nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

i just checked in leo and it says its ok.

i am really confused:/ i think i am going to rerip the disc and start over fresh

*crosses fingers*

Do not get too frustrated...... I had to make two .dmg images of the DVD and try two different USB flash drives before I got a USB flash drive (Corsair voyager) and one .dmg image of the DVD to work reliably.......it seems to need a high quality fast USB 2.0 flash drive.....

verdant,

Ok now I see that i actually had to scroll through and find those numbers. One thing I did notice is I don't have that 2nd section with (ATT1). Under my RTC Device I only have one number to change and it was 0x08...so i changed it to 0x02. It just didn't look anything like your instructions.

I tried installing again, it froze at about 10% in the install with lots of errors showing up on the bottom, and then on reboot it said the cmos stuff reset again. So i know it is the DSDR.aml file, but I just can't find the same numbers to change as your directions show.

Post your dsdt.dsl file here in a codebox.......

Sorry about such a long post I just cannot get this codebox working.

Other people have reported this as their laptop dsdt.dsl......

Device (RTC)

{

Name (_HID, EisaId (”PNP0B00″))

Name (_CRS, ResourceTemplate ()

{

IO (Decode16,

0×0070, // Range Minimum

0×0070, // Range Maximum

0×01, // Alignment

0×08, // Length

)

})

}

which matches yours......and found that changing 0x08 to 0x02 fixed the CMOS reset problem.....

Do you see any errors when running the DSDT Patcher to generate your initial dsdt.aml before modify the RTC?

Also after making the changes to your dsdtl.dsl file, on opening it again, can you confirm that the changes have been saved before you recompile to dsdt.aml form and then copy it as DSDT.aml to put in the / directory......?

PS Please delete your very long dsdt.dsl post as it is no longer needed.....thanks

ok so i restored another image of it and its like messing up somewhere else now

"launchctl : Dubious ownership on file skipping: /system/Library/Launchdaemons

nothing found to load"

any suggestions?

You could try Superhai's BootCD.....I have asked him if I can use/mod it for nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs....I am awaiting his reply......

WOOOHOOO!

i got it working-ish

ok so

restore the DMG

then i used this

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185823

to

make the DSDT.aml

install chamelon rc3

install my kexts

on my flash drive

i edited the .aml usuing DSDTSE

[http://www.osx86.es/?p=610]

and then i used your com.apple.plist thing and put in my EFI strings

[if i didnt it wouldnt work]

when installing i took out all the drivers/languages/x11 stuff

installed perfectly

and when i try using the wireless during the intial setup, it crashed.

so i did it in safemode and it worked and i can boot into safe mode

but i get a KP or it just hangs when i do normal mode and i am 99% sure its becuase of my wireless card drivers, and i think i need to be in 32bbit mode but i dont know the kernal flag for it, i am usuing cham rc3

PS

100th post!!

woohooo! :)

WOOOHOOO!

i got it working-ish

ok so

restore the DMG

then i used this

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185823

to

make the DSDT.aml

install chamelon rc3

install my kexts

on my flash drive

i edited the .aml usuing DSDTSE

[http://www.osx86.es/?p=610]

and then i used your com.apple.plist thing and put in my EFI strings

[if i didnt it wouldnt work]

when installing i took out all the drivers/languages/x11 stuff

installed perfectly

and when i try using the wireless during the intial setup, it crashed.

so i did it in safemode and it worked and i can boot into safe mode

but i get a KP or it just hangs when i do normal mode and i am 99% sure its becuase of my wireless card drivers, and i think i need to be in 32bbit mode but i dont know the kernal flag for it, i am usuing cham rc3

Glad you are finally having some success....... :)

arch=i386 :)

Thank you so much for your help! You don't understand how greatful I am!

I have learned so much in the process of installing snow.

anyways, I think I spoke too soon.

So I saw that you updated your supportfiles, which inspired mento update my drivers. Which for some reason messed everything up. And now it won't boot in anyway possible. It just gets stuck on random kexts. And occasioly it gets stuck on like airport link up or somthing like that.

Do you have a archvied copy of the orginal install files? I would really like to have the kexts from there :(

I want to do a fresh reinstall but this time I know kore of what to do.

EDIT

NVM I see it now:)

Ok so another problem arose:/

I use my PC as a htpc and it's plugged into my TV via VGA.

It's a 1080p tv. But I can't get it to boot to that res. I tried the graphics mode thing and the 1080p won't show up in system pref in snowleo OR Leo. I have never gotten 1080p while running osx. Only windows vista/7. I know my card is MORE thancapabke of that resution. Any suggestion? Or should I post over in the postinstall forum?

Thanks again!

:).

Thank you so much for your help! You don't understand how greatful I am!

I have learned so much in the process of installing snow.

anyways, I think I spoke too soon.

So I saw that you updated your supportfiles, which inspired mento update my drivers. Which for some reason messed everything up. And now it won't boot in anyway possible. It just gets stuck on random kexts. And occasioly it gets stuck on like airport link up or somthing like that.

Do you have a archvied copy of the orginal install files? I would really like to have the kexts from there :P

I want to do a fresh reinstall but this time I know kore of what to do.

EDIT

NVM I see it now:)

Ok so another problem arose:/

I use my PC as a htpc and it's plugged into my TV via VGA.

It's a 1080p tv. But I can't get it to boot to that res. I tried the graphics mode thing and the 1080p won't show up in system pref in snowleo OR Leo. I have never gotten 1080p while running osx. Only windows vista/7. I know my card is MORE thancapabke of that resution. Any suggestion? Or should I post over in the postinstall forum?

Thanks again!

:P .

Glad to help....... :)

Check that you are using the correct NVCAP values.......go to link in here..... :)

Ok...

So I got the whole DSDT.aml situation squared away, and my bios is no longer being reset. I followed the guide perfectly, but was getting a kernel panic immediately after selecting to boot from my USB. I went back and the deleted the extensions.mkext files, and it still gave me the panic. I decided to restart by using chameleon rc3. When I booted again, I had the immediate kernel panic, so I deleted the mkext files again, and it actually starts going! The only issue is after about 5 minutes, it takes me to a gray screen with the little spinning rainbow wheel, and it stays there indefinitely. I have done this over 5 times by deleting everything and restarting your guide. It basically gets to the point where I should be installing but it just stops with the spinning wheel. Any idea what is going on? Thanks.

Ok...

So I got the whole DSDT.aml situation squared away, and my bios is no longer being reset. I followed the guide perfectly, but was getting a kernel panic immediately after selecting to boot from my USB. I went back and the deleted the extensions.mkext files, and it still gave me the panic. I decided to restart by using chameleon rc3. When I booted again, I had the immediate kernel panic, so I deleted the mkext files again, and it actually starts going! The only issue is after about 5 minutes, it takes me to a gray screen with the little spinning rainbow wheel, and it stays there indefinitely. I have done this over 5 times by deleting everything and restarting your guide. It basically gets to the point where I should be installing but it just stops with the spinning wheel. Any idea what is going on? Thanks.

So what was the DSDT.aml problem you were having.......?

What kexts have you installed in /Extra.....?

The fact that you can boot sometimes after deleting Extensions.mkext file suggests that your permissions are not being set consistently.....also boot with -v -x32 so that you can see what is going on.......?

So what was the DSDT.aml problem you were having.......?

What kexts have you installed in /Extra.....?

The fact that you can boot sometimes after deleting Extensions.mkext file suggests that your permissions are not being set consistently.....also boot with -v -x32 so that you can see what is going on.......?

I had like the DSDT from the laptop so I had to change it from 0x08 to 0x02. In extra I have installed exactly everything you did you in the guide. Since I am on RC3 do i boot with arch=i386?

Ok so I just booted with -v -x32 and it stopped for a little bit at

AppleNForceATA: found 0 units

System shutdown false

does that mean the AppleNForceATA kext isnt working?

I had like the DSDT from the laptop so I had to change it from 0x08 to 0x02. In extra I have installed exactly everything you did you in the guide. Since I am on RC3 do i boot with arch=i386?

Ok so I just booted with -v -x32 and it stopped for a little bit at

AppleNForceATA: found 0 units

System shutdown false

does that mean the AppleNForceATA kext isnt working?

Yes, RC3

arch=i386 for 32bit

and no, because if it didn't load, you would get a still waiting for root device error. I assume it's just rescanning and it didn't find anything new. But I'm not 100% onbthat one.

Yes, RC3

arch=i386 for 32bit

and no, because if it didn't load, you would get a still waiting for root device error. I assume it's just rescanning and it didn't find anything new. But I'm not 100% onbthat one.

Not sure if you guys noticed yet that I have not installed SL yet. I keep freezing up at the install screen. It just stays gray with the spinning rainbow wheel indefinitely. Are these boot commands going to change anything even when it is not installed?

Not sure if you guys noticed yet that I have not installed SL yet. I keep freezing up at the install screen. It just stays gray with the spinning rainbow wheel indefinitely. Are these boot commands going to change anything even when it is not installed?

Are you booting the USB SL installer with -v -x32 so that you can see where the kernel panic is occurring....?

Also, in preparation for installing SL, suggest you put the following under Kernal Flags

-v arch=i386 rd=diskXsY boot-uuid="your target OS X volume UUID" SORRY just spotted a typo! Corrected in red

in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist, so that it does not matter which com.apple.Boot.plist is read first.......

Use Disk Utility or in Terminal, diskutil list to determine X and Y.....

Are you booting the USB SL installer with -v -x32 so that you can see where the kernel panic is occurring....?

Also, in preparation for installing SL, suggest you put the following under Kernal Flags

-v arch=i386 rd-diskXsY boot-uuid="your target OS X volume UUID"

in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist, so that it does not matter which com.apple.Boot.plist is read first.......

Use Disk Utility or in Terminal, diskutil list to determine X and Y.....

OK,

So do I want to put that string in the com.apple.Boot.plist files on the USB as well as the HDD I am installing too? And also for the rd-diskXsY part am I putting the number of the USB or the HDD I am installing to? Thanks I think I am close :star_smile:

OK,

So do I want to put that string in the com.apple.Boot.plist files on the USB as well as the HDD I am installing too? And also for the rd-diskXsY part am I putting the number of the USB or the HDD I am installing to? Thanks I think I am close :star_smile:

I would suggest you do it for both, obviously using the respective diskXsY and boot-uuid values for the USB and HDD,.....as there is some indication that RC3 may not load com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra first.....

-v arch=i386 rd=diskXsY boot-uuid="your target OS X volume UUID" SORRY just spotted a typo! Corrected in red

Glad to help....... :)

Check that you are using the correct NVCAP values.......go to link in here..... :P

yay! 1080p in leo!

but i am having a hard time with snowleo and my wireless card. [dwa-552]

it works for everyone in 32bit but not 64, which is fine

but when i am in 32, it freezes

do i need to go to cpus=1?

or no?

and is updating to 10.6.1 going to help with my wireless woes?

i could go to my LAN but i heard getting nForceLAN is not a easy endeavor.

tips/tricks?

yay! 1080p in leo!

but i am having a hard time with snowleo and my wireless card. [dwa-552]

it works for everyone in 32bit but not 64, which is fine

but when i am in 32, it freezes

do i need to go to cpus=1?

or no?

and is updating to 10.6.1 going to help with my wireless woes?

i could go to my LAN but i heard getting nForceLAN is not a easy endeavor.

tips/tricks?

What did you have to do to get 1080p working in Snow Leopard?

I do not believe cpus=1 will work because SL expects at least two cores to be running....

Some have got the 64bit eno nForceLAN.kext working by the steps mentioned in my guide.....putting IONetworkingFamily.kext in /Extra/Extensions with NForceLAN.kext and removing nvenet.kext from IONetworkingFamily.kext PlugIns....

BTW have you reinstalled all the all drivers/languages/x11 stuff that you did not install initially yet?

What did you have to do to get 1080p working in Snow Leopard?

I do not believe cpus=1 will work because SL expects at least two cores to be running....

Some have got the 64bit eno nForceLAN.kext working by the steps mentioned in my guide.....putting IONetworkingFamily.kext in /Extra/Extensions with NForceLAN.kext and removing nvenet.kext from IONetworkingFamily.kext PlugIns....

BTW have you reinstalled all the all drivers/languages/x11 stuff that you did not install initially yet?

http://www.infinitemac.com/f19/guide-gefor...-leopard-t4057/

that's guys tutorial has some errors in it, you have to keep reading to find out what to fix. And for some reason the sudo command didn't work. So I just booted into -s mode and then did it.

Oh yeah! Snow has the dual core requirement.

I'll try the nforcelan thing in a bit, it's just hard to get out the wireless card because of my WC tubes >.< lol.

And no, I didn't think I needed the fonts/printer drivers/X11. But then again I don't even know what the x11 thing does.

http://www.infinitemac.com/f19/guide-gefor...-leopard-t4057/

that's guys tutorial has some errors in it, you have to keep reading to find out what to fix. And for some reason the sudo command didn't work. So I just booted into -s mode and then did it.

Oh yeah! Snow has the dual core requirement.

I'll try the nforcelan thing in a bit, it's just hard to get out the wireless card because of my WC tubes >.< lol.

And no, I didn't think I needed the fonts/printer drivers/X11. But then again I don't even know what the x11 thing does.

It allows you to run X11 based applications.....

hahah go figure.

Anyways, I will install that tomorrow, but I tried

adding the ionetworkfamily.kext in my /extra/extension and then added the nforcelan as a plug in.(nvnet wasn't IN there). I then booted with -f and it's not showing up in my system prefrences. And I took my wireless card out and it boots awesomly. I just use my iPhone to tether for the time being, but it' doesn't work very well for HD streaming lol.

Oh and about 1080p, for some reason it worked and then went back to like what it would be like with no EFI strings OR injector/drivers. I'm waiting for him to respond to my forum post to procede further.

I'm defintly loving snowleo though! It's all so pretty. I can't wait for the kexts to be caught up.

Ok, so while I was writing this I forgot I disabled on board LAN in my bios because I never thought I would need it. Wow. Epic fail on my part. I'll update you on how it works out tomorrow :)

Hello..

I've followed the guide up until Section D, and that is where I'm confused. I'm booted from the HDD that I will be overwriting with SL (currently Leopard), so what are the proper steps to boot from the USB drive, and install over the Leopard installation?

Thanks

Hello..

I've followed the guide up until Section D, and that is where I'm confused. I'm booted from the HDD that I will be overwriting with SL (currently Leopard), so what are the proper steps to boot from the USB drive, and install over the Leopard installation?

Thanks

I am not sure I understand your confusion.....?

You need to set up your target OS X 10.6 HDD volume with initially the same kexts in /Extra/Extensions as the USB flash drive installer.....the same DSDT.aml file, com.apple.Boot.plist.....and the Chameleon bootloader + appropriate boot file.....and then boot from the USB flash drive to run the Mac OS X Install DVD image etc.....

But I would not recommend you overwrite Leopard with Snow Leopard at this stage because Snow Leopard is still "settling down" as an OS.......

hahah go figure.

Anyways, I will install that tomorrow, but I tried

adding the ionetworkfamily.kext in my /extra/extension and then added the nforcelan as a plug in.(nvnet wasn't IN there). I then booted with -f and it's not showing up in my system prefrences. And I took my wireless card out and it boots awesomly. I just use my iPhone to tether for the time being, but it' doesn't work very well for HD streaming lol.

Oh and about 1080p, for some reason it worked and then went back to like what it would be like with no EFI strings OR injector/drivers. I'm waiting for him to respond to my forum post to procede further.

I'm defintly loving snowleo though! It's all so pretty. I can't wait for the kexts to be caught up.

Ok, so while I was writing this I forgot I disabled on board LAN in my bios because I never thought I would need it. Wow. Epic fail on my part. I'll update you on how it works out tomorrow :P

I have just checked in my SL 10.6.1 /S/L/E/IONetworkingFamily/Contents/PlugIns and nvenet.kext is there.....

I have not removed it as I am not using nForceLAN.kext but my RTL8169 chipset NIC.....

I am not sure I understand your confusion.....?

You need to set up your target OS X 10.6 HDD volume with initially the same kexts in /Extra/Extensions as the USB flash drive installer.....the same DSDT.aml file, com.apple.Boot.plist.....and the Chameleon bootloader + appropriate boot file.....and then boot from the USB flash drive to run the Mac OS X Install DVD image etc.....

But I would not recommend you overwrite Leopard with Snow Leopard at this stage because Snow Leopard is still "settling down" as an OS.......

The problem is that my target drive is the system that I'm currently booted into (Leopard). So are you saying that I should create an Extra/Extensions directory on my currently running system, and then boot from the USB drive?