nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

nForce chipset + Intel CPU nForce 650i and 680i chipset nForce 750i and 780i chipset nForce 790i and 790i Ultra Possibly nForce 630i chipset

• Please log in to reply
2141 replies to this topic

Poll: Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop (212 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

1. Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method (34 votes [16.04%])

Percentage of vote: 16.04%

2. Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method (50 votes [23.58%])

Percentage of vote: 23.58%

3. Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method (18 votes [8.49%])

Percentage of vote: 8.49%

4. Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method (14 votes [6.60%])

Percentage of vote: 6.60%

5. Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method (13 votes [6.13%])

Percentage of vote: 6.13%

6. Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method (6 votes [2.83%])

Percentage of vote: 2.83%

7. Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume (10 votes [4.72%])

Percentage of vote: 4.72%

8. Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume (9 votes [4.25%])

Percentage of vote: 4.25%

9. Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume (7 votes [3.30%])

Percentage of vote: 3.30%

10. No, none of the above methods has worked for me (35 votes [16.51%])

Percentage of vote: 16.51%

11. I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO..... (10 votes [4.72%])

Percentage of vote: 4.72%

12. I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac (6 votes [2.83%])

Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

1. 100% (60 votes [28.30%])

Percentage of vote: 28.30%

2. 90% (53 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. 80% (20 votes [9.43%])

Percentage of vote: 9.43%

4. 70% (19 votes [8.96%])

Percentage of vote: 8.96%

5. 60% (4 votes [1.89%])

Percentage of vote: 1.89%

6. 50% (6 votes [2.83%])

7. <50% (18 votes [8.49%])

Percentage of vote: 8.49%

8. Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems (20 votes [9.43%])

Percentage of vote: 9.43%

9. Are all the standard Apple applications running OK (12 votes [5.66%])

Percentage of vote: 5.66%

Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

1. SATA HDD (172 votes [13.25%])

Percentage of vote: 13.25%

2. SATA DVDRW including burning disks (47 votes [3.62%])

Percentage of vote: 3.62%

3. PATA (IDE) HDD (42 votes [3.24%])

Percentage of vote: 3.24%

4. PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks (51 votes [3.93%])

Percentage of vote: 3.93%

5. Video (145 votes [11.17%])

Percentage of vote: 11.17%

6. Onboard LAN (Ethernet) (131 votes [10.09%])

Percentage of vote: 10.09%

7. USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse (161 votes [12.40%])

Percentage of vote: 12.40%

8. Firewire (54 votes [4.16%])

Percentage of vote: 4.16%

9. PS/2 keyboard and mouse (42 votes [3.24%])

Percentage of vote: 3.24%

10. Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone (63 votes [4.85%])

Percentage of vote: 4.85%

11. Audio except Front Panel headphones (38 votes [2.93%])

Percentage of vote: 2.93%

12. Audio except Front Panel microphone (27 votes [2.08%])

Percentage of vote: 2.08%

13. Sleep including waking from sleep (24 votes [1.85%])

Percentage of vote: 1.85%

14. PCI NIC (24 votes [1.85%])

Percentage of vote: 1.85%

15. eSATA (20 votes [1.54%])

Percentage of vote: 1.54%

16. Bluetooth (41 votes [3.16%])

Percentage of vote: 3.16%

17. WiFi (38 votes [2.93%])

Percentage of vote: 2.93%

18. Time Machine (53 votes [4.08%])

Percentage of vote: 4.08%

19. Overclocking (35 votes [2.70%])

Percentage of vote: 2.70%

20. Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1 (90 votes [6.93%])

Percentage of vote: 6.93%

Vote Guests cannot vote

ctuprde

ctuprde

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 21 posts
So is the cpus=1 and maxmem=2048 related to the ATA kext im using?

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,596 posts
  • Interests:At home, I have the following computers......
    >
    >
    >

So is the cpus=1 and maxmem=2048 related to the ATA kext im using?

Sort of......

It all relates to the nForce Southbridge chipset.......the Northbridge chipset handles the CPU and RAM and in some cases the PCI-E interfacing and tends to get very hot on some nVidia nForce chipset MOBOs......see here......while the Southbridge MCP chipset controls all the device I/O such as USB, SATA, PATA and Firewire.............the Southbridge is probably also getting hot too.......so cooling the Southbridge would also be a good idea......it is not just PATA/SATA.........Firewire can be problematic.......even USB for some........

So what I am saying is that the problem could be a combination of having a non-Apple PATA/SATA kext, AppleNForceATA.kext, for the nForce Southbridge MCP chipset and it getting very hot when during heavy data transfers........

Even on my 650i MOBO, I have put cooling fans over the Northbridge and Southbridge chipset heatsinks.....the Northbridge chipset has a Scythe Mini-Kase Ultra 40mm Quiet Cooling fan mounted on its finned heatsink to blow air down on it (running full speed).......the Southbridge chipset has a Rasurbo 40mm Quiet Cooling fan (running in Q-Fan mode, with its 4 mounting screws partially screwed into the fan frame to lift if off the flat Southbridge heatsink) mounted on it, to blow air down on the heatsink face .......these two fans are mounted using "blobs" of Butyl rubber adhesive, which exhibits both very good holding power against gravity [but is still removable] and vibration damping behaviour, with a maximum service temperature of 93°C..... ;)

ctuprde

ctuprde

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 21 posts
Right okay, so using maxmem=2048 and cpus=1 reduces the load on these components thus reducing the temperature?

Nothing to do with compatibility of them with OSX / wrong kexts used etc?

I have water cooling on my CPU!!!

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,596 posts
    >
    >
    >

Right okay, so using maxmem=2048 and cpus=1 reduces the load on these components thus reducing the temperature?

Nothing to do with compatibility of them with OSX / wrong kexts used etc?

I have water cooling on my CPU!!!

As I said it is probably a combination of both..........

[1] heavy data transfer >>>> higher Northbridge/Southbridge chipset temperatures and

[2] heavy data transfer >>>> kext coding is not optimised for continuous RAM/CPU interaction as heavy data transfer occurs across the Northbridge/Southbridge chipsets..........?

raze599

raze599

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Hi everyone

I am very much a noob when it comes to this so please bear with me.

I have ordered a retail Snow Leopard disc which should arrive on Monday and I just wanted to ask if I attempt Part B (DSDT editing) after the installation of Snow Leopard? Or do I have to use some sort of virtual machine beforehand?

Thanks guys.

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,596 posts
    >
    >
    >

Hi everyone

I am very much a noob when it comes to this so please bear with me.

I have ordered a retail Snow Leopard disc which should arrive on Monday and I just wanted to ask if I attempt Part B (DSDT editing) after the installation of Snow Leopard? Or do I have to use some sort of virtual machine beforehand?

Thanks guys.

Start by putting your system details in your signature.......

Normally for convenience, you need access to OS X Leopard on your PC to:

1. Generate a RTC patched DSDT.aml file for SL [Part B]

2. Establish OS X target HDD ownership

3. Run EFIStudio or OSx86Tools to generate the graphics string for your graphics card

4. Install Chameleon 2.0 RC4 or RC5 onto your target SL OS X volume and in the process generate a /Extra directory.....

5. Follow PART F if you want to install from a Retail Snow Leopard Mac OS X Install DVD disc to a GPT HDD volume using my nForceSLBoot132DVD......

ctuprde

ctuprde

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 21 posts
Ok, im running SL in 64 bit now, everything seems to work ok, however still using cpus=1 maxmem=2048

Is there any way around this?

Will i be able to upgrade to Lion?

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,596 posts
    >
    >
    >

Ok, im running SL in 64 bit now, everything seems to work ok, however still using cpus=1 maxmem=2048

Is there any way around this?

Will i be able to upgrade to Lion?

If you are running in 64bit mode, remind what happens if you do not boot with cpus=1 maxmem=2048.....

It would be useful to:

[1] know the Chameleon version/revision bootloader you are using

[2] see all kexts in /E/E

[3] know of non-vanilla/Apple kexts (if any) in /S/L/E/

[4] know of any rolled-back Apple kexts in /E/E/ or /S/L/E/

[5] see your Boot.plist file contents in /Extra and in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

[6] see your DSDT.aml file

[7] for you to put your nforce system details in your signature

ctuprde

ctuprde

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 21 posts

If you are running in 64bit mode, remind what happens if you do not boot with cpus=1 maxmem=2048.....

It would be useful to:

[3] know of non-vanilla/Apple kexts (if any) in /S/L/E/

[4] know of any rolled-back Apple kexts in /E/E/ or /S/L/E/

How would i got about doing steps 3 & 4?

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,596 posts
    >
    >
    >

How would i got about doing steps 3 & 4?

Use Kext Wizard 'Loaded' function.....for non-Apple kexts, look for kexts without com.apple. in the listing and for the rolled-back Apple kexts just look at the version number in ( )......

ctuprde

ctuprde

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 21 posts
Attached File  Loaded_Kexts.txt   17.26KB   3 downloads

This shows /Extra contents, and all the kexts loaded using KextWizard loaded function....

[5] see your Boot.plist file contents in /Extra

GraphicsEnabler Yes

Kernel mach_kernel

Kernel Flags -v arch=x86_64 cpus=1 maxmem=2048 npci=0x2000

PciRoot 1

Timeout 5

and in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

Kernel Flags

How do i show you my DSDT?

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,596 posts
    >
    >
    >

Attached File  Loaded_Kexts.txt   17.26KB   3 downloads

This shows /Extra contents, and all the kexts loaded using KextWizard loaded function....

GraphicsEnabler Yes

Kernel mach_kernel

Kernel Flags -v arch=x86_64 cpus=1 maxmem=2048 npci=0x2000

PciRoot 1

Timeout 5

Kernel Flags

How do i show you my DSDT?

Run this great little app by MaLd0n and PM me the output file: Attached File  run_me.zip   66.11KB   1 downloads

To confirm that you are booting in 64bit mode you should type in Terminal:

uname -a
and get as the output:
xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
There should be no reason to use cpus=1 maxmem=2048 if you are using the AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext.....and you should have the following 64bit kexts in /Extra/Extensions/

AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext
EvOreboot.kext
FakeSMC.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (unless you are SpeedStepping)

ctuprde

ctuprde

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 21 posts

Run this great little app by MaLd0n and PM me the output file: Attached File  run_me.zip   66.11KB   1 downloads

To confirm that you are booting in 64bit mode you should type in Terminal:

uname -a
and get as the output:
xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
There should be no reason to use cpus=1 maxmem=2048 if you are using the AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext.....and you should have the following 64bit kexts in /Extra/Extensions/

AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext
EvOreboot.kext
FakeSMC.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (unless you are SpeedStepping)

I am definately in the 64bit kernel, and those four 64bit enabled kexts are in the Extra folder.

When i boot without using maxmem=2048 & cpus=1 the pc locks up.

raze599

raze599

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Hi Verdant, recieved my retail Snow Leopard DVD today. Your NForceSL132 DVD doesnt seem to be working for me. Specs are in my sig. I have made all the BIOS options that I can match the ones from your template.

What happens is after my BIOS boots into the DVD (after the bit with the names and copyright and all the dots), it starts putting out error messages:

EBIOS read error : Error 0x32
Block 0xbb4c Sectors 0

Block 0xbb54 Sectors 0

Block 0xbb50 Sectors 0

Each of these messages come up a good 10 times each before moving onto the next error message. After a while it boots up into Darwin so I can swap the discs. However the background picture is offset to the right of the screen so I can only see a few words of what is written there. Everything else is in the correct position. When I swap the discs I wait a good 30 seconds before selecting Legacy Boot CD. It however doesnt boot and it stops at "system uptime". I have tried both PATA and SATA versions. I burnt both at 4x speed (The lowest my drive does). The same errors occur on both.

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,596 posts
    >
    >
    >

Hi Verdant, recieved my retail Snow Leopard DVD today. Your NForceSL132 DVD doesnt seem to be working for me. Specs are in my sig. I have made all the BIOS options that I can match the ones from your template.

What happens is after my BIOS boots into the DVD (after the bit with the names and copyright and all the dots), it starts putting out error messages:

Block 0xbb4c Sectors 0

Block 0xbb54 Sectors 0

Block 0xbb50 Sectors 0

Each of these messages come up a good 10 times each before moving onto the next error message. After a while it boots up into Darwin so I can swap the discs. However the background picture is offset to the right of the screen so I can only see a few words of what is written there. Everything else is in the correct position. When I swap the discs I wait a good 30 seconds before selecting Legacy Boot CD. It however doesnt boot and it stops at "system uptime". I have tried both PATA and SATA versions. I burnt both at 4x speed (The lowest my drive does). The same errors occur on both.

Did you by any chance burn the two .iso files to CD rather than to a DVD......? EBIOS read errors and an offset background picture to the right with these .iso files are usually the result of not burning to a DVD......

Also remember to follow:

(16) When the custom boot volume theme appears follow the onscreen instructions........namely when the Legacy Boot CD icon appears framed to the left of the display.........remove the nForceSLBoot132DVD from the DVDRW tray.......insert your Retail Snow Leopard Mac OS X Install DVD in the DVDRW tray and close...........wait for the initial DVDRW activity to occur (flashing DVDRW light) for a while to allow the DVD to be recognised......then press F5..........the Mac OS X Install DVD icon should then appear "framed" to the right of the display...

(17) Now type -v (space) -f at the boot: prompt that will appear (as usual with the Chameleon bootloader) in the bottom lefthand corner of the display.......I have asked to you use -v so that you can see what is happening (even though it messes up the friendly green Chameleon desktop) AND YOU MUST PRESS -f too.......

boot: -v -f

raze599

raze599

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Did you by any chance burn the two .iso files to CD rather than to a DVD......? EBIOS read errors and an offset background picture to the right with these .iso files are usually the result of not burning to a DVD......

Also remember to follow:

Nope, definitely a DVD. Verbatim DVD-R. Quite a good brand too.

But lol I forgot about the second bit so will try again now.

EDIT: Did the F5 thing with the boot flags and its currently installing. It worked even with all the EBIOS errors. Good work on making a disc that works even when the computer doesnt lol

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,596 posts
    >
    >
    >

Nope, definitely a DVD. Verbatim DVD-R. Quite a good brand too.

But lol I forgot about the second bit so will try again now.

EDIT: Did the F5 thing with the boot flags and its currently installing. It worked even with all the EBIOS errors. Good work on making a disc that works even when the computer doesnt lol

Thanks..... :D Yours is the first report of I had of EBIOS read errors using a DVD.......glad using -v -f has got your OS X installation underway....... :)

raze599

raze599

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Thanks..... :D Yours is the first report of I had of EBIOS read errors using a DVD.......glad using -v -f has got your OS X installation underway....... :)

Having a bit of a different problem now lol, I'm booting into the hard drive install with -v -f maxmem=2048 and i just get loads of "firewire guid ffffffffffffff is invalid!"

I'll try again this time turning off the firewire from the BIOS and report back.

Edit: works now. Booted into it and all working fine. Apart from sound, graphics, network and maybe a few other things lol. First thing i'll do though is backup. I've never used Firewire anyway so that doesnt bother me ;)

EDIT 2: This is strange. I thought after the last boot the -f flag would have made extensions.mkext cache the new loaded kexts (or does -f do something other than reload kexts?) so this time I tried booting with maxmem=2048 alone and that gave me a "You need to restart" screen. Rebooted and this time used the same flags as the first time (-v -f maxmem=2048) and it worked. Backing up now.

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,596 posts
    >
    >
    >

Having a bit of a different problem now lol, I'm booting into the hard drive install with -v -f maxmem=2048 and i just get loads of "firewire guid ffffffffffffff is invalid!"

I'll try again this time turning off the firewire from the BIOS and report back.

Edit: works now. Booted into it and all working fine. Apart from sound, graphics, network and maybe a few other things lol. First thing i'll do though is backup. I've never used Firewire anyway so that doesnt bother me ;)

EDIT 2: This is strange. I thought after the last boot the -f flag would have made extensions.mkext cache the new loaded kexts (or does -f do something other than reload kexts?) so this time I tried booting with maxmem=2048 alone and that gave me a "You need to restart" screen. Rebooted and this time used the same flags as the first time (-v -f maxmem=2048) and it worked. Backing up now.

The -f flag does not work with Snow Leopard as it did with Leopard......so in Terminal type, as one line:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

BTW I am assuming you will move to OS X Lion and so want OS X Snow Leopard to run in 64bit mode, thus use the following command to create Extensions.mkext for both 32bit and 64bit operation using (again typed on one line):

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

raze599

raze599

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

The -f flag does not work with Snow Leopard as it did with Leopard......so in Terminal type, as one line:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

BTW I am assuming you will move to OS X Lion and so want OS X Snow Leopard to run in 64bit mode, thus use the following command to create Extensions.mkext for both 32bit and 64bit operation using (again typed on one line):

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

Hmmm I'm still having the usb problem with my backups. No mouse or keyboard input. I tried repairing disc permissions but that didn't work. I'll wipe the backup partition and try with carbon copy cloner this time. Don't want to attempt any terminal commands on my working partition at the moment lol. I am sure that most peoples backups work properly so is there something I'm doing wrong? Is there a better, more reliable way of backing up?

Edit: using ccc I'm backing up to my "backup" partition now. This first one was a small vanilla partition. I think the problem might have been because I was copying to my main partition which had the "backup" in between it and vanilla

Edit: thank God the backup worked now lol. Will backup again to my main partition (i know I'm probably being overly cautious lol) and get to work with those terminal commands after I install a bootloader. I've been booting off my iatkos dvd chameleon all this time lol

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nForce chipset + Intel CPU, nForce 650i and 680i chipset, nForce 750i and 780i chipset, nForce 790i and 790i Ultra, Possibly nForce 630i chipset

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy