nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

nForce chipset + Intel CPU nForce 650i and 680i chipset nForce 750i and 780i chipset nForce 790i and 790i Ultra Possibly nForce 630i chipset

• Please log in to reply
2140 replies to this topic

Poll: Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop (211 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

1. Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method (34 votes [16.11%])

Percentage of vote: 16.11%

2. Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method (49 votes [23.22%])

Percentage of vote: 23.22%

3. Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method (18 votes [8.53%])

Percentage of vote: 8.53%

4. Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method (14 votes [6.64%])

Percentage of vote: 6.64%

5. Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method (13 votes [6.16%])

Percentage of vote: 6.16%

6. Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method (6 votes [2.84%])

Percentage of vote: 2.84%

7. Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume (10 votes [4.74%])

Percentage of vote: 4.74%

8. Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume (9 votes [4.27%])

Percentage of vote: 4.27%

9. Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume (7 votes [3.32%])

Percentage of vote: 3.32%

10. No, none of the above methods has worked for me (35 votes [16.59%])

Percentage of vote: 16.59%

11. I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO..... (10 votes [4.74%])

Percentage of vote: 4.74%

12. I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac (6 votes [2.84%])

Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

1. 100% (60 votes [28.44%])

Percentage of vote: 28.44%

2. 90% (53 votes [25.12%])

Percentage of vote: 25.12%

3. 80% (19 votes [9.00%])

Percentage of vote: 9.00%

4. 70% (19 votes [9.00%])

Percentage of vote: 9.00%

5. 60% (4 votes [1.90%])

Percentage of vote: 1.90%

6. 50% (6 votes [2.84%])

7. <50% (18 votes [8.53%])

Percentage of vote: 8.53%

8. Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems (20 votes [9.48%])

Percentage of vote: 9.48%

9. Are all the standard Apple applications running OK (12 votes [5.69%])

Percentage of vote: 5.69%

Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

1. SATA HDD (172 votes [13.31%])

Percentage of vote: 13.31%

2. SATA DVDRW including burning disks (47 votes [3.64%])

Percentage of vote: 3.64%

3. PATA (IDE) HDD (42 votes [3.25%])

Percentage of vote: 3.25%

4. PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks (51 votes [3.95%])

Percentage of vote: 3.95%

5. Video (144 votes [11.15%])

Percentage of vote: 11.15%

6. Onboard LAN (Ethernet) (130 votes [10.06%])

Percentage of vote: 10.06%

7. USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse (160 votes [12.38%])

Percentage of vote: 12.38%

8. Firewire (54 votes [4.18%])

Percentage of vote: 4.18%

9. PS/2 keyboard and mouse (42 votes [3.25%])

Percentage of vote: 3.25%

10. Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone (62 votes [4.80%])

Percentage of vote: 4.80%

11. Audio except Front Panel headphones (38 votes [2.94%])

Percentage of vote: 2.94%

12. Audio except Front Panel microphone (27 votes [2.09%])

Percentage of vote: 2.09%

13. Sleep including waking from sleep (24 votes [1.86%])

Percentage of vote: 1.86%

14. PCI NIC (24 votes [1.86%])

Percentage of vote: 1.86%

15. eSATA (20 votes [1.55%])

Percentage of vote: 1.55%

16. Bluetooth (41 votes [3.17%])

Percentage of vote: 3.17%

17. WiFi (38 votes [2.94%])

Percentage of vote: 2.94%

18. Time Machine (53 votes [4.10%])

Percentage of vote: 4.10%

19. Overclocking (34 votes [2.63%])

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

20. Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1 (89 votes [6.89%])

Percentage of vote: 6.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

lottomotto

lottomotto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I updated to 10.6.5

I had a big problem with USB... basically no USB was working anymore, included mouse and keyboard..
The only option was to connect the HDD to another mac. Ther I deleted the IOUSBFamily kext and manually copied the old one back.

I reebooted and mouse and keyboard where working, but no External HDD or other USB equipment.

The system told me that the kext wasn't installed properly.

So i installed it back.
Reboot

All right now.

ah.. you need to to reinstall also the AppleHDA kext... but we knew that...

RaMDaY

RaMDaY

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Hey hey! After updating to 10.6.5 I can boot with all 4 cores in 32bit mode. I'm now going to test stability. Does anyone have any suggesting on what software I should use?

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,548 posts
  • Interests:At home, I have the following computers......
    >
    >
    >

Hey hey! After updating to 10.6.5 I can boot with all 4 cores in 32bit mode. I'm now going to test stability. Does anyone have any suggesting on what software I should use?

That is good news..........glad for you........ :angel:

When updating to 10.6.5, loss of audio and USB functionality seem to be the main issues.........fortunately, both are fixable by rolling back to pre-10.6.5 AppleHDA and IOUSBFamily and IOUSBMassStorageClass kexts in my case........i.e. back to 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext and the 10.6.4 IOUSBFamily and IOUSBMassStorageClass kexts........

Try CPUTest v0.2..........

lottomotto

lottomotto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

That is good news..........glad for you........ :(

When updating to 10.6.5, loss of audio and USB functionality seem to be the main issues.........fortunately, both are fixable by rolling back to pre-10.6.5 AppleHDA and IOUSBFamily and IOUSBMassStorageClass kexts in my case........i.e. back to 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext and the 10.6.4 IOUSBFamily and IOUSBMassStorageClass kexts........

Hi, you are right I had to put back also the IOUSBMassStorageClass.
I also have a Bluetooth problem. To have magic mouse to work had to roll back the IOBluetoothHIDDriver too

solotitan

solotitan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
Does anyone else have really laggy QE/CI after 10.6.5??? Menu bar isn't transparent either??

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,548 posts
    >
    >
    >

Does anyone else have really laggy QE/CI after 10.6.5??? Menu bar isn't transparent either??

After updating I have no problems with QE/CI and my top menu bar is transparent like my About This Mac and the Dashboard "ripples" when adding widgets........... :mellow:

solotitan

solotitan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
hmmm.. im going to try and re-install some stuff from the 1.0 graphics update using pacifist.

EDIT: This solved the issue! Good as gold :P

smungle

smungle

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
Thanks for your reply verdant. i can boot into 64bit fine. no inernet network tho. only in 32bit.

i thought by booting into 64bit with all 4cores would solve the freezing i get due to my motherboard. but it seems to have not. you have any knowledge on this?

much appreciated.

RaMDaY

RaMDaY

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

That is good news..........glad for you........ :unsure:

Now that I have had a chance to play around with the system I sometimes experience an infinite spinning beach ball. The dock will freeze and I won't be able to click anything however my mouse will still move around.

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,548 posts
    >
    >
    >

Thanks for your reply verdant. i can boot into 64bit fine. no inernet network tho. only in 32bit.

i thought by booting into 64bit with all 4cores would solve the freezing i get due to my motherboard. but it seems to have not. you have any knowledge on this?

much appreciated.

Regarding networking, eno's latest nForce kexts from release version 0.64.3 onward have 64bit support built in apparently......

Without knowing more about the nature of your freezes, i.e. under what circumstances, any logged error messages etc. it is difficult to comment further.........

Now that I have had a chance to play around with the system I sometimes experience an infinite spinning beach ball. The dock will freeze and I won't be able to click anything however my mouse will still move around.

Without knowing more about the nature of your freezes, i.e. under what circumstances, any logged error messages etc. it is difficult to comment further.........I assume you rolled back to pre-10.6.5 AppleHDA and IOUSBFamily and IOUSBMassStorageClass kexts.....?

RaMDaY

RaMDaY

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Regarding networking, eno's latest nForce kexts from release version 0.64.3 onward have 64bit support built in apparently......

Without knowing more about the nature of your freezes, i.e. under what circumstances, any logged error messages etc. it is difficult to comment further.........

Without knowing more about the nature of your freezes, i.e. under what circumstances, any logged error messages etc. it is difficult to comment further.........I assume you rolled back to pre-10.6.5 AppleHDA and IOUSBFamily and IOUSBMassStorageClass kexts.....?

I didn't roll back any kexts. I didn't know I had to. No error message or anything pop up when the freeze occurs.

iLeopod

iLeopod

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Interests:ileopod.wordpress.com
frezzing without a KP is may be a Spotlight indexing problem. When i have spotlight enabled my system is pretty unstable and frezzes like every 10 min. When it's disabled i have no problems.

RaMDaY

RaMDaY

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try and see how it goes.

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,548 posts
    >
    >
    >

As for Spotlight indexing generated KPs, often it is a result of the attempted Spotlight indexing of a mounted NTFS volume..........

In which case, look out for
BSD process name corresponding to current thread: mds
as mds is the metadata server. It serves all clients of the metadata APIs, including Spotlight.......also look for
com.apple.filesystems.ntfs(3.3)@0x14de000->0x153dfff
indicating a NTFS filesystem support issue........

You can drag your NTFS volume into the Privacy window by going to System Preferences >>>> Spotlight >>>> Privacy............this will prevent Spotlight from trying to index it..........

Antivirus software may also trigger mds when searching for viruses.....

iLeopod

iLeopod

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Interests:ileopod.wordpress.com
the problem is it frezzes without a kernel panic and u see nothing in the logs.

RaMDaY

RaMDaY

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
The beach ball of death was coming up anytime I tried to search for something so spotlight is a good place for me to start searching for the problem. I have turned it off completely for both my NTFS and HFS formatted drives. So far I have not gotten the beach ball of death since. I'll do somemore tests after I get back home on Monday.
USB ports are working fine after my update to 10.6.5 and for audio I'm using a Sound Blaster Audigy ZS which also is working without a problem after the update so I am assuming there is no reason for me to roll back my drivers at this point.

As for Spotlight indexing generated KPs, often it is a result of the attempted Spotlight indexing of a mounted NTFS volume..........

In which case, look out for

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: mds
as mds is the metadata server. It serves all clients of the metadata APIs, including Spotlight.......also look for
com.apple.filesystems.ntfs(3.3)@0x14de000->0x153dfff
indicating a NTFS filesystem support issue........

You can drag your NTFS volume into the Privacy window by going to System Preferences >>>> Spotlight >>>> Privacy............this will prevent Spotlight from trying to index it..........

Antivirus software may also trigger mds when searching for viruses.....

RaMDaY

RaMDaY

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
I'm getting a ioacpifamily kernal panic whenever I try to boot using arch=x64_86. Does anyone know what that is about?

smungle

smungle

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

hmm.. ive try eno's nforce installer 0.64.6 and the nForce Lan kext only seems to work in x32.

As for the nature of my freezes. they only occur when i load a heavy program or copy a large file. you have mentioned more cpu cooling but i cant really add more.

im using cpus=1 at this present time but i hopfully be able to use all 4 core with x64.

i will check my logs to see if anything pops up after freezing but i dont this there was in the past.

RaMDaY

RaMDaY

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

hmm.. ive try eno's nforce installer 0.64.6 and the nForce Lan kext only seems to work in x32.

As for the nature of my freezes. they only occur when i load a heavy program or copy a large file. you have mentioned more cpu cooling but i cant really add more.

im using cpus=1 at this present time but i hopfully be able to use all 4 core with x64.

i will check my logs to see if anything pops up after freezing but i dont this there was in the past.

I was having this same problem and disabling spot light has seemed to fix it.

On another note. I'm working on my overclock again now that my system seems stable but anytime I try to boot into OSX while overclocked CPUPowerManagement.kext kernel panics. Is there anyway around this without using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext or disabler.kext?

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,548 posts
    >
    >
    >

I was having this same problem and disabling spot light has seemed to fix it.

On another note. I'm working on my overclock again now that my system seems stable but anytime I try to boot into OSX while overclocked CPUPowerManagement.kext kernel panics. Is there anyway around this without using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext or disabler.kext?

@ RaMDay

According to David Elliott, who wrote the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext:

Another problem for OS X running on non-Apple hardware (virtual or otherwise) is the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kernel extension which tends to either panic the machine or spew endless debug messages to the console regarding the HPET and its relationship to the CPU.

which seems to suggest that AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext may need to be disabled when using an OC'd CPU on a OS X PC hack.......

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nForce chipset + Intel CPU, nForce 650i and 680i chipset, nForce 750i and 780i chipset, nForce 790i and 790i Ultra, Possibly nForce 630i chipset

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy