nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

Since you are able to boot into your Snow Leopard system on the HDD with the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] disc, do the following:

[0] Open the attached .zip file: CoBrA2168.zip

[1] Download my Snow Support files v2.3 from post #1 onto your Windows laptop and copy the .zip folder onto a USB flash drive.....

[2] Use the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] disk to boot into your Snow Leopard (SL) system on the HDD and copy the Snow Support files v2.3 .zip folder from the USB flash drive to the SL Desktop.....

[3] Run any one of:

Chameleon 2.0 RC4.pkg

Chameleon 2 RC3.pkg

Chameleon-2.0-r431.pkg

to install a Chameleon bootloader on your OS X HDD and in SL....

[4] Check if /Extra/ and /Extra/Extensions/ has been created.......if it has, then

{a} install the com.apple.Boot.plist and SMBIOS.plist files in /Extra

{b} install the following kexts in /Extra/Extensions:

AppleNForceATA.64AnV.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

fakesmc.V2.5.kext

[5] Install the following kexts in /System/Library/Extensions:

AppleHDA.10.6.2.kext

nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext

and repair the /System/Library/Extensions kext ownership and permissions and recreate Extensions.mkext using the Terminal:

sudo chown -R root:wheel  /System/Library/Extensions/
  sudo chmod -R 755  /System/Library/Extensions/
  sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/
  sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

[6] Do you have a DSDT.aml file on your Snow Leopard HDD system.....if not, then follow Part B. in post #1......

See where the above gets you to as regards booting SL off the HDD........ :rolleyes:

Wow, thanks for the detailed instructions! I'll give that a try tonight/tomorrow and report back. You are such a life saver right now.

@ CoBrA2168

OK........ :rolleyes:

Note that

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

should be typed on the same line in Terminal.....

I have to go offline now........I will check back if and when I find some free time......

@ CoBrA2168

OK........ :huh:

Note that

should be typed on the same line in Terminal.....

I have to go offline now........I will check back if and when I find some free time......

YES! I followed the instructions and did PART B of the guide, and I'm now booting without the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] disc!!!

It also seems to recognize my ETHERNET PORTS!

Now it seems my only issue is my screen resolution - it's still at the default 1024x768. Also, PART B never said where I should finally put my DSDT.aml file, but it looked like it belonged in the "/" root directory so I put it there. Also when following part B, I never had to switch the value from 4 to 2, it was already 2!

Thanks again and I'll be checking for an update! I'm so close to a perfect hackintosh, thank you!

By the way - I still have my Windows drive, Sound card, and Wifi adapter plugged in - could this cause problems?

Also I'm on 10.6.0, I haven't applied the 10.6.8 update yet. When am I safe to do that?

YES! I followed the instructions and did PART B of the guide, and I'm now booting without the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] disc!!!

It also seems to recognize my ETHERNET PORTS!

Now it seems my only issue is my screen resolution - it's still at the default 1024x768. Also, PART B never said where I should finally put my DSDT.aml file, but it looked like it belonged in the "/" root directory so I put it there. Also when following part B, I never had to switch the value from 4 to 2, it was already 2!

Thanks again and I'll be checking for an update! I'm so close to a perfect hackintosh, thank you!

By the way - I still have my Windows drive, Sound card, and Wifi adapter plugged in - could this cause problems?

Also I'm on 10.6.0, I haven't applied the 10.6.8 update yet. When am I safe to do that?

That is good progress....... :)

The nForceLAN.kext has given you working Ethernet ports.....

Windows drive, Sound card, and Wifi adapter can be dealt with later.......

You can now update Chameleon to RC5 if you wish.....if you do, you can remove the PlatformUUID.kext form /E/E/......

Yes, the DSDT.aml file can go in / (where I normally put it) or in /Extra......

It is better to get everything working before updating to 10.6.8 and then clone your working system to another HDD volume if you can as a backup.......

That is good progress....... :rolleyes:

The nForceLAN.kext has given you working Ethernet ports.....

Windows drive, Sound card, and Wifi adapter can be dealt with later.......

You can now update Chameleon to RC5 if you wish.....if you do, you can remove the PlatformUUID.kext form /E/E/......

Yes, the DSDT.aml file can go in / (where I normally put it) or in /Extra......

It is better to get everything working before updating to 10.6.8 and then clone your working system to another HDD volume if you can as a backup.......

Okay. Is this where I get RC5?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231075

Also which one do I pick?

Before making a backup, I was thinking I should probably get my video resolution fixed...that seems to be the last step before having a nice working hackintosh. How do I go about fixing that?

Thanks!

Okay. Is this where I get RC5?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231075

Also which one do I pick?

Before making a backup, I was thinking I should probably get my video resolution fixed...that seems to be the last step before having a nice working hackintosh. How do I go about fixing that?

Thanks!

Yes, try RC5 from there..........

No, it is better to make a backup before trying to fix your video resolution just in case your video gets messed up and you cannot then see the Desktop, or even the boot screen.....

Try using NVEnabler.kext v0.1 or NVEnabler64.kext......if that does not work, then try generating an EFI graphics string using Leopard......see post #1 on how to go about these procedures......

Yes, try RC5 from there..........

No, it is better to make a backup before trying to fix your video resolution just in case your video gets messed up and you cannot then see the Desktop, or even the boot screen.....

Try using NVEnabler.kext v0.1 or NVEnabler64.kext......if that does not work, then try generating an EFI graphics string using Leopard......see post #1 on how to go about these procedures......

I screwed up the graphics pretty bad...got a black screen and couldn't figure out how to go back so I figured I'd start over trying to use your nForceSL CD.

Also, my roommate has a REAL mac running leopard, can I use his computer to get the hex string I need for my video card?

I screwed up the graphics pretty bad...got a black screen and couldn't figure out how to go back so I figured I'd start over trying to use your nForceSL CD.

Also, my roommate has a REAL mac running leopard, can I use his computer to get the hex string I need for my video card?

No because the card you need it for is in your PC.......

If you are planning to start over then I recommend the following:

The simplest and quickest solution is to boot with a Leopard OS X Install DVD OSx86 distro and use Disk Utility to set up 3 OS X equal size volumes on the HDD that you partition as GPT and format as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as follows (you must download an AppleNforceATA.kext loading OS Leopard Install DVD distro......I recommend iPC 10.5.6 Final version):

1st volume: OS X Lion

2nd volume: OS X Snow Leopard

3rd volume: OS X Leopard

Install Leopard OS X 10.5.6 Final Version using my blog install guide, and then do a Retail install of Snow Leopard and later a Download install of Lion.......later on you can delete the OS X version(s) you do not wish to keep and then use Disk utility to resize the remaining OS X volume(s) to give a single OS X Lion volume, or to keep OS X Lion, OS X Snow Leopard and make the OS X Leopard volume into a Data volume......

Normally for convenience, you need access to OS X Leopard on your PC to:

1. Generate a RTC patched DSDT.aml file for Snow Leopard [Part B]

2. Establish OS X target HDD ownership

3. Run EFIStudio or OSx86Tools to generate the graphics string for your graphics card

4. Install Chameleon 2.0 RC4 or RC5 onto your target SL OS X volume and in the process generate a /Extra directory.....

No because the card you need it for is in your PC.......

If you are planning to start over then I recommend the following:

The simplest and quickest solution is to boot with a Leopard OS X Install DVD OSx86 distro and use Disk Utility to set up 3 OS X equal size volumes on the HDD that you partition as GPT and format as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as follows (you must download an AppleNforceATA.kext loading OS Leopard Install DVD distro......I recommend iPC 10.5.6 Final version):

1st volume: OS X Lion

2nd volume: OS X Snow Leopard

3rd volume: OS X Leopard

Install Leopard OS X 10.5.6 Final Version using my blog install guide, and then do a Retail install of Snow Leopard and later a Download install of Lion.......later on you can delete the OS X version(s) you do not wish to keep and then use Disk utility to resize the remaining OS X volume(s) to give a single OS X Lion volume, or to keep OS X Lion, OS X Snow Leopard and make the OS X Leopard volume into a Data volume......

Normally for convenience, you need access to OS X Leopard on your PC to:

1. Generate a RTC patched DSDT.aml file for Snow Leopard [Part B]

2. Establish OS X target HDD ownership

3. Run EFIStudio or OSx86Tools to generate the graphics string for your graphics card

4. Install Chameleon 2.0 RC4 or RC5 onto your target SL OS X volume and in the process generate a /Extra directory.....

Hmm...is that really all necessary?

Your SL disc won't boot SL for me, so I went back to using the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] disc to reinstall SL.

When I was messing with graphics, I was able to get it to boot in 1280x1024 instead of 1024x768 using EFITools on my SL and then using Graphics Mode = 1920x1080x32 (yeah, not the right resolution, but getting closer).

Then since that didn't work, I tried the NV_Enabler version, and that resulted in a black screen (I might have kept the Graphics Mode option as well).

Based on what I did there, do you think one of those two methods would ultimately end up working for me? I'm not sure if I have the time and effort to try to install Leopard as well as SL. My main goal of this hackintosh is to run xcode to develop iOS apps.

Thanks!

EDIT: Could I use a LIVE DVD version of Leopard to get the EFI string?

Hmm...is that really all necessary?

Your SL disc won't boot SL for me, so I went back to using the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] disc to reinstall SL.

When I was messing with graphics, I was able to get it to boot in 1280x1024 instead of 1024x768 using EFITools on my SL and then using Graphics Mode = 1920x1080x32 (yeah, not the right resolution, but getting closer).

Then since that didn't work, I tried the NV_Enabler version, and that resulted in a black screen (I might have kept the Graphics Mode option as well).

Based on what I did there, do you think one of those two methods would ultimately end up working for me? I'm not sure if I have the time and effort to try to install Leopard as well as SL. My main goal of this hackintosh is to run xcode to develop iOS apps.

Thanks!

EDIT: Could I use a LIVE DVD version of Leopard to get the EFI string?

With a bootable OSx86 distro Leopard Install DVD you are only talking about 20 minutes install time.....you only require 1024x768 VESA graphics mode to do what you need to do using Leopard......

With a bootable OSx86 distro Leopard Install DVD you are only talking about 20 minutes install time.....you only require 1024x768 VESA graphics mode to do what you need to do using Leopard......

True, I might give it a try then.

However, if possible, could I use this method here:

http://ipcosx86.wikidot.com/ipc-x-dl-10-5-6

To use a LIVE version of Leopard to get what I need?

True, I might give it a try then.

However, if possible, could I use this method here:

http://ipcosx86.wikidot.com/ipc-x-dl-10-5-6

To use a LIVE version of Leopard to get what I need?

I would think so but cannot guarantee it as I have not tried the Live DVD myself......you can but try....

BTW what errors did you see when booting the Snow leopard Retail DVD with -v -f.....?

I would think so but cannot guarantee it as I have not tried the Live DVD myself......you can but try....

BTW what errors did you see when booting the Snow leopard Reatil DVd with -v -f.....?

You mean with your boot DVD? I tried booting with just -v (never tried -f). I was able to get to a gray screen, where I could move the mouse, and then after a few minutes I saw the spinning colorful circle.

I let that sit there for about 10 minutes before shutting it down. I tried booting again and got the same.

I think I'm going to attempt the live DVD or just live with 1280x1024 resolution. I've reinstalled using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] + your help instructions from yesterday and I'm back where I was. It seems that everything is working except my video resolution.

You mean with your boot DVD? I tried booting with just -v (never tried -f). I was able to get to a gray screen, where I could move the mouse, and then after a few minutes I saw the spinning colorful circle.

I let that sit there for about 10 minutes before shutting it down. I tried booting again and got the same.

I think I'm going to attempt the live DVD or just live with 1280x1024 resolution. I've reinstalled using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] + your help instructions from yesterday and I'm back where I was. It seems that everything is working except my video resolution.

The instructions in post #1 Part F were:

(16) When the custom boot volume theme appears follow the onscreen instructions........namely when the Legacy Boot CD icon appears framed to the left of the display.........remove the nForceSLBoot132DVD from the DVDRW tray.......insert your Retail Snow Leopard Mac OS X Install DVD in the DVDRW tray and close...........wait for the initial DVDRW activity to occur (flashing DVDRW light) for a while to allow the DVD to be recognised......then press F5..........the Mac OS X Install DVD icon should then appear "framed" to the right of the display...

(17) Now type -v (space) -f at the boot: prompt that will appear (as usual with the Chameleon bootloader) in the bottom lefthand corner of the display.......I have asked to you use -v so that you can see what is happening (even though it messes up the friendly green Chameleon desktop) AND YOU MUST PRESS -f too.......

boot: -v -f

Why not just buy a more compatible nVidia graphics card that can simply use GraphicsEnabler in the Boot.plist file.....

The instructions in post #1 Part F were:

(16) When the custom boot volume theme appears follow the onscreen instructions........namely when the Legacy Boot CD icon appears framed to the left of the display.........remove the nForceSLBoot132DVD from the DVDRW tray.......insert your Retail Snow Leopard Mac OS X Install DVD in the DVDRW tray and close...........wait for the initial DVDRW activity to occur (flashing DVDRW light) for a while to allow the DVD to be recognised......then press F5..........the Mac OS X Install DVD icon should then appear "framed" to the right of the display...

(17) Now type -v (space) -f at the boot: prompt that will appear (as usual with the Chameleon bootloader) in the bottom lefthand corner of the display.......I have asked to you use -v so that you can see what is happening (even though it messes up the friendly green Chameleon desktop) AND YOU MUST PRESS -f too.......

boot: -v -f

Why not just buy a more compatible nVidia graphics card that can simply use GraphicsEnabler in the Boot.plist file.....

Oh I must of missed that! Could installing via your DVD vs [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] give me any additional hope for getting working graphics out of the box?

Buying a better Graphics card might be a better possibility! How do I know which cards are "fully" compatible?

Oh I must of missed that! Could installing via your DVD vs [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] give me any additional hope for getting working graphics out of the box?

OS X itself does not determine whether your graphics work OTB........the key point is that you will have a proper full Snow Leopard Retail OS X installation >>>> Retail Lion OS Installation.......so you can keep up to date with Xcode versions via the App Store......

For graphics card ideas see here......

OS X itself does not determine whether your graphics work OTB........the key point is that you will have a proper full Snow Leopard Retail OS X installation >>>> Retail Lion OS Installation.......so you can keep up to date with Xcode versions via the App Store......

Yes, that's true. Luckily for class, we only need Xcode 4.0.2 which is what will run on Snow Leopard, so I'm not worried about Lion right now.

I'm not sure if you saw, but I edited the post above asking what a good video card would be. Like how would I know if a video card is fully compatible?

I'm gonna mess around with NVEnabler again, and if I get a black screen again, I might try Leopard install.

Also, one more thing that I noticed isn't quite working right - Sleep mode. Not sure if this is supposed to work on Hackintoshes....

Yes, that's true. Luckily for class, we only need Xcode 4.0.2 which is what will run on Snow Leopard, so I'm not worried about Lion right now.

I'm not sure if you saw, but I edited the post above asking what a good video card would be. Like how would I know if a video card is fully compatible?

I'm gonna mess around with NVEnabler again, and if I get a black screen again, I might try Leopard install.

I edited the post above......

BTW just in case you "missed it" in post #1 , note:

{a} when using NVEnabler, you still need to insert your graphics card(s) Device ID into the Info.plist files of the NVDAResman.kext and the NVDANV40hal.kext or NVDANV50hal.kext.....

{b} while you have these 3 methods:

1. Chameleon 2.0 GraphicsEnabler option via com.apple.Boot.plist:

2. Hexadecimal graphics string option via com.apple.Boot.plist:

3. NVEnabler injector kext, which enables TV-OUT and injects 2nd display operation very well……or any other nVidia graphics injector kext

they are mutually exclusive......use only one method at a time......

Going offline now........hope you make some progress on the graphics front........:)

I edited the post above......

BTW just in case you "missed it" in post #1 , note:

{a} when using NVEnabler, you still need to insert your graphics card(s) Device ID into the Info.plist files of the NVDAResman.kext and the NVDANV40hal.kext or NVDANV50hal.kext.....

{b} while you have these 3 methods:

1. Chameleon 2.0 GraphicsEnabler option via com.apple.Boot.plist:

2. Hexadecimal graphics string option via com.apple.Boot.plist:

3. NVEnabler injector kext, which enables TV-OUT and injects 2nd display operation very well……or any other nVidia graphics injector kext

they are mutually exclusive......use only one method at a time......

Going offline now........hope you make some progress on the graphics front........ :)

I redid the NVEnabler method and IT'S WORKING! I'M IN 1080P RIGHT NOW!!!

Thank you so much! The last thing I need is sleep mode working, if you have any advice for that let me know!!!

EDIT: Also sound doesn't appear to be working anymore, it was before installing chameleon (booting with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]). Any ideas?

I redid the NVEnabler method and IT'S WORKING! I'M IN 1080P RIGHT NOW!!!

Thank you so much! The last thing I need is sleep mode working, if you have any advice for that let me know!!!

EDIT: Also sound doesn't appear to be working anymore, it was before installing chameleon (booting with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]). Any ideas?

Sleep invariably does not work on nForce chipset MOBOs......

As for sound on your EVGA 680i SLi Motherboard, I am assuming you have an onboard ALC885 audio codec/chipset as expected, go to post #5 in my OS X Lion install guide.......

Creative X-Fi PCI Sound Card......maybe this driver......only PCI-Express based X-Fi's are working with VoodooHDA I believe......

Abit Airpace 802.11g PCI-E 1x Wifi Adapter (Atheros AR5007EG)........you will have to try the different methods posted on Insanelymac for this......

Sleep invariably does not work on nForce chipset MOBOs......

As for sound on your EVGA 680i SLi Motherboard, assuming you have an onboard ALC885 audio codec/chipset as expected, go to post #5 in my OS X Lion install guide.......

Creative X-Fi PCI Sound Card......maybe this driver......only PCI-Express based X-Fi's are working with VoodooHDA I believe......

Abit Airpace 802.11g PCI-E 1x Wifi Adapter (Atheros AR5007EG)........you will have to try the different methods posted on Insanelymac for this......

I did some research, and learned that my motherboard does indeed have the 885 audio chipset.

However, I'm unable to find the HDEF string in my DSDT file. I tried using HDAEnabler but haven't had success with that.

I don't get it - audio worked great when booting with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. Is there anything else I should try?

EDIT: Again, I spoke too soon!

I got sound working using the following method:

AppleHDA.kext (S/L/E) and LegacyHDA.kext (E/E) in your POST 5 for ALC885.

Instead of DSDT modding (since I couldn't find the correct values), I used HDAEnabler.kext (E/E).

Rebooted, and IT WORKED! Again this seems to be a working method for EVGA 680i SLi Motherboards.

Thanks again verdant!! You are the man!

I did some research, and learned that my motherboard does indeed have the 885 audio chipset.

However, I'm unable to find the HDEF string in my DSDT file. I tried using HDAEnabler but haven't had success with that.

I don't get it - audio worked great when booting with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. Is there anything else I should try?

EDIT: Again, I spoke too soon!

I got sound working using the following method:

AppleHDA.kext (S/L/E) and LegacyHDA.kext (E/E) in your POST 5 for ALC885.

Instead of DSDT modding (since I couldn't find the correct values), I used HDAEnabler.kext (E/E).

Rebooted, and IT WORKED! Again this seems to be a working method for EVGA 680i SLi Motherboards.

Thanks again verdant!! You are the man!

Yes, the HDAEnabler.kext is an alternative to DSDT modding with the Device (HDEF) plus DTGP Method patches.........

In reply to

However, I'm unable to find the HDEF string in my DSDT file.

I have now re-written the instructions in my OS X LIon Install Guide topic post #5 Item 2. for Realtek ALC885/889a, to make it clearer to understand.....

You need to search your DSDT for the presence of either Device (AZA) or Device (AZAL) or Device (AZAD) and replace AZA, AZAL, or AZAD with HDEF, giving Device (HDEF) and insert the HDEF patch into the section, and so on, as now explained more clearly in post #5...... :)

What about your PCI sound card.....?

BTW what was needed to get NVEnabler.kext working for you......?

Yes, the HDAEnabler.kext is an alternative to DSDT modding with the Device (HDEF) plus DTGP Method patches.........

In reply to

I have now re-written the instructions in my OS X LIon Install Guide topic post #5 Item 2. for Realtek ALC885/889a, to make it clearer to understand.....

You need to search your DSDT for the presence of either Device (AZA) or Device (AZAL) or Device (AZAD) and replace AZA, AZAL, or AZAD with HDEF, giving Device (HDEF) and insert the HDEF patch into the section, and so on, as now explained more clearly in post #5...... :|

What about your PCI sound card.....?

BTW what was needed to get NVEnabler.kext working for you......?

Okay, the guide makes a lot more sense now then!

From what I've read, getting the PCI sound card to work is either impossible or difficult, so I'm not going to try it. Same with the WiFi adapter.

The reason NVEnabler didn't work for me the first time was because I was trying multiple methods to get video working at once (my fault). It resulted in a black screen. HDAEnabler didn't work the first time because I think I was using the wrong version of AppleHDA (I'm now using the 10.6.2 version in your post 5 of the Lion tutorial).

Here is a summary of my entire setup:

Again my system specs:

EVGA 680i SLi Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU

XFX (Nvidia) 7900GS Video Card

160GB IDE HDD 7200RPM (target drive for OSX, set as slave jumper)

160GB SATA HDD 7200RPM (with Windows 7)

LG DVD-RW IDE Disk Drive (set as primary jumper)

2GB Super Talent DDR2 RAM

Abit Airpace 802.11g PCI-E 1x Wifi Adapter (Atheros AR5007EG) (from what I've read, this MIGHT work, but requires some effort. I kept this plugged in to use on my Windows boot).

Creative X-Fi PCI Sound Card (from what I've read, there is no solution to making this work. I kept this plugged in to use on my Windows boot)

Here is a set of instructions I made for myself in case I have to reinstall SL:

1. Set OSX HDD as primary Hard Drive in BIOS

2. Use [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] to install OSX Snow Leopard (alternatively, use verdant's nforceSL132Boot ISO. I used [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] because before finding this thread, I was incorrectly trying to use tony's [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] + [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] install guide. That won't work for nForce Mobos!)

3. Run Chameleon 2.0 RC4.pkg (I'm not sure if it's necessary to run this before RC5, but I did anyway just to be safe).

4. Run Chameleon 2.0 RC5_r828.pkg

5. Do not restart the computer. Instead, install com.apple.Boot.plist and SMBIOS.plist files in /Extra (verdant provided these for me, and I never looked at their contents so I'm not really sure how to make these)

6. Install the following in /Extra/Extensions:

AppleNForceATA.64AnV.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

fakesmc.V2.5.kext

LegacyHDA.kext

HDAEnabler.kext

7. Install the following in /System/Library/Extensions:

AppleHDA.kext (overwrite)

nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext

NVEnabler64.kext

8. Edit the NVDANVX40hal.kext by adding the device id for the XFX 7900GS video card (0x029210de&0xfff0ffff) in the info.plist file.

9. Run these commands:

sudo chown -R root:wheel  /System/Library/Extensions/
  sudo chmod -R 755  /System/Library/Extensions/
  sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

10. Restart the computer.

11. (Optional) Apply the 10.6.8 update. Recommended for the latest features/bug fixes from Apple.

As you can see, I didn't have to do any DSDT patching since I used NVEnabler for video and HDAEnabler for audio. If you don't like using the enablers, you could alternatively use DSDT patching (part B of post 1).

The only thing I can see that isn't working, is Sleep mode. When I enter sleep mode, my monitor shuts off, hard drives shut off, but the fans remain on. Also, pressing the power button or keyboard does not wake the computer so I'm force to shut it down completely. If anyone has advice on this, let me know!

I've attached all the kexts I used. I hope this helps someone!

EVGA_680i.zip

@ CoBrA2168

Thanks for that clear summary.......it will be very helpful, especially for nForce MOBO owners who come across the iBootCD + [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] approach and attempt to install Snow leopard before seeing this thread.......:|

What you describe is common to nForce users when attempting to sleep OS X.......sleep does not work on nForce chipset MOBOs as far as I am aware........iLeopod had tried very hard to do it by DSDT modding on his 680i MOBO but unfortunately without success........

Cheers

verdant

@ CoBrA2168

Thanks for that clear summary.......it will be very helpful, especially for nForce MOBO owners who come across the iBootCD + [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] approach and attempt to install Snow leopard before seeing this thread....... :|

Cheers

verdant

No problem! Expect to hear from me again when I need to upgrade to Lion :P

Thanks again.