nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

nForce chipset + Intel CPU nForce 650i and 680i chipset nForce 750i and 780i chipset nForce 790i and 790i Ultra Possibly nForce 630i chipset

• Please log in to reply
2141 replies to this topic

Poll: Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop (212 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

1. Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method (34 votes [16.04%])

Percentage of vote: 16.04%

2. Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method (50 votes [23.58%])

Percentage of vote: 23.58%

3. Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method (18 votes [8.49%])

Percentage of vote: 8.49%

4. Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method (14 votes [6.60%])

Percentage of vote: 6.60%

5. Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method (13 votes [6.13%])

Percentage of vote: 6.13%

6. Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method (6 votes [2.83%])

Percentage of vote: 2.83%

7. Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume (10 votes [4.72%])

Percentage of vote: 4.72%

8. Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume (9 votes [4.25%])

Percentage of vote: 4.25%

9. Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume (7 votes [3.30%])

Percentage of vote: 3.30%

10. No, none of the above methods has worked for me (35 votes [16.51%])

Percentage of vote: 16.51%

11. I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO..... (10 votes [4.72%])

Percentage of vote: 4.72%

12. I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac (6 votes [2.83%])

Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

1. 100% (60 votes [28.30%])

Percentage of vote: 28.30%

2. 90% (53 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. 80% (20 votes [9.43%])

Percentage of vote: 9.43%

4. 70% (19 votes [8.96%])

Percentage of vote: 8.96%

5. 60% (4 votes [1.89%])

Percentage of vote: 1.89%

6. 50% (6 votes [2.83%])

7. <50% (18 votes [8.49%])

Percentage of vote: 8.49%

8. Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems (20 votes [9.43%])

Percentage of vote: 9.43%

9. Are all the standard Apple applications running OK (12 votes [5.66%])

Percentage of vote: 5.66%

Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

1. SATA HDD (172 votes [13.25%])

Percentage of vote: 13.25%

2. SATA DVDRW including burning disks (47 votes [3.62%])

Percentage of vote: 3.62%

3. PATA (IDE) HDD (42 votes [3.24%])

Percentage of vote: 3.24%

4. PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks (51 votes [3.93%])

Percentage of vote: 3.93%

5. Video (145 votes [11.17%])

Percentage of vote: 11.17%

6. Onboard LAN (Ethernet) (131 votes [10.09%])

Percentage of vote: 10.09%

7. USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse (161 votes [12.40%])

Percentage of vote: 12.40%

8. Firewire (54 votes [4.16%])

Percentage of vote: 4.16%

9. PS/2 keyboard and mouse (42 votes [3.24%])

Percentage of vote: 3.24%

10. Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone (63 votes [4.85%])

Percentage of vote: 4.85%

11. Audio except Front Panel headphones (38 votes [2.93%])

Percentage of vote: 2.93%

12. Audio except Front Panel microphone (27 votes [2.08%])

Percentage of vote: 2.08%

13. Sleep including waking from sleep (24 votes [1.85%])

Percentage of vote: 1.85%

14. PCI NIC (24 votes [1.85%])

Percentage of vote: 1.85%

15. eSATA (20 votes [1.54%])

Percentage of vote: 1.54%

16. Bluetooth (41 votes [3.16%])

Percentage of vote: 3.16%

17. WiFi (38 votes [2.93%])

Percentage of vote: 2.93%

18. Time Machine (53 votes [4.08%])

Percentage of vote: 4.08%

19. Overclocking (35 votes [2.70%])

Percentage of vote: 2.70%

20. Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1 (90 votes [6.93%])

Percentage of vote: 6.93%

Vote Guests cannot vote

CoBrA2168

CoBrA2168

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Sleep invariably does not work on nForce chipset MOBOs......

As for sound on your EVGA 680i SLi Motherboard, assuming you have an onboard ALC885 audio codec/chipset as expected, go to post #5 in my OS X Lion install guide.......

Creative X-Fi PCI Sound Card......maybe this driver......only PCI-Express based X-Fi's are working with VoodooHDA I believe......

Abit Airpace 802.11g PCI-E 1x Wifi Adapter (Atheros AR5007EG)........you will have to try the different methods posted on Insanelymac for this......

I did some research, and learned that my motherboard does indeed have the 885 audio chipset.

However, I'm unable to find the HDEF string in my DSDT file. I tried using HDAEnabler but haven't had success with that.

I don't get it - audio worked great when booting with #####. Is there anything else I should try?

EDIT: Again, I spoke too soon!

I got sound working using the following method:
AppleHDA.kext (S/L/E) and LegacyHDA.kext (E/E) in your POST 5 for ALC885.
Instead of DSDT modding (since I couldn't find the correct values), I used HDAEnabler.kext (E/E).

Rebooted, and IT WORKED! Again this seems to be a working method for EVGA 680i SLi Motherboards.

Thanks again verdant!! You are the man!

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,601 posts
  • Interests:At home, I have the following computers......
    >
    >
    >

I did some research, and learned that my motherboard does indeed have the 885 audio chipset.

However, I'm unable to find the HDEF string in my DSDT file. I tried using HDAEnabler but haven't had success with that.

I don't get it - audio worked great when booting with #####. Is there anything else I should try?

EDIT: Again, I spoke too soon!

I got sound working using the following method:
AppleHDA.kext (S/L/E) and LegacyHDA.kext (E/E) in your POST 5 for ALC885.
Instead of DSDT modding (since I couldn't find the correct values), I used HDAEnabler.kext (E/E).

Rebooted, and IT WORKED! Again this seems to be a working method for EVGA 680i SLi Motherboards.

Thanks again verdant!! You are the man!

Yes, the HDAEnabler.kext is an alternative to DSDT modding with the Device (HDEF) plus DTGP Method patches.........

In reply to

However, I'm unable to find the HDEF string in my DSDT file.

I have now re-written the instructions in my OS X LIon Install Guide topic post #5 Item 2. for Realtek ALC885/889a, to make it clearer to understand.....

You need to search your DSDT for the presence of either Device (AZA) or Device (AZAL) or Device (AZAD) and replace AZA, AZAL, or AZAD with HDEF, giving Device (HDEF) and insert the HDEF patch into the section, and so on, as now explained more clearly in post #5...... :)

What about your PCI sound card.....?

BTW what was needed to get NVEnabler.kext working for you......?

CoBrA2168

CoBrA2168

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Yes, the HDAEnabler.kext is an alternative to DSDT modding with the Device (HDEF) plus DTGP Method patches.........

In reply to

I have now re-written the instructions in my OS X LIon Install Guide topic post #5 Item 2. for Realtek ALC885/889a, to make it clearer to understand.....

You need to search your DSDT for the presence of either Device (AZA) or Device (AZAL) or Device (AZAD) and replace AZA, AZAL, or AZAD with HDEF, giving Device (HDEF) and insert the HDEF patch into the section, and so on, as now explained more clearly in post #5...... :|

What about your PCI sound card.....?

BTW what was needed to get NVEnabler.kext working for you......?

Okay, the guide makes a lot more sense now then!

From what I've read, getting the PCI sound card to work is either impossible or difficult, so I'm not going to try it. Same with the WiFi adapter.

The reason NVEnabler didn't work for me the first time was because I was trying multiple methods to get video working at once (my fault). It resulted in a black screen. HDAEnabler didn't work the first time because I think I was using the wrong version of AppleHDA (I'm now using the 10.6.2 version in your post 5 of the Lion tutorial).

Here is a summary of my entire setup:

Again my system specs:
EVGA 680i SLi Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU
XFX (Nvidia) 7900GS Video Card
160GB IDE HDD 7200RPM (target drive for OSX, set as slave jumper)
160GB SATA HDD 7200RPM (with Windows 7)
LG DVD-RW IDE Disk Drive (set as primary jumper)
2GB Super Talent DDR2 RAM
Abit Airpace 802.11g PCI-E 1x Wifi Adapter (Atheros AR5007EG) (from what I've read, this MIGHT work, but requires some effort. I kept this plugged in to use on my Windows boot).
Creative X-Fi PCI Sound Card (from what I've read, there is no solution to making this work. I kept this plugged in to use on my Windows boot)

Here is a set of instructions I made for myself in case I have to reinstall SL:
1. Set OSX HDD as primary Hard Drive in BIOS

2. Use ##### to install OSX Snow Leopard (alternatively, use verdant's nforceSL132Boot ISO. I used ##### because before finding this thread, I was incorrectly trying to use tony's ##### + ##### install guide. That won't work for nForce Mobos!)

3. Run Chameleon 2.0 RC4.pkg (I'm not sure if it's necessary to run this before RC5, but I did anyway just to be safe).

4. Run Chameleon 2.0 RC5_r828.pkg

5. Do not restart the computer. Instead, install com.apple.Boot.plist and SMBIOS.plist files in /Extra (verdant provided these for me, and I never looked at their contents so I'm not really sure how to make these)

6. Install the following in /Extra/Extensions:

AppleNForceATA.64AnV.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
OpenHaltRestart.kext
fakesmc.V2.5.kext
LegacyHDA.kext
HDAEnabler.kext

7. Install the following in /System/Library/Extensions:

AppleHDA.kext (overwrite)
nForceLAN.0.64.5.kext
NVEnabler64.kext

8. Edit the NVDANVX40hal.kext by adding the device id for the XFX 7900GS video card (0x029210de&0xfff0ffff) in the info.plist file.

9. Run these commands:

sudo chown -R root:wheel  /System/Library/Extensions/
   sudo chmod -R 755  /System/Library/Extensions/
   sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/
   sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

10. Restart the computer.

11. (Optional) Apply the 10.6.8 update. Recommended for the latest features/bug fixes from Apple.

As you can see, I didn't have to do any DSDT patching since I used NVEnabler for video and HDAEnabler for audio. If you don't like using the enablers, you could alternatively use DSDT patching (part B of post 1).

The only thing I can see that isn't working, is Sleep mode. When I enter sleep mode, my monitor shuts off, hard drives shut off, but the fans remain on. Also, pressing the power button or keyboard does not wake the computer so I'm force to shut it down completely. If anyone has advice on this, let me know!

I've attached all the kexts I used. I hope this helps someone!

Attached Files

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,601 posts
    >
    >
    >
@ CoBrA2168

Thanks for that clear summary.......it will be very helpful, especially for nForce MOBO owners who come across the iBootCD + ##### approach and attempt to install Snow leopard before seeing this thread.......:|

What you describe is common to nForce users when attempting to sleep OS X.......sleep does not work on nForce chipset MOBOs as far as I am aware........iLeopod had tried very hard to do it by DSDT modding on his 680i MOBO but unfortunately without success........

Cheers
verdant

CoBrA2168

CoBrA2168

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

@ CoBrA2168

Thanks for that clear summary.......it will be very helpful, especially for nForce MOBO owners who come across the iBootCD + ##### approach and attempt to install Snow leopard before seeing this thread....... :|

Cheers
verdant

No problem! Expect to hear from me again when I need to upgrade to Lion :P

Thanks again.

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,601 posts
    >
    >
    >
@ CoBrA2168

No problem! When you do follow my OS X Lion Install guide, please let me know if and when you think some parts need more and/or clearer explanation....... :|

Thanks
verdant

BTW Did you also put your GFX card device ID in NVDAResman.kext as Krazubu says to do......?

CoBrA2168

CoBrA2168

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

@ CoBrA2168

No problem! When you do follow my OS X Lion Install guide, please let me know if and when you think some parts need more and/or clearer explanation....... :P

Thanks
verdant

BTW Did you also put your GFX card device ID in NVDAResman.kext as Krazubu says to do......?

Nope, just the NVDANVX40hal.kext file. I couldn't find the place to put it in the NVDAResman.kext so I just ignored it! Luckily it still worked.

That's unfortunate about the sleep mode not working on nForce mobos. That's the only thing I need for a perfect hackintosh. I'll keep an eye out on the forums if anyone figures it out, or if someone already has a solution please post it!

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,601 posts
    >
    >
    >

Nope, just the NVDANVX40hal.kext file. I couldn't find the place to put it in the NVDAResman.kext so I just ignored it! Luckily it still worked.

That's unfortunate about the sleep mode not working on nForce mobos. That's the only thing I need for a perfect hackintosh. I'll keep an eye out on the forums if anyone figures it out, or if someone already has a solution please post it!

In that case I will add a section to post #2 in my OS X Lion Guide on how to insert GFX card device IDs into the nVidia kexts......

As for sleep......who knows....?

nanokie

nanokie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
installed with hazard 10.6.1 - 10.6.2 install dvd , with final ppf. combo updated to 10.6.8 patched sleep enabler
Ran ##### for gfx and sound
everything ran fine then when using web or any type of programs the computer stutters to a stop and eventually kernel panics.
Posted Image
xfx nforce 750i
q6600 2.4ghz
4 ddr2 667mhz
nvidia gtx 460 1gb
alc888s sound
350gb harddrive

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,601 posts
    >
    >
    >

installed with hazard 10.6.1 - 10.6.2 install dvd , with final ppf. combo updated to 10.6.8 patched sleep enabler
Ran ##### for gfx and sound
everything ran fine then when using web or any type of programs the computer stutters to a stop and eventually kernel panics.

xfx nforce 750i
q6600 2.4ghz
4 ddr2 667mhz
nvidia gtx 460 1gb
alc888s sound
350gb harddrive

See if you can boot OK using -v maxmem=2048........and if you can, then with 4GB RAM you are using the wrong AppleNForceATA.kext..........use Slashack's or AnV's version......see post #1......

djdubs

djdubs

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Verdant strikes again....So I was having issue with my raid array and Verdant showed me a little trick on how to get it working on all four of my cores until applenforceata.kext is updated with raid support use maxmem=3456. I can only use half of my available ram but the system is stable finally and I will be looking forward to the updated kext whenever it may be released. Nick savage narrowed the issue down to memory. I can't wait to see what he will figure out next finally some movement on this issue! Here is some info on the subject:

http://code.google.c...ues/detail?id=2

Does Slashack Manage this? Can we get a hold of him? If you goto the project home link it has someones email slash...@gmail.com

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1754512

http://www.xtremesys...shooting-Thread

Thanks again Verdant and Nick Savage you rock!!! :P :hysterical: :D

djdubs

djdubs

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
UPDATE!

I think I may have found the solution to this issue! I have had this issue for some time I have recently rebuilt both of the members of my array using the web GUI from highpoint and I am now running with all 6gb of my memory with no esata resets or beach ball issues. I am currently streaming HD content to my apple tv via plex, watching hd content via plex on my pc, playing audio to my airport express and copying large files to and from my array all at the same time. If your having issues rebuild your array completely using the maxmem=3072 flag then you can get rid of the boot flag and run smoothly! Your array's data may just be inconsistent! Don't use Launchpad, mission control, safari, or itunes while rebuilding or your array may crash! I believe while your array is rebuilding if you have a PCI-E graphics card like my GTX280 any heavy graphics issue causes a issue between your PCI-E RAID card and your Graphics card. Also if I right click to copy or paste inside safari seems to disrupt my array for a second but it doesn't reset. Weird but it works mostly hopefully this helps. Maybe all of these sata or esata raid issues are all linked to inconsistent arrays internal or external and bad hard drives with bad sectors or bad data. If all else fails format or rebuild! I am confident now that I could run osx on my esata raid 10 array. Till USB 3.0 is working looks like we have a great alternative for now. Enjoy :)

Dr. Fresh

Dr. Fresh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
I'm scratching my head here...

I recently upgraded my Abit Aw9D-MAX motherboard to an eVGA 790i FTW. Before the upgrade, everything was working smoothly. Initially I was able to boot up, then about a minute later, everything locked up. Disabling spotlight on all of my volumes fixed this, and I was able to fix a few things. Onboard ethernet, Airport, and accelerated video were not working properly. I managed to fix the video and ethernet problems, but airport will not work anymore. I was successfully using AirportFix.kext before the upgrade, and now it just kernel panics on boot. I have also lost my USB right before login. If i boot in safe mode, USB works fine. I have already tried downgrading USB drivers to 10.6.4 version with no luck.

I had this system running perfectly before the upgrade (no DSDT) and I intend to do the same with this board.

What might be the issue here?

Heres my specs:

eVGA 790i FTW motherboard
Core 2 Quad E6600
eVGA GTX 275 OC 896MB
4GB 1333 DDR3
1.5TB Seagate 7200.11 on JMicron controller
TrendNET wireless-N PCI adapter
10.6.8 on GUID - Chimera v1.7.0 r1394

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,601 posts
    >
    >
    >

I'm scratching my head here...

I recently upgraded my Abit Aw9D-MAX motherboard to an eVGA 790i FTW. Before the upgrade, everything was working smoothly. Initially I was able to boot up, then about a minute later, everything locked up. Disabling spotlight on all of my volumes fixed this, and I was able to fix a few things. Onboard ethernet, Airport, and accelerated video were not working properly. I managed to fix the video and ethernet problems, but airport will not work anymore. I was successfully using AirportFix.kext before the upgrade, and now it just kernel panics on boot. I have also lost my USB right before login. If i boot in safe mode, USB works fine. I have already tried downgrading USB drivers to 10.6.4 version with no luck.

I had this system running perfectly before the upgrade (no DSDT) and I intend to do the same with this board.

What might be the issue here?

Heres my specs:

eVGA 790i FTW motherboard
Core 2 Quad E6600
eVGA GTX 275 OC 896MB
4GB 1333 DDR3
1.5TB Seagate 7200.11 on JMicron controller
TrendNET wireless-N PCI adapter
10.6.8 on GUID - Chimera v1.7.0 r1394

You have moved from an Intel chipset MOBO to an nForce chipset MOBO..........so I suggest a few things:

1. Check BIOS settings against my OS X template for nForce 790i chipset

2. Use a PATA (IDE) DVDRW jumper-set and cable-connected as Master to your MOBO

3. Move the HDD off the JMicron SATA MOBO port to a nVidia nForce SATA port and use imk's 64bit capable AppleNForceA.kext

4. Sort out your DSDT.aml file with the RTC patch to fix the CMOS reset issue

5. Accept that sleep will not work properly and that you may need to use maxmem=3072 for "no freeze" operation

What kexts do you have in /Extra/Extensions/ currently......?

What is your TrendNET wireless-N PCI adapter chipset......?

muiterz

muiterz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
Hi Verdant,

I can't install Mac Lion on my asus p5n32-e sli plus board. I used ##### and Myhack. Do you have a solution?

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,601 posts
    >
    >
    >

Hi Verdant,

I can't install Mac Lion on my asus p5n32-e sli plus board. I used ##### and Myhack. Do you have a solution?

Yes, follow my OS X Lion guide...... :trumpet:

muiterz

muiterz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Yes, follow my OS X Lion guide...... :trumpet:

You are my HERO!!!! :P

bisk

bisk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hello all,

I've got a pretty nice Snow Leo 10.6.8 64 bit installation in place. The only thing that I can't get is the integrated IDE controller.
SATA is working fine by just the addition of my device ID into the 10.6.5 version of /S/L/E/AppleAHCIPort.kext.
But the PATA still eludes me. Adding the device ID to any version of AppleNForceATA.kext that I have found just fails.

Here is my PATA device ...

00:08.0 IDE interface [0101]: nVidia Corporation MCP73 IDE [10de:056c] (rev a1)

This is on an Acer M1640 E6300 Core 2 Duo system. It's an nForce 7050/620i M/B.

Any ideas ?

TIA

naythinjuromeh

naythinjuromeh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

This guide is a complete mess and should be deleted. I cant make out any coherent instructions. This guide along with the other for nforce read like it was written with google translator.

Nothing is in order, links are dead (if they are even links) and nothing makes sense.

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,123 posts

I will not delete a 107 page topic just because one person doesn't like the guide that spawned it.

Show some respect. What have you done for the community?

We're in 2014, this guide is for installing an obsolete version of OS X on obsolete hardware, latest activity before your post was almost two years ago.

Why bother bumping it to the top just to tell everyone that you don't like it? You're two years late to the party.

The dead links point off-site. All the files mentioned can still be found here or elsewhere.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nForce chipset + Intel CPU, nForce 650i and 680i chipset, nForce 750i and 780i chipset, nForce 790i and 790i Ultra, Possibly nForce 630i chipset

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy