nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

nForce chipset + Intel CPU nForce 650i and 680i chipset nForce 750i and 780i chipset nForce 790i and 790i Ultra Possibly nForce 630i chipset

• Please log in to reply
2141 replies to this topic

Poll: Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop (212 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

1. Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method (34 votes [16.04%])

Percentage of vote: 16.04%

2. Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method (50 votes [23.58%])

Percentage of vote: 23.58%

3. Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method (18 votes [8.49%])

Percentage of vote: 8.49%

4. Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method (14 votes [6.60%])

Percentage of vote: 6.60%

5. Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method (13 votes [6.13%])

Percentage of vote: 6.13%

6. Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method (6 votes [2.83%])

Percentage of vote: 2.83%

7. Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume (10 votes [4.72%])

Percentage of vote: 4.72%

8. Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume (9 votes [4.25%])

Percentage of vote: 4.25%

9. Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume (7 votes [3.30%])

Percentage of vote: 3.30%

10. No, none of the above methods has worked for me (35 votes [16.51%])

Percentage of vote: 16.51%

11. I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO..... (10 votes [4.72%])

Percentage of vote: 4.72%

12. I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac (6 votes [2.83%])

Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

1. 100% (60 votes [28.30%])

Percentage of vote: 28.30%

2. 90% (53 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. 80% (20 votes [9.43%])

Percentage of vote: 9.43%

4. 70% (19 votes [8.96%])

Percentage of vote: 8.96%

5. 60% (4 votes [1.89%])

Percentage of vote: 1.89%

6. 50% (6 votes [2.83%])

7. <50% (18 votes [8.49%])

Percentage of vote: 8.49%

8. Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems (20 votes [9.43%])

Percentage of vote: 9.43%

9. Are all the standard Apple applications running OK (12 votes [5.66%])

Percentage of vote: 5.66%

Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

1. SATA HDD (172 votes [13.25%])

Percentage of vote: 13.25%

2. SATA DVDRW including burning disks (47 votes [3.62%])

Percentage of vote: 3.62%

3. PATA (IDE) HDD (42 votes [3.24%])

Percentage of vote: 3.24%

4. PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks (51 votes [3.93%])

Percentage of vote: 3.93%

5. Video (145 votes [11.17%])

Percentage of vote: 11.17%

6. Onboard LAN (Ethernet) (131 votes [10.09%])

Percentage of vote: 10.09%

7. USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse (161 votes [12.40%])

Percentage of vote: 12.40%

8. Firewire (54 votes [4.16%])

Percentage of vote: 4.16%

9. PS/2 keyboard and mouse (42 votes [3.24%])

Percentage of vote: 3.24%

10. Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone (63 votes [4.85%])

Percentage of vote: 4.85%

11. Audio except Front Panel headphones (38 votes [2.93%])

Percentage of vote: 2.93%

12. Audio except Front Panel microphone (27 votes [2.08%])

Percentage of vote: 2.08%

13. Sleep including waking from sleep (24 votes [1.85%])

Percentage of vote: 1.85%

14. PCI NIC (24 votes [1.85%])

Percentage of vote: 1.85%

15. eSATA (20 votes [1.54%])

Percentage of vote: 1.54%

16. Bluetooth (41 votes [3.16%])

Percentage of vote: 3.16%

17. WiFi (38 votes [2.93%])

Percentage of vote: 2.93%

18. Time Machine (53 votes [4.08%])

Percentage of vote: 4.08%

19. Overclocking (35 votes [2.70%])

Percentage of vote: 2.70%

20. Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1 (90 votes [6.93%])

Percentage of vote: 6.93%

Vote Guests cannot vote

samdelgado

samdelgado

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
OK...

I went ahead and reinstalled Leopard to a 25gb partition to do Step D of this guide. I followed every step for the USB installer, and every step for the Snow Leopard HDD and went to install it got stuck about 5% in permanently. I had the installer log open and there thousands of errors. I am not sure what I did wrong but I am getting stuck on the actual installer.

I went to reboot to try to install again, and it showed something about the CMOS resetting and all of my bios settings go back to default. Does this mean I did something wrong with the whole DSDT patcher?

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,601 posts
  • Interests:At home, I have the following computers......
    >
    >
    >

OK...

I went ahead and reinstalled Leopard to a 25gb partition to do Step D of this guide. I followed every step for the USB installer, and every step for the Snow Leopard HDD and went to install it got stuck about 5% in permanently. I had the installer log open and there thousands of errors. I am not sure what I did wrong but I am getting stuck on the actual installer.

I went to reboot to try to install again, and it showed something about the CMOS resetting and all of my bios settings go back to default. Does this mean I did something wrong with the whole DSDT patcher?

That means that your DSDT.aml file has not been patched correctly.......check your dsdt.dsl file that you have changed the two device (RTC) IO segment length values to 0x02....and make a new DSDT.aml file....

rohizzle121

rohizzle121

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

My view is that the kext utility did not build the the Extensions.mkext cache file pathway to NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in /Extra/Extensions properly properly (although it is probably setting the kext permissions correctly which is important)......so delete the Extensions.mkext cache file from /Extra on your USB flash drive OS X Installer.....

If an Extensions.mkext file is not present in /Extra the kexts in /Extra/Extensions will be loaded directly......the Extensions.mkext cache file being more of a convenience than a necessity at bootup in terms of a somewhat reduced bootup time; being a cached version of all the kexts in the Extensions folder, resulting in faster loading of the extensions at boot.

OS X continues to use the Extensions.mkext file until its modified date is different from that of the Extensions folder itself; at which point, it reverts to loading them from the Extensions folder and then re-creates the Extensions.mkext file......in Leopard (BUT NOT Snow Leopard at present) booting with -f forces the kexts to be loaded from the Extensions folder at bootup and then recreates the Extensions.mkext file....

ok so that fixed my problem!
but then another one came up :/
after it boots, my tv says theres no signal. im assuming its becuase of a GFX problem, becuase when i use -x it works but i get a KP when i try and install. any suggestions?

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,601 posts
    >
    >
    >

ok so that fixed my problem!
but then another one came up :/
after it boots, my tv says theres no signal. im assuming its becuase of a GFX problem, becuase when i use -x it works but i get a KP when i try and install. any suggestions?

Did you put an graphics EFI string in the com.apple.Boot.plist on the USB flash drive.....? If you did then remove it......

rohizzle121

rohizzle121

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Did you put an graphics EFI string in the com.apple.Boot.plist on the USB flash drive.....? If you did then remove it......

i didnt put in the one on the flash drive only on the one on my HDD

samdelgado

samdelgado

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

That means that your DSDT.aml file has not been patched correctly.......check your dsdt.dsl file that you have changed the two device (RTC) IO segment length values to 0x02....and make a new DSDT.aml file....

Ok...I might have been confused with the directions. Am I simply copy and pasting this whole quote into the editor?

Device (RTC)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
Name (ATT0, ResourceTemplate ()
{
IO (Decode16,
0x0070, // Range Minimum
0x0070, // Range Maximum
0x00, // Alignment
0x04, // Length -> change 0x04 to 0x02
)
})
Name (ATT1, ResourceTemplate ()
{
IO (Decode16,
0x0070, // Range Minimum
0x0070, // Range Maximum
0x00, // Alignment
)

Or am I actually changing the 0x04 values to 0x02 manually after I paste it? I just copy and pasted the whole thinking that this (change 0x04 to 0x02) was going to change it for me. Was I right or wrong?

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,601 posts
    >
    >
    >

Ok...I might have been confused with the directions. Am I simply copy and pasting this whole quote into the editor?

Device (RTC)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
Name (ATT0, ResourceTemplate ()
{
IO (Decode16,
0x0070, // Range Minimum
0x0070, // Range Maximum
0x00, // Alignment
)
})
Name (ATT1, ResourceTemplate ()
{
IO (Decode16,
0x0070, // Range Minimum
0x0070, // Range Maximum
0x00, // Alignment
)

Or am I actually changing the 0x04 values to 0x02 manually after I paste it? I just copy and pasted the whole thinking that this (change 0x04 to 0x02) was going to change it for me. Was I right or wrong?

There is no cutting and pasting involved at all!

The steps yoiu have to go through will generate a dsdt.aml file that is specific to your PC, which then needs to be de-compiled to the corresponding dsdt.dsl file, that you can then edit using the Terminal nano editor......you can use its search function or keyboard arrow keys to find your device (RTC) section and change the two IO segment length values you see to 0x02.....then save the modified dsdt.dsl file, which is then re-compiled to give you your modified dsdt.aml file, that you then copy/rename as DSDT.aml file to later use in your / directories on the USB stick and HDD......

mola78

mola78

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
Hi,
still don't get QE to work.

Geforce 6200 256MB AGP.

Anyone who successfully managed to get GeforceAGP GK to enable with QE?

What i tried already: nvinject, nvkush, natit, titan, nvenabler, efistrings....

P

samdelgado

samdelgado

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

There is no cutting and pasting involved at all!

The steps yoiu have to go through will generate a dsdt.aml file that is specific to your PC, which then needs to be de-compiled to the corresponding dsdt.dsl file, that you can then edit using the Terminal nano editor......you can use its search function or keyboard arrow keys to find your device (RTC) section and change the two IO segment length values you see to 0x02.....then save the modified dsdt.dsl file, which is then re-compiled to give you your modified dsdt.aml file, that you then copy/rename as DSDT.aml file to later use in your / directories on the USB stick and HDD......

Ok now I see that i actually had to scroll through and find those numbers. One thing I did notice is I don't have that 2nd section with (ATT1). Under my RTC Device I only have one number to change and it was 0x08...so i changed it to 0x02. It just didn't look anything like your instructions.

rohizzle121

rohizzle121

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

i didnt put in the one on the flash drive only on the one on my HDD

i actually tried putting the EFI string and it worked!
but
and theres always a but

it freezes during install. about two min in and when i looked at the log, and all it said was installed ichat. or somthing.

anyidea?

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,601 posts
    >
    >
    >

i actually tried putting the EFI string and it worked!
but
and theres always a but

it freezes during install. about two min in and when i looked at the log, and all it said was installed ichat. or somthing.

anyidea?

Does it say failed to extract package or or could not install support files.....?

samdelgado

samdelgado

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
verdant,

Ok now I see that i actually had to scroll through and find those numbers. One thing I did notice is I don't have that 2nd section with (ATT1). Under my RTC Device I only have one number to change and it was 0x08...so i changed it to 0x02. It just didn't look anything like your instructions.

I tried installing again, it froze at about 10% in the install with lots of errors showing up on the bottom, and then on reboot it said the cmos stuff reset again. So i know it is the DSDR.aml file, but I just can't find the same numbers to change as your directions show.

rohizzle121

rohizzle121

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Does it say failed to extract package or or could not install support files.....?

i get
"retrying files://localhost/system/installation/packages/ADDITIONALSPEECHVOICE.PKG"
and then fails

i took out all of the drivers

i found i get the same thing in -x

im sorry for asking so many questions i just really want snowleo!

thanks for your patience

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,601 posts
    >
    >
    >

i get both
i get it sometimes
at java tools
and then addition speech voices
and then
i found i get the same thing in -x

im sorry for asking so many questions i just really want snowleo!

thanks for your patience

It sounds like your Mac OS X Install DVD image is corrupted and/or the Retail OS X Install DVD source itself is possibly corrupted.....see here.....

rohizzle121

rohizzle121

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

It sounds like your Mac OS X Install DVD image is corrupted and/or the Retail OS X Install DVD source itself is possibly corrupted.....see here.....

i just checked in leo and it says its ok.
i am really confused:/ i think i am going to rerip the disc and start over fresh

*crosses fingers*

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,601 posts
    >
    >
    >

i just checked in leo and it says its ok.
i am really confused:/ i think i am going to rerip the disc and start over fresh

*crosses fingers*

Do not get too frustrated...... I had to make two .dmg images of the DVD and try two different USB flash drives before I got a USB flash drive (Corsair voyager) and one .dmg image of the DVD to work reliably.......it seems to need a high quality fast USB 2.0 flash drive.....

verdant,

I tried installing again, it froze at about 10% in the install with lots of errors showing up on the bottom, and then on reboot it said the cmos stuff reset again. So i know it is the DSDR.aml file, but I just can't find the same numbers to change as your directions show.

Post your dsdt.dsl file here in a codebox.......

rohizzle121

rohizzle121

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
ok so i restored another image of it and its like messing up somewhere else now

"launchctl : Dubious ownership on file skipping: /system/Library/Launchdaemons
nothing found to load"

any suggestions?

samdelgado

samdelgado

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
Sorry about such a long post I just cannot get this codebox working.

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,601 posts
    >
    >
    >

Sorry about such a long post I just cannot get this codebox working.

Other people have reported this as their laptop dsdt.dsl......

Device (RTC)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId (”PNP0B00″))
Name (_CRS, ResourceTemplate ()
{
IO (Decode16,
0×0070, // Range Minimum
0×0070, // Range Maximum
0×01, // Alignment
0×08, // Length
)
})
}

which matches yours......and found that changing 0x08 to 0x02 fixed the CMOS reset problem.....

Do you see any errors when running the DSDT Patcher to generate your initial dsdt.aml before modify the RTC?
Also after making the changes to your dsdtl.dsl file, on opening it again, can you confirm that the changes have been saved before you recompile to dsdt.aml form and then copy it as DSDT.aml to put in the / directory......?

PS Please delete your very long dsdt.dsl post as it is no longer needed.....thanks

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,601 posts
    >
    >
    >

ok so i restored another image of it and its like messing up somewhere else now

"launchctl : Dubious ownership on file skipping: /system/Library/Launchdaemons
nothing found to load"

any suggestions?

You could try Superhai's BootCD.....I have asked him if I can use/mod it for nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs....I am awaiting his reply......

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nForce chipset + Intel CPU, nForce 650i and 680i chipset, nForce 750i and 780i chipset, nForce 790i and 790i Ultra, Possibly nForce 630i chipset

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy