 - P5W DH Deluxe - [SUCCESS]

rsilves

185 posts in this topic

Alright Tommy, you're getting close to being my hero, but not there yet. I started fresh and just ran through your last post/process and I'm not getting the error any more during boot. It's not actually booting, but I figure something is better than nothing. Here's where it stops:

any ideas?

farski, from what i have read several document, it seems that you might want to review your DSDT patching.

the "using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers" is the reason leaded us to patch DSDT in the first place.

Tommy

Thanks farski

I followed Tommy's guide and I got this KP.

Same with -v -x32 or -v -s -x32.

:wacko:

Rodrigo

(I used leopard's partition UUID)

Rodrigo,

I'm not sure about that KP, i never see anything like that with my installation.

the KP is at "Unable to find driver for this platform ACPI", you might wanna do some searching on that.

You should notice that there's several error regarding failing to load kexts.

Did you check my BIOS settings on my previous post to see if it could help you in any way?

Tommy

Tommy,

You say "put your dsdt file, com.apple.Boot.plist and smbios.plist in /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/". I know I have to use my own dsdt.aml file, but do I also have to modify the com.apple.Boot.plist and smbios.plist?

I know I have to check that the UUIDs match between PlatformUUID.kext and smbios.plist... anything else?

Thanks,

Rodrigo

>> They are "extensions", not "extentions", right?

Rodrigo,

it's your choice to modify boot.plist and smbios.plist, i would recommend edit yours to match your need.

my bad on the typo, yeah it should be "extensions".

Tommy

I upgraded BIOS to 2801 bios and used Tommy's DSDT.aml (just in case there was something bad in my process).

Tommy, you say in post #34 that your bios is configured this way:

----------

IDE Configuration:

- Configure SATA As = AHCI

- Onboard IDE Operate Mode = Enhanced Mode

- ALPE and ASP = Enabled

- IDE Detect Time Out = 10

----------

I find that if I put Configure Sata As AHCI, Onboard IDE Operate Mode disappears. It appears only if I select Configure SATA As Standard IDE.

I don't have any IDE device connected, can that be related?

----

If I try booting with -v -x32 it gives the last KP I posted,

-v same KP

-x -v advances a bit more and gets stuck in AppleYukon2 soft reset thing.

-x -v -x32 AppleYukon2 thing.

-x -v -s hangs as soon as it shows the command line.

-x -v -s -x32 Root arrives but it is written with AppleYukon2: Marvell Yukon Gigabit ..bla bla. So, AppleYukon2 thing.

Will research on that KP now..

Thanks,

Rodrigo

EDIT:

Tommy, don't you think this can be related to the files added in Chameleon bootloader? (kexts, smbios, etc) Maybe different versions or something? Do you think there can be anything in smbios.plist that might be causing the panic?

If you do, please send me or tell me where you got your files and I will try that.

Can you tell me your BIOS settings in the Power tab? There are some items about ACPI on there, can it be related?

Thank you,

Rodrigo

I was having same problems with SL hanging during boot. After 4 days of searching and reading everyones solutions I finally came across one obscure post that said when using many ATI video cards (mine is Sapphire HD 3870) all of the ATI****.kext files had to be removed from /S/L/E in order to boot. I could then boot, setup user etc. Resolution is set at 1280X1024, no other options. I can only hope someone will come up with a solution soon. For now I can at least familiarize myself with the features. And yes SL is much faster than Leopard even with limited video support.

Update: Actually I didn't have to remove all the ATI kexts, only ATIRadeonX2000.kext and ATI3800Controller.kext.

Depending on your model will determine which kexts get removed. If your card is the 4870 then you would remove the ATIRadeonX2000.kext and ATI4800Controller.kext. Better ATI support should be here soon.

I upgraded BIOS to 2801 bios and used Tommy's DSDT.aml (just in case there was something bad in my process).

Tommy, you say in post #34 that your bios is configured this way:

----------

IDE Configuration:

- Configure SATA As = AHCI

- Onboard IDE Operate Mode = Enhanced Mode

- ALPE and ASP = Enabled

- IDE Detect Time Out = 10

----------

I find that if I put Configure Sata As AHCI, Onboard IDE Operate Mode disappears. It appears only if I select Configure SATA As Standard IDE.

I don't have any IDE device connected, can that be related?

----

If I try booting with -v -x32 it gives the last KP I posted,

-v same KP

-x -v advances a bit more and gets stuck in AppleYukon2 soft reset thing.

-x -v -x32 AppleYukon2 thing.

-x -v -s hangs as soon as it shows the command line.

-x -v -s -x32 Root arrives but it is written with AppleYukon2: Marvell Yukon Gigabit ..bla bla. So, AppleYukon2 thing.

Will research on that KP now..

Thanks,

Rodrigo

EDIT:

Tommy, don't you think this can be related to the files added in Chameleon bootloader? (kexts, smbios, etc) Maybe different versions or something? Do you think there can be anything in smbios.plist that might be causing the panic?

If you do, please send me or tell me where you got your files and I will try that.

Can you tell me your BIOS settings in the Power tab? There are some items about ACPI on there, can it be related?

Thank you,

Rodrigo

Rodrigo,

Regarding Onboard IDE Operate Mode, i think you are correct. That option is not available when ACHI is selected.

Regarding Power tab in BIOS, all i changed is to enable ACPI 2.0 support.

I will attached all the files in my EFI partition (should be your Chameleon partition if you followed my guide).

Please keep in mind that i have EFI String for my video and Ethernet in my com.apple.Boot.plist, so you might wanna remove them before you use.

Another thing is make sure you edit smbios.plist and PlatformUUID.kext/Contents/Info.plist and replace with your UUID for your SL partition.

Hope this would help you in any way.

Tommy

efi.tar.gz

Success! Well, pretty much. I'm in 10.6 right now, so things are definitely coming together. The only difference between now and last time (the headers error) is I patched the DSDT with that 'new ht something something' option checked. Ethernet (on my generic PCI card, don't know about on-board) works out of the box, and I get full 1680x1050 on one monitor out of the box, second monitor isn't even recognized. No sound at all. Not surprising since I didn't patch those into the DSDT or use any EFI strings, but this is obviously much better than things had been going.

I'm gonna start getting sound/video to work and seeing how sleep/shutdown go, and once I get stuff figured out I'll post my final solution.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Update: GFX EFI strings worked, so one more issue solved. VoodooHDA did NOT solve give me any audio (ALC883) so have to look for some other options there. Shutdown works as well as it did in 10.5 (everything stops except the system fans) and sleep seems to go to sleep and not wake up (even after adding openhaltrestart, before that it didn't even go to sleep). Lots of things, like time machine, etc, still completely untested. I added blockstorageinj and it fixed my icons, so that's nice.

One last thing I noticed is that the login screen always says I'm in "Safe Boot" mode, even though I'm not trying to be. What causes that?

Success! Well, pretty much. I'm in 10.6 right now, so things are definitely coming together. The only difference between now and last time (the headers error) is I patched the DSDT with that 'new ht something something' option checked. Ethernet (on my generic PCI card, don't know about on-board) works out of the box, and I get full 1680x1050 on one monitor out of the box, second monitor isn't even recognized. No sound at all. Not surprising since I didn't patch those into the DSDT or use any EFI strings, but this is obviously much better than things had been going.

I'm gonna start getting sound/video to work and seeing how sleep/shutdown go, and once I get stuff figured out I'll post my final solution.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Update: GFX EFI strings worked, so one more issue solved. VoodooHDA did NOT solve give me any audio (ALC883) so have to look for some other options there. Shutdown works as well as it did in 10.5 (everything stops except the system fans) and sleep seems to go to sleep and not wake up (even after adding openhaltrestart, before that it didn't even go to sleep). Lots of things, like time machine, etc, still completely untested. I added blockstorageinj and it fixed my icons, so that's nice.

One last thing I noticed is that the login screen always says I'm in "Safe Boot" mode, even though I'm not trying to be. What causes that?

Hey Farski been following your posts all weekend. I've been getting the same errors as you have and I have the same board (P5K Pro). Can't wait for you to post your final solution especially on patching DSDT. I've used DSDT patcher and EFI Studio to no avail. I don't want to just copy someone else's DSDT.aml for sake that it might not work with my board but since you have a P5K Pro, that might be the way to go. Thanks Farski and can't wait for your final solution, I'm sure several other P5 mobo's will benefit too! Thanks to Tommy too!

Did you have IOAudioFamily.kext and OSvKernDSPLib.kext (from S/L/E) in the same folder? VoodooHDA depends on these two files to work.

I didn't have IOAudio/OSvKern in /E/E, I'll try that tomorrow. I started running into some seemingly random USB/FireWire interface errors tonight. Not sure what that was all about.

If I go down to just fakesms and UUID in /E/E, after an initial boot+kextcache I can load 10.6 in both 32 and 64bit. I didn't really find any good leads on audio (until now) so I had just been testing out various other kexts people were using in their builds, and most ended badly. Seems like for me 10.6 is a lot more finicky than 10.5 was, which had almost no problems with anything I did.

Also, my internet in 10.6 seems to run VERY slowly, like maxed out around 20k/s. It's fine once I'm back in 10.5, but that's certainly not going to cut it for full-time use, so may need to start looking at network fixes, too.

I didn't have IOAudio/OSvKern in /E/E, I'll try that tomorrow. I started running into some seemingly random USB/FireWire interface errors tonight. Not sure what that was all about.

If I go down to just fakesms and UUID in /E/E, after an initial boot+kextcache I can load 10.6 in both 32 and 64bit. I didn't really find any good leads on audio (until now) so I had just been testing out various other kexts people were using in their builds, and most ended badly. Seems like for me 10.6 is a lot more finicky than 10.5 was, which had almost no problems with anything I did.

Also, my internet in 10.6 seems to run VERY slowly, like maxed out around 20k/s. It's fine once I'm back in 10.5, but that's certainly not going to cut it for full-time use, so may need to start looking at network fixes, too.

Farski,

check my SIG, i put mine in /S/L/E not /E/E .

once done, run kextcache like usual and you should be good to go.

Tommy

I was having same problems with SL hanging during boot. After 4 days of searching and reading everyones solutions I finally came across one obscure post that said when using many ATI video cards (mine is Sapphire HD 3870) all of the ATI****.kext files had to be removed from /S/L/E in order to boot. I could then boot, setup user etc. Resolution is set at 1280X1024, no other options. I can only hope someone will come up with a solution soon. For now I can at least familiarize myself with the features. And yes SL is much faster than Leopard even with limited video support.

Update: Actually I didn't have to remove all the ATI kexts, only ATIRadeonX2000.kext and ATI3800Controller.kext.

Depending on your model will determine which kexts get removed. If your card is the 4870 then you would remove the ATIRadeonX2000.kext and ATI4800Controller.kext. Better ATI support should be here soon.

tbar:

I tried deleting ATIRadeonX2000.kext and ATI4800Controller.kext and restarted. Same KP. Then tried deleting all ATI*.kext and the same happens.

I tried only -v -x32.

Are you running 32 or 64 bits?

I followed Tommy's guide in post #44, Any recommendations or changes to do?

Thanks,

Rodrigo

EDIT:

Started trying boot flag combinations:

-v -x -x32 with SL drive connected to JMicron controller - KP (attached pic)

Next with SL drive to main controller:

-x -v boots safe mode, KP when opening Display in Sys Prefs (while waiting for kext utility to download).

-v -x32 ACPI KP

-v ACPI KP

-x -v -x32 boots

-x -x32 boots, ran kext utility

Could restart with no problems (-x -x32).

"Shutdown" made it restart without the possibility of force poweroff by keeping the power button pressed. Resetted 3 times with same problem, unplugged power cable, and now have the st*pid flashing LED on mobo. F**K Asus. :) (and I say this while writing in an ASUS Eee PC...). :D

Most of the testing before was done with SL drive connected to JMicron controller while Leopard drive in standard (I think it is ICH7R). (Anyway I did test sometimes connecting the drive to the main SATA controller and disabling JMicron to check that was not the problem).

Could also boot SL with Leopard drive connected to JMicron and it was recognized and mounted. This happened once, next time it showed the attached KP.

When connected to JMicron controller,-x -x32 gives KP.

Will keep trying and report.

Thanks

Rodrigo

EDIT 2 - MAGIC

I had removed ATIRadeonX2000.kext and ATI4800Controller.kext after tbar's post #55. Putting them back and adding ATY_Init.kext, I got DUAL DVI with EXTENDED DESKTOP.

This means that if you never removed any ATI kext, you should just add ATY_Init.kext

XBench results are 209 for Quartz Graphics and 88 for OpenGL, the last one being slower than ever, which I think might be related to being in safe mode?

Anyway, it's a good start for the first graphics driver attempt.

Just in case, it is an Ati Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 1GB with Dual DVI and a component out (like s-video) in the middle.

Take into account that this doesn't mean that every HD 4870 would work this way.

Netkas told me that there were some Sapphire 4870s not working with this kext in 10.5.7, and mine worked.

This is the same kext I used for 10.5.7.

Resolution change works.

Questions:

1. Why would I not put a kext in /E/E/ and put it in /S/L/E? Like with VoodooHDA?

2. Can I put ATY_Init.kext in /E/E/? It is now in /S/L/E/.

3. How do I fix the icons thing in the desktop? SnowLeopard doesn't appear, and loaded DMGs appear with a folder icon.

4. Is it normal that Spotlight doesn't work in safe mode?

5. I'm still needing safe mode to boot. Any news about the ACPI KP?

Thanks a lot.

Rodrigo

EDIT 3

Replaced JMicronATA with the one on post #3 in this topic.

Now I can boot with SL drive in JMicron controller with Leopard drive in the main one. I think this makes the attached KP disappear.

Rodrigo

post-171324-1251785135_thumb.jpg

tbar:

I tried deleting ATIRadeonX2000.kext and ATI4800Controller.kext and restarted. Same KP. Then tried deleting all ATI*.kext and the same happens.

I tried only -v -x32.

Are you running 32 or 64 bits?

I followed Tommy's guide in post #44, Any recommendations or changes to do?

Thanks,

Rodrigo

EDIT:

Started trying boot flag combinations:

-v -x -x32 with SL drive connected to JMicron controller - KP (attached pic)

Next with SL drive to main controller:

-x -v boots safe mode, KP when opening Display in Sys Prefs (while waiting for kext utility to download).

-v -x32 ACPI KP

-v ACPI KP

-x -v -x32 boots

-x -x32 boots, ran kext utility

Could restart with no problems (-x -x32).

"Shutdown" made it restart without the possibility of force poweroff by keeping the power button pressed. Resetted 3 times with same problem, unplugged power cable, and now have the st*pid flashing LED on mobo. F**K Asus. ;) (and I say this while writing in an ASUS Eee PC...). :)

Most of the testing before was done with SL drive connected to JMicron controller while Leopard drive in standard (I think it is ICH7R). (Anyway I did test sometimes connecting the drive to the main SATA controller and disabling JMicron to check that was not the problem).

Could also boot SL with Leopard drive connected to JMicron and it was recognized and mounted. This happened once, next time it showed the attached KP.

When connected to JMicron controller,-x -x32 gives KP.

Will keep trying and report.

Thanks

Rodrigo

EDIT 2 - MAGIC

I had removed ATIRadeonX2000.kext and ATI4800Controller.kext after tbar's post #55. Putting them back and adding ATY_Init.kext, I got DUAL DVI with EXTENDED DESKTOP.

This means that if you never removed any ATI kext, you should just add ATY_Init.kext

XBench results are 209 for Quartz Graphics and 88 for OpenGL, the last one being slower than ever, which I think might be related to being in safe mode?

Anyway, it's a good start for the first graphics driver attempt.

Just in case, it is an Ati Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 1GB with Dual DVI and a component out (like s-video) in the middle.

Take into account that this doesn't mean that every HD 4870 would work this way.

Netkas told me that there were some Sapphire 4870s not working with this kext in 10.5.7, and mine worked.

This is the same kext I used for 10.5.7.

Resolution change works.

Questions:

1. Why would I not put a kext in /E/E/ and put it in /S/L/E? Like with VoodooHDA?

3. How do I fix the icons thing in the desktop? SnowLeopard doesn't appear, and loaded DMGs appear with a folder icon.

Thanks a lot.

Rodrigo

EDIT 3

Replaced JMicronATA with the one on post #3 in this topic.

Now I can boot with SL drive in JMicron controller with Leopard drive in the main one. I think this makes the attached KP disappear.

Rodrigo

Glad to hear you're making progress! I boot SL from a USB stick via Chameleon-2.0-r431 and put all of my kexts in the /E/E folder to avoid the confusion of mixing them with all the other kexts in /S/L/E. I'm currently running in 32 bit because some of the apps I use don't like running in 64 bit. Here's a list of the kexts I have loaded in the /E/E folder of my USB boot stick:

AHCIPortInjector.kext

AppleRTC.kext

ATAPortInjector.kext

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

IOAudioFamily.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

OSvKernDSPLib.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

Sleepenabler.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

And here's the line I added to the kernel flags string in com.apple.Boot.plist located in the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder to boot in 32 bit rather than the default 64 bit. Change highlighted in BLUE. If you use Chameleon to boot with using the -x32 switch won't work. Check the Software heading in "About this Mac" "More Info" to see if you're using 64 bit Kernel and Extensions or not. If "No" then you're 32 bit.

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280x1024x32</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>[color="#0000FF"]-x32 boot-uuid=BCA03D4B-F4A5-387A-B80F-B793D2115741[/color]</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>device-properties</key>

You'll need to replace my SL HD's UUID with your own. And don't forget to add your SL boot drives UUID to the Info.plist file located in the PlatformUUID.kext folder. I use PlistEdit Pro as the editor. Here's the change I made. In BLUE.

<key>Add Platform UUID</key>
	<dict>
		<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
		<string>com.superhai.driver.PlatformUUID</string>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<string>PlatformUUID</string>
		<key>IOMatchCategory</key>
		<string>PlatformUUID</string>
		<key>IOProviderClass</key>
		<string>IOResources</string>
		<key>IOResourceMatch</key>
		<string>IOKit</string>
		<key>PlatformUUID</key>
		<string>[color="#0000FF"]BCA03D4B-F4A5-387A-B80F-B793D2115741[/color]</string>
	</dict>

Again, substitute your SL Drives UUID in place of mine.

Don't forget to repair permissions after you make any changes with either the kext utility tool or diskutility.

Hope this answers some of your questions and helps more than confuses the issue.

attached is a new issue I seem to be dealing with increasingly. However, I have a couple dumb questions. First, I have lots of issues with kextcache, it seems like most of the time it fails; Kext Utility also. How will not having the caches affect stuff? Doesn't the OS cache all the kexts it needs if there is no pre-existing cache? (i.e. why do all the caching immediately after the install?) I realized it's pretty late in the game to just be asking that now..

Also, just to make sure I knew exactly what I was doing step-by-step for when I am ready to do my final install, I started from scratch this morning. After I install and do the basic SMBIOS/Boot.plist/DSDT stuff, I can boot into safe mode, and like I've mentioned previously, have full video, LAN, etc. But even with just UUID and fakesmc, I start getting panic-y. What is the difference between safe mode and regular boot, other than those to .kexts? Or could they be causing some problems? (I have booted into 10.6 in regular mode, but I've also had panics with just those two kexts; I'm guessing this is just user error on my end, maybe having to do with my ineptitude when it comes to caching)

tbar,

Could you please post your kexts? I am a bit frightened with the possibility of using different versions of kexts :D

What about ATY_Init.kext? Do you know if I can put it in /E/E or if I need to add other ATI kexts from /S/L/E? (like what happens with VoodooHDA).

And what about JMicronATA.kext? There is an original version in /S/L/E which I replaced by a modified version. What happens if I put the original back in /S/L/E and move the working version to /E/E? Does it automatically discard loading the one in /S/L/E?

Rodrigo

UPDATE: JMicronATA.kext does not fix the pmap KP as I said in post #63 EDIT 3.

It just sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

Rodrigo

Questions: (from post 63)

tbar,

Could you please post your kexts? I am a bit frightened with the possibility of using different versions of kexts :P

What about ATY_Init.kext? Do you know if I can put it in /E/E or if I need to add other ATI kexts from /S/L/E? (like what happens with VoodooHDA).

And what about JMicronATA.kext? There is an original version in /S/L/E which I replaced by a modified version. What happens if I put the original back in /S/L/E and move the working version to /E/E? Does it automatically discard loading the one in /S/L/E?

Rodrigo

UPDATE: JMicronATA.kext does not fix the pmap KP as I said in post #63 EDIT 3.

It just sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

Rodrigo

Questions: (from post 63)

Most of the kexts I'm currently using came from Stell's Blog (Do a search) they were all current as far as I can tell and 64 bit. For other tools such as kext utility, DSDT patcher, UInstaller etc. just do a search on this board or google.

There should be no problem with putting kexts in the /E/E/ folder as long as they have any required dependents with them, such as with VooDooHDA.

My understanding is the main reason for putting kexts in the /E/E/ folder is to prevent them from being overwritten during updates.

I believe the IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext will fix your drive icon problem.

Take a look at this thread also.http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181209

Boot Panic 32 bit safe mode

As far as the Jmicron issue I have the controller disabled in the BIOS. :)

Hope you're making progress!

Hey guys, before I start working on this, is it worth it?

Can you tell much difference between 10.6 and 10.5.8?

Thanks,

t

Most of the kexts I'm currently using came from Stell's Blog (Do a search) they were all current as far as I can tell and 64 bit. For other tools such as kext utility, DSDT patcher, UInstaller etc. just do a search on this board or google.

There should be no problem with putting kexts in the /E/E/ folder as long as they have any required dependents with them, such as with VooDooHDA.

My understanding is the main reason for putting kexts in the /E/E/ folder is to prevent them from being overwritten during updates.

I believe the IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext will fix your drive icon problem.

Take a look at this thread also.http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181209

Boot Panic 32 bit safe mode

As far as the Jmicron issue I have the controller disabled in the BIOS. :D

Hope you're making progress!

Hey guys, before I start working on this, is it worth it?

Can you tell much difference between 10.6 and 10.5.8?

Thanks,

t

Big question... "Is it worth it?"

Depends on what you do.

Good things of SnowLeopard are mainly about the way it handles big amounts of processing (from my point of view), for example for video rendering using 4 cores. It doesn't have many visual or practical improvements, just some changes in Expose and things you can see in Apple's website.

It also has the possibility of running totally in 64 bits, which also might be good or not depending on what you do. Anyway, that is not so easy now.

If you use your Mac for internet and photos and office, wait until a good guide is available for your hardware, unless you love testing things and troubleshooting.

Luck,

Rodrigo

---

Questions:

JMicronATA.kext: I deleted (and backedup) the original from /S/L/E and copied the new one in /E/E. What happens if I put the original one back in place?

- No one knows?

- It will try to load both?

- KP?

- It will load the one in /E/E and not the one in /S/L/E because it is intelligent?

What's the secret to make audio work?

I have VoodooHDA.kext, IOAudioFamily.kext and OSvKernDSPLib.kext in /E/E. BIOS setting? Deleting /S/L/E kexts?

EDIT: suddenly it works.. ?... :(

Thanks!!!!!

Rodrigo

Hi Tommy,

I've been following this thread with interest and thanks for being a great help to others in the quest to install SL.

I've a question. In post 40, you indicated that an EFI partition has to be created in one of the HD partition. In post 44, you didn't mention about this EFI partition. Is the EFI partition really needed?

Questions:

JMicronATA.kext: I deleted (and backedup) the original from /S/L/E and copied the new one in /E/E. What happens if I put the original one back in place?

- No one knows?

- It will try to load both?

- KP?

- It will load the one in /E/E and not the one in /S/L/E because it is intelligent?

What's the secret to make audio work?

I have VoodooHDA.kext, IOAudioFamily.kext and OSvKernDSPLib.kext in /E/E. BIOS setting? Deleting /S/L/E kexts?

EDIT: suddenly it works.. ?... :)

Glad to hear (no pun) your sound is working.

If you have a question about the extensions being loaded go to "About this computer" "More Info" "Extensions" and there it lists Name,Version, Last Modified, Kind (Intel or Universal), and whether its 64 bit or not. So do some experimenting with that and you'll be able to answer all your own questions instead of relying on our best guesses about your system.

After looking through your posts it looks like several of your problems with loading new kexts has been caused by not repairing permissions when you add them. Typical of the "didn't work at first and then presto, suddenly works theme"That must be done "EVERY" time you make changes to the "Extensions folder whether it's /E/E or /S/L/E. Kext utility is very handy for this. Just drop the Extensions folder on it's icon and Voila' , permissions repaired.Also try not to make more than one change at a time, reboot and see what's changed. Are you reading the logs in the console utility? Lots of good info there.

Best of luck!

Success booting up Snow Leopard!! My system has the GA 965P-DS3 rev1, Core2Duo and PowerColor HD4870 512MB.

I basically used the guide from post 44. Of course, I got KP due to ACPI and post 66 by Rodrigo helped. Thanks.

I also installed EVOenabler.kext from this guide since I am using HD4870 card.

JmicronATA.kext doesn't seem to help where I got "waiting for root device" problem. I have to set the SATA to AHCI mode in BIOS in order to boot up. Something to work on later.

No sound yet. So need to resolve this also.

Other than that, things seem to work fine. But I feel the SL is a little lagging. For eg, Safari doesn't seem to work as fast as when in Leopard. Not sure why.

Anyway, a big thanks to the guys on this thread, especially Rodrigo who started this thread and Tommy for all your guidance. And others too who have chipped in.

I keep getting

kextcache: processing architecture any
kernel extension /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/AHCIPortInjector.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions); skipping it and any plugins
kernel extension /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/ATAPortInjector.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions); skipping it and any plugins
kernel extension /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/fakesmc.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions); skipping it and any plugins
kernel extension /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions); skipping it and any plugins
kernel extension /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/IOAudioFamily.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions); skipping it and any plugins
kernel extension /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions); skipping it and any plugins
kernel extension /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/OpenHaltRestart.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions); skipping it and any plugins
kernel extension /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/OSvKernDSPLib.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions); skipping it and any plugins
kernel extension /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/PlatformUUID.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions); skipping it and any plugins
kernel extension /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions); skipping it and any plugins
kernel extension /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions); skipping it and any plugins
archive would be too large; aborting

when I try to run kextcache on my /E/E and S/L/E folders. any idea why? I ran /e/e through kext utility to fix permissions right before this