions, rebooted, no error messages but still "no built-in audio" ;)



#202
DionysisK

DionysisK

    InsanelyMac Protégé

  • Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey there...

I have HP pavilion dv9543ev and my sound device does not work. I tried it out and I obtained the id from windows and I did the process as it is explained but, i can see that there is a sound device without any sound coming out!

The hardware id is VEN_10CE&DEV_0268

and from the system devices is VEN_0886&DEV_248B

Could anyone give me a hand?

It would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

#203
YoMuS

YoMuS

    InsanelyMac Geek

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Location:Valencia
Hi!

Anybody successfully patched the DSDT with this codec? I've search all over this forum but nobody seems to have done it so far.

Thank you!

#204
ro4ers

ro4ers

    InsanelyMac Protégé

  • Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Nice thx

Edit: The following guide is for getting ALC882 sound out working. The process may work with any ALC8xx chipset with a few changes. See the Appendix at the end of the guide for how to make those changes.

The Guide

I have yet to see the definitive guide here on getting ALC882 sound working. The best one I've seen comes from aRt on another forum and this is it (with some modifications):

How to get HD audio working - sound for ya!!!

1) Backup AppleHDA.kext:

In Terminal, type:

cd /System/Library/Extensions
 sudo mkdir audio_backup
 sudo mv AppleHDA.kext audio_backup/

2) Edit AppleAzaliaAudio.kext:

In Terminal, type:

cd /System/Library/Extensions
 sudo pico AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/Info.plist
Search for IOHDAudioCodecVendorID (press Ctrl + W)

Find:

<key>IOHDAudioCodecVendorID</key>
<string>0x10ec0880</string>

Change <string>0x10ec0880</string> -- to -- <string>0x10ec0882</string>

Exit pico: press Ctrl + O to save and then Ctrl + X to exit

In Terminal, type:

sudo pico AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist
Search for IOPCIPrimaryMatch (press Ctrl + W)

Find:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
<string>0xNNNN8086</string> (where NNNN are any 4 characters)

Change <string>0xNNNN8086</string> -- to -- <string>0x27d88086</string>
(note: for ALC882, the string is probably correct without any edit)

Exit pico: press Ctrl + O to save and then Ctrl + X to exit

3) Clean up the system:

In Terminal, type:

sudo diskutil repairpermissions /
 sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
 sudo chmod -R 755 AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
 cd /System/Library
 sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache

4) Then, reboot and enjoy sound out of two channels.


Appendix

The following information might help you get your ALC8xx sound out working. The strings that are replaced in the guide above are for Realtek ALC882 only. For other versions of ALC8xx sound or if you are having trouble getting ALC882 sound working, we need to determine the vendor and device ids of the audio device and the audio hub. There are no guarantees that this will get your sound working, but I am pretty sure this also works for ALC880, ALC888, ALC861 and maybe others.

To do this, go into Windows, then go to Device Manager:

Step A. Under "Sound, video and game controllers", select "Realtek High Definition Audio". Get Properties and then click on the Detail tab. Record the vendor and device ids.

As an example, in this picture, the set of id's are vendor = "10EC" and device = "0882"


Step B. Under "System devices", find "Microsoft UAA Bus Driver For High Definition Audio" and also get the vendor and device ids.

In this picture, the set of id's are vendor = "8086" and device = "27D8"


Now, using The Guide above, substitute the following:

Instead of the string "0x10ec0882", use a new string constructed from the vendor id and device id from Step A. above.
It should be of the form 0x + (vendor id) + (device id). Like: 0x + 10ec + 0882 = 0x10ec0882

Instead of the string "0x27d88086", use a string constructed from the vendor id and device id from Step B. above.
However, it should be of the form 0x + (device id) + (vendor id).
Note that this is backwards from the previous string.


Nope. Not really.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2015 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy