965P-DS4 Success with Retail 10.6 - 64 Bit

134 posts in this topic

Parker,

I read somewhere that with 10.6, Apple is trying to kill of IDE support. So it's probably best to let go of this legacy format for the best compatibility. That's the reason why it's gonna be harder to get IDE supported properly with 10.6 even though 10.5 Leopard was working ok with it.

-Daryoon

Just want to report that it was easy to get Snow Leopard installed from scratch via USB boot on a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 rev 3.3 with F13 bios.

The number one thing that I think is hindering a lot of people is getting a proper DSDT file built. IMHO, this is the way to go as you won't need hack kext or unwieldy EFI injection strings. DSDT are custom to each motherboard/graphics card combo and I have heard that it's even specific to the version of BIOS you are running on the motherboard.

So unless all three of those elements matches, be careful of using other's compiled DSDT files as it may lead to system instability. The "generic" one that Innerz made available, he pulled his graphics specific portion out so it should help those who are using the same motherboard and BIOS version. But again, I suggest you go through and create your own DSDT file with the fixes that Innerz outline:

Network card + Time Machine Fix (DSDT)

Sound (DSDT)

Reset BIOS Fix

UHCI/EHCI (Wake After Sleep Fix)

Lastly, just something I discovered is that all the Kext proceeded by "legacy" are known as dummy kext. Meaning, it's not a binary kext...but simply a container that contains a text .plist. What this does is allow you to keep the binary vanilla kext in the S/L/E and then the dummy kext loaded in /Extra/Extension will map your hardware's device ID to the correct apple Kext file in S/L/E.

This is a huge deal in that each time there is a new version of OSX, you don't have worry about potentially reusing an old patched binary kext from a previous OSX version. Here's a link for more info: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...29279&st=40

So, the custom DSDT and the dummy kext is the best way to a vanilla install of Snow Leopard.

My hackintosh is running nice and can go to deep sleep, wake, reboot, shutdown and my onboard ACL888 sound works great. I have one analog port connect to a pair of headphones and the digital coax out to my 5.1 system. I switch between the two on the fly with a free app from Rouge Amoeba call Sound Source.

-Daryoon

That was very helpful indeed. Thanks Daryoon. Do you have any tips on how to inject the GFX card info in the DSDT? I ask since I am running into EFI strings injection problem with Chameleon RC3.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

thanks a lot for your tips. My snow kittie is running fine EXCEPT the AHCI Ports. For some unknown reason the stall if I copy large files. Then the Finder gets stuck and it takes about 20 seconds to come back. Copying is choppy. Don´t have any ideas left, tried all sorts of stuff. Did you experience similar problems on your boards?

P.S: Is your AHCI Port listed as IDE1@1F,2 in the IORegistryExplorer? Mine is though all BIOS Settings are AHCI.

Thanks!

Matthias

hey there,thanks for the response. I tried with both kext´s, it works the same without any of these (apart from orange icons of course). It´s really strange as my Leopard installation works great, allthough i remember having those problems once during an older installation. I´ll try to reinstall snow now once again to see if the problem remains. I´ll report later, thanks...

hm damn, still the same problem. I even tried hooking the SL Drive to SATA0 (like some guy posted on his blog) but that doesn´t solve the problem either. I noticed that in my DSDT there is no (SATA) defined, is there supposed to be one?

If yes, could you please share? BTW my Board Revision is 1 (kinda old hm :)

Thanks & Greetings

Hello,

great tutorial !

I did install SL 10.6.0 from retail DVD using my 2nd partition running Leopard 10.5.8 Server.

All went fine ! GFX hex strings used, LAN = OK.

Did the small 10.6.1 update = OK.

Sound no... I have "7.1 Audio (ALC889A)"

System Profiler shows:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Geräte-ID: 0x1458A022

Audio-ID: 883

Verfügbare Geräte:

Line-Out:

Verbindung: 1/8 Zoll-Buchse

Externes Mikrofon:

Externes Mikrofon:

Kopfhörer:

S/P-DIF-Ausgang:

Verbindung: Combo

S/P-DIF-Eingang:

Verbindung: Combo

any help ?

post-55980-1254665223_thumb.jpg

Edit:

Got it working, patched DSDT with HDEF strings from another member. Have now coax digital out (just stereo) - working and I'm happy to hear sound :P .

Here a "generic" archive for the motherboard GA-965P-DS4 (rev.2 & rev.3.3)

Changes/Add from previous archive:

- Remove unnecessary kexts

- a compiled DSDT.aml with:

• Marvell 8056 + Time Machine Fix (DSDT)
  • ALC888 (DSDT)
  • Reset BIOS Fix
  • UHCI/EHCI (Wake After Sleep Fix)
  • No GFX you have to add gfx string in com.apple.Boot.plist or use a .kext

965pds4.jpg

965p_ds4_Extra.zip

Enjoy ! :)

Innerz, are you sure there is no GFX information in this DSDT.aml?

I´ve used your archive with Chameleon and I always get an GeForce 8800GTS, 320MB at PCI-Bus in System Profiler what seems to be your graphic adapter. In com.apple.Boot.plist I pasted the EFI-String for my 7600GT. The rest of the system runs great but I don´t have a chance to get QE working cause of the graphic adapter at PCI.

Tim, would you be so kind and upload your DSDT.aml?

Our systems seem to be exactly the same:

965P-DS4 rev. 3.3

C2D E6600

MSI 7600GT

4 GB DDR2-800

Innerz, are you sure there is no GFX information in this DSDT.aml?

I´ve used your archive with Chameleon and I always get an GeForce 8800GTS, 320MB at PCI-Bus in System Profiler what seems to be your graphic adapter. In com.apple.Boot.plist I pasted the EFI-String for my 7600GT. The rest of the system runs great but I don´t have a chance to get QE working cause of the graphic adapter at PCI.

Tim, would you be so kind and upload your DSDT.aml?

Our systems seem to be exactly the same:

965P-DS4 rev. 3.3

C2D E6600

MSI 7600GT

4 GB DDR2-800

Can anybody help me? Please.

• 3 weeks later...

My two problems solved:

1. ALC888 need re-install VoodooHDA.kext by kext helper

2. BIOS/CMOS reset error need editing (RTC) value from 04 to 02 by DSDT Patcher

Remaining one last problem:(Partially Solved too !)

1. Jmicron SATA AHCI mode is working, but IDE mode is failed inspite of JmicronATA.kext and AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext are loaded in /System/Library/Extensions

2. Got a special JMicronATA.kext (attached) which enables IDE port in 64 bit Snow Leopard only.

JMicronATA.kext.zip

Hey Guys,

thanks a lot for your tips. My snow kittie is running fine EXCEPT the AHCI Ports. For some unknown reason the stall if I copy large files. Then the Finder gets stuck and it takes about 20 seconds to come back. Copying is choppy. Don´t have any ideas left, tried all sorts of stuff. Did you experience similar problems on your boards?

P.S: Is your AHCI Port listed as IDE1@1F,2 in the IORegistryExplorer? Mine is though all BIOS Settings are AHCI.

Thanks!

Matthias

Try this IOATAFAMILY with your JMICRON.kext and see if it helps

It fixed my AHCI issues and got all purple / orange ports work great.

get the 10.5.8 kext from this thread that -Dune- made.

check the thread here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=88335

Put it into your extras folder or better yet S/L/E and you should be fine.

All ports work now with this kext even with both AHCI settings enabled in the bios.

Try this IOATAFAMILY with your JMICRON.kext and see if it helps

It fixed my AHCI issues and got all purple / orange ports work great.

get the 10.5.8 kext from this thread that -Dune- made.

check the thread here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=88335

Put it into your extras folder or better yet S/L/E and you should be fine.

All ports work now with this kext even with both AHCI settings enabled in the bios.

Hey there, thanks for the tip. Unfortunately it´s not working, SATA AHCI Problems remain the same and Waiting for Root Device in IDE Mode.

kann someone please show me an IOREG screengrab from their SATA Devices? Can´t figure it out!

Thanks!

EDIT; FYI: I just want to use mi ICH8 in AHCI, my Jmicron is disabled anyway.

Hi guys. I just wanna say thank you for sharing all this info with the comunity. With your comments, and a bit of patience, i've managed to set up my system with snow leopard.

I just copied the kext and dsdt that Innerz posted. Only change made was on the dsdt file, changing the graphics card info with the info i got from my system in wXP.

The only hardware not working is the jmicron controller, so no IDE peripherals. In some point, trying differents kext the ports showed up on the serial ata devices but still not working.

And a really quick question. How do i boot with 64bits kernel?

I have this flag on the boot.plist

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>

thank you

Innerz,

Could you possibly create a 9800GT 512MB DSDT.aml file for me? Or could you point out how to completely remove the GFX info from your DSDT.aml so that I can try an EFI String? (since it appears the info were still there: I modified mine just for the extra ram and the name)

You DSDT is perfect on a Gigabyte 965p-ds3p too but I am experiencing a problem with some OpenGL buffer: for example, even though Chess works perfectly, I can't watch a vido with VLC since the frame would just be black.

Thank you in advance for your help

Update:

Chess working fine is not a sign that QE and CI are working. As reported by Cinebench and by Front Row not displaying anything, acceleration wasn't enabled.

After a couple of trials, I was able to remove the GFX part from your DSDT file and add my video card with EFI strings. It now works with acceleration enabled but, because there needs to be a but:

- I would prefer having a DSDT entry for my gfx card if possible

- If the displays are switched off (by the power saving settings) AND the computer doesn't go into sleep mode, when they switch back on all I get is "noise". Usually, one fixes itself almost immediately (a matter of a couple of seconds top) but the second one stays all garbled, no matter what I do.

To fix it though I can put the computer into sleep and awaken it straight afterwards: then both screens are back to normal.

I am working on a GA-965P-DS3P rev 3.3, Q6600 overclocked at 3.2GHz, 8GB Ram and a Zotac 9800GT 512MB Dual DVI, 2 monitors

I hope I was clear enough in trying to explain my problem.

@ila81 Hopefully, you will have no problem.

This time for sure (i've double check), there is no GFX injection in the DSDT.aml.

"Generic" archive for the motherboard GA-965P-DS4 (rev.2 & rev.3.3)

Changes/Add from previous archive:

- a compiled DSDT.aml with:

• Marvell 8056 + Time Machine Fix (DSDT)
  • ALC888 (DSDT)
  • Reset BIOS Fix
  • UHCI/EHCI (Wake After Sleep Fix)
  • Wake from Sleep with USB.1.1 Keyboard & Mouse
  • Don't forget either to add your UUID in com.apple.Boot.plist and in the "info.plist" of "PlatformUUID.kext"

16470_965pds4extra.jpg

965P_DS4_Extra.zip

You can also try the "DSDT.aml" in the "speedstep" folder, so you can get rid of "NullCPUPowerManagement.kext" and "SleepEnabler.kext" (work in progress, there's still some issues)

Enjoy ! :D

• Don't forget either to add your UUID in com.apple.Boot.plist and in the "info.plist" of "PlatformUUID.kext"

How to add key/string in com.apple.Boot.plist for Graphic and UUID?

@innerz: thank you for all your help in giving me a very good launched start.

I am now slowly learning all I can about my motherboard and DSDT programming to be able to tailor it to my GA-965P-DS3P v3.3.

One thing I noticed is that the integrated ethernet card wasn't working (having a working wifi hide this from me for a while :D ).

This is most probably due to the fact that in your DSDT the lan card is addressed and setup as Device(LAN) and in an old DSDT of mine which was working on Leopard instead as Device(GIGE)

I am making the modifications now and try later on at home.

One another side, I have my apple keyboard connected to a USB port on the back of my motherboard and the mouse to the apple keyboard HUB and when the computer goes into sleep I can awake it just by pressing the power button (not by moving the mouse and/or pressing a button): do you experience the same behavior? I would like to get sleep and vanilla speedstepping perfectly enabled on my board :D

One thing I noticed is that the integrated ethernet card wasn't working (having a working wifi hide this from me for a while smile.gif ).

This is most probably due to the fact that in your DSDT the lan card is addressed and setup as Device(LAN) and in an old DSDT of mine which was working on Leopard instead as Device(GIGE)

If your DSDT.aml is not working, i can compil one for you, just give me the adress of your network card.

For example (mine PEX4):

16630_ioreg.jpg

One another side, I have my apple keyboard connected to a USB port on the back of my motherboard and the mouse to the apple keyboard HUB and when the computer goes into sleep I can awake it just by pressing the power button (not by moving the mouse and/or pressing a button): do you experience the same behavior?

Yes, i am :D . But if your mouse and keyboard are in USB 1.1, there's a fix, you should read this thead : UHCI/EHCI Built in with dsdt fix

Hello, thanks for your help :(

Ok, I got the card working at the end: first with my modified version of the DSDT and then also with yours...so: that's not a problem anymore. :)

I am now working toward adding a DSDT fix for my video card and I think I am there...trying now a new version..so finger crossed.

With regards to the USB problem: the ports are showing up as built-in..both UHCI and EHCI. Is that what you meant?

sorry, maybe I am being just thick but I cant see the fixes you are referring to in the thread you pointed out..and i just finished re-reading it from top to bottom :P

They talk about the fact that their USB controllers where recognized as "extensions" and the DSDT patches made them being recognized as "integrated": for someone, this also fixed the issue of not being able to wake up the computer from sleep by mouse and/or keyboard.

In my case, both EHCI and UHCI are already recognized as built in but I still dont get wake by mouse and/or keyboard

By the way, my keyboard is the old apple one and it is recognized as USB 1.1

On another side: have you got any idea why a GFX DSDT entry which works on a DSDT.aml if copied and pasted onto your DSDT.aml without graphic section stops working correctly? And by this I mean that at time I lose one of the screens (dual dvi) and QE/CI...

Thanks again for the patience